Edmonton Police Private After Hours Club

It doesn't surprise me at all. Being realistic as opposed to idealistic I realize that some cops will engage in abuse of authority. we have a few around here who do just exactly that in fact.

Angus, if the Edmonton police force has such a private, licensed bar, then other municipal forces probably also have similar licensed "late night clubs".

Membership has its privileges.

It doesn't surprise me at all. Being realistic as opposed to idealistic I realize that some cops will engage in abuse of authority. we have a few around here who do just exactly that in fact.

We probably have a few who even think the abuse of authority is a good thing.

Membership has its privileges.

and societies have their laws.

I'm surpirsed that these people (and you) think that selling alcohol outside of the legal drink purchasing hours is ok???

I'm not even sure where to start with the other accusations...

Edited by Shakeyhands

There are some bars that operate outside of what normal bar hours should be. For example there is a bar in Winnipeg called Desire that operates until 5 in the morning. I don't know how it pulls it off, but it does. Also in Winnipeg there were some bars in downtown Winnipeg that had served free booze during a promotion. Mind you I heard the service was horrible there. I don't know how that happened but it does.

Rest assured that the Edmonton cop lounge is on the up and up or the RCMP would shut that place down in a heartbeat.

It is illegal. Simple. If you or I opened an after hours club for say plumbers, we'd be charged under the liquor control act.

Just one more example of cops considering themselves above the law. if they can do that why can't I open an after hours club for other people who work non traditional hours?

If anyone else did this they would be arrested for operating a "boozecan".

I doubt it. Vending machine means retail, retail liquor laws are for all unless one off exemptions are made.

More like "who's gonna bust us?"

I agree there, I don't know the law concerning that per se. I do know that MB has strict alcohol laws and I heard of some bars operating till 3 even 5 in the morning. I'd need to see the law to make a proper judgement, if it's against the law then by all means shut it down. As far as the member's actions in the story, they are unacceptable and they should be canned.

I'd say it would be best if FTA answered this. I don't see why they would open up an illegal bar if the RCMP would investigate them in the first place and cause a big scene and lose credibility with the public. There must be a loophole in the law somewhere.

Not sure if it is a "loophole" so much as it is just simply a written exception to the normal licensing rules:

Canteen license

Canteens

Canteens are normally closed to the public. They are under the direction of the Canadian Forces, a police service, or a federal or provincial correctional training authority. Admittance is restricted to members and guests authorized by the senior officer in charge of the facility.

and this:

Hours of Operation

Class C licences, except those issued for a canteen, permit the sale of liquor from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Class C (Canteen) licensing hours are at the discretion of the senior officer in charge of the facility.

The facilities are perfectly legal...what remains to be seen I think is whether the activities going on in the facilities meet the same standard.

FTA

Not sure if it is a "loophole" so much as it is just simply a written exception to the normal licensing rules...
Thanks for that link/info, FTA.

My understanding was that provincial liquor acts leave much discretion in regulations up to municipalities. I thought that was the case here.

Rather, your links confirm my initial thought. Membership has its privileges. IOW, government officials around the world (and in Edmonton) typically exempt themselves from rules they impose on the rest of us. For example, politicians and diplomats do not have to go through security clearance at airports, police can drink beer in a club after hours and so on.

As a criminal lawyer, you might want to consider what this means for Crown Prosecutors.

Edited by August1991

Thanks for that link/info, FTA.

My understanding was that provincial liquor acts leave much discretion in regulations up to municipalities. I thought that was the case here.

Rather, your links confirm my initial thought. Membership has its privileges. IOW, government officials around the world (and in Edmonton) typically exempt themselves from rules they impose on the rest of us. For example, politicians and diplomats do not have to go through security clearance at airports, police can drink beer in a club after hours and so on.

As a criminal lawyer, you might want to consider what this means for Crown Prosecutors.

I've run into these "some pigs are more equal than others" situations before. My wife is a dental hygienist and when we first started dated in the early 80's I approached her about some plans for a forthcoming long weekend. She surprised me by saying that she wasn't sure if she was going to have the extra day off.

"What do you mean?" I asked her. "It's a stat holiday. You HAVE to get the day off!"

She explained that sometimes she did and sometimes she didn't, totally at the whim of the dentist. It seems that folks like her were specifically excluded from the Ontario Labour Act!

I didn't believe it but she pulled out a small book citing the Labour Act from Canada Manpower and showed me. Right there on the first page, about 2/3 of the way down was a paragraph that stated how staff and assistants to dentists, lawyers, doctors, engineers and other "professionals" were specifically excluded from the provisions of the Act! They weren't covered for excessive overtime or even overtime pay! Everything was up to their employer's whim.

I don't know if things have changed but I still remember thinking at the time how it was not surprising that the professional class ran the system with some benefits to suit themselves.

Edited by Wild Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What a ridiculous post. Those of you who are anti-police should remember your sentiment when you need the police to help you.

People who dislike the police should point their anger at left wing judges who release criminals who continue to re-offend.

Call it police-hating if that make you you feel better. If the club sells alcohol after hours, it breaks the law. Regardless of who owns it, and whom it servces.