Bernier in hot seat after reports

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080508/...rnier_couillard

Foreign Affairs Minister Maxime Bernier may face some uncomfortable questions Thursday after widely published reports surfaced that a former girlfriend's past included alleged ties to a biker gang. As the allegations began to emerge, opposition leaders started raising questions about Bernier. Liberal Leader Stephane Dion said there's "certainly a concern" about the suggestions, which became the buzz of Parliament Hill on Wednesday.

"Mr. Bernier needs to explain because we want to know if there were any matters of national security involved," said Dion.

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe signalled the party would raise the matter Thursday in the Commons.

Reports about Julie Couillard, who dated Bernier until recently, appeared in numerous newspapers.

Television news programs also featured a report on Bernier and Couillard.

I personally don't think Bernier did anything wrong but it probably doesn't help with the friction between him and the PMO.

The fact that she may have had a hit placed on her for involvement with Quebec bikers is a little scary. The RCMP might not have done a background check on her but Bernier probably could have have been a little more inquisitive.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argue with him about his politics not a chick that he used to screw.

He made a political decision to bring her to his swearing in as minister.

When the PMO questioned him about the woman and her dress and said that Mrs. Harper wouldn't wear something like that, Bernier's response was: "Exactly."

It appears Bernier wanted to appear urbane and daring and what he ended up doing is getting himself into a possible security mess. Quebec bikers have been linked to attacks on Corrections officials and attacks on the media. I don't know if Bernier brings briefing books home but it is food for thought.

When the PMO questioned him about the woman and her dress and said that Mrs. Harper wouldn't wear something like that, Bernier's response was: "Exactly."

It appears Bernier wanted to appear urbane and daring and what he ended up doing is getting himself into a possible security mess. Quebec bikers have been linked to attacks on Corrections officials and attacks on the media. I don't know if Bernier brings briefing books home but it is food for thought.

Yet, I'm guessing you felt there was no reason to be concerned that Gagliano did the books for mobsters and he was named by an FBI informant. Love is blind.

I don't think he did anything wrong here either. It reminds me of the reverend Wright fiasco, where instead of attacking a politican, you attack who the politician knows.

Still, I'm surprised that he doesn't seem to be saying anything about it....

The Conservatives refused Thursday in the House of Commons to answer any questions about Mr. Bernier's relationship with Ms. Couillard, including whether he knew about her background at the time he was sworn in as Foreign Affairs Minister, or whether he had discussed it with Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day.

He should just come out and say that he didn't know anything. Most people would believe him, and hopefully that would be the end of it.

Political decison of no substance. DON'T TRY to pretend that this is important. This is stupid thread, and you know it.

Talk about Child-care, Taxes, or Foreign policy etc

Bernier dipped his wick. Good for him. Are we all supposed to check all of our lovers for their past indiscretions? Sounds like stalking.

Max dipped his wick in a hot babe. You go boy. This from someone who is NOT a Tory suppotrter.

All of this is irrelevant.

What is relevant is that if someone chooses to enter public life, then one must accept all that implies. Maxim Bernier cannot enjoy all the privileges and perks of a position like MFA and then somehow avoid any of the responsibilities.

To compound the problem, this only became public knowledge after investigative reporting by a journalist working for the G & M. It suggests that Bernier was hiding something. At the very least, it shows a remarkable lack of judgment on Bernier's part.

It should be pointed out that Bernier has asked for this woman to be granted special status so that she is included in all official delegations when he travels abroad. She is a representative of the Canadian people.

If Bernier wants to enjoy the freedom that a country such as Canada offers, then he should remain a private ctizen. Once he accepts to be a senior minister, then he no longer has a private life.

Political decison of no substance. DON'T TRY to pretend that this is important. This is stupid thread, and you know it.

Talk about Child-care, Taxes, or Foreign policy etc

On the contrary, in a democracy, what the members of our government do is of critical importance. They enjoy the benefits of the public trust. We collectively give them power over us. They absolutely must be held to a higher standard.

If someone doesn't accept that responsibility, they should remain a private citizen. Bernier appears to want it both ways and it doesn't work that way.

Claude Ryan would have had the head of Maxim Bernier ages ago.

Edited by August1991

To compound the problem, this only became public knowledge after investigative reporting by a journalist working for the G & M. It suggests that Bernier was hiding something. At the very least, it shows a remarkable lack of judgment on Bernier's part.

Only if he knew. I suspect he did, but no evidence of that...yet.

It should be pointed out that Bernier has asked for this woman to be granted special status so that she is included in all official delegations when he travels abroad. She is a representative of the Canadian people.

You should change that to "asked", past tense. She is no longer with him.

It is unlikely Bernier did not know about her past since it was front page news , as is all Mom's trials and tribulations, but perhaps he thought a short memory from the press was in play.

As it was said by a former CSIS agent, the biker gangs are using certain people to be used as "moles" to get inside the governments of Canada and what better way then to used a "playboy" looking female to do it. The Liberals questions today were , was she investiagated by intelligence, not anything to do with Berniers personal relationship with her. Since they Cons wouldn't say "yes she was, then the answer has to be no and they didn't want to reveal that and so they made a big deal it to avoid the question. I wonder if she was the person James Moore was looking at on his laptop, the woman seems to get around.

As it was said by a former CSIS agent, the biker gangs are using certain people to be used as "moles" to get inside the governments of Canada and what better way then to used a "playboy" looking female to do it.

What if Bernier obtained Hell's Angels secrets from his ex-"playboy looking" girlfriend, eh? How do we know?

The Liberals questions today were , was she investiagated by intelligence, not anything to do with Berniers personal relationship with her.

To obtain a security clearance you do not have to disclose the names of your ex or current girlfriends or boyfriends. Maybe for a high level government job or politician, this info should be asked for and disclosed for investigation.

I wonder if she was the person James Moore was looking at on his laptop, the woman seems to get around.

What an inane comment!

Bernier lacks discretion. I think everyone is starting to recognize that.

What if Bernier obtained Hell's Angels secrets from his ex-"playboy looking" girlfriend, eh? How do we know?

To obtain a security clearance you do not have to disclose the names of your ex or current girlfriends or boyfriends. Maybe for a high level government job or politician, this info should be asked for and disclosed for investigation.

What an inane comment!

Well I can't say he didn't and YOU can't say he did,but I would think Bernier has enough on his plate without playing James Bond! The CSIS agent said that she should have a security clearence done on her because of who Bernier is. Hell Angels wants her dead and by Bernier going with her he's endangering himself and others in government.

Yet, I'm guessing you felt there was no reason to be concerned that Gagliano did the books for mobsters and he was named by an FBI informant. Love is blind.

I never thought Gagliano should have been any responsibility at all in the government.

I tend to think that Bernier lacks discretion and shows that he makes poor choices. He might not have done anything wrong but he showed he didn't do much right either. His personal life was blown up in glossy photos on the day he was sworn in as a minister. I'm surprised it took this long to connect his girlfriend to her biker past.

All of this is irrelevant.

Did you used to think anything Dion's mother was asked was relevant?

What is relevant is that if someone chooses to enter public life, then one must accept all that implies. Maxim Bernier cannot enjoy all the privileges and perks of a position like MFA and then somehow avoid any of the responsibilities.

If Bernier wants to enjoy the freedom that a country such as Canada offers, then he should remain a private ctizen. Once he accepts to be a senior minister, then he no longer has a private life.

On the contrary, in a democracy, what the members of our government do is of critical importance. They enjoy the benefits of the public trust. We collectively give them power over us. They absolutely must be held to a higher standard.

If someone doesn't accept that responsibility, they should remain a private citizen. Bernier appears to want it both ways and it doesn't work that way.

Claude Ryan would have had the head of Maxim Bernier ages ago.

I agree. Harper came to his defence today. That usually means your days are numbered.

Edited by jdobbin

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/423865

he link between Foreign Affairs Minister Maxime Bernier's ex-girlfriend and the Hells Angels is more than enough to warrant a national security probe, says the Bloc Quebecois, noting that organized crime gangs use "infiltration tactics."

The Conservative government continues to dismiss security concerns over Bernier's relationship with Julie Couillard, and accuse the opposition of unfairly opening up his private life.

But even the RCMP has warned about criminal infiltration of politics. As long as eight years ago, then-RCMP commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli shocked MPs by publicly stating that organized crime was targeting Parliament and other national institutions.

A former CSIS agent whose investigative work has been referenced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper backed up the Bloc position Friday.

Michel Juneau-Katsuya, a former Mountie who spent 21 years with the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, said Couillard's past biker associations demand the attention of security officials.

Bernier's year-long relationship with Couillard apparently ended recently.

All day long various security experts were on talk radio and saying Harper was wrong to dismiss concerns about Bernier's girlfriend. Some former RCMP officers were both surprised and alarmed about the lack of care that possible Hell's Angels infiltration might be mean to Parliament.

All day long various security experts were on talk radio and saying Harper was wrong to dismiss concerns about Bernier's girlfriend. Some former RCMP officers were both surprised and alarmed about the lack of care that possible Hell's Angels infiltration might be mean to Parliament.

18 posts on this thread. Jdobbin has six of them, including the last three and all the posts in the last 24 hours. I think some fresh air and Prairie scenery is what the doctor ordered.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080508/...rnier_couillard

I personally don't think Bernier did anything wrong but it probably doesn't help with the friction between him and the PMO.

The fact that she may have had a hit placed on her for involvement with Quebec bikers is a little scary. The RCMP might not have done a background check on her but Bernier probably could have have been a little more inquisitive.

You're tieing Bernier to a former girlfriend's connections to third parties. A bit of a stretch.

You probably would lambast anyone who tied Obama to the Reverend Wright.

You should change that to "asked", past tense. She is no longer with him.
Thanks for pointing that out guyser. In all honesty, I didn't have alot of time this week to pay attention. I realize now that Julie Couillard is no longer his SO. (Where Maxime Bernier is concerned, that's hardly a significant change. The guy's apparently a skirt chaser.) In any case, the issue is now moot or academic.
It is unlikely Bernier did not know about her past since it was front page news , as is all Mom's trials and tribulations, but perhaps he thought a short memory from the press was in play.
Of course he knew about her past. She was involved with not one but two Hell's Angels.

It is as if Condoleeza Rice had a boyfriend who was the brother of bin Laden. Bernier knew exactly what he was doing, and Harper too.

Harper came to his defence today. That usually means your days are numbered.
On the contrary, Harper has a reputation for taking the heat for people. As opposed to Chretien and modern day Liberals, Harper is like Trudeau: he defends colleagues and uses his reputation to protect them.

Nevertheless, with this indiscretion, Maxime Bernier just forfeited any chance he had to become PM. It was inevitable, I suspect. Other than being attractive to a specific group of the opposite sex, Maxime Bernier and Peter Mackay share another feature with some blonde women: if you shine a light in their ears, their blue eyes twinkle.

When they find evidence of Hell's Angels infiltration then I will call for Berniers job for being a fool. Til then, he can hang out with whoever he likes. After all, maybe...just maybe...she isn't a hells angel biker chick intent on destroying the country.

When they find evidence of Hell's Angels infiltration then I will call for Berniers job for being a fool. Til then, he can hang out with whoever he likes. After all, maybe...just maybe...she isn't a hells angel biker chick intent on destroying the country.

No, she appears to be only someone who has been married to one and involved with another Hell's Angel.

The RCMP warned about how the Hell's Angele was trying to infiltrate government. One can imagine this might be one way. Security matters are a public concern. Harper seems to think the hole thing is ridiculous. The security experts don't.

Edited by jdobbin