Damn that left dominated media

Behind TV Analysts, Pentagon’s Hidden Hand

Records and interviews show how the Bush administration has used its control over access and information in an effort to transform the analysts into a kind of media Trojan horse — an instrument intended to shape terrorism coverage from inside the major TV and radio networks.

Story

CBS News declined to comment...

Fox News said executives “refused to participate” in this article...

NBC News also declined to discuss its procedures for hiring and monitoring military analysts...

The story is only 11 pages long so fortunately it will probably fly under most people's radar. Its probably moot in any case.

This is not much of a surprise to me. The White House and the Pentagon both have their propaganda machines... er sorry, PUBLIC RELATIONS departments.

The MSM gets the tallking points from the White House and Pentagon. When in fact they should be living up to the journalist name and get the facts from several sources, instead of relying on what is shoved down their throats.

But if the MSM is so dominated by the left, why didn't it blow the whistle sooner or even immediately?

because the mainstream media is not dominated by the left, it is dominated by interests.

That concept of a left wing media is a scary boogey man for the "right"

It gives them someone to blame endlessly, and diverts attention from the reality of the fact that the media is dominated by large corporations , who have no interest in really informing the citizens, until long after the fact.

Look at the whole Iraq debacle to know there is nothing "left" about the media.

I was really hoping I wouldn't get such informed rational responses to this thread.

You guys take all the fun out of trolling.

Well, you do know trolling is considered a no no around here. So maybe this is one way to diffuse trollers. Show them reason. But alas, some trollers never quite understand that.

Kuzzad, good job !! :)

because the mainstream media is not dominated by the left, it is dominated by interests.

That concept of a left wing media is a scary boogey man for the "right"

It gives them someone to blame endlessly, and diverts attention from the reality of the fact that the media is dominated by large corporations , who have no interest in really informing the citizens, until long after the fact.

Look at the whole Iraq debacle to know there is nothing "left" about the media.

I am not trolling - I am casting our some bait without a hook.. Long have I believed that the left are just the dumber less articutated sinister hand of the same body that is has a left and right hand...leftist media in effect does the dirty work for the smarter more manipulative rightists...then the grand all powerful centralist who does not care about left or right gets to dominate by going down the middle not taking either side seriously - besides speaking of left and right - how can you take seriously a person who has his right hand amputated...and less seriously the man who has his left chopped off and has no dexterity in the right...left right left right cause a blinding and blurring vacilation of the spirit....best to have both hands well trained - personally my left hand is just as adept as my right..but some of us are one sided beings - and some like myself are superiour. HA!

Mainstream media being dominated by the left or the right or even "interests" is just hooey.

Mainsteam media is dominated by the overwhelming concern to deliver a product that readers want, and to deliver readers who are wanted by the advertisers.

If anyone thinks that an advertiser can influence the content, they have never worked in reputable outlet. Eatons was running full spreads in the dailies and the dailies wrote about the inevitable collapse of the retail giant. Banks, who make up a significant proportion of the business press advertizing revenue have not received any kid glove treatment in any of their blunders, nor do they receive any glad handed coverage when they get it right

And it goes without saying that politicians of every stripe are fair game is they are newsworthy. Just ask Mike Harris, David Peterson or Bob Rae, each of whom had been forced to run the media gauntlet for their terms.

Mainstream media being dominated by the left or the right or even "interests" is just hooey.

Mainsteam media is dominated by the overwhelming concern to deliver a product that readers want, and to deliver readers who are wanted by the advertisers.

If anyone thinks that an advertiser can influence the content, they have never worked in reputable outlet. Eatons was running full spreads in the dailies and the dailies wrote about the inevitable collapse of the retail giant. Banks, who make up a significant proportion of the business press advertizing revenue have not received any kid glove treatment in any of their blunders, nor do they receive any glad handed coverage when they get it right

And it goes without saying that politicians of every stripe are fair game is they are newsworthy. Just ask Mike Harris, David Peterson or Bob Rae, each of whom had been forced to run the media gauntlet for their terms.

Sensuality and sensationalism give the left a boner..so - it makes sense that emotionalism which is left media dominate these days - people love a show..who cares about substance and doctrines that bring about human dignity....left media pander to the base that is inherent in humanity - left wing media is akin to reading a dirty novel to a long locked up prisoner thought the key hole...it's useless and dark.

Journalistic independence.

The letter of resignation from the managing editor of the Wall St Journal

Since the acquisition last December, the new management scrupulously has avoided imposing any political or business viewpoints on our coverage and rigorously has enforced the code of conduct. I am confident that our journalistic integrity remains intact and that News Corp. is committed to a Journal that is vibrant, vital and preeminent in American journalism.

Under the terms of the editorial agreement, our independence is enforced by a Special Committee. I have met with and conveyed my thoughts to the Special Committee. Many thanks for your extraordinary dedication and support in this last year. I have no doubt the journey we embarked on together will continue to bring Journal readers the best in journalism and you and the Journal continued success.

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=126576

The article I posted isn't about a reputable advertising outlet that sells toothpaste its about a disreputable administration selling a war. Its about that governments military contractors like General Electric for example which is amongst the top five media giants I might add, and the US military influencing public support for going to war.

Most of the analysts have ties to military contractors vested in the very war policies they are asked to assess on air.

Those business relationships are hardly ever disclosed to the viewers, and sometimes not even to the networks themselves.

As if the networks really want to be seen to know. Left-wing dominated media my hairy ass. Mainsteam media is increasingly becoming dominated by the overwhelming concern to deliver a profit to its corporate owners. War, especially in the last 6 - 7 years has been extremely profitable for military contractors. Getting the public to support more funding for military spending would seem like a good idea from the perspective of a military contractor don't you think? And if you also owned a chain or three of MSM outlets you'd probably use them to the end.

Your faith in the benign benevolence you apparently think the media and corporations are infused with reminds me of the utopian faith you often accuse me of having in the goodness of people. Trust me, you've just about convinced me that most humans are indeed a complete waste of skin.

Edited by eyeball

Its about that governments military contractors like General Electric for example Blah blah Blah..

Getting the public to support more funding for military spending would seem like a good idea from the perspective of a military contractor don't you think? And if you also owned a chain or three of MSM outlets you'd probably use them to the end.

Now all you have to do is show how GE has made NBC a pro war outlet or even a pro pentagon....might be hard though.

Is the Pentagon spying on Americans?

Secret database obtained by NBC News tracks ‘suspicious’ domestic groups

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10454316/

NBC on Tuesday night devoted a story to comparing Iraq to Vietnam. Reporter Jim Miklaszewski concluded that "while there are marked differences between the wars in Iraq and Vietnam, the rhetoric, at least, is beginning to sound much the same."

http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2005/cyb20050824.asp#1

NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams led Tuesday's newscast by listing the burden of the Iraq war in years, troops, deaths and cost before Jim Miklaszewski, unlike reporters on ABC and CBS, found it newsworthy to show a man, in the Senate hearing for General David Petraeus, shouting “bring them home!” In the next story, Andrea Mitchell decided to highlight, again unlike ABC or CBS, how John McCain “stumbled...by again describing al Qaeda as Shiite” and Williams turned to Richard Engel, NBC's Iraq reporter, who described Petraeus' decision to end troop withdrawals in July as “frustrating and disheartening in that the rules of the game have changed.” Williams opened:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2...shot-mccain-too

Bucking White House, NBC says Iraq in 'civil war'

Usage increasing in news media

By Bryan Bender, Globe Staff | November 28, 2006

WASHINGTON -- NBC's "Today Show" host Matt Lauer yesterday told millions of American television viewers, many sitting at their breakfast tables, that the network would buck the White House and from now on describe the Iraq war as a "civil war."

http://www.boston.com/ae/media/articles/20...q_in_civil_war/

So you think that the CBC and CTV and CityTV, TVO political anchors are not Liberal minded? You are surely joking I hope.

Each of them backed the Liberals in the last election.

Typical Liberal arrogance, thanks Dancer, yet again. I am a reader and they do not give me stories that I want that they have out west and in the States.

Liberals live in a fantasy world where people like Dancer believe that we live in a perfect Utopia. If only they could outlaw right wing politics. Well Richard Warman is working on that, don't you worry. He is trying hard to outlaw right-wing politics. Many would say he is succeeding. So in a few years time right wing politics will be outlawed in Canada.

So you think that the CBC and CTV and CityTV, TVO political anchors are not Liberal minded? You are surely joking I hope.

Try to follow the thread and then maybe ...well...perhaps... try to have a clue about what you are talking about.

Please provide (I Know this ain't your style or forte) a cite for the above...

Something like, CTV endorses....

Alright leave it like this.

Typical Liberal arrogance, thanks Dancer, yet again. I am a reader and they do not give me stories that I want that they have out west and in the States.

Liberals live in a fantasy world where people like Dancer believe that we live in a perfect Utopia. If only they could outlaw right wing politics. Well Richard Warman is working on that, don't you worry. He is trying hard to outlaw right-wing politics. Many would say he is succeeding. So in a few years time right wing politics will be outlawed in Canada.

You know damned well that there isn't a cite Dancer. That doesn't make it untrue. You are playing with words. If the media was right winged you'd be up in arms over it just the same and you know it.

All one need do is look at the type of panels they have on the political shows. Always 2 Lefties against 1 righty...always.

Last night on CTV they were interviewing Ezra Levant and they wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise...that wouldn't be a bias...nooooo....

Edited by Qwerty

Alright leave it like this.

You know damned well that there isn't a cite Dancer. That doesn't make it untrue. You are playing with words. If the media was right winged you'd be up in arms over it just the same and you know it.

All one need do is look at the type of panels they have on the political shows. Always 2 Lefties against 1 righty...always.

Last night on CTV they were interviewing Ezra Levant and they wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise...that wouldn't be a bias...nooooo....

Is there some reason other than spamming you feel a need to recopy and paste what you have already posted....?

I take it you were unable to find a cite for your (yet again) outrageous and factually incorrect claim so now we are left to rely on your perhaps foggy memory of anecdotes?

Do you like to look foolish?

Actually it does. If they endorsed a candidate there will be a record. Of course we could be relying on your perhaps, imperfect memory or you could be just addled and confused with what, the billions of other things going on...

Yes that is all fine and good, I'm sure everyone is already aware of your pathological fear of corporations.

I think my healthy fear of corporations is a lot less pathological than the fawning adoration you've demonstrated for them.

Can I assume you were unable to find any political bias then?

The ideological bias is clear enough from the article I posted but in any case its secondary to the financial bias.

The effort, which began with the buildup to the Iraq war and continues to this day, has sought to exploit ideological and military allegiances, and also a powerful financial dynamic: Most of the analysts have ties to military contractors vested in the very war policies they are asked to assess on air.