Why So Insulting?

Shady

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, God! The hyphen typo through me right off.
Has to do with the commandment of not taking G-d's name in vain. A "Jewish-ism". Sort of the same way Canadians mis-spell "harbor", "labor" and "defense".

• Forum Admin
I understand what you're saying, Rue. And I appreciate it. Mostly I do laugh off the absurdity of it all, but what got to me is the admin allowing a name like "USHaditComing." I find that so disrespectful to Americans, and completely against the rules.

Determining whether or not someone is being disrespectful can be difficult, and Charles and I spend a lot of time and thought before ever removing anyone from these forums. However - you must realize - if I were to suspend everyone that was disrespectful to [insert name] this forum would be a lonely place.

This board is the product of a Canadian University.

I'm not sure I would call MLW a product of a Canadian University. The University of Lethbridge is a major partner in the creation of MLW, not the sole driving factor behind the site.

Determining whether or not someone is being disrespectful can be difficult, and Charles and I spend a lot of time and thought before ever removing anyone from these forums. However - you must realize - if I were to suspend everyone that was disrespectful to [insert name] this forum would be a lonely place.

I'm not sure I would call MLW a product of a Canadian University. The University of Lethbridge is a major partner in the creation of MLW, not the sole driving factor behind the site.

The name itself was disrespectful and nothing was done of it . The name...the name ...its about the name and could have been amended by you mods easily. It was obviously apparent that ushitc only wanted to troll , to incite and infuriate others.

Should someone sign up with the name charlesanthonygregare(insertdenigrationhere) do you think any of us expect to see that name tomorrow?

No.

I understand what you're saying, Rue. And I appreciate it. Mostly I do laugh off the absurdity of it all, but what got to me is the admin allowing a name like "USHaditComing." I find that so disrespectful to Americans, and completely against the rules.

This board is the product of a Canadian University. It draws interviews from politicans/national figures. As such, I feel it speaks for/represents Canada, and allowing Americans to be disrespected this way is a big disappointment. Maybe when "existential dementia" sets in it will cease to bother me. :P

I hear you!

I again say, its f..cking hard to know the line. We think we know when the line is crossed but do we? Trying to draw that line is very difficult. The name itself although I appreciate many found it insulting and maybe that is what it was intended to be, did not or does not become insulting, until there is a context in which it is used that can then be looked at. Its the conetxt that is the key to determining when the line has been crossed and not just the word or name. Some names, you are right, they are blatantly inciteful. That one, its a tough one. Its not blatantly racist or sexist. I know some of you find it insulting. I respect that. All I am saying is the moderators have to wait for some context before they can really decide.

Why I am defending Greg and Charles I do not know. Lol. No seriously, I would not want to be them. At all.

As for you guys that found the name insulting, your words, your responses, are what counts. You all responded logically and rationally as to why you did not like it and won't condone it. That is what counts. That is the best way to deal with it, your rational words.

Guest American Woman

I want to make it clear that I never expected him to be suspended for his name. I never questioned his being allowed on the board; I only questiond his handle being allowed. Other things have been edited/changed, so his name could have been too. And it wasn't just disrespectful to me as in "[insert name]," ie: one person, it was disrespectful to Americans.

It's like guyser said. (And I thank you for that, guyser.)

Anyway. I want to make it perfectly clear, again, that I was never asking for USHiC to be suspended. I didn't so much as insinuate I thought he should be. All I asked for was respect for Americans on this board. It's one thing for someone to get carried away and be disrespectful to someone in a post; it's another to be disrespectful to all Americans with every post made.

Rue gets it. I would like to add one thing: the best way to deal with a troll is to ignore him.

I want to make it clear that I never expected him to be suspended for his name.
Where did we say or even suggest he was banned for his name?

Please refer to this post.

The name...the name ...its about the name and could have been amended by you mods easily. It was obviously apparent that ushitc only wanted to troll , to incite and infuriate others.
Correct. It was obvious that he wanted to behave in a disruptive manner. For what it may be worth, it was also obvious that other members wanted to feed the trolling.

The behavior... the behavior...

I know its beside the point but Moon Unit is Zappa's daughter, Dweezil is his son.
Good point. Imagine going through grade school with those names? I sure hope he gave them normal names for peer purposes at some point.

I sure hope he gave them normal names for peer purposes at some point.

Not sure if he did, I agree though that those names would be quite a burden to bear. Dancer mentioned that his daughter is named L. Frank Zappa, anyone know what the L stands for? I've only ever heard her refered to as Moon Unit myself.

Bad names but a very talented musician, just a wee bit eccentric.

Not sure if he did, I agree though that those names would be quite a burden to bear. Dancer mentioned that his daughter is named L. Frank Zappa, anyone know what the L stands for? I've only ever heard her refered to as Moon Unit myself.

Bad names but a very talented musician, just a wee bit eccentric.

Dweezil's daughter is L.Frank....L stands for Lola.

Dwezil was born with a common name because the hospital where he was born would register Dweezil. He legally changed his name when he was a kid to Dweezil.

I'm not sure if having an odd name is such a burden, given the one I have and had while growing up in francophone east end montreal.....but having a father who was an artistic genius...now that is a cross to bear.

Guest American Woman
Rue gets it. I would like to add one thing: the best way to deal with a troll is to ignore him.

Rue isn't an American so I wouldn't expect him to know how I feel; how Americans feel. Most often people don't know how they would feel until they are affected.

As for ignoring USHiC, I did. That doesn't mean I didn't see his name all over the place, and the message it was conveying, and I don't see why I shouldn't question the name in light of the rules; why I should be expected to just ignore it. "Stevie" instead of Stephen Harper isn't ignored.

Where did we say or even suggest he was banned for his name?

Please refer to this post.

Greg had this to say to me in response to my post:

So I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't asking for him to be suspended; I wasn't questioning his being allowed to be a member. I wasn't asking for him to be removed from the forums and my comments weren't in regards to his being removed from the forum. Furthermore, I didn't for a moment think he was banned for his name. Obviously his name was allowed and that's what I have been having an issue with.

As guyser said, it was the name. Simple as that. The name. The disrespectful name.

And to clarify, I don't find it insulting; I find it disrespectful. It goes way beyond "insulting."

Edited by American Woman

Oh, okay. I didn't know you meant Dweezils daughter, I thought you were talking about Franks daughter. Now it all makes sense.

Whats wrong with Morris? It used to be a very common name. (Assuming your name is Morris, that is.)

My real name is Mayored.....

actually no.....but in french it is a euphemism for a lot of nothing....

Guest American Woman
QUOTE=American Woman @ Apr 1 2008, 10:36 AM: "Stevie" instead of Stephen Harper isn't ignored.

No thats open season again. You can use it since it is being allowed now.

Is it being allowed or is it simply remaining on the board because it's gone unreported? Anyway, it seems disrespectful names like USHaditComing won't be allowed. As for those of you who wondered if it's disrespectful, I suggest the next time you go to the States you tell Americans that they had it coming. Then do the same when you go to London. Tell them that they had it coming. And don't forget Spain, because of course they had it coming too. I'm sure no one will take offense. <_<

Maybe it's like I said-- that until people experience it they don't know how they'd feel. My Canadian friend was telling me about a huge fire that Toronto had not too long ago, on Queen Street, I think it was. He said he saw a sign that someone had put by the ashes reading "This is Toronto's 9-11;" that it's appearance was being compared to a war zone; that people were quoted as saying it felt like someone had died. He said when he saw that, he realized that people didn't have a clue as to what it was/is like at Ground Zero and what had happened there, to be comparing a fire that no one had started, much less purposely started with people in it, where there were no deaths at all, to 9-11.

With that, I'll say no more about this. At least I'll try not to. :P

Edited by American Woman

My Grandparents were born in Ireland and I grew up with the horror stories of what happened there. When I visit my Catholic first cousins over there now I hear the horrors of the Troubles. Then I come home and listen to family members in Canada who have no idea of what went on there. At first I was horrified that people could be so brain washed.

You are right, unless one was at Ground Zero we have no idea of what it was like. I watched in all, in horror, on the TV that day, right from the first and was horrified at what I saw. But I wasn't actually there.

I am wrestling with the perceptions of people on this and other boards. The stories you grow up with and the ones that others learned are so different. It always seems to annoy me when people come along and tell me I should read this or that book about what happened in Ireland. They are so surprised but this was my common knowledge, I knew all those things. Some of our families probably have more relatives in the States than they do in Canada. And it has always been my experience that 99% of the people who visit in our area are such nice people.

I wonder what the difference is though of the people on here who are so horrified to hear people say that American had it coming and then turn around and say that Iraq had it coming. I just watched an English show on Victoria's empire, remember, the one the sun never set on. We all should watch it and take a lesson from it. The basic lesson for me was that, my people, as British whites, were so sure how superiour we are. One of the things that really annoys me is to hear the strong English accent of people living here who still refers to us as the colonies with that slight emphasis on superiority.

My Grandparents were born in Ireland and I grew up with the horror stories of what happened there. When I visit my Catholic first cousins over there now I hear the horrors of the Troubles. Then I come home and listen to family members in Canada who have no idea of what went on there. At first I was horrified that people could be so brain washed.

You are right, unless one was at Ground Zero we have no idea of what it was like. I watched in all, in horror, on the TV that day, right from the first and was horrified at what I saw. But I wasn't actually there.

I am wrestling with the perceptions of people on this and other boards. The stories you grow up with and the ones that others learned are so different. It always seems to annoy me when people come along and tell me I should read this or that book about what happened in Ireland. They are so surprised but this was my common knowledge, I knew all those things. Some of our families probably have more relatives in the States than they do in Canada. And it has always been my experience that 99% of the people who visit in our area are such nice people.

I wonder what the difference is though of the people on here who are so horrified to hear people say that American had it coming and then turn around and say that Iraq had it coming. I just watched an English show on Victoria's empire, remember, the one the sun never set on. We all should watch it and take a lesson from it. The basic lesson for me was that, my people, as British whites, were so sure how superiour we are. One of the things that really annoys me is to hear the strong English accent of people living here who still refers to us as the colonies with that slight emphasis on superiority.

I would say anyone who submits approx. 15 posts a day like you, would probably seriously consider their opinion extraordinarily important.

Wouldn't you say!

I have never referred to or implied someone coming to "physical harm" as the post I was responding to did. That's what I meant by "get a grip".

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of insults, whatever happened to ScottSA? If he was banned what was the straw that finally broke the camels back?

Quite awhile ago. It's really hard when someone post incredibly stupid not to call them stupid....but if you want to post here you have to be more creative about it and he didn't have the patience.....

I can't remember who was his last target...but it was a real clanger worthy of the brain dead tinfoil cup...