Anti-consumerism

trex

I tend to think that those who complain the most about nasty consumerism, are those who can least afford to consume anything. Therefore they are really coming from envy rather than altruism, as was said, they are quite happy to have others pay and support their wants and desires.

Bingo that is exactly what fires up their anger. It's jealousy, and they cover it up under the guise of Political Ideology.

If they don't like capitialism why don't they put their money where their mouth is and go squat on an ole homestead and commence to living off the land. Don't drink the water it's most likely poisonous, the soil will need to be tested also. Don't get me started on the toxins in the ole house. But what the hay they won't be feeding the ole capitalist machine will they, those who do decide to live like this should check themselves for a third nut or nipple regularly though.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Trex, you know the saying women should be seen and not heard and they most certainly must not dispute the all knowing man. We lived through the time but we know nothing.

Margrace please, don't bruise his sensitive ego. The poor man...

Margrace please, don't bruise his sensitive ego. The poor man...

Trex I am a little surprised and wondering why the very thought of growing and canning ones own food seems to be so upseting to some on here. Since I have always done that it comes as a shock to discover what a bad dangerous person I am.

Most of the older women and quite a few of the younger ones in our area preserve their own gardens. Lately it has been by using a freezer but with the power outages it has become safer to go back to the old canning methods. Some of the older people still can meat but I never learned how to do that and would be a little leary of doing it.

My dad used to tell us that in the fall as soon as it got cold enough to freeze the meat they would kill and hang it but when the January thaws came then they would get out the barrels and salt and preserve it that way. In the summer when meat was hard to keep they had meat rings. These were several neighbours who took turns killing a beast and sharing it with the others.

We will kill our chickens this next fall and they will be frozen for Chicken soup. By that time they will be over a year old and a little tough for baking. I wonder how many on here have eaton racoon. I have and it is dark meat just like beef. In our food bank we quite often have moose, deer, bear and sometimes donated beef and pork. All these meats are kept in our freezers and were processed in government inspected slaughter houses.

Bingo that is exactly what fires up their anger. It's jealousy, and they cover it up under the guise of Political Ideology.

If they don't like capitialism why don't they put their money where their mouth is and go squat on an ole homestead and commence to living off the land. Don't drink the water it's most likely poisonous, the soil will need to be tested also. Don't get me started on the toxins in the ole house. But what the hay they won't be feeding the ole capitalist machine will they, those who do decide to live like this should check themselves for a third nut or nipple regularly though.

Moxie, what would I do without you for a healthy dose of humour and downright common sense?

Speaking of bingo, I go to a local charity bingo once a week. I'm retired, I can afford the expense and no one is going hungry because of this outing. I belong to a local Legion and some of the women members cluck-cluck at my weekly bingo venture. Once in awhile I get this comment from the supposedly morally superior: "Well, I have better things to do with my money than spend it at bingo." The fact is, these cluckers can't afford to step out of the house except for the occasional visit to the Legion for a cheap meal. It's envy all the way and I don't feel guilty whatsoever for my bingo extravagance.

I am a little surprised and wondering why the very thought of growing and canning ones own food seems to be so upseting to some on here. Since I have always done that it comes as a shock to discover what a bad dangerous person I am.

Some people come to forums with the sole purpose of being antagonists. You can tell who they are because they consistently use rudeness, condescending and veiled insults. That's how they get their "jollies". I don't know why... there is a need to "prove" things, in a sense like winning points... this is "winning" somehow, for some people.

Some will eventually grow out of it, the young ones might. The older ones are what they are. If any of you come here to score some kind of "victory", well, I pity you. I do not come here for that

No, you insult dead relatives who cannot respond to your childish rants.

But I'm still very much alive.

Actually in all your fervour you seemed to forget it really was I that remarked about your granny's cooking ability!! So, why on earth are you attacking with vengence Margrace??

(Who obviously knows how to can and preserve without spreading botulism throughout her community?? :P)

Dish it....then deal with it.

Oh sweetie, sure - so long as it isn't your Gramma's preseves!

Really BC - me thinks thou dost protest too much....

:blink:

Actually in all your fervour you seemed to forget it really was I that remarked about your granny's cooking ability!! So, why on earth are you attacking with vengence Margrace?? ....

I'm used to your immature behaviour (e.g. "Efff the USA")....margrace joined in after your post and should know better. No matter, granny and family are fine, but you will always be....you. LOL! :lol:

I'm used to your immature behaviour (e.g. "Efff the USA")....margrace joined in after your post and should know better. No matter, granny and family are fine, but you will always be....you. LOL! :lol:

And thank Goodness for that!

And yes efff (whatever that means - again your fervour overcomes you ;) ) the US Admin! Efff the Canadian Admin too!! and Heck while we are at it effff Everyone's Admin!!

Geez BC stop eating your granny's preserves! :P

Buffy and trex did either of you see that program on SCN about Escaping from Afluenza. It had some interesting stories on it, mostly American since it was made for PBS.

Here is an interesting site from it called 100 ways to Escape from Affluenza

http://www.pbs.org/kcts/affluenza/escape/action/index.html

Edited by margrace

Buffy and trex did either of you see that program on SCN about Escaping from Afluenza. It had some interesting stories on it, mostly American since it was made for PBS.

Margrace, no I haven't seen the program, is there a link or can you remember the exact title?

(I don't worry about BC, it's just sometimes I can't help but toss the dog a bone ;) ).

Margrace, no I haven't seen the program, is there a link or can you remember the exact title?

(I don't worry about BC, it's just sometimes I can't help but toss the dog a bone ;) ).

The exact title is "Affluenza" from KTCS Seattle. Sometimes we have to toss you a bone....as in interesting television productions. Talk about consumerism.....LOL!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• 6 months later...

Our wasteful ways have had many harmful consequences from peak oil to global warming, from pollution to a society addicted to work.

There will come a time when it all catches up to us. Our planet is a closed system and nothing can expand indefinitely within a closed system. It would be nice if we found a way to do it out of wisdom instead of because of a crisis. Unfortunately, there isn't much reason to believe that will happen.

If you want to do this, go ahead.

But what gives you the right to impose your anti-consumer values on other people? Why have you turned this into a crusade to raise people's consciousness or make them aware of your ideas or whatever it is that you're doing?

Why does the Left always have to harangue people and make them better? You're like an obnoxious schoolteacher.

How does posting a message on an internet forum "impose" anti-consumer values on people? Trek is not forcing you to take his/her advice, you are free to ignore it. Is there something wrong with posting an opinion on an internet forum dedicated to political opinions? :huh: