Cadman allegedly Offered Money

jdobbin

I'm sure the RCMP will see the whole transcript as will the ethics committee if that helps.

That will help a great deal.......I saw the author intterviewed on CTV or Newsworld when the story broke. He actually seemed like a nice fellow and not particularly partisan - the Publisher though, might be another story. The fact that the beginning of the transcript/tape has not been provided to the media is very troubling. I think that in the end, the RCMP will find that Harper's comments were taken out of context because of that omission.......and really, that's the biggest thrust of this "story" - that the Prime Minister knowingly participated in a "bribe". The RCMP should quickly be able to clear that up by gaining access to the entire original tape recording. I have an open mind as to whether the publisher was being partisan - or whether they were just trying to ignite a storm to sell books. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by Keepitsimple

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That will help a great deal.......I saw the author intterviewed on CTV or Newsworld when the story broke. He actually seemed like a nice fellow and not particularly partisan - the Publisher though, might be another story. The fact that the beginning of the transcript/tape has not been provided to the media is very troubling. I think that in the end, the RCMP will find that Harper's comments were taken out of context because of that omission.......and really, that's the biggest thrust of this "story" - that the Prime Minister knowingly participated in a "bribe". The RCMP should quickly be able to clear that up by gaining access to the entire original tape recording. I have an open mind as to whether the publisher was being partisan - or whether they were just trying to ignite a storm to sell books. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Even the devil plays by the rules..oh how low we have fallen - where the mythic Satan character of old actually looks like the honourable one in comparison to todays hooligans we call leaders.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/308877

LOL... well I guess it worked last time..... This should be good.

Sources say the prime minister plans to sue over allegations Liberals made pertaining to the Chuck Cadman affair.
The Independent MP's widow, now a Conservative candidate, says the incentive was a $1-million life-insurance policy, and she considered it a bribe.

Perhaps the Liberals and the NDP should sued the Conservatives for wasting taxpayers money. The bully PM thinks he can scare the Libs and if he wants to sue someone why isn't he suing the Cadman who said it in the first place! I think its definitely time for an election, Harper has proven he wasn't ready for the PMO and he apparently doesn't know the rules or hes just another crook conservative. Maloney didn't teach him how NOT to get caught.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/308877

LOL... well I guess it worked last time..... This should be good.

Post says he's already filed suit.

OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Stephen Harper has filed a libel suit against Liberal Leader Stephane Dion, deputy leader Michael Ignatieff, House leader Ralph Goodale, and the entire Liberal party in relation to last week's controversy involving the late Independent MP Chuck Cadman.

A notice of the suit, served on the parties at 7 a.m. today, claims the prime minister was libelled in "two devastatingly defamatory articles published at www.liberal.ca entitled ‘Harper Knew of Conservative Bribery' (Feb. 29, 2008) and ‘Harper Must Come Clean About Allegations of Conservative Bribery, Liberals Say' (Feb. 28, 2008)," according to the document, signed by Ottawa lawyer Richard Dearden.

Haper Sueing Dion

Harper probably took a lesson from his mentor and godfather Brian Mulroney- not just on sucking up to the US, but on creating legal havoc in Ottawa.

Harper is nothing more than a mirror image of Brian Mulroney and he must be kicked out.

It's a matter of form. First you give an opportunity for retraction and apology then you can sue.

If he files suit then he can no longer answewr any questions about it . Got to say, it could be a good move, but it could also backfire.

Seems...unPrime Ministerial....if there is such a word.

For those of you who have not actually heard Harper's voice on tape - here's a link to it. Keep in mind that the beginning of the tape is missing which would put the entire conversation in a proper context. Having said that, Harper, as usual, is being frank and honest and you can clearly see (hear) that he has nothing to hide....especially since he knows that his comments might be published in a book. This doesn't necessarily mean that the Conservative representatives didn't make an inappropriate offer - but it does indicate that Harper was not aware that they would do anything "illegal" if they did.

Link: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/HTMLTemplate?tf=...archive=CTVNews

Edited by Keepitsimple

Harper has balls of steel. I can hardly believe he would pull this, esp. with his own voice on tape saying an offer was made. You have to respect the chutzpah.
You can bet that he made sure that his case was rock solid before proceeding. As keepitsimple said: there is no evidence that Harper was aware of any inappropriate offers (assuming any were made).

Amazing! The "Law and Order" party wants everyone to look the other way when they commit a million dollar crime, yet they think average everyday working folks should go to prison and be seperated from our families for using or growing a plant. The "Jail for Joints" party certainly is exhibiting some double standards when it comes to being " Tough on Crime". Where are the mandatory sentence requirements for corrupt prime ministers? Only a conservative could view bribeing an mp and subverting democracy as less of a crime than some young people growing a few pot plants and using their natural right to self-medicate. So Marc Emery deserves 30 years to life for selling Cannabis seeds but Harper and his crew shouldn't even be investigated over trying to buy their way into power? I even hear some of the same people who condemn Marc Emery for "breaking the law" to achieve his political goals justifying the conservative party doing the same thing. Doing the angels work? Oh please. I'd love to see harper and his co-conspirators do some jail time over this but I highly doubt that will happen, not too many rich white guys in prison in this country. They will never get what they deserve but I hope Canada will get what it deserves, a different government. Layton deserves our support and I say we should give it to him. In every riding we must send a message and vote strategically to keep conservatives out. If that means voting for a Liberal, then by all means do it, the lesser evil and all that.

Why are they keeping Dona Cadman if she says that an insurance offer was made? Why didn't Harper deny there was an offer made or say "What are you talking about?" Why does Harper talk about financial offers? What were those financial offers?

The back pedaling begins.... I wonder if there was an offer made for this too?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/03/03/...-statement.html

"I recall specifically asking him if he was aware of a million-dollar insurance policy offer that upset Chuck [Cadman] so much," she said in a news release issued Monday.

"He looked me straight in the eyes and told me he had no knowledge of an insurance policy offer. I knew he was telling me the truth; I could see it in his eyes.

Amazing! The "Law and Order" party wants everyone to look the other way when they commit a million dollar crime
Gawd this is getting annoying. Why do so many people seem to be unable to distinguish fact from fiction? There was no million dollar offer according to the CPC and Chunk Cadman's own words. The only evidence comes from his widow who may believe she is telling the truth but that does not mean she actually knows what she is talking about. Edited by Riverwind

I don't think it would be appropriate for a sitting PM to be initiating lawsuits with other citizens. Perhaps he should step aside until it's resolved.

You don't think politicians should have the same legal protection as the next guy?

Why?

You don't think politicians should have the same legal protection as the next guy?

Why?

There is the potential for a conflict of interest and judicial manipulation when the PM is suing people. Sure, he should have the same legal protection. He should just step aside until the case has been decided.

There is the potential for a conflict of interest and judicial manipulation when the PM is suing people. Sure, he should have the same legal protection. He should just step aside until the case has been decided.

Judicial Manipulation? I think that 9is a stretch...if that is the case ten there is p[otential for manipulation of every suit, every charge in and out of office by Parliament. If indeed that is the case, it requires an overhaul of the judiary and a simple step aside is not enough.

BTW, i don't see it as being the case and I think if any member tried to influence a judge in a case they were or were not involved in, they would be forced to step down and possible worse....

Harper probably took a lesson from his mentor and godfather Brian Mulroney- not just on sucking up to the US, but on creating legal havoc in Ottawa.

Harper is nothing more than a mirror image of Brian Mulroney and he must be kicked out.

Maybe, but the problem is that would give us Dion!

From bad to worse! Frying pan or fire.

We're doomed!