Alberta Election

Your right with that. There are actually few rural ridings once you consider the smaller cities.

My prediction

PC 55

LIB 20

WRA 5

NDP 3

I like your numbers it would mean Ed would be booted at the very first leadership review, and Ted would have a shot again.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your numbers it would mean Ed would be booted at the very first leadership review, and Ted would have a shot again.

Vote for anybody you want, just vote. My hope is that the PC Party gets a rude wakening, I am betting on vote splitting surprises all over the place. That is a high hope, but what is life without hope?

Ok, I am a young voter, who believes strongly in voting, but here's my beef for today.

I do not know where my polling station is and elections.ab.ca does not work. It freezes before it tells you where your voting station is, and when you call the 877-422-8683 contact us number, it is busy, busy, busy.

How do they expect to increase the dwindling voter turnout when people who want to vote can't even find out where their polling station is. It surprises me that they can't even put up a website that is able to handle traffic on election day.

If anyone knows of another place I can get this information... Please let me know.

:wacko:

Ok, I am a young voter, who believes strongly in voting, but here's my beef for today.

How do they expect to increase the dwindling voter turnout when people who want to vote can't even find out where their polling station is.

Some folks need to be taken by the hand and spoon fed. :rolleyes:

Gee whiz, busy on election day. Imagine that!

I'd welcome 'Ted' having a shot again, particularly if he repeats the grievous error of welcoming the fundies aboard his campaign.

He got slapped down once, an encore would be welcome.

Ted Morton was rejected not just by Tories, but by all Albertans since thousands of non-Tories joined the Party to make sure Morton had no chance of winning.

A modern democracy has no place for idiocrats like Morton.

I'd welcome 'Ted' having a shot again, particularly if he repeats the grievous error of welcoming the fundies aboard his campaign.

He got slapped down once, an encore would be welcome.

Ted Morton was rejected not just by Tories, but by all Albertans since thousands of non-Tories joined the Party to make sure Morton had no chance of winning.

A modern democracy has no place for idiocrats like Morton.

If Stelmach goes down it's going to be corporate Jimmy from Calgary that is your next leader. More then likely will be asking someone who just fought through an election to give up their seat for him.

In looking at the answers to my question earlier I understand the concept of smaller cities and such but shouldn't the electoral boundaries reflect where the population is? I mean if Edmonton and Calgary carry 2/3 of Alberta's population shouldn't they carry 2/3 of the seats? It seams like pretty simple math to me?

In looking at the answers to my question earlier I understand the concept of smaller cities and such but shouldn't the electoral boundaries reflect where the population is? I mean if Edmonton and Calgary carry 2/3 of Alberta's population shouldn't they carry 2/3 of the seats? It seams like pretty simple math to me?

Firstly they aren't 2/3rds of the population. That's just a convenient rounding off. They are not 66% of the population but 62% of the population. They have 51 of 83 seats. The remaining 32 seats are among the other 38%. Most of those are not 'rural' but cities. Have you been to Red Deer? Lethbridge, etc.?

As stated, the provincial ridings are more evenly distributed by population than the federal ridings. There are only a few rural ridings in Alberta with significanly less population than urban ridings. In contrast there are federal ridings in Canada that are ony 20% the size of others. MLAs and MPs represent their constituants and it's recognized that representing a riding spanning hundreds of kilometers is much more difficult than one compact as in a city. The MLA for Wood Buffalo or Peace River can't be everywhere at once.

If Stelmach goes down it's going to be corporate Jimmy from Calgary that is your next leader. More then likely will be asking someone who just fought through an election to give up their seat for him.

Stelmach won't go down. He's going to win a decisve majority.

And it would be Jimmy? How do you knpw that? It was suppose to be Jimmy last time...just like it was going to be Ignatieff for the Federal Liberals. Giulliani for the Republicans. Hillary for the Democrats.

Such assumptions are folly.

Firstly they aren't 2/3rds of the population. That's just a convenient rounding off. They are not 66% of the population but 62% of the population. They have 51 of 83 seats. The remaining 32 seats are among the other 38%. Most of those are not 'rural' but cities. Have you been to Red Deer? Lethbridge, etc.?

As stated, the provincial ridings are more evenly distributed by population than the federal ridings. There are only a few rural ridings in Alberta with significanly less population than urban ridings. In contrast there are federal ridings in Canada that are ony 20% the size of others. MLAs and MPs represent their constituants and it's recognized that representing a riding spanning hundreds of kilometers is much more difficult than one compact as in a city. The MLA for Wood Buffalo or Peace River can't be everywhere at once.

Ok well I'm not saying the federal formula is any better, there is only two truly urban ridings in Edmonton federally, that being Strathcona and Edmonton-centre the rest get attached to some part of rural Alberta. For example Rona Ambrose riding is 170st west, Spruce Grove, Stony Plain and others. I think the federal formula sucks even harder. Only other question is why is it the Alberta legislature works the least amount of days of any leg don't they? I mean actually sitting in the leg?

I do not know where my polling station is and elections.ab.ca does not work. It freezes before it tells you where your voting station is, and when you call the 877-422-8683 contact us number, it is busy, busy, busy.

How do they expect to increase the dwindling voter turnout when people who want to vote can't even find out where their polling station is. It surprises me that they can't even put up a website that is able to handle traffic on election day.

If anyone knows of another place I can get this information... Please let me know.

Call Brian Mason. He'll steal a bus and drive you to the polling station himself. If you voted for him,, that would be a 100% increase. ;)

So what happened to the "Edmonton will go PC and Calgary will go Liberal"?

That's all the pundits have been talking about for the last week.

Looks like that came somewhat true... the Liberals did pick up two so far in Calgary, but lost several in Edmonton.

I'm almost in shock at the Liberals collapse. I fought they would gain some seats but not come out with less. They really have to get rid of Taft and look in the mirror at whether they want to continue with some of there policies.

My prediction: (drum roll, please)

Conservative 63

Liberal 18

NDP 2

I was off by 10 seats or so. I'll give myself a B.

The PCs did better in the Edmonton area than I thought they would. My Calgary riding went Liberal (I didn't expect it). I voted Green and am glad at least here they topped the NDPoops.

The people have spoken.