Crappy Right Wing Policies

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually totally agree with sideshow there, the government has no business interfering in acts between consenting adults. It is none of the governments business what 2 adults do in the privacy of their bedroom. I would take that even further in that the government also has no right to enact laws governing what we as adults may choose to consume. If i choose to buy, sell or consume cannabis, that is my right, and no business of the government. The health effects have no bearing on this right. Fat people are free to purchase french fries and double cheeseburgers.

I can legally purchase rat poison if i want to, even sell it to a minor. Conservatives are the furthest thing from small government imagineable. You cannot have a big drug war and small government simultaneously. The less interaction one needs to have with government the better, it makes me laugh when authoratarian regimes try to pass themselves off "small government"

C'mon sideshow, even left wingers like gossip. That's all it is....gossip. Public personalities fall prey to it all the time.

Actually I think the fact that he's gay was brought up not to gossip but to discredit him as being obviously anti-conservative. Kind of gives an indication of the overall mindset there.

"Almost" only counts in horseshoes. :P

Wrong it's "Only counts in horseshoes and hand granades".

Coot, how can you discredit somone by calling them gay? They are equal in the eyes of the law, so why is it a smear? It must be leftwing thang of over sensitive feelings, kisss kisss hugg huggs. Gag me with a spoon.

I can't help but laugh at the far left screaming the sky is falling, Harper is a fascist. He's bringing back the death penality blah blah. Honest to god you guys see a blue sky instead of stating what a lovely day you state it's "Global Warming" Harper is distroying the planet. No one bllieves your histronic blather, no one but your breathren.

The far left are such hypocrites, it's funny. :lol:

Coot, how can you discredit somone by calling them gay? They are equal in the eyes of the law, so why is it a smear? It must be leftwing thang of over sensitive feelings, kisss kisss hugg huggs. Gag me with a spoon.

Because there was an obvious assumption that like-minded conservatives would take the information that he is gay and agree that this fellow was clearly on the other team, as it were. I should have clarified: this would discredit him in fellow conservatives' eyes.

Edited by coot

Actually I think the fact that he's gay was brought up not to gossip but to discredit him as being obviously anti-conservative. Kind of gives an indication of the overall mindset there.

You read those intentions from this post?

More off topic, what the deuce, Rick Mercer is gay?

You are definitely reading too much into it.

Nothing about Mercer's political leanings were mentioned at all.

The knee-jerk anger of the left for daring to question their world truths is pretty sad.

Nothing about Mercer's political leanings were mentioned at all.

Lets see...he is a big supporter of the military and holds politicians in equal amounts of awe and contempt....

He sounds like a patriotic canadian....

But the fact that somebody, who isn't a Harper hater, mentioned his sexual orientation must mean homophobia was at work.

He said:

...that's how Bob Rae described the Tories/Reagan/Harris in his interview with the sympathetic gay CBC Newfie Rick Mercer.

Why else would he mention he's gay, affiliated with the CBC, and resident of Newfoundland in this context other than to bolster his position that Mercer is pro-Liberal/anti-Conservative? If you can come up with another interpretation, I'm interested.

And BTW, rather than contemptuously refer to people who make any criticism as "Harper haters," you would acquiescently serve your party better to paint dissent in less extreme terms. It kind of makes you look like a bunch of corybantic extremists.

Edited by coot

Why else would he mention he's gay, affiliated with the CBC, and resident of Newfoundland in this context other than to bolster his position that Mercer is pro-Liberal/anti-Conservative? If you can come up with another interpretation, I'm interested.

1. The interview was done on the CBC, so that is relevant. It explains the context of where the interview took place. That's a plausible interpretation.

2. Is being from Newfoundland bound to make someone pro-Liberal/anti-Conservative? 3 of their 7 MPs are Conservatives. They have a Conservative premier. Nope don't see that connection. Newfoundlanders often have their province of origin mentioned, as do Albertans, and Quebeckers, and pretty much anyone not from Ontario. A means of putting a person into context for those from the centre of the universe. That's a plausible interpretation.

3. Mercer and Rae were nekkid together on tv. Pasty white arses and all. Some people might want to know the orientation of the participants, given the full context of the interview. Should it be a standard piece of information? Prob'ly not. Is an interview where the participants get nekkid together standard, except on Bravo? Prob'ly not.

You asked for an interpretation.

I have provided a standard one.

If Harper were really homophobic would he have let Mercer play with his kids in their pajamas? Think about it...

Is my interpretation plausible? Yes.

I'm not asking if you agree with the interpretation, but it is it plausible. To common folk who don't through out terms like 'Corybantic extremists'... like 99.95% of the Canadian population. :rolleyes:

'Corybantic extremists'? Sorry never took classics in university. Too focused on getting a job afterwards. :lol:

'Corybantic extremists'? Sorry never took classics in university. Too focused on getting a job afterwards. :lol:

I will edify you. It means you're so hung up on your us-versus-them mentality that you force people into opposing camps and, in so doing, alienate a good portion of the population that might otherwise be on your side.

But I used the term to provide you with a distraction to try to divert the subject. I like providing a few obvious crutches to the crippled debaters here. Next I might give some material so that you can attack my character.

But if your interpretation is valid, then what was the relevance of those three adjectives in the context of the word "sympathetic?" Perhaps August could explain.

Edited by coot

3. Mercer and Rae were nekkid together on tv. Pasty white arses and all. Some people might want to know the orientation of the participants, given the full context of the interview. Should it be a standard piece of information? Prob'ly not. Is an interview where the participants get nekkid together standard, except on Bravo? Prob'ly not.

If Harper were really homophobic would he have let Mercer play with his kids in their pajamas? Think about it...

Oh dear god.... :lol:

Is it that big a deal that somebody mentioned it though?

It's a little disturbing that merely mentioning his sexual orientation gets him jumped on and attacked.

Of course it’s not a big deal to mention that someone is gay, and no one is “jumping on” or “attacking” anyone either (other than you by calling anyone who shows the slightest bit of disagreement with CPC policy a “Harper hater.”). In fact, I congratulate August for being so honest as to portray what he considers the CPC's true relationship with gay people.

By using Mercer's homosexuality as an indication that he must be sympathetic to the Liberals rather than the CPC demonstrates that among Conservative Party supporters there is a perception that gays are not part of their camp. I’m certainly not saying that all CPCers are homophobic and kudos to Harper for letting his kids near a queer, but you might want to ask August why he feels that gays, by their queerness, would not favour CPC policies. Because I think his perception speaks volumes about the image and mindset of the party in general.

Also, I find your attitude towards average Canadians rather patronizing by your suggestion that they have a limited vocabulary and could be easily convinced that August's obvious intention was something else entirely. They're much smarter than you think.

By using Mercer's homosexuality as an indication that he must be sympathetic to the Liberals rather than the CPC demonstrates that among Conservative Party supporters there is a perception that gays are not part of their camp. I’m certainly not saying that all CPCers are homophobic and kudos to Harper for letting his kids near a queer, but you might want to ask August why he feels that gays, by their queerness, would not favour CPC policies. Because I think his perception speaks volumes about the image and mindset of the party in general.

Also, I find your attitude towards average Canadians rather patronizing by your suggestion that they have a limited vocabulary and could be easily convinced that August's obvious intention was something else entirely. They're much smarter than you think.

There was no link substantiated between Mercer's sexual orientation and the party he supports. Only one you inferred.

I provided you with a plausible alternative explanation for August's post, which you conveniently ignored.

Yeah, questioning the use of the term 'corybantic' was patronizing to Canadians. :rolleyes:

I bet if Mercer did his man on the street interviews and asked 100 Canadians for the meaning he'd get a positive response of less than 2%.

Guessing I hit the nail on the head with the useless Classics course in undergrad.

I like providing a few obvious crutches to the crippled debaters here. Next I might give some material so that you can attack my character.

You call me a crippled debater and than accuse me of being patronizing? Wow!

What the hell does corybantic mean?

Your explanation wasn't plausible; it was a joke. I didn't ignore it. I noted that you deliberately ignored the key word of the sentence "sympathetic" and failed to note how those three adjectives were supporting that term. You have continued to fail to address this.

Edited by coot

Your explanation wasn't plausible; it was a joke. I didn't ignore it. I noted that you deliberately ignored the key word of the sentence "sympathetic" and failed to note how those three adjectives were supporting that term. You have continued to fail to address this.

No, the joke was the connection between the description of Rick Mercer and the Liberal Party of Canada.

Do tell how not noting the word 'sympathetic' detracted from my explanation...

btw, CBC and Newfie (slang for Newfoundlander) are both nouns, not adjectives.

Boy for a guy who throws out terms like corybantic perhaps you should work on your basic grammar to start.

No, the joke was the connection between the description of Rick Mercer and the Liberal Party of Canada.

Do tell how not noting the word 'sympathetic' detracted from my explanation...

btw, CBC and Newfie (slang for Newfoundlander) are both nouns, not adjectives.

Boy for a guy who throws out terms like corybantic perhaps you should work on your basic grammar to start.

My grammar is always perfect.

I looked up corybantic; it means hysterical. Whodathunk?

Yes, they're all nouns but, again, August said:

If I'm not mistaken that's how Bob Rae described the Tories/Reagan/Harris in his interview with the sympathetic gay CBC Newfie Rick Mercer.

If you understood basic, literally Grade 9 grammar, you would know that in this context, these nouns are being used as adjectives.

And finally, as the coup de grace, not noting the word "sympathetic" as in "symathetic to the Liberals" detracted from (and deliberately avoided) the very meaning of the sentence, which I have, once again, quoted above.

Presently, I am chuckling corybantically or, in the vernacular, lol.

I looked up corybantic; it means hysterical.

You looked it up after you used it? :rolleyes:

If you understood basic, literally Grade 9 grammar, you would know that in this context, these nouns are being used as adjectives.

I get it. Your 'context' is different. Thus ignoring basic rules of grammar and common sense make sense within the 'context' you inhabit.

Too bad you are the only one on that board operating in that 'context' ..... maybe it's a good thing. :lol:

I like providing a few obvious crutches to the crippled debaters here. Next I might give some material so that you can attack my character.

So by stating I don't understand basic grammar, you are proving yourself to be a crippled debater and provided yourself with the material to attack my character.

Bravo sir, bravo!