The Physical Decay Of Christian Churches

Oleg Bach

There is a grand old church on my street built in the late 1800s. The bell tower is coming apart. There are plants rooting in the stone work that are seperating brick and mortar. The base is crumbling and no one seems to notice. I have seen at least a dozen old churches coming apart at the seams becaue there is no money and worse ..they have what appears to be what is left of their membership people that are either to old or to lazy do do the basic maintenance themselves. As Christendom is turning to powder, There are very expensive Mosques going up of the finest material and of the greatest beauty. These institutions are being built and funded by mostly Saudi money. So if the so-called terrorists don't effect us from abroad - the children of Islam will surely displace us from within.

It is a shame that even the historic value of our wonderful old Christian churches is not being respected let alone the cultural. Speaking to a very young Muslim man he did say one thing as far as what he was taught by his father. That we are infidels and will slowly be pushed aside. That if need be they will breed what is left of the old white Christian out of existance. When the Muslim sees what is left of the remnants, the decendents of Christianity - all they see are the poor white trash types who have been secualrized to the point that poverty is rampant and as well as fatherlessness, along with the fact that traditional Christian fellowship is gone and what used to support the community is now - a nasty corporate left wing welfare system - The view most whites as infidels - and they are right. Most have lost their fidelity.

Oleg,

It's unclear from your post if you're railing against whites, Muslims, or both. In any case, you've overstating the problem. Find a Muslim who grew up in Toronto, and you'll find someone who is more Canadian than Pakistani, Somali, or wherever they came from.

They watch Much Music, they play basketball, they go to watch American movies just like all the kids.

If they're more religious than the average Canadian kid, then that might be a good thing. The hybrid in a population is stronger, as a rule.

Oleg,

It's unclear from your post if you're railing against whites, Muslims, or both. In any case, you've overstating the problem. Find a Muslim who grew up in Toronto, and you'll find someone who is more Canadian than Pakistani, Somali, or wherever they came from.

They watch Much Music, they play basketball, they go to watch American movies just like all the kids.

If they're more religious than the average Canadian kid, then that might be a good thing. The hybrid in a population is stronger, as a rule.

No - you misinterpret. There is no dislike of any group by me here. I do not rally against anyone- I observe and report. I have seen Muslims in Canada who hate and loath the Christians and atheist or secularist. I have seen contained fury against our culture in some. In the alternative I have seen Muslims who would bring a glass of cool water to my daughter while hospitilized while all others did not. There is sweetness in some and hate and bitterness combined with contempt in others. As for the Muslim I mentioned - they young one. He was raised in the projects - and those that are raised in depressed areas see the white population that is also depressed and oppressed and marginalized..Because this is all some Muslims see in Canada they assume that all of us are infidels and lowly...that we have never had a faith of our own - and yes these poor and down trodden withing our culture are de-based that is a fact.

Getting back to this kid that would visit our home. This young man generated by Canadian culture and of a Muslim family - was three things - and totally conditioned by our liberal culture. He was gay - he over endulged in alchohol - he liked his drugs and on some occassions operated as a male prostitute..was he a common occurance? Probably not - but if this is the great western freedom offered to the children of immigrant Muslims...well apparently this kid embraced the lower parts of Canadian culture - that was part of my point - I could have sworn this thread was about the decay of our relgious buildings..pay attention and try not to look for fault in me.

I'd like to think that Canadian culture at least still contains some essence of "we". Even amongst the various groups that post here, there is some concern that those of us assembled in this basket of asymmetric backgrounds call Canada would like us to move forward with a plan that promotes the common good.

Aside from that, I don't know what Canadian should mean.

There is a grand old church on my street built in the late 1800s. The bell tower is coming apart. There are plants rooting in the stone work that are seperating brick and mortar. The base is crumbling and no one seems to notice.

On the positive side, if Jesus was a carpenter, this has to be driving him nuts. Maybe he'll come down and fix it himself.

Oleg,

Christianity in Canada is basically worn out, degraded in our modern society, mostly, by science and technology

Islam on the other hand is still right out of the stone age with its imported followers also from countries with few diversities and not bothered or influenced by modern society.

This in my mind creates a potent combination of old time religious values and believes vs. Canada and Canadians, a modern society.

I believe Canada will pay dearly for allowing this type of immigration.

Edited by Leafless

Dumb, ignorant thread.

It is a shame that even the historic value of our wonderful old Christian churches is not being respected let alone the cultural. Speaking to a very young Muslim man he did say one thing as far as what he was taught by his father.
The measure of society is not its buildings.

German buildings were destroyed in WWII. Documentaries show the destruction in Berlin.

Yet, by 1960, Germany was as wealthy as in 1930. Why? The wealth of a society is not in its buildings. It is in its people. Most Germans survived the war.

----

The great wealth of Western Civilization is our knowledge and understanding of life, not our buildings or landmarks.

Dumb, ignorant thread.

The measure of society is not its buildings.

German buildings were destroyed in WWII. Documentaries show the destruction in Berlin.

Yet, by 1960, Germany was as wealthy as in 1930. Why? The wealth of a society is not in its buildings. It is in its people. Most Germans survived the war.

----

The great wealth of Western Civilization is our knowledge and understanding of life, not our buildings or landmarks.

Germany made a quick comeback because it was key to defending the "free world" from the advance of Communism, so the USA poured lots of money into rebuilding it. But yes, there is also some credit due to the German mindset, the predisposition towards industry and hardwork. For all of the blame that it has for the Nazi era, Germany shows what a nation that is not divided against itself can accomplish when there is the need.

One thing that the Germans did make a point of doing is rebuilding or repairing its damaged and destroyed architectural heritage. Germans value this aspect of their history because it does have significance; it defines culture and is fundamental to a people's identity.

The loss of our architectural heritage in Canada is a significant problem. To me the destruction of old churches is indicatve of the mindset of this country, and growing anti-Christianism.

Germany made a quick comeback because it was key to defending the "free world" from the advance of Communism, so the USA poured lots of money into rebuilding it.
And East Germany?

The wealth of a society is its people - what resides between their ears - not its buildings or land. Germany after the war is proof that human capital is of greater value than physical capital.

And returning to the OP, the loss of churches is less problematic than the loss of some Christian values.

To me the destruction of old churches is indicatve of the mindset of this country, and growing anti-Christianism.

To me the destruction of old churches is indicative of just how cheap christians are.

It of course has nothing to do with anti christianity , because being anti is not doing any physical harm to these buildings.Nor with mindset

Tell you what, you want to the tax break? You want the church bldgs to survive? The open your goddamned wallet and dole out the cash. Real simple solution. You are welcome and I will invoice you shortly.

OR....

We could offer support via the Feds to help in the rebuilding of churches. But that comes with a stipulation that the Charter is respected.

So when Johnny and Harold want to rent the "christian" church to get married......you will agree. S'alright with you?

No....didnt think so.

Take your pick you christians.....pay for it yourself or lose the exclusivity.

To me the destruction of old churches is indicative of just how cheap christians are.

It of course has nothing to do with anti christianity , because being anti is not doing any physical harm to these buildings.Nor with mindset

Tell you what, you want to the tax break? You want the church bldgs to survive? The open your goddamned wallet and dole out the cash. Real simple solution. You are welcome and I will invoice you shortly.

OR....

We could offer support via the Feds to help in the rebuilding of churches. But that comes with a stipulation that the Charter is respected.

So when Johnny and Harold want to rent the "christian" church to get married......you will agree. S'alright with you?

No....didnt think so.

Take your pick you christians.....pay for it yourself or lose the exclusivity.

There are such wonderful buildings that are works of art..that are not replaceable. I was in one a while ago and there is no money - You have a few little old ladies and a couple of young people and maybe two or three able bodied men - they don't have the followers anymore..I wonder how they get buy. The priests in this old Anglican building are struggling. BUT still managage to take trips abroad on "buisess" as one of the holy wifes called it..use to be "missions" - I really do not think that these buildings will ever be filled with people again - Christainity has shifted way to be practice on the edge of strip malls on the outter edge of the core. Most are black baptist types that attend. Maybe we should let the Anglican churches be taken over by the black community - then we could really rock out with some gospel choirs and percussion! Hah la luyah!

There are such wonderful buildings that are works of art..that are not replaceable. I was in one a while ago and there is no money - You have a few little old ladies and a couple of young people and maybe two or three able bodied men - they don't have the followers anymore..I wonder how they get buy. ....

.... Most are black baptist types that attend. Maybe we should let the Anglican churches be taken over by the black community - then we could really rock out with some gospel choirs and percussion! Hah la luyah!

It is true that it would not be a good thing to lose some of the churches since they are such marvels.

But , it has to be one or the other. They could do the right thing and sell it. Since many are on land that is worth millions, surely they could take the money and build a nice little church in some strip mall somewhere seeing as they have niether the numbers nor the cash to keep them up.

But if they want the govt to hand some over , well that comes with stipulations.

Religion is slowly losing it's place in society, if it wants to survive it needs to change. The old churches, and there are many, go up for sale all the time here in NS and wealthy foreigners buy then and turn them into cottages. The exterior stays the same and the interior gets a facelift, good for the economy and a lovely old building is loved again. It doesn't matter what one's race or skin color is, it's the color of money that decides who gets to buy it.