Will Brian Mulroney kill Stephen Harper's political career like he

Will Brian Mulroney kill Stephen Harper's political career like he did to Kim Campbell?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you think Brian Mulroney just killed the career of Stephen Harper? Immediately after this bombshell, Harper's poll numbers seemed to have dropped quite a bit and the Liberals seem to have retaken the lead they lost in 2005.

Will Harper be the next victim of Mulroney's unpopularity like Kim Campbell was in 1993?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think Brian Mulroney just killed the career of Stephen Harper? Immediately after this bombshell, Harper's poll numbers seemed to have dropped quite a bit and the Liberals seem to have retaken the lead they lost in 2005.

Will Harper be the next victim of Mulroney's unpopularity like Kim Campbell was in 1993?

One can only hope. The chip on Brian's shoulder is pretty big. He left Kim in a no win scenario just so he could avoid the same result under his leadership.

OH GOD LETS HOPE SO !!!! thanks for trying to cheer me up!

To answer the rabid frothing at the beginning of this thread, I post excerpts of an editorial in today's Edmonton Sun (link). I suspect that Canadians are smart enough to realize that this is a case where a person of quality and integrity, Harper, is being slimed by the likes of the people discussed in this editorial.

I sure hope so. Excerpts below:

Bigger Fish to Fry

Try probing various Liberal scandals instead of Mulroney dealings

If Mulroney were a Liberal, would there be a public inquiry into his private business dealings?

The feeding frenzy over the allegations made against former prime minister Mulroney by Karlheinz Schreiber, a man desperate to avoid extradition to Germany where he faces a lengthy jail term for fraud and other charges and has been shown to lie under oath repeatedly, says a lot about the media bias in this country against Conservatives and the kid-glove treatment awarded Liberals.

There isn't enough room in this newspaper to adequately cover Liberal scandals that should have had public inquiries but didn't, so I'll just focus on one: What Chretien and his cronies did to Francois Beaudoin when he was president of the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC).

Beaudoin is the bureaucrat who had the gall to say "no" to Chretien in 1996 and was nearly destroyed for doing so.

He refused to approve a $1.6 -million loan to Chretien's associate, Yvon Duhaime, a convicted criminal with a bad credit history and the owner of the Grand-Mere Inn in Chretien's Quebec riding.

That's when a $615,000 loan was given to Duhaime against Beaudoin's judgment, eventually forcing him out of his job.

ABUSE OF POWER

But the abuse of power didn't end there. Through press releases and leaks, Carle and Vennat attempted to destroy Beaudoin's reputation in what a Quebec judge called a "vendetta" when they accused Beaudoin of "irregularities" and they stripped him of his pension.

The 2003-04 annual report of Canada's Information Commissioner, reports that the BDC's proceedings against Beaudoin cost $4.3 million.

The answer to the opening question? Not a chance.

Edited by jbg

I certainly hope this will help to get rid of that Fascist. Harper is the worst thing to happen to this country since the birth of emily murphy, white supremacist.

The sooner we get rid of Harper and his supposi' Tories the better for Canadians.

Try that post here (link).

Harper will get his majority government at the next election, which I think he will call as soon as it is obvious that the Mulroney inquirey will once again be nothing of substance. Schrieber will be gone in two weeks and he will have to testify from Germany via video link, and maybe if it becomes necessary Germany will bring him to testify in person. So all this stuff will in the end only make Harper more popular and of Course the Liberals even more pathetic then they are now.

It is very obvious to anyone who is thinking that there just is no way to bring Harper into any of this, and by immediately calling a public inquirey, he is assured clean hands in all of it. Schrieber has already pulled his horns in and will probably keep them in for quite some time, as he now has to think about how what he says here will affect his trial in Germany, and that trial is a sure thing one way or another.

The Liberals are so pathetic that even when it is obvious that they have been used by a man trying to avoid extradition, they still try to make that monkey fly, and we all know monkeys do not fly. But I guess if you are Dion and everyone in your own party can not understand why you have not resigned yet, this make for a diversion so he can think a bit without any more knives in the back. I even think Iggy knows that in the next leadership race that Manley, Goodall, and other high profile Liberals will run, which will mean he will not ever get close to leading the party. I would assume by now he is dusting off his resume and looking for a profressorship somewhere. But it is not going to happen before the next election.

Harper may even make his proposal to dismantel the gun registry a confidence vote and see if he can provoke an election over that. My guess would be that Harper right now is not going to put up with any more crap and he will either force and election soon or call one on his own. Once the public see the Liberals in election mode well it will not be pretty. I just can not wait for the debates.

I certainly hope this will help to get rid of that Fascist. Harper is the worst thing to happen to this country since the birth of emily murphy, white supremacist.

The sooner we get rid of Harper and his supposi'Tories the better for Canadians.

Whilst I find this funny.. it has no place on this board. You really should edit it out.

Harper may even make his proposal to dismantel the gun registry a confidence vote and see if he can provoke an election over that. My guess would be that Harper right now is not going to put up with any more crap and he will either force and election soon or call one on his own. Once the public see the Liberals in election mode well it will not be pretty. I just can not wait for the debates.

If he wants to provoke an election, he will make it a confidence vote. He hasn't because it is the type of thing that loses elections.

Old-bold and crusty we already know you are a delusional violence threatening nobody so why do you think your opinion should hold any more weight than anyone else's here or in the real world where the majority will NEVER ,I REPEAT NEVER GIVE HARPERBIZZARRE ANY MAJORITY?

What exactly are you smoking over there in your cage(hows the booze flowing tonight?)

It is very obvious to anyone who is thinking that there just is no way to bring Harper into any of this, and by immediately calling a public inquirey, he is assured clean hands in all of it. Schrieber has already pulled his horns in and will probably keep them in for quite some time, as he now has to think about how what he says here will affect his trial in Germany, and that trial is a sure thing one way or another.

Harper may even make his proposal to dismantel the gun registry a confidence vote and see if he can provoke an election over that. My guess would be that Harper right now is not going to put up with any more crap and he will either force and election soon or call one on his own.

On an emotional level there's nothing I hate more than an unfounded character assassination. When that happens I'll go through the motions of cooperating, and then hit back hard. I'm sure Harper will do the same.
Once the public see the Liberals in election mode well it will not be pretty. I just can not wait for the debates.
I especially can't wait to see Dion in the English Leadership Debates, on www.cpac.ca (since I'm in the States).

Well, there's an educated post LOL

Stephen Harper: "But, Mr. Speaker, Canadians understand that the events in question occurred between 10 and 20 years ago, and these are rather pathetic attempts by the opposition to link them to this government" G & M Page A4

On an emotional level there's nothing I hate more than an unfounded character assassination. When that happens I'll go

And yet you have done that for politicians that you don't like such as Chretien. You revealed through third party hearsay that Chretien had perfectly good English and that he puts on an act but in the privacy of his home, he speaks extremely well. Such a thing has never been written by anyone but you. It is the very definition of unfounded character assassination.

And yet you have done that for politicians that you don't like such as Chretien. You revealed through third party hearsay that Chretien had perfectly good English and that he puts on an act but in the privacy of his home, he speaks extremely well. Such a thing has never been written by anyone but you. It is the very definition of unfounded character assassination.
Speaking good English but maintaining a "simple man" affect is a character assassination, like calling an honest and good man like Harper a crook? Give me a break.

Speaking good English but maintaining a "simple man" affect is a character assassination, like calling an honest and good man like Harper a crook? Give me a break.

So you say but the only one I have heard talk about Chretien's good English being an act is you. It is character assassination defined. Likewise, who are you referring to calling Harper a crook? Do you have a citation for that?

So you say but the only one I have heard talk about Chretien's good English being an act is you. It is character assassination defined.
But where's the assassination? I've said often that Reagan wanted to appear the dunce on many occasions, and was a savvy and indeed dangerous negotiator. Just ask Gorbachev about Rekyavik (sp) and the "walk in the woods" later.
Likewise, who are you referring to calling Harper a crook? Do you have a citation for that?
Isn't that the implication of asserting Harper's involvement in Mulroney's fraud or its cover-up?

To answer the rabid frothing at the beginning of this thread, I post excerpts of an editorial in today's Edmonton Sun (link). I suspect that Canadians are smart enough to realize that this is a case where a person of quality and integrity, Harper, is being slimed by the likes of the people discussed in this editorial.

I sure hope so. Excerpts below:

If this whole Mulroney thing is any indication, we'll hopefully get another Adscam probe by 2016. Maybe we'll finally find out where that money went.

But where's the assassination? I've said often that Reagan wanted to appear the dunce on many occasions, and was a savvy and indeed dangerous negotiator. Just ask Gorbachev about Rekyavik (sp) and the "walk in the woods" later.

Isn't that the implication of asserting Harper's involvement in Mulroney's fraud or its cover-up?

Cover-up is not the same thing as being a crook. It doesn't imply anything other than the fact that last Friday's news wasn't exactly new news.

You have no evidence except hearsay from a third party that is completely unverifiable that Chretien spoke perfect English. Your character assassination is that he did speak perfect English and it was all an act. As far as your Reagan statement, please show me that he indicated that he wanted to appear a dunce. Is that more hearsay? I know some Democratic critics called him an amiable dunce but that was character assassination and it wasn't something that he adopted himself.

One can only hope. The chip on Brian's shoulder is pretty big. He left Kim in a no win scenario just so he could avoid the same result under his leadership.

OMG the revisionist history kills me.

I think Campbell's own downfall was much her own doing.

She had no control over the paid media strategy. "Jean Chretien is ugly" ads.

She shot off her mouth.

"No chance for significant job creation before the end of the decade."

"A campaign is no place for a substantive debate on issues."

Polls taken the first week and a half of the campaign showed the PCs in a statistical tie.

Nope. Campbell's downfall was her own doing.

Whilst I find this funny.. it has no place on this board. You really should edit it out.

Bravo Shakey. Terms making fun of party names or personal names really don't have a place here on the board.

Nothing can harm Harpers career. He is a surrogate ruler and the big boys can keep him in the school yard to do their bidding....what...you thought Harper was vulneralbe? Who ever writes the paycheck rules the world...and conservatives control the money - good luck Mr. Layton...maybe Cuba will fund his over throw of Harper?