Another cop killed...

Another thing is the fact that it always seems to be the youngest guys who get killed. This guy was only 20. Straight out of training school and shipped off to a post at the bottom of the pecking order to pay his dues.

Apparently this is a two man post in an isolated community. It would be interesting to know the age and experience of his partner.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing is the fact that it always seems to be the youngest guys who get killed. This guy was only 20. Straight out of training school and shipped off to a post at the bottom of the pecking order to pay his dues.

I am not going to change my position on the death penalty until we can guarantee a justice system that is right 100% of the time.

I originally did not want to post about his age . But damn, 20 yrs old and no real training and look what happens. And the Mayerthorpe debacle was even worse.

Something tells me the RCMP brass need to wake up and improve training .

Enough is enough. Bring back the death penalty to people who obviously don't respect the law OR life. Any bleeding heart that does not suport the death penalty should volunteer to be victimized themselves and/or for being so god damned noble as to assert their "morally superior" values.

It would appear that the Tories believe in the death penalty so you are on the right track with them.

Hey paco...a good friend whom I grew up with was killed in Mayerthorp. The only solice in that incident was when it was over....it was over. There was no manhunt. There was no seeking justice. All it was about was seeking answers. So don't you tell try to lecture me. When they catch this guy, he should be hung. If he has no qualms about killing a cop, do you think he would have a problem killing your wife...or you mother? How about a rapist who kills his victims? Would you want him to get out in 15 years for good behaviour only to have those "urges" to come rushing back when he sees your daughter?

There was no manhunt? What about the others arrested for assisting the killer?

Apparently an experienced Sargent.

Was he there? This was a simple DUI arrest.

A two man post? The sarge was probably sleeping. No slur on him. These poor buggers were probably running 12 hour shifts.

I keep coming back to the fact that it is always the young guys who are taking the fall.

We spent the weekend at an RCMP officer's house (he's in charge of a similar small detachment), and I learned more than I need to about the problems they're having. All or most of the recent RCMP deaths occur in small back woods detachments...not where it's violent, but where almost nothing ever happens...until it happens. Apparently the communication system is shitty as hell and centralized in Ottawa, where they have no concept of the distances involved, the relative degree of danger from town to town, and where alerts and callins are often forgotten in favor of so-called "danger zones" in more urban areas. Single officer callouts to domestics, for example, are against policy, so the dispatchers have apparently taken to calling them "disturbances" when manpower is short so only one cop ends up going. Plus, when shift change comes, there's a real problem tagging info off to the new shift, so officers are left out in the cold with no checkin. Apparently just the other night in the small detachment my friend is in charge of, one of the young cops was in a fight for ten minutes with no call in...and ten minutes is a very long time when a cop is alone and fighting someone willing to fight a cop. Another annoying habit he told me about is dispatching police to the perp's place and leaving the impression that the callout is to the victim's location...which of course is embarrassing at the least and damned dangerous at worst.

So sad, to die so young. I won't enter the fray regarding backup or lack of resources that's for the Police to ponder. The scum who killed him will get out in eight years, if he gets life. I don't want the death penalty I just want our Judges to enforce max sentences, if life means 25 years I want him to serve 25years. None of this 1/3 less a day nonsense and shaving years off his sentence for good behavior. I want him to serve life.

We had two youths who envaded a home, beat the man half to death, burned him, tortured him, left him hog tied to die. All the bones in his body were broken, they received life sentences. They are up for parole now, they were sentenced in 1998 to life. They were 17 and 18 at the time, so for taking a life so cruely they will receive freedom at the ripe ole age of 26 and 27. WE call that justice??????????????

Was he there? This was a simple DUI arrest.

A two man post? The sarge was probably sleeping. No slur on him. These poor buggers were probably running 12 hour shifts.

I keep coming back to the fact that it is always the young guys who are taking the fall.

12 hour shifts are the norm for many police forces, ours included. Not alone though.

From what Scott says it sounds like the RCMP could use a union like most other forces. Doesn't sound like their employer is doing much to look after them.

From what Scott says it sounds like the RCMP could use a union like most other forces. Doesn't sound like their employer is doing much to look after them.

The Supreme Court ruled the RCMP cannot unionize.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/1999/09/02/...nion990902.html

The problem of single officer responses to calls has to be examined and corrected.

12 hour shifts are the norm for many police forces, ours included. Not alone though.

The Canadian police Association represents them

We spent the weekend at an RCMP officer's house (he's in charge of a similar small detachment), and I learned more than I need to about the problems they're having. All or most of the recent RCMP deaths occur in small back woods detachments...not where it's violent, but where almost nothing ever happens...until it happens. Apparently the communication system is shitty as hell and centralized in Ottawa, where they have no concept of the distances involved, the relative degree of danger from town to town, and where alerts and callins are often forgotten in favor of so-called "danger zones" in more urban areas. Single officer callouts to domestics, for example, are against policy, so the dispatchers have apparently taken to calling them "disturbances" when manpower is short so only one cop ends up going. Plus, when shift change comes, there's a real problem tagging info off to the new shift, so officers are left out in the cold with no checkin. Apparently just the other night in the small detachment my friend is in charge of, one of the young cops was in a fight for ten minutes with no call in...and ten minutes is a very long time when a cop is alone and fighting someone willing to fight a cop. Another annoying habit he told me about is dispatching police to the perp's place and leaving the impression that the callout is to the victim's location...which of course is embarrassing at the least and damned dangerous at worst.

RCMP communications is centralized in each province, not across the country.

although I favor the DP, I think life no parole would work better. People seem to get sentences here like life, no parole for 10 years, or 20 or 25. That's crap, we are too weak. Life needs top mean forever!!

As well, this garbage about treating child rapist, life no parole, that's your treatment. As I have stated before, have some balls Canada!!

RCMP communications is centralized in each province, not across the country.

I'm not a cop, so I don't know one way or another, but I understand it used to be localized, and from the perspective of boots on the ground, it is far better to do it that way. One example is this: two towns in my friends detachment are 3 miles apart, as the crow flies. Unfortunately there's a lake and a ferry in between them, so while he can attend at one town within 15 minutes, it takes as much as 45 minutes to go to the other town. Leaving aside the ridiculous visual of a cruiser with its lights and siren blasting away on a ferry travelling at the sedate speed of whatever speed a ferry cruises along at, central dispatch can't seem to understand why one takes a tad longer than the other, or why the "disturbance" is usually resolved, with all parties sleeping, long before he gets there.

I believe in the Death Penalty when it's necessary, and mercy and grace when it's necessary. It all depends on the circumstances. In general people who murder, should be killed as to remove their threat, but should be shown mercy and grace if the circumstances call for it.

We have no more right to take a life than the murderer did.

We have no more right to take a life than the murderer did.

While I am generally against the death penalty for many reasons, I think pre-meditted murder where there is 100% certainty that the culprit is guilty and that there is little hope that the culprit will not offend again is an exception. I thinking of the Bernardos, the Olsens, mobsters, bikers and alike.

Society not only has a right but a moral obligation to protect society from these kinds of people.

While I am generally against the death penalty for many reasons, I think pre-meditted murder where there is 100% certainty that the culprit is guilty and that there is little hope that the culprit will not offend again is an exception. I thinking of the Bernardos, the Olsens, mobsters, bikers and alike.

Society not only has a right but a moral obligation to protect society from these kinds of people.

To protect from them, but not to kill them.

To protect from them, but not to kill them.

Why not? You put a psyco path in jail for life you are leaving the "door" open for him/her to get out one day....

Better they be put in a place where there is absolutely no hope of return.

Why not? You put a psyco path in jail for life you are leaving the "door" open for him/her to get out one day....

Better they be put in a place where there is absolutely no hope of return.

No, its not. 25 to life with no chance of parole, and you make sure he doesn't get parole. Its as simple as that.

No, its not. 25 to life with no chance of parole, and you make sure he doesn't get parole. Its as simple as that.

Is it really that simple?

Karla Holmolka

And you make sure? How....? How can you definately say that one day Layton and his crew get elected and dewcide that life in prison is cruel and inhuman...and start playing coicial scientist with Canadian public safety?