Should Wal-Mart Entry be banned.....?

Guest Amrita

The knock of Wal-Mart on Indian retail doors has raised the ire of those who stand for vendors, hawkers and shopkeepers. India FDI Watch has stepped out to hold out a warning, citing global instances.

Read the voice of India FDI watch Campaign Organizer. It’s very very informative stuff >> http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articl...dia&rtFlg=rtFlg

According to this researched stuff “In the United States, thousands of small and medium businesses has closed down because of Wal-Mart”. Wal-Mart drives down wages in local communities where they operate and on average two small stores are closed down for every one Wal-Mart store built. More than 300 local communities have blocked the entry of Wal-Mart in their neighborhoods.

What is your opinion……

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being someone who owned/operated a small business for many years, and so tended to patronize locally-owned businesses, I tend to avoid Wal-Mart like the plague.

A couple years ago, there was a strike by the Steelworkers here in Sudbury.

They were out on their picket lines in force, and the local papers were filled with letters about how we should all be supporting their strike efforts.

I wrote a letter to two of the papers suggesting that any of these strikers who shop regularly at WalMart instead of locally-owned, or at least Canadian-owned, businesses had no right to ask for support, since they do njot suport the local economy as well as they could.

Got a barrage of criticism from the strikers for this, but also got a flood of responding letters from local businesses applauding my stance.

But, alas, many of these overpaid, undereducated, glorified laborers still go to WallyWorld in droves, and the local small businesses still suffer.

Have any of you ever read the fight of the miners in western Canada and down east in their fight to do away with company towns. This is what Wal-Mart signifys for me. A business that will move in and force other businesses out and then become a company town where one can only buy their very inferior goods.

Shouldn't the consumers be allowed to decide where they wish to purchase their goods? I personally avoid Wal-mart, for no other reason then I hate shopping there. I find the staff and customers to be on the most part beyond approach and I always feel the need to have two or three screaming children with me if I am shopping there. Besides, the store breaks a simple rule I have: Don't shop in a store that sells clothes and provides a cart.

That being said, some people might like shopping there. I would rather see a ban to Denny's before a ban to Wal-mart.

What about other Big stores like Sears or Independent Grocery stores...competing with just about any small businesses....from hospitality-related businesses to offering services as carpet-installers, vent-cleaners etc..,

How many small pizza and other take-out places are suffering because of the take-out meals from Independent Stores? They even sell single-sliced pizza for crying out loud! :D

Same as McDonald's, Walmart is being singled out and demonized.

I'm not happy with it, since the quality usually suffers.

But let's face it, this is the lifestyle of the present, and perhaps, the future! Everything in one store!

You know the old mantra, "if there is a demand...."

What about other Big stores like Sears or Independent Grocery stores...competing with just about any small businesses....from hospitality-related businesses to offering services as carpet-installers, vent-cleaners etc..,

How many small pizza and other take-out places are suffering because of the take-out meals from Independent Stores? They even sell single-sliced pizza for crying out loud! :D

Same as McDonald's, Walmart is being singled out and demonized.

I'm not happy with it, since the quality usually suffers.

But let's face it, this is the lifestyle of the present, and perhaps, the future! Everything in one store!

You know the old mantra, "if there is a demand...."

There's a demand for prostitutes too.

I'm old enough to remember local businesses complain about the unfair advantage of Eaton's.

The unfortunate thing is that because of their scale, Wal-mart has lower costs than Joe's shoe store downtown. I talked to one independent retailer who said it was almost cheaper for him to go and buy his stock (work boots) at Wal-mart because they're selling at prices almost the same as the manufacturer charges him.

You get the purists who say this is free enterprise at its finest, but then Adam Smith did state that the government had the responsibility to make sure the market was open to competition. I think banning Wal-mart is unnecessary, but if things go the way they're going it could be the situation that they have a monopoly in some areas.

And hitmen. But I wouldn't compare a retail outlet to an illegal activity. True Wal-mart has had its legal problems, but its overall theme is not that of an illegal activity.

Prostitution is legal in Canada. Soliciting isn't.

Many people thought that supermarkets should have been banned when they were introduced. Instead of going to a butcher, getting your milk delivered, going to the bakery and then the farmer's market to get your produce, you only needed to go to one source. Think about all those small independent companies that were being crushed by the buying power of supermarkets.

The next generation will debate the next evolution in shopping and living. Lord knows what that will encompass.

And hitmen. But I wouldn't compare a retail outlet to an illegal activity. True Wal-mart has had its legal problems, but its overall theme is not that of an illegal activity.

Prostitution is legal in Canada. Soliciting isn't.

You are really winning this debate. Keep it up. Next you'll be talking about sugar cubes.

It is a clever tactic to make it look like you are achieving something by taking a topic off the rails to make some sort of far sided point, but I still fail to see how proving a need for prostitution reflects the discussion on the banning of Wal-mart in Canadian cities and towns.

But hey, keep it up. I'm sure you are bound to make a point eventually.

I have a tough time with the idea of banning legal activities. Walmart is a prime target because it is the biggest and it is foreign but as far as effecting local business is concerned the same could be said of Loblaws or Canadian Tire. I try to shop local first and Canadian second but that is my choice, not someone elses and I want it to stay that way.

I just plain don't like walmart. I don't like their business practices nor do i particularly like their cult-like corporate culture.

But i do think banning them is silly. Has anyone been to a Loblaws owned 'Real Canadian Superstore' lately? They are trying to become more like walmart.

the more retailers try to become one stop shopping paradises, the more boring and unoriginal their products become. I live in the downtown of Guelph Ontario, I have one stop shopping for pretty much everything within a block of my place... asian food store, a farmers market, 2 bakeries, a butcher shop & deli, produce vendor, funiture store, lord knows how many clothing stores, restaurants, coffee shops, basically i rarely have the need to go to a mall.

This is the thing that kills me... Canadians bitch about walmart... yet most of canadians move to the burbs away from the downtown cores. Talk about a formula to kill your local retailers... Canadians & Americans have no-one but themselves to blame for turning walmart into what it is today.

Personally I walk into a walmart and its like stepping into a foreign country... the offensive signage, the gawd awful lighting, the crappy products... its a painful experience.

I just plain don't like walmart. I don't like their business practices nor do i particularly like their cult-like corporate culture.

But i do think banning them is silly. Has anyone been to a Loblaws owned 'Real Canadian Superstore' lately? They are trying to become more like walmart.

the more retailers try to become one stop shopping paradises, the more boring and unoriginal their products become. I live in the downtown of Guelph Ontario, I have one stop shopping for pretty much everything within a block of my place... asian food store, a farmers market, 2 bakeries, a butcher shop & deli, produce vendor, funiture store, lord knows how many clothing stores, restaurants, coffee shops, basically i rarely have the need to go to a mall.

This is the thing that kills me... Canadians bitch about walmart... yet most of canadians move to the burbs away from the downtown cores. Talk about a formula to kill your local retailers... Canadians & Americans have no-one but themselves to blame for turning walmart into what it is today.

Personally I walk into a walmart and its like stepping into a foreign country... the offensive signage, the gawd awful lighting, the crappy products... its a painful experience.

I agree with you - although I would hardly call Guelph the antithesis of suburbia (although I've never been :blink: )

But people vote with their feet and dollars. As I said before, if people didn't like walmart, then it wouldn't be the world's largest retail chain.

For me it's the people in Wal Mart that make me gag. I can only stand so much overweight parents screaming at their childeren in a long messy cashier's line up.

Banning Wal-Mart is be a bit much.

Town councils can certainly not approve the licence for them to operate but that is removed from banning.

I have never set foot in a Wal-Mart in my life. Hopefully, and I plan on it, I never do set foot inside. I have heard enough stories from suppliers to make an informed decision. I have first hand knowledge from a supplier to WM that they will soon be telling WM to go stuff it. WM keeps hammering this company to produce cheaper and cheaper , and frankly they are sick of the time demands, very miniscule margins to be made, and general attitude of WM. And of course they are aware when they do this, WM will line someone up to replace them in a matter of minutes. It is cool for them to lose this business.

I do not like WM for many reasons. Did you know that WM has the most employees of any company in the US that using Medicare (or is it medicaid ?) Either way , they pay so low and offer no benefits, they are a tax drain on the American taxpayer.

I do however sympathize with many low income families that rely on the goods that WM provide. For many of them there is no other choice. For many others...me included I will pay extra to go to the local store, peruse the local shop owner, you know , my neighbours and friends.

But a ban? Hardly democratic, unless decided at a local or municipal level.

You are really winning this debate. Keep it up. Next you'll be talking about sugar cubes.

It is a clever tactic to make it look like you are achieving something by taking a topic off the rails to make some sort of far sided point, but I still fail to see how proving a need for prostitution reflects the discussion on the banning of Wal-mart in Canadian cities and towns.

Isn't this about trying to ban legal activities? Prostitution is a legal activity.

Isn't this about trying to ban legal activities? Prostitution is a legal activity.

So is selling sugar cubes. What is your point? Are you trying to equate prostitution to selling low priced dvd players?

So is selling sugar cubes. What is your point? Are you trying to equate prostitution to selling low priced dvd players?

The point is that many people say "There is a market for it" for whatever that thing might be. It is said as a justification. I said there is a market for prostitution as well. The someone else said legal activities to which I countered that prostitution is legal.

I personally have no problems with Wal-Mart but it doesn't mean that any and/or all communities need to roll out the carpet for them in terms of land usage and zoning. Some communities might not want them just as some might not want prostitutes.

In Canada, the government creates anti-soliciting laws to control prostitutes. In municipalities, they government creates zoning rules.

Now does it all make sense?

The idea that Wal-Mart got to where it is today because of its success in the free market is laughable on its face. Wal-Mart gets a big helping hand from government at all levels through tax breaks, infrastructure support, free land and subsidies. And of course, one can't forget how much of Wal-Mart's crap is made in China, where the market is anything but free.

If government can help Wal-Mart, then local govenment can opt to keep Wal-Mart out. It's the same principle.

The point is that many people say "There is a market for it" for whatever that thing might be. It is said as a justification. I said there is a market for prostitution as well. The someone else said legal activities to which I countered that prostitution is legal.

I personally have no problems with Wal-Mart but it doesn't mean that any and/or all communities need to roll out the carpet for them in terms of land usage and zoning. Some communities might not want them just as some might not want prostitutes.

In Canada, the government creates anti-soliciting laws to control prostitutes. In municipalities, they government creates zoning rules.

Now does it all make sense?

I can see your point, and to me it is up to the consumer to determine if they want the service or not. Consumers include voters and if they don't want something to occur they can always voice their opinion on the topic. Much like prostitution, voters or consumers can determine whether or not they want the service through their actions.

Prostitution has a few more issues such as health concerns and safety, so that's why I find it to be a horrible comparison.

I think my big problem is that some people have the right to tell other people how they are going to shop.

I think my big problem is that some people have the right to tell other people how they are going to shop.

This has been the rule of zoning since people started to live together.

Church went here, houses went there, hotel went there, etc.

Wal-Mart has wanted for a long time to be in the suburbs on a large swatch of land. Most cities and towns have accommodated that.

Some towns though have been less interested in a large box store on their doorstep and have had majority support from the electorate. It should be their choice.