FBI supplying the terrorists?

Interesting story from the Washington Post regarding an undercover operation in Irvine, CA. I guess the easiest way to catch Islamic terrorists is to get convicted criminals to inflitrate their organizations, supply the materials and see who bites. Except these Muslims smelled a rat...

But the FBI's approach has come under fire from some Muslims, criticism that surfaced again late last month after agents arrested an Oregon man they said tried to detonate a bomb at a Christmas tree-lighting ceremony. FBI technicians had supplied the device.

Tension grows between Calif. Muslims, FBI after informant infiltrates mosque

I wish the Muslims would settle down though, the FBI is doing them a big service. By rooting out the crazies, even if those crazies are FBI informants, they are making the Islamic organizations more stable and safe. And making everyone safe from FBI car-bombs:

US teenager held in Oregon over Christmas 'bomb plot'

The Oregonian newspaper quoted Oregon US Attorney Dwight Holton as saying: "This defendant's chilling determination is a stark reminder that there are people - even here in Oregon - who are determined to kill Americans."

Interesting story from the Washington Post regarding an undercover operation in Irvine, CA. I guess the easiest way to catch Islamic terrorists is to get convicted criminals to inflitrate their organizations, supply the materials and see who bites. Except these Muslims smelled a rat...

Tension grows between Calif. Muslims, FBI after informant infiltrates mosque

I wish the Muslims would settle down though, the FBI is doing them a big service. By rooting out the crazies, even if those crazies are FBI informants, they are making the Islamic organizations more stable and safe. And making everyone safe from FBI car-bombs:

US teenager held in Oregon over Christmas 'bomb plot'

It isn't surprising.

Have you seen Zeitgeist - Addendum yet? Zeitgeist - Moving Forward is due to be released in January

OP is totally out of the loop as far as knowing how the world works.

FYI-that's how business is done-all the law enforcement agency has to do is be absolutely sure the perp wants the bombs/drugs/guns/WHY and they have a case.

Of course the perps every word is recorded so he can savour his stupidity for as long as he lives.

Entrapment.

Entrapment.

Not necessarily. It depends how it was carried out.

If an undercover cop tries to talk you into buying drugs, that's entrapment.

If you decide to buy drugs, and attempt to purchase them from an undercover cop who you think might be a drug dealer, that's not entrapment.

A lot of crybabies howled "entrapment" during the Toronto 18 case because the guy they attempted to purchase 3 tons of fertilizer from happened to be an undercover agent. It wasn't entrapment. They approached the undercover agent of their own volition, and the undercover agent had only been put in place because they had already been nosing around trying to obtain fertilizer.

You tell me, Gost:

-this guy went out and obtained what he thought was a functioning bomb.

-this guy put it in a location where he thought many people would be killed if it detonated.

-this guy attempted to detonate it.

Does it really matter who he obtained the bomb from? He set out on a course that he thought would kill a large number of people. There's no excuse.

-k

Not necessarily. It depends how it was carried out.

If an undercover cop tries to talk you into buying drugs, that's entrapment.

If you decide to buy drugs, and attempt to purchase them from an undercover cop who you think might be a drug dealer, that's not entrapment.

I don't see how there is a difference between a sting or entrapment, the results are the same. However, the sting would involve a lot of people, the entrapment only needs to take a couple people.

A lot of crybabies howled "entrapment" during the Toronto 18 case because the guy they attempted to purchase 3 tons of fertilizer from happened to be an undercover agent. It wasn't entrapment. They approached the undercover agent of their own volition, and the undercover agent had only been put in place because they had already been nosing around trying to obtain fertilizer.

Good point.

You tell me, Gost:

-this guy went out and obtained what he thought was a functioning bomb.

-this guy put it in a location where he thought many people would be killed if it detonated.

-this guy attempted to detonate it.

Does it really matter who he obtained the bomb from? He set out on a course that he thought would kill a large number of people. There's no excuse.

-k

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World_Trade_Center_bombing

It may not convince you .. however...

FBI involvement

In the course of the trial it was revealed that the FBI had an informant, a former Egyptian army officer named Emad Salem. Salem claims to have informed the FBI of the plot to bomb the towers as early as February 6, 1992. Salem's role as informant allowed the FBI to quickly pinpoint the conspirators out of hundreds of possible suspects.

Salem, initially believing that this was to be a sting operation, claimed that the FBI's original plan was for Salem to supply the conspirators with a harmless powder instead of actual explosive to build their bomb, but that the FBI chose to use him for other purposes instead. He secretly recorded hundreds of hours of telephone conversations with his FBI handlers.[23]

Almost the same thing as this recent case, but that time the bomb was not a dud.

I don't see how there is a difference between a sting or entrapment, the results are the same. However, the sting would involve a lot of people, the entrapment only needs to take a couple people.

Not sure what a "sting" has to do with anything.

"Entrapment" is when a law officer persuades someone to commit a crime they wouldn't have committed without encouragement. Law enforcement officers are generally trained to not cross that line because it undermines or destroys the case they are attempting to build.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World_Trade_Center_bombing

It may not convince you .. however...

Almost the same thing as this recent case, but that time the bomb was not a dud.

What's your point? That it's better if the feds give fake bombs to kooks than letting them figure out how to get real ones on their own? I'm convinced. But what has that got to do with the claim of "entrapment"?

-k

It does matter in the case of the 1993 WTC bombing. Because that time the FBI gave them a working bomb. And it shows that the FBI actually facilitated in the attack in a way. Or did the FBI forget to give the guy a dud bomb like this recent attempt?

What's your point? That it's better if the feds give fake bombs to kooks than letting them figure out how to get real ones on their own? I'm convinced. But what has that got to do with the claim of "entrapment"?

The point is the bomb used in the 1993 WTC attack was given to the terrorists by the FBI and was NOT a dud. And since THAT is true, what else have they involved themselves with?

It does matter in the case of the 1993 WTC bombing. Because that time the FBI gave them a working bomb. And it shows that the FBI actually facilitated in the attack in a way. Or did the FBI forget to give the guy a dud bomb like this recent attempt?

The point is the bomb used in the 1993 WTC attack was given to the terrorists by the FBI and was NOT a dud. And since THAT is true, what else have they involved themselves with?

Your link doesn't say what you think it says.

Salem, initially believing that this was to be a sting operation, claimed that the FBI's original plan was for Salem to supply the conspirators with a harmless powder instead of actual explosive to build their bomb, but that the FBI chose to use him for other purposes instead. He secretly recorded hundreds of hours of telephone conversations with his FBI handlers.[23]

It doesn't say the FBI gave them a real bomb.

It says that the guy who thought he was going to supply them with fake ingredients for their bomb was assigned to other tasks.

Nowhere in there does it say the FBI supplied them with a real bomb.

In fact, your own link says:

Yousef was assisted by Iraqi bomb maker Abdul Rahman Yasin, who helped assemble the complex 1,310 pounds (590 kg) bomb, which was made of a urea nitrate main charge with aluminum, magnesium and ferric oxide particles surrounding the explosive.

I have a book describing the operation in some detail. Instead of obtaining the bomb from any FBI agent, they built it themselves. Instead of buying the ingredients from an FBI informant, they purchased them from a New Jersey distributor called "Chemical City". They mixed and dried the chemicals in one of their apartments, and stored each finished batch in a rented self-storage unit. They ran a test in a state park.

In short, no FBI agent drove up and pulled a working 1300 pound bomb out of his car. They built their own. The passage you think says the FBI gave them a real bomb actually says that the informant who thought he was going to sell them fake ingredients was assigned elsewhere.

-k

The only way to nutralize terrorists is to stop being terrible - terrified and a coward...America is a nation of big mouth corporate cowards who cringe at the idea of hand to hand combat...or actually having to come up against a man or woman that is possibly capable of giving you a bloody nose...If you do not want to be pushed around by some bully Arab with to much god on his mind..then stop cringing - As a kid they used to bully my older brother...then one day I stopped being afraid and punch out the head bully - peace and respect followed for the rest of my days...fear - is a sin.

Sometimes our cool guys from our cool agencies based in D.C and elsewhere make me really bepuzzled!

Say what’s their grand idea when they stubbornly stick to enormous money donations to Georgia already having the notorious reputation of a Huge Black Hole in the Caucasus?

Or why should we construct most sophisticated and most expensive biolabs exactly in this very Hole? It means hell of money just wasted into nowhere (Georgians will pickpocket at least half the sum). It means huge risks as well! Georgians are going to ‘save money’ to have more of it in their own pockets! I happened to learn that during the construction works in Alekseyevka biocenter (near Tbilisi) Georgians ‘saved money’ on security systems first of all.

Needless to say, those are huge risks! Those are possible leakages of deadly stuff or some awful malfunction, terrorist attack or just theft of the sensitive materials by some Islamic radicals who have been flooding the country since Saakashvili came to power in Georgia.

Perhaps I can’t know some meaningful things but the way our smarties develop relationship with that irrelevant Georgia is just loony bin IMHO!!