Infidel Footballs, or

jbg

It seems that some Muslims are a bit easily offended, as shown in the article excerpted below. The gift of soccer balls with a Saudi flag turns out to be an infidel act. As for the sub-titling of the thread, the US version of a football is often called a "pigskin". I do recognize that BBC considers a soccer ball to be a football.

However, it may be quite useful to create a pigskin soccer ball, with or without flags, for distribution. Comments?

========================================================================

Last Updated: Sunday, 26 August 2007, 11:55 GMT 12:55 UK

Anger over 'blasphemous' balls (link)

By Alastair Leithead

BBC News, Kabul

A demonstration has been held in south- east Afghanistan accusing US troops of insulting Islam after they distributed footballs bearing the name of Allah.

The balls showed the Saudi Arabian flag which features the Koranic declaration of faith.

Some displayed flags from countries all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, which features the shahada, one of the five pillars of Islam - the declaration of faith.

The words, which include the name of Allah, are revered, and Muslims are very sensitive about where and how they can be used.

Saudi Arabia has complained to the World Cup's ruling body in the past about the use of its flag on footballs.

Mullahs in Afghanistan criticised the US forces for their insensitivity, and around 100 people held a demonstration in Khost.

Afghan MP Mirwais Yasini said: "To have a verse of the Koran on something you kick with your foot would be an insult in any Muslim country around the world."

"Unfortunately," she added, "there was something on those footballs we didn't immediately understand to be offensive and we regret that as we do not want to offend."

Well if the footballs are "insensitive", that could have been an expensive mistake....the purchase of the footballs that is. I don't know how many they gave away. Did they get any back, I wonder?
I doubt the footballs are that expensive. If done in pigskin, they could have the same value to us as homicide bombs have to them.

"Unfortunately," she added, "there was something on those footballs we didn't immediately understand to be offensive and we regret that as we do not want to offend."

I think it is as important for us to be as understanding of and compliant with their cultural norms while we are in their country as they would be to our culture while they are in (or imigrating to) ours. :ph34r:

They knew darn well that it would be offensive - it's called a psyop jbg. It's done in order to demoralize people.

How would all these so called Christians feel if the balls had pics of Jesus on them? For anyone to not realize that this is offensive is BS - they knew it.

Once again Buffy and her conspiracy theories and deliberate plots to insult. Yes I followed up on Buffy's theory and look what I found (clearly the work of other evil people-probably people who are friends with Barbra Stresidan);

http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html

BEST SELLER!

Football Jesus Sports Statue

To remind children that Jesus is with them always. A contemporary statue for today's youth. Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us & involved in all of our acts & activities.

Resin. Approx. 6" tall. As seen on The Conan O'Brien Show!

FOOTBALL (Item #34428) $20.00

click on image on larger view New! Jesus Sports Frames

To remind children that Jesus is with them always. A contemporary statue for today's youth. Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us & involved in all of our acts & activities.

Resin. Base approx. 7" wide x 4.5" tall; holds 4x6 photo.

FOOTBALL (Item #34468) $12.95

or

http://www.catholicshopper.com/products/in...rt_statues.html

Jesus Inspirational Sport Statues

Handpainted resin statues on a solid wood base are the perfect gift for every young Catholic athlete. These statues portray Jesus actively participating with boys and girls in a variety of sports. A wonderful way to reinforce Jesus "as friend" in everyday activities. Sizes vary from 4 3/4 to 6 1/2 inches.

Many customers have requested these Jesus Sport Statues depicting children other than Caucasian and playing other sports; we have expressed these requests to manufacturers and importers. When and if other statues are available, CatholicShopper.com will carry them.

This page shows the following Jesus Sport Statues: Baseball, Football, Soccer. For Basketball and other versions of baseball, football, hockey and soccer, click picture of the five statues at the bottom of page.

The statues on this page now include a brass nameplate, "Jesus Is My Coach."

Sport Statue - quick order

$22.95

If you know the statue you want and don't need to view the graphic - simply select your subject from the drop down menu. 15 subjects to choose from.

or

http://heavenlyjerseys.com/Merchant2/merch...gory_Code=Jesus

Jesus Jerseys

Adult Jesus Football Jersey

Code: 1001

Price: $39.95

Quantity in Basket: none

Youth Jesus Football Jersey

Code: 1002

Price: $29.95

Adult Jesus Baseball Jersey

Code: 1003

Youth Jesus Baseball Jersey

Code: 1004

Adult Jesus Basketball Jersey

Code: 1005

Youth Jesus Basketball Jersey

Code: 1006

Rue, as usual you respond in such a rude manner. Are you quite sure you have spelled your handle correctly? Or did you forget the letter 'd'?

Anyhow - all the items you have provided are statues and jerseys - not a football with, as I gave as an example - Jesus' face on it. Kind of different - but I appreciate you attempt at spin control!!

This is just an example of what seems to be so common in the US, an example of cultural blindness. I don't think any sane peeson believes that the US willfully goes around trying to agitate discord amongst those they are tyring to court favour with.

What does amaze me is that the skill set in the PR department seems so shallow especially when the private sector is striving to learn more about other cultures in order to facilitate international business.

Never give a green hat to a Chinese businessman. Never give him a clock or a pair of scissors, either. Never wrap any gift in white or black.

At a Chinese banquet, never clean everything off your plate; always leave at least a morsel of food behind. Oh, and never, ever leave your chopsticks propped up in your rice bowl.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...query=green+hat

They knew darn well that it would be offensive - it's called a psyop jbg. It's done in order to demoralize people.

How would all these so called Christians feel if the balls had pics of Jesus on them? For anyone to not realize that this is offensive is BS - they knew it.

Big difference Buffy. The balls had flags on them. Among the flags was the Saudi flag. That flag happens to have a Koranic verse on it. But it was not a religion oriented soccerball. It was more like an international ball. So it is a lot different than putting a Jesus face or even a Mohammed face on the ball.

I would not have guessed that a ball with flags on it would have been offensive. I would not know what the writing was or where it came from. I would not even know it was the Saudi Flag.

Edited by jefferiah

Big difference Buffy. The balls had flags on them. Among the flags was the Saudi flag. That flag happens to have a Koranic verse on it. But it was not a religion oriented soccerball. It was more like an international ball. So it is a lot different than putting a Jesus face or even a Mohammed face on the ball.

I respectfully disagree. The Saudis have made it known before - that they don't like this too much. With previous incidences - ie Koran in toilet etc: one would think that a little thoughtful reflection be in order. Why have any flags on them at all? Why not just have regular old soccer balls dropped? Something is wrong with this whole picture. Now, while I do actually find the idea of putting any flag on a ball as rather distasteful - what if this whole thing is actually just a non story, and designed simply to make it look like these folks are 'radical'? Who knows why they would do this - though to me the whole affair smells funny.

(If they are going to drop anything how about care packs - with food and water, blankets and fuel?

I would not have guessed that a ball with flags on it would have been offensive. I would not know what the writing was or where it came from. I would not even know it was the Saudi Flag.

You don't know what the Saudi Flag looks like? This makes me wonder what else you might know or not know about the whole region and the very real people who inhabit it (and I'm not talking puppet dictators or warloards supported by the same). I don't mean that to sound condescending - just kind of a surprise since while I don't always agree with your posts, they are usually well thought out and considerate - ie not alot of nasty business on your part, you have also made many attempts at understanding 'other's' opinions, for which I certainly commend you.

I respectfully disagree. The Saudis have made it known before - that they don't like this too much.

The Saudis made a complaint to FIFA, I understand, about something similar, not to the US government. I didn't know about that either until last night. FIFA is not the big deal to North Americans that it is internationally. I'd rather watch a hockey game or a baseball game anyday.

I am not saying the balls are right or wrong. I am saying I think calling it an intentional offense is a bit much. Maybe just maybe, they wanted to give out some soccerballs to some kids. Presumption of innocence???

Edited by jefferiah

Buffy Dearest you want Jesus footballs, no problem go to;

http://www.orientaltrading.com/application...sus%20Footballs

BUILD WITH JESUS" FOOTBALLSBACK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build With Jesus" Footballs. Make a touchdown with these 4 1/2" vinyl foam-filled footballs. Build your faith while building muscles at your next V.B.S. team game! These vibrant balls spiral with spiritual appeal! Each colorful pigskin is imprinted with a picture of Jesus and the statement, "Build With Jesus

You May Also Like:

“SMILE! JESUS LOVES YOU!” KICK BALLS

$7.95

also available at;

http://www.calibex.com/serv/calibex2/buyer...DID=11115492511

LOOK AND YE SHALL BE OFFENDED AT MOST ANYTHING OTHER THEN THINE OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS.

The Prophet Rude, August 2007

Edited by Rue

But that's not all folks;

http://www.andiescandies.com/catalog1.html

Chocolate Ten Commandments

These sacred tablets are delicious to eat! Wrapped in plastic, available with personalized ribbon. Certified Kosher. $3.60 each, ribbon $0.80 additional.

AND;

http://www.judaicaworldwide.com/judaica.as...ze=&pgnum=5

Packers Suede Kippah

#Packers Kippah Handpainted Suede Packers Kippah. Size: Approx: 6" in diameter.

Price: $18.00

BUT THERE IS MORE!

right now on E-Bay!!!

COLLECTABLE JESUS IS LORD JEHEMIALI 29.1 LOGO GOLF BALL Item number: 220142888392

Starting bid £0.99 Place Bid >

Got to;

http://www.thealo.com/mfl/Trash.asp

These guys below started their own Muslim Football League!

Radwan AbdulRazzak

Ammar Alo

Mohammed Alo

Noure Alo

Sinan Alo

Moumen Asbahi

Ramez Habbal

Yusef Hai

Abdullah Haydar

Omar Haydar

Mohammed Idlibi

Ahmad Issawi

Atif Irfan

Mohammed Jondy

Muaz Jondy

Omar Khorfan

Franki Kulweki

Layth Malood

Khudr Mouslmani

Zubair Munshey

Hesham Mustafa

Waleed Nassar

Muhsen Nasir

Shahab Quraishi

Shariq Quriashi

Muaz Rabah

Sabri Sabri

Zubair Sarmast

Hassan Shahid

Ghazwan Shukairy

Muaz Shwedhi

Mundir Shwedhi

Mohammed Shwedhi

Hazem Tabbaa

I am arranging an exhibition match with the CFL*

*no no don't be silly I mean the Circumsized Football Leage

The point is while I appreciatewith what Buffy says about the cultural intolerance and it was well said, I find all religions equally as ridiculous and self-righteous.

It was a bone head thing to do not a deliberate thing. No conspiracies, just bone heads.

What is?

I'd still like to serva a bacon breakfast at the Hajj.

Now see while I make fun of all religions equally the above is needless don't you think?

It is in fact bigoted in my personal opinion. Its funny to point out all religions can be self-righteous

and absurd but when you focus on one and ridicule its beliefs that is different.

In this issue Buffy made a legitimate pt, about cultural intolerance. I personally think its an example of

of the absurdity of religion but no I will not make fun of anyone's religion like the above-just all in general.

I get the feeling some times you want to try mix ridiculing Islam with other issues. That is unfortunate.

I really don't think it was deliberate Buffy. I think it was more just an honest mistake.

In the west we tend to be less sensitive overall about these things. The East on the other hand is a place where peoples adherence to the faith is under daily scrutiny. It's easy to become enraged by meaningless perceived slights when you hate with a passion the ones committing the alleged slight.

Our society is one where you wont be lynched by a mob for some harmless oversight or lack of perception. Its one of the very major differences between our culture and theirs.

I also happen to think that its a pretty big leap of faith to state "they knew it" so categorically and emphatically.

In the west we tend to be less sensitive overall about these things. The East on the other hand is a place where peoples adherence to the faith is under daily scrutiny. It's easy to become enraged by meaningless perceived slights when you hate with a passion the ones committing the alleged slight.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Little worlk would get done in an industrial or professional setting if every grievance were nursed to the nth degree.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Little worlk would get done in an industrial or professional setting if every grievance were nursed to the nth degree.

Well, I think context has to be considered too. in the example of the footballs ... if American flag footballs with Jesus on them were being kicked around by Afghan resistance ... I can see some people getting upset. It would appear to be a deliberate provocation. I can see that it may have been in this case too.

Well, I think context has to be considered too. in the example of the footballs ... if American flag footballs with Jesus on them were being kicked around by Afghan resistance ... I can see some people getting upset. It would appear to be a deliberate provocation. I can see that it may have been in this case too.

No, I think that analogy is stretching it, to be honest. The footballs did not have a flag plus a picture of Mohammed. The Saudi flag itself contains a quote from the Quran. I did not know this myself, since I did not even know the flag nor can I read Arabic, anyway. And as I understand it was sort of an international football with a collage of flags on it. One of them happened to be the Saudi flag. So basically you have flags on a football. One of which happens to the Saudi Flag with a quote from the Quran. I would not call this deliberate. If it were so, it would be very elaborately deliberate wouldn't it. But when something is very elaborately deliberate and so subtle, you are going to have a much harder job proving that. I don't buy it. Sorry. If you think the footballs were in bad taste, OK. But it wasn't deliberate. Rather than believe that it was some ploy to stir up chaos by having a the Saudi Flag placed on a ball with a sort of an international feel, I would just assume that maybe they were giving footballs to kids. Is that such a hard concept to accept?

If the American flag was on a football/soccerball I don't think anyone would give a damn to be honest. As for provocation and being upset--mass crowds of people from some of those nations applauded 9/11. American flags have been burned and booed. Their own anthem has been booed at hockey games on our side of the border. In light of that I don't think Americans would worry about their flag being on a ball.

Edited by jefferiah