A cabinet shuffle

There is a Montreal election that Fortier isn't contesting. A major broken promise and breech of accountability on Harper's end.

Geoff tsk, tsk, tsk.

Why always the same broken record?

On the day Harper appointed him he said that Fortier would run in the next Federal election. Link

Harper said Fortier will run for a House of Commons seat in "the next federal election" rather than seeking one before that in a by-election.

Harper has done more in the direction of Senate reform than any Prime Minister in his lifetime. The term limits bill and the appointment of Bert Brown.

Was there a specific promise related to Fortier's appointment you believe was broken? Seems like just another rant. Harper made a very specific promise in this case that hasn't been broken.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the day Harper appointed him he said that Fortier would run in the next Federal election. Link

Fair.

I maintain that it's highly unaccountable and unethical. Even Chretien and Martin to the best of my knowledge never appointed unelected party hacks to minister roles.

Harper made a very specific promise in this case that hasn't been broken.

Mr. Coyne said it best:

As for Fortier, it is a fine thing for a Prime Minister elected on a platform of democratic accountability, who promised he would not appoint anyone who was not elected, either to cabinet or to the Senate, to then turn around and do both at one go. And to appoint his campaign manager co-chair, to boot!

Maybe I'm wrong, and no one cares. But if they do, then the government has a clear path before it. Put both appointments before the voters. Abide in their judgment. Seek their confidence, and it will be repaid. Trust the people.

Source: http://andrewcoyne.com/2006/02/trust-people.php

Hrrmph.

Fair.

I maintain that it's highly unaccountable and unethical. Even Chretien and Martin to the best of my knowledge never appointed unelected party hacks to minister roles.

Mr. Coyne said it best:

Source: http://andrewcoyne.com/2006/02/trust-people.php

Hrrmph.

You can dig through the history of Martin and Chretien's Ministries if you want. This link is to Martin's.

Andrew Coyne said it best? But weren't you justifying keeping Emerson in Cabinet? A little over two hours ago? Which parts of Coyne's column do you agree with in this case?

Ahhh, but you agree with Coyne in general, because you share a belief that Harper really isn't conservative enough. Even though you don't really agree with the column you posted to support your point. :blink:

Had the Tories won a seat in Greater Montreal the Fortier issue would never have come up. They didn't. So a smart, pragmatic Prime Minister did the best that he could with the cards he was dealt. That is the biggest reason for the Fortier appointment.

Which parts of Coyne's column do you agree with in this case?

I believe that Emerson is a pragmatic, though unethical, solution to a specific problem. That problem has now gone by, but moving him is too politically risky now. Emerson was elected, and he moved in the belief that he was better representing his consituants.

Fortier isn't accountable to anyone and was put in that spot for power, and to insure Harper had a close friend nearby.

I believe that Fortier should stand for election in Outermount or not be in cabinet. I don't want party hacks being appointed to Ministerial positions because of their commitment to the leader.

Ahhh, but you agree with Coyne in general, because you share a belief that Harper really isn't conservative enough. Even though you don't really agree with the column you posted to support your point. :blink:

I agree with Coyne in general because no party has the direction required to take Canada out of it's terrible current state. They are all failures. It's not that Harper isn't conservative enough, he's not at all. He's spending more of the economic pie than Martin did in his darkest spending hours. He's spending more than the NDP budget. There is absolutely nothing conservative about Mr. Harper. Nothing at all. He is a heavy handed economic interventionist that loves big government. At least that's every single indication so far.

Had the Tories won a seat in Greater Montreal the Fortier issue would never have come up. They didn't. So a smart, pragmatic Prime Minister did the best that he could with the cards he was dealt. That is the biggest reason for the Fortier appointment.

Begging the question. The Tories didn't win a seat and so it is an issue. You can't blame Montreal voters for not embracing the CPC platform, the party itself was at fault for not selling their ideas to that audience. They lost. The next logical step is not to appoint some party hack from Montreal that will likely never be elected (ya right, after that you want to try to get Fortier elected in Montreal?).

Begging the question. The Tories didn't win a seat and so it is an issue. You can't blame Montreal voters for not embracing the CPC platform, the party itself was at fault for not selling their ideas to that audience. They lost. The next logical step is not to appoint some party hack from Montreal that will likely never be elected (ya right, after that you want to try to get Fortier elected in Montreal?).

The Conservatives are trying to get Fortier elected in a suburb of Montreal. Fortier is running in the next Federal election. He has been nominated as the candidate in Vaudreuil-Soulanges. Maybe Montreal voters didn't vote for the party because they wanted to see them in action first. Consider Fortier's short time as a Senator to be a test run for Parliament.

You are very clear with what is wrong and bad. But what is the next logical step after 'they lost'. We know what you think isn't, but there needs to be some direction...

Here's the newest from the CTV on the proposed shuffle on Monday. Link

Sources suggest MacKay could switch portfolios with Industry Minister Maxime Bernier in an effort to allow MacKay to spend more time wooing Atlantic Canadians. The Nova Scotia MP already has the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency under his mantle, and the industry job is thought to be a more natural fit given the Harper government's fractious relationship with the region.

Bernier's name has also come up as a possible replacement for Flaherty.

Jim Prentice, currently at Indian affairs, is widely rumoured to be taking over defence from O'Connor, with Health Minister Tony Clement moving to Indian affairs.

Lawrence Cannon could move from transport to replace Heritage Minister Bev Oda who has been hammered by critics for her performance.

Sources indicate that whatever moves Harper makes, they will likely involve re-shuffling his front bench rather than a significant infusion of new blood. However one possible cabinet newcomer that gets repeated mention is Calgary backbencher Diane Ablonczy, who is rumoured to be in line for a senior post, possibly the health portfolio. The addition of the veteran parliamentarian would correct one of the notable omissions in Harper's first cabinet.

MacKay moving into Industry is a solid move. So is Prentice into Defence and Clement into Indian Affairs. Promoting Ablonczy into cabinet, and specifically into Health is another very strong room.

From the looks of things O'Connor might be left without a chair when the music stops.

The key thing to remember in all of this is Harper would be willing to change his mind up to the very last minute if he felt need be.

I think you're wrong there.

Diane has a teaching and law degree.Plus she has professional and business background which includes teaching elementary and junior high school.At one point she managed a grain farm operation and built a successful law practice.

While in opposition she was a health critic and spent a lot of time studying the European model for health care,plus she was also immigration and government accountability critic. She has a lot of respect from MP's.

She's definitely taking a major post in cabinet.

My guess is either Health or Immigration.

Looka like CTV was reading my post :P

Maybe it's got to do with Ablonczy being the former Official Opposition critic for the Health Care portfolio. :rolleyes:

That is precisely why I said she should get the portfolio.

She's no "light weight" as she was called on this thread, she does know her stuff.

She should have gotten the job first go round,instead of Clements,but I can understand why he was given the post....this time.

She's no "light weight" as she was called on this thread, she does know her stuff.

She should have gotten the job first go round,instead of Clements,but I can understand why he was given the post....this time.

I never thought she was a lightweight.

I think she was left out originally because people would have been up in arms with three members of cabinet from Calgary. Now? Mehhh she'll slide in and nobody will care.

Clements only won by 27 votes in our area, this is why he was made high profile, especially since he was involved in the mess made of the Sars item.

Another comment on Harper's cabinet shuffle, I heard a commentator say that Harper does not want to appear to give in to puplic opinion, excuse me, isn't he our servant and don't we pay him. A king does not give in, an elected official pays attention to public pressures.

Another comment on Harper's cabinet shuffle, I heard a commentator say that Harper does not want to appear to give in to puplic opinion, excuse me, isn't he our servant and don't we pay him. A king does not give in, an elected official pays attention to public pressures.

A lot depends on the context in which the pundit made the comment.

There is a fine line between being an autocrat and dithering. Paul Martin's greateast fault was his dithering because he listened too much to public pressure. That's how he ended up with 57 priorities ... otherwise known as having no priorities.

We elect our leaders to lead. It is impractical for every decision to be made by the people.

In a minority situation the perceived strength of the leader is the key to longevity and effective government.

Harper has a polar opposite leadership style to that of Paul Martin. Harper's minority has now two months longer than did Martin's. By that mearsure it appears Harper's leadership style has been more effective.

A quick glance through this thread shows me that there is no issue. Summer is a slow news time.

Harper can (and will) choose the best cabinet (in his view) for the country. He deserves the chance to adjust in peace the people he has to listen to in meetings.

Frankly, Harper has been a remarkable PM. He gets the job done and he chooses honest people and keeps them in line. Let him shuffle now if he wants.

In the past few days, I have been in northern Quebec and Ontario, talking to people, mostly federalists.

That's my impression: Harper's honest, and gets the job done. The country is at peace. As Trudeau once falsely said, The Land is Strong. Harper has achieved Trudeau's ideal.

Let Harper shuffle in peace, in an August summer. The mosquitoes are gone - let him appreciate the quiet sunsets before the morning storms.

Edited by August1991

In the past few days, I have been in northern Quebec and Ontario, talking to people, mostly federalists.

That's my impression: Harper's honest, and gets the job done. The country is at peace. As Trudeau once falsely said, The Land is Strong. Harper has achieved Trudeau's ideal.

Let Harper shuffle in peace, in an August summer. The mosquitoes are gone - let him appreciate the quiet sunsets before the morning storms.

Oh my, this fawning is just too much.

Harper is able to keep a lid on things because that is how is he manages his government. The country is hardly at peace when three provincial leaders are extremely hostile to him and feeling more embittered any time they have (or don't have) dealings with him.

The last cabinet shuffle removed Ambrose and placed Baird in her place. The government's policy is still a weak spot for them according to every poll taken since it was announced.

Business leaders are the most dubious about the cabinet change according to the National Post.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financi...e42&k=22715

The honeymoon is over for Stephen Harper's Cabinet, according to Canadian business leaders who believe the current government has done little to differentiate itself from its Liberal predecessor.

That's the conclusion of a Web-based COMPAS poll conducted in conjunction with BDO Dunwoody LLP for the Financial Post, which asked a panel of CEOs and business leaders to assess the Prime Minister and key ministers in Cabinet. The poll was conducted after media speculation about a Cabinet shuffle, expected as early as Monday.

In their assessment of key ministers governing the country, the panelists spared no one, as performance scores for every minister fell since the last, similar poll in February, 2006. That includes the Prime Minister, who saw his score drop from 74 to 66 on a 100-point school report-type scale. Mr. Harper still continues to outperform his ministers, however, and his performance score also remains higher than previous Liberal prime ministers Paul Martin and Jean Chretien, who rarely scored higher than 55.

This recent week when every major national bank had to jump into the market to prevent a complete meltdown of confidence would seem to indicate that the world is not at peace. The economy could be about ready for the correction many analysts have been warning about.

The government has been spending non-stop all summer and long before that. Do they truly have a plan if the world markets herald the beginning of a downturn?

Moreover, if Harper is hoping that the cabinet shuffle will help him in the polls, history is against him.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sto...f5-c079d7e72f46

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is expected to rearrange his cabinet, possibly as early as tomorrow, in an effort to revitalize his government and solve a handful of nagging problems before jumping back into the parliamentary fray in the fall.

Harper is likely hoping that a major shuffle might finally give the Tories the boost they need to rise above the 34-per-cent mark in public support, where the party has been stuck since since coming to power last year.

But Harper shouldn't count on it. Recent history shows that cabinet shuffles have almost zero impact on political fortunes.

Edited by jdobbin

Speculation from today's Globe. Link

MacKay ---> Defence

Bernier ---> Foreign Affairs

Prentice ---> Industry

Verner ----> Heritage

Means there won't be a minister of International Cooperation or Guergis gets bumped up.

Maybe Clement gets DIAND and Ablonczy gets picked for Health?

La Presse has the Bernier/Verner moves confirmed this morning.

If Prentice goes to industry, look to that being a b ig part of a re-election campaign..

Any ideas on what though?Ii was thinking the feds offering to put money on a high speed rail link between Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal.

Money for the same between Calgary-Edmonton and more monmey to improve infrastructure for ports and highways on the lower mainland.

Money for ports in the maritimes and maybe throw in the contrction of the 3 mutti-tasking vessels for the navy to be built in Halifax.

Although, this is more infrastructure than industry, I see it as well needed and can be 'sold' as being a good environmental choice as well.

The third cabinet of the Harper's new government is announced.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Here are some other cabinet moves:

* Saskatchewan MP Gerry Ritz becomes agriculture minister, having been a secretary of state for tourism. He replaces fellow Saskatchewan MP and Revenue Minister Carol Skelton, who has announced she won't run again.

* O'Connor becomes revenue minister.

* Another new face in cabinet is Alberta MP Diane Ablonczy, who replaces Ritz.

* Current Agriculture Minister Chuck Strahl, a B.C. MP, becomes Indian Affairs minister.

* Quebec MP Josee Verner becomes heritage minister, swapping jobs with Ontario's Bev Oda, who becomes international development minister.

Harper's new cabinet has seven women out of 26 full ministers -- the same number as the previous cabinet.

"The real problem facing the prime minister is he doesn't have a lot of women in caucus from which to select cabinet ministers," political scientist Barry Kay told CTV Newsnet.

This is definitely a cabinet Harper is willing to go to the electorate with.

The Oda - Verner switch was a smart move.

Skelton's out but Ablonczy's in as a Secretary of State.

Ritz becoming a full minister is a good move.

Strahl to Indian Affairs is a nice solid replacement for Prentice.

Prentice will do very well in Industry.

MacKay in Defence is a smart move. It's high profile, and if MacKay can't do it that makes Harper's position that much safer from potential aspirants to the throne.

Also key will be a document tabled by the Finance Department in November 2006 called Advantage Canada — a broad but vague blueprint for making the country competitive in the 21st century global economy.

It suggested lower taxes, eliminating Canada’s net debt within a generation, de-regulating industry, reducing red tape, investing in education and skills development, and building better infrastructure like roads, bridges, public transit and ports.

Prentice will likely spearhead some of those initiatives along with a pair of colleagues who will remain in their existing roles: Finance Minister Jim Flaherty and Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon.

well!

Source: Canoe

Two fewer women in the cabinet. Five women are in cabinet now, none in prominent positions and one who is not in the House of Commons. Not the best day for women in government.

Who are the two fewer women in this cabinet?

Harper's new cabinet has 26 full ministers and only seven are women -- the same number as the previous cabinet

`

Who are the two fewer women in this cabinet?

`

Carol Skelton is out of cabinet. I should have said there were six in cabinet and now there is only five.

Two of the other women are not in cabinet. They sit outside of cabinet.

Edited by jdobbin

Carol Skelton is out of cabinet. I should have said there were six in cabinet and now there is only five.

Two of the other women are not in cabinet. They sit outside of cabinet.

Ahhh, splitting hairs with Secretaries of State.

So Ablonczy and Guergis don't count? Very convenient.

If that is the only complaint about this cabinet then it ain't that bad. Hopefully the Conservatives elect more women with the majority.

Ahhh, splitting hairs with Secretaries of State.

So Ablonczy and Guergis don't count? Very convenient.

If that is the only complaint about this cabinet then it ain't that bad. Hopefully the Conservatives elect more women with the majority.

It isn't splitting hairs. Secretary of states are not considered cabinet. Look it up if you don't believe it. When the cabinet meets, parliamentary secretaries and secretaries of state do not meet with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_of_State_%28Canada%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ministry

There are no women is any prominent positions in the cabinet.

Edited by jdobbin