"I got a crush on Obama"

Anyone see the video? It's pretty out there, I don't know what to make of it. Obama's office denies having had a part in it, and to be honest I believe them. The video is so far-fetched I don't think I'd want anything to do with it if I were Obama.

It does, however, bring a Clintonesque anti-Democrat flavour which makes me wonder if it's not the Republican Party wanting to dissuade the "moral" voters from voting for Obama.

Ah yes, conspiracy theories abound, chick.

The same one that tied to say that Obama went to a Muslim madrassa to train him as a Manchurian candidate?

Think the Republicans whipped that one up to tar Obama and Clinton all at the same time.

Ooo, so clever minions from hell!

Yeah, I've seen it.

I'm not saying I'm convinced it's the doing of the Republican Party. I've just always been a firm believer of motives and that the person who benefits the most out of a situation is the one who is the most likely to have done something.

It just seems weird to me.... given that I the video tarnishes his image more than it helps him.

Added: if you really didn't understand what I was trying to say BTW, here it is - 8 years later Republican supporters still bring up Clinton's womanizing ways (jealousy maybe?), so I think the underlying message here is "do you really want another one?"

I thought it was good. It's better than painting a party logo on a stock car.

It's hard now to impress people and attract attention. In the US, the individual candidates have to make a name for themselves and become known. In Canada, it's the political parties that have to become known.

It's hard to establish recognition particularly among immigrants and young people who are just arriving in the arena.

People like Tom Hanks, Jack Nicholson and Julia Roberts have laboured decades to become recognizable and famous. Modern American politicians have to do the same in a few years.

In the past in the US, a good showing in New Hampshire guaranteed network news reports. That doesn't work anymore. OTOH, the Internet is a new medium. Obama is using it well.

I note that YouTube indicates some 1.5 million hits for the video.

----

As to Obama, he's doing the same as Kennedy in 1956 when he ran for VP at the convention, or Reagan when he ran for the Republicans in 1976.

Obama will lose now but he has a good chance in the future.

August, as always, you bring up great points - it's hard to argue with the playboy factor which won Kennedy the presidency or the fact that 1.5 million people have watched this video and are talking about it.

Having said that, I still wouldn't put it past Obama detractors to conjure up this video. The thing is, to me, the sexual content of it was over the top in a few scenes. Stripper shorts and bikinis have their time and place, but it just seemed a little inappropriate for a political stance. Especially the closeup of the backside in those shorts (not that there's anything wrong with that in another context).

For social liberals (like me), okay, but for a social conservatives, that video is more of a smear job more than praise. It reminded me of the Republican TV ad against Harold Ford during the '06 mid-term elections where the bimboish woman at the end of the commercial says "call me" all seductively. That ad was also accused of having racist overtones where the underlying message was that a black man is too busy chasing women to govern properly.

Either way it's genius marketing for both parties... both can stand back and deny having had a part in it... and both can ultimately benefit from it (or lose depending on whom you ask).

But I'm still leaning 51% toward my theory.