Happy Anniversary Israel

So swift and decisive was their victory, the conquest outpaced any existing strategy or wildest dream, while at the same time becoming Nasser's worst nightmare.

Several intersting articles in The Economist this week about the anniversary of the Six Day War.

They argue (quite convincingly) that the victory has not been good for Israel at all.

Classic case of win the battle but loose your soul in the process.

Jonathon Kay's essay today:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.h...a9-8208fa746442

It is in the Arab world where the historical impact of the Six-Day War remains most keenly felt. The Israeli victory 40 years ago was so enormous, the humiliation of its neighbours so complete, that it single-handedly discredited both Arab nationalism -- the great creed of the day -- and its charismatic champion, Egyptian president Gamal Abdel Nasser. The Six-Day War had existential meaning for Israel: It allowed Jews to escape their "Auschwitz borders" (as Abba Eban called them) and seize control of Jerusalem for the first time in 2,000 years. But it had no less existential meaning for Arabs. It showed them that the dictators who ruled them were hopeless at accomplishing the one, single delirious goal that had been at the centre of Arab ideology and propaganda since the early decades of the 20th century: the annihilation of the Jewish presence in the Middle East.

etc.

Ummm......as much as I am glad they came out okay, isn't this like wishing the american's happy anniversary on Dec 7th?

Only if you are comparing Jordan, Syria, and Egypt to the United States. And of course, Dec 7th is a very happy anniversary for Canada and the Commonwealth....America was "officially" in the war.

Several intersting articles in The Economist this week about the anniversary of the Six Day War.

They argue (quite convincingly) that the victory has not been good for Israel at all.

Classic case of win the battle but loose your soul in the process.

I read that article too. Very interesting points indeed.

Ummm......as much as I am glad they came out okay, isn't this like wishing the american's happy anniversary on Dec 7th?

No, that would by like wishing Egypt happy anniversary today.

Can someone tell this insufferable clown that he's supposed to be ignoring me and not stalking me......