Was There a PM Named Johnny Poutine? (from NYC restaurant wars)

Seems that Canada's trying to kill us with clogged arteries, in re-enactment of War of 1812. Excerpts below (link to article):

May 23, 2007

A Staple From Quebec, Embarrassing but Adored

By KATE SEKULES

DURING the 2000 presidential campaign, the candidate from Texas fielded a question from Canada: “Prime Minister Jean Poutine said you look like the man who should lead the free world into the 21st century. What do you think about that?”

When George W. Bush pledged to “work closely together” with Mr. Poutine, Montrealers fell off their chairs laughing. It wasn’t so much that the Canadian leader was, in fact, Jean Chrétien, but that the “reporter” — Rick Mercer, a television comedian — had invoked the city’s emblematic, problematic, comedic junk food dish: poutine.

A gloppy, caloric layering of French fries, fresh cheese curds (a byproduct of Cheddar making) and gravy, poutine goes deep into the Quebequois psyche. Somehow, Quebec’s rural roots, its split identity (Acadian farmers or Gallic gourmets?) and its earthy sense of humor are all embodied by its unofficial dish.

This may be one reason that until now poutine has not traveled well.

*snip*

That bit was from Mercer's embarrassing "Talking to Americans" segments.

I think those really looked bad on Canadians.

"We're so morally superior because Americans don't know anything about us and we know everything about them. Why don't they care enough to get to know us?"

Like the homely smart girl pining for the QB of the football team. We are somehow better than Americans for this? Too good for them maybe?

At least that homely smart girl went on to university and finally got laid. :lol:

I agree. In general, I think Mercer is quite funny and can be quite insightful. I think he was really off base with those segments. I found them embarrassing and changed channels whenever one came on. They sure didn't make me proud to be a Canadian.

I agree. In general, I think Mercer is quite funny and can be quite insightful. I think he was really off base with those segments. I found them embarrassing and changed channels whenever one came on. They sure didn't make me proud to be a Canadian.

Mercer can be humourous at times.

Those talking to American segments really showed what the heart of so much of the Canadian-based America bashing is really all about.

Jealousy of the US.

The US is bigger then us. Has a better entertainment industry and better athletes. They can use their economic and military might to throw their weight around.

Would Canada really be any different if we had the same level of economic and military power?

"We're so morally superior because Americans don't know anything about us and we know everything about them. Why don't they care enough to get to know us?"

Like the homely smart girl pining for the QB of the football team. We are somehow better than Americans for this? Too good for them maybe?

At least that homely smart girl went on to university and finally got laid. :lol:

Finally somebody else who recognizes that Rick Mercer is an opportunist who makes applesauce from the low hanging fruit. When are we going to have our own political satire of the same quality of "Yes Minister"? Instead we seem to be stuck in "The Nanny" sitcome territory. 22 Minutes has improved since Mercer left, IMHO.

Finally somebody else who recognizes that Rick Mercer is an opportunist who makes applesauce from the low hanging fruit. When are we going to have our own political satire of the same quality of "Yes Minister"? Instead we seem to be stuck in "The Nanny" sitcome territory. 22 Minutes has improved since Mercer left, IMHO.

ty ty

I'm not a big British humour guy. Never really 'get it' in most cases. Can't recall having seen more than of a snippet of Yes, Minister.

I'm not the guy who thinks that any American adaptation of a British sitcome is bound to fail. Both versions of the Office, both British and American, are brilliant IMHO.

There have been some brilliant satirical Canadian movies.

Stardom and FUBAR in English.

Montreal-Quebec and Horloge Biologique in French.

Can't really think of a good satirical Canadian sitcom though...

Mercer is hilarious and I'm glad he aired those little segments. They have absolutely nothing to do with any feelings of jealousy or inferiority to the U.S. They just show, from the street, how little educated the yanks are in regards to their northern neighbour.

Mercer is hilarious and I'm glad he aired those little segments. They have absolutely nothing to do with any feelings of jealousy or inferiority to the U.S. They just show, from the street, how little educated the yanks are in regards to their northern neighbour.
I would not call Mercer's skits representative of the average American. We have no idea how many people he approached until he found someone willing to look stupid on camera. I also suspect that Mercer could have found an equal number of stupid people on the streets of any Canadian city - he just never bothered to look.

I've gotta agree with both Riverwind and Who's Doing What..

Yes, most Americans aren't that stupid, and they probably have to talk to quite a few people before fiding some idiots. And yes, there are a few idiots in Canada who would also come up with stupid remarks.

...but that doesn't mean it's not absolutely hilarious. I don't believe it has to do with anti-Americanism, or being jealous of the U.S., I think it's simply meant to be humorous, period.

Yes, most Americans aren't that stupid, and they probably have to talk to quite a few people before fiding some idiots. And yes, there are a few idiots in Canada who would also come up with stupid remarks.

...but that doesn't mean it's not absolutely hilarious. I don't believe it has to do with anti-Americanism, or being jealous of the U.S., I think it's simply meant to be humorous, period.

Humourous by making fun of dimwitted fools.

Why not stay in Canada and interview people with down's syndrom? I'm sure they could be talked into doing really goofy shit given the right inducements.

Having seen me on the Board, you've got to be f**ng kidding.

I didn't realize every segment of Talking to Americans was done with GW Bush. I thought it was just the one.

Come on gc1765 you usually have more game than that. :lol:

Well, what is your answer? Is he a dimwitted fool or not?

If your answer is no, that would seem to suggest that even relatively smart people make stupid mistakes. I know I make a lot of them...heck, you could make a pretty funny show out if it :lol:

Well, what is your answer? Is he a dimwitted fool or not?

If your answer is no, that would seem to suggest that even relatively smart people make stupid mistakes. I know I make a lot of them...heck, you could make a pretty funny show out if it :lol:

IIRC GW's only mistake was not knowing Chretien's last name.

Poutine? why would an American know what that is.

That one was just plain sad on Mercer's part.

I don't think Bush made a stupid mistake on that one at all.

Shows how much Americans care what their Presidential candidates know about Canada.

As for the anger in your questions. Relax :lol:

So, are the people on the show dimwitted fools or not? I'm confused because earlier you said they were, but after I brought up George Bush, you seem to be saying that they aren't.

So, are the people on the show dimwitted fools or not? I'm confused because earlier you said they were, but after I brought up George Bush, you seem to be saying that they aren't.

Some of the people interviewed on the show are a little slow.

I never said everybody.

Some people does not mean e v e r y p e o p l e e v e r y o n e. :lol:

Just like some people here are a little slow and get confused in trying to play childish little games. While others merely point out the facts.

Having seen me on the Board, you've got to be f**ng kidding.

Easy now big fella. Just cause you are seem to have a little knowledge of our great country, don't make any assumptions that your fellow Americans do. The truth is they don't seem to give a shit.