security and prosperity partnership

South Dakota Bans Abortion

The law makes it a felony to perform any abortion except in a case of a pregnant woman's life being in jeopardy.
Already, the state's move seems to have emboldened legislators opposed to abortion elsewhere. For months, similar bills had been proposed in the statehouses of at least a half-dozen states, including Ohio, Georgia and Tennessee, but some efforts have gained steam in the weeks since the South Dakota Legislature overwhelmingly passed its ban.

Here's more if you don't like that link:

Washington Post

Gee it looks like you don't know your country very well ;)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Dakota Bans Abortion
The law makes it a felony to perform any abortion except in a case of a pregnant woman's life being in jeopardy.
Already, the state's move seems to have emboldened legislators opposed to abortion elsewhere. For months, similar bills had been proposed in the statehouses of at least a half-dozen states, including Ohio, Georgia and Tennessee, but some efforts have gained steam in the weeks since the South Dakota Legislature overwhelmingly passed its ban.

Here's more if you don't like that link:

Washington Post

Gee it looks like you don't know your country very well ;)

Looks like you need to do better homework. Abortion is still legal in the State of South Dakota:

South Dakota voters reject abortion ban

By David Crary, Associated Press | November 8, 2006

NEW YORK -- South Dakotans rejected a toughest-in-the-nation law that would have banned virtually all abortions, even in cases of rape and incest -- defeating one of the most high-profile state measures facing voters yesterday .

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...t_abortion_ban/

Try again....tell us all about "some states" that have made abortion illegal. LOL!

I think the point is that there is a difference. In fact as Drea points out there are a lot of differences. What is unfortunate is that we have a group of top executives of multinational companies directing efforts to take out differences that are slowing down their efforts to make everything part of the marketplace.

I think the point is that there is a difference. In fact as Drea points out there are a lot of differences. What is unfortunate is that we have a group of top executives of multinational companies directing efforts to take out differences that are slowing down their efforts to make everything part of the marketplace.

If that is the point, please note that the same multinationals have established suppliers and markets in countries that remain quite different. Canada was far less different by definiton compared to many other nations from the 'git go.

It is so noted, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if those same multinationals have executives pushing for increased harmony of structures whether political, social, financial, or environmental in other countries, in order that trade in the world and world trade is made easier for them, even if it causes irritation and loss of freedom to the rest of us.

At some point it stops being government of the people, by the people, for the people, and becomes the same for the multinationals. I don't mind particularily if it comes to that in the States but I would hate for it to happen in Canada and Mexico, because as I said earlier they are missing out on way to much of social value and social reality by being elitist.

At some point it stops being government of the people, by the people, for the people, and becomes the same for the multinationals. I don't mind particularily if it comes to that in the States but I would hate for it to happen in Canada and Mexico, because as I said earlier they are missing out on way to much of social value and social reality by being elitist.

How ironic.....do you know where that quote comes from? That would be the American Abe Lincoln and his Gettysburg address:

...that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom–and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

I don't think that my referencing it is ironic, it was intentional. What is ironic is that the country of it's birth is losing it's government as much as Canada and Mexico in this struggle with the SPP and corporate elitism.

It is ironic because you chose the words of an American president fresh off of the decisive defeat of the Confederate States of America, even as they sought to preserve independence, states rights, property rights, etc. The same president who suspended constitutional rights to imprison Americans. And in the end, the Union and the corporatists won.

That is why it is ironic.

Well if I understood that, it means that it was ironic when Lincoln said it, because the civil war had just taken away the rights of confederate citizens to own slaves as property.

Does anyone have any info on where the big corporate citizens live? Are Exxon, Archer Daniels Midland, Abitibi, etc. really unrepentant southern statists and is that why they are trying to gain ownership of the world? Revenge? Time to get a life guys.

Well if I understood that, it means that it was ironic when Lincoln said it, because the civil war had just taken away the rights of confederate citizens to own slaves as property.

No, it was only ironic when you repeated Lincoln's words in the context of Mexico and Canada resisting the SPP to preserve autonomy, or Americans preserving constitutional rights. For instance, both Lincoln and Davis suspended habeas corpus in various states irrespective of slavery.

FYI, the US Constitution was written and signed by many slave owners.

You see irony in one aspect, I see it in another. As one of Spider Robinsons characters once said God is an iron. That slave owners signed the constitution might be considered an irony if a somewhat heavy handed one. The loss of individual constitutional rights and national autonomy, in three countries that have been dedicated to them to the point of having corporate citizenship powerful enough to command an unilateral influence over the same governments goes beyond irony.

... The loss of individual constitutional rights and national autonomy, in three countries that have been dedicated to them to the point of having corporate citizenship powerful enough to command an unilateral influence over the same governments goes beyond irony.

This is problematic at several levels, not the least of which are the very differences between the three nations and "constitutional rights" today and yesterday. The multinationals and domestic corporatists provide that which government cannot. Canadian and Mexican governments openly invited such investment as the lifeblood of economic vitality and tax revenue from resulting economic activity. See FTA/NAFTA.

I think that it is the differences that are a problem. That plus the notion that the corporate eggheads who are trying to minimize the differences are trying to do so on the sly, making it impossible for them to do because they are missing out on the input from the people most directly affected by their recommendations. I don't think it is possible in any working sense anyway. We have our separate histories and we will have our separarte futures. The liberalconservatives in this country must be very insecure and frightened little individuals to need to rely on foreign investment the way they do and to the extent that they do.

Here's an interesting site that recognizes other problems.

http://stopspp.com/stopspp/index.php

Here's an interesting site that recognizes other problems.

http://stopspp.com/stopspp/index.php

I will believe that such anti-SPP efforts have gained traction when these same concerned citizens ask foreign manufacturing and services to leave, along with investment capital, free trade, standardization, law enforcement, etc.

We all have our own thresholds for belief. You appear to believe that it is an all or nothing situation, either we surrender all authority over our economy and right down to law enforcement, to the corporate need for control or we should drive them out with pitchforks and burning brands. You may be right. I believe we have at present, an opportunity to impress upon our political parties and our bureaucrats the knowledge that they may be taking bad advice. At the least they are taking one-sided advice, and that is bound to get them and us into trouble.

We all have our own thresholds for belief. You appear to believe that it is an all or nothing situation, either we surrender all authority over our economy and right down to law enforcement, to the corporate need for control or we should drive them out with pitchforks and burning brands. You may be right. I believe we have at present, an opportunity to impress upon our political parties and our bureaucrats the knowledge that they may be taking bad advice. At the least they are taking one-sided advice, and that is bound to get them and us into trouble.

Regardless of any such characterizatiin of my position, ignoring the obvious symbiosis between goverment and commerce is done at great peril to a standard of living that was built on the domination and subjugation of land, people, and resources. To stop the game now at your present comfort level is a bit self serving, just as we have been in the past.

I don't know that ignoring the symbiosis between commerce and government is any more or less perilous to our standard of living than ignoring the symbiosis of us and the environment in general. The very problem of depending on a system designed for and requiring the subjugation and exploitation of people and resources, is the ignorance developed of the latter symbiosis. For example there is a common belief that one can deal with a specific problem in isolation if you have the right technicians working on it.

The reality is that a holistic approach is the only one that has a chance of working. In this case the governmants of North America appear to believe that the necessary answers can be got without Innuit elders, Mexican peasants, or Inner city healers, or any number of other opinionated people outside of the corporate elite and academic ivory tower types. One more step in the development of aristocracy, and look what happened to them the last time around.

• 2 weeks later...

Analysts: Dollar collapse would result in 'amero'

WORLD NET DAILY EXCLUSIVE

"The Fed is in a very tough spot here," Chapman wrote, "If they raise rates, the real estate market will collapse, and if they lower rates, the dollar will collapse."

Meeting yesterday, the Federal Reserve Open Market Committee voted, as Chapman had predicted, to hold the overnight lending rates between banks steady at 5.25 percent. This was the fourth straight meeting the Fed had voted not to change rates. In its rate announcement, the Fed affirmed the economy had slowed.

Almost immediately after the announcement of the Fed's decision, the dollar weakened to a new 20-month low against the euro, with currency markets reportedly pricing in the expectation the Fed will be forced to lower rates next year to bolster the economy. Following the announcement by the Fed, the U.S. Dollar Index, or USDX, also dropped, with the dollar going below 83.

A dollar collapse is imminent, Chapman declared.

"Technicians studying the USDX think there is a support level for the dollar at 75, but I don't think so."

How low could the dollar go?

"If the dollar breaks through 78.33 on the USDX," Chapman answered, "my guess is the dollar will go through a 35-percent correction, which would put it at 55."

"The key in how low the dollar goes is the interest rates," Chapman told WND. "In January, the Fed is going to have to make a decision which way to go. If Fed rates go up, the dollar will hold in the 78.33 range, but the stock market and the economy will tank. If next year the Fed lowers rates to keep the economy from crashing, the bottom will fall out of the dollar, and I see it going as low as 55. Once the dollar hits bottom, it will take the stock market and the economy right with it anyway. The Fed is in a box they can't get out of."

As WND reported earlier this week, in an unusual move, the Bush administration is sending virtually the entire economic "A-team" to visit China for a "strategic economic dialogue" in Beijing Thursday and Friday. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke are leading the delegation, along with five other cabinet-level officials, including Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez. Also in the delegation will be Labor Secretary Elaine Chao, Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt, Energy Secretary Sam Bodman, and U.S. Trade Representative Susan Schwab.

But Chapman doubts the trip will help the Fed to engineer a slow dollar slide.

"The Chinese are going to do what the Chinese want to do, not what we want them to do," he said. "I believe the Chinese are going to send Treasury Secretary Paulson and Fed Chairman Bernanke home packing, with little or nothing to show for the trip."

How severe will the coming dollar collapse be?

"People in the U.S. are going to be hit hard," Chapman warned. "In the severe recession we are entering now, Bush will argue that we have to form a North American Union to compete with the Euro."

"Creating the amero," Chapman explained, "will be presented to the American public as the administration's solution for dollar recovery. In the process of creating the amero, the Bush administration just abandons the dollar."

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53350

• 2 weeks later...

wow, how in depth are these people? We're going to ask the Chinese to play along with our money strategies? Maybe ask them to pay their people a living wage? Maybe allow capitalists in to skim more of the profit off and bring it back to the USA so that the $ doesn't go south? I tend to agree that they aren't going to have a lot of luck with either of those strategies.

The dollar is based on what people are willing to pay for it, period. it's based on how much money traders can make trading it at different levels. There's an absolute to base an economy on eh?

Amero, Amero, wherefore art thou? one more tricksy little ploy mr. bush has up his sleeve. The corporate leaders of the free world can't lose. Either they get allowed into China and probably India to the extent that they can maintain their sovereignty, or bushman hands them a northamerican union to sooth their aching desire to get bigger.

dam they are pathetic little men.

Why do you think a lower value American dollar would be so bad for the American economy?

Also, fyi - the Chinese peg their dollar to the American dollar. They keep it artificially low so their products are artificially cheap compared to what they would be if they let their currency float on the open market.

American has a net trade deficit. A lower Dollar would make exports cheaper (and thereby increase American exports) and make imports more expensive (thereby reducing imports). All in all, a lower dollar would be a very good thing for the American economy.

I don't know that ignoring the symbiosis between commerce and government is any more or less perilous to our standard of living than ignoring the symbiosis of us and the environment in general. The very problem of depending on a system designed for and requiring the subjugation and exploitation of people and resources, is the ignorance developed of the latter symbiosis. For example there is a common belief that one can deal with a specific problem in isolation if you have the right technicians working on it.

The reality is that a holistic approach is the only one that has a chance of working. In this case the governmants of North America appear to believe that the necessary answers can be got without Innuit elders, Mexican peasants, or Inner city healers, or any number of other opinionated people outside of the corporate elite and academic ivory tower types. One more step in the development of aristocracy, and look what happened to them the last time around.

Wow. Such a pile of BS in two paragraphs I have not seen in some time.

So, government should consult 'inner city healers' to shape policy?

Did someone spike your weed on June 9th?

Wow. Such a pile of BS in two paragraphs I have not seen in some time.

So, government should consult 'inner city healers' to shape policy?

Did someone spike your weed on June 9th?

Well, when you got it flaunt it I always say.

That is a good part of my point here, that when the politicians are giving such good ear to the corporate elite, and relying on good old trickle down economics, they are missing out on what people in other positions have to go through because of their ignorance. Ignorance achieved through missing out on more in depth discussions of societal benefits and costs.

The reason I think the American money management is worried about a lower dollar is because the lower American dollar will reduce the American consumers spending power, which in my opinion would be a good thing. However it must just terrify politicians in the states because the whole structure is predicated on happy happy happy people buying buying buying. It's so entrenched at this point that elections are at stake because of it.