Passport Canada

If this is an indication of the Liberals' strategy in the next election, it will go nowhere.

Reminding voters of the incompetent federal bureaucracy and trying to somehow blame the Conservative government is not a winning strategy. First, (as other posters have noted), the Conservatives haven't been in power long enough and second, the strategy will just drive more voters to the "anti-government Conservatives".

Nor will it gain anything for the Tories to blame the Liberals about the problem.

I didn't know there was any anti-government Conservative voters left. They're all big government Conservatives now.

Big government Conservatives rationalizing incompetent bureaucracy.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet they don't stay unchanged. This is just what the system needed. Too bad so many have had to suffer before it could happen.

I'd love to see the changed you detailed but have seen no indication that they are going ahead with them.

You could ask the AG:

"I'm pleased at the progress Passport Canada has made in the relatively short time since our 2005 audit. The Agency has clearly directed a major effort toward resolving the problems we had identified. ""

You could ask the AG:

"I'm pleased at the progress Passport Canada has made in the relatively short time since our 2005 audit. The Agency has clearly directed a major effort toward resolving the problems we had identified. ""

Those aren't the changes we were commenting on.

Bet they don't stay unchanged. This is just what the system needed. Too bad so many have had to suffer before it could happen.

I'd love to see the changed you detailed but have seen no indication that they are going ahead with them.

You could ask the AG:

The 2005 report came out in April, 2005 when the Liberals were still in power and long lineups were not an issue. What evidence do you have that (1) "a major effort toward resolving the problems we had identified"

referred to lineups as opposed to other issues such as security issues and (2) can be attributed to the Conservatives?

You could ask the AG:

This is dated 2007 so comments refer to 2005 and 2006, seems as if there is some improvements with more to go. They have hired 500 more people, I suppose thats not enough, maybe another 500 on the payroll.

Either way, its being worked on, and I still believe that people have known for years now, it is their fault for waiting until the last minute.

http://cmte.parl.gc.ca/Content/HOC/Committ.../OGGOEV37-E.PDF t

Another area in which globalization has a significant impact is passport services. In 2005 we reported that the passport office, now Passport Canada, was struggling to meet higher expectations for security and growing demands for service. Since then, it has dealt with an unprecedented demand, issuing over three million passports in 2005-06.

High demand pressures will continue, given the more stringent U.S. requirements for passports. The agency has clearly directed a major effort toward resolving the problems that we had identified in 2005. For example, examiners now have appropriate tools and training to determine whether identity documents provided with passport applications are authentic. Passport Canada has also significantly enlarged its watch list and has used the information to refuse applications or to investigate them further.

This is dated 2007 so comments refer to 2005 and 2006, seems as if there is some improvements with more to go. They have hired 500 more people, I suppose thats not enough, maybe another 500 on the payroll.

Either way, its being worked on, and I still believe that people have known for years now, it is their fault for waiting until the last minute.

It still isn't what we commenting on.

I still believe that people have known for years now, it is their fault for waiting until the last minute.

Yes, blame the victim. I'm sure the woman who now wants a passport because she was just diagnosed with terminal cancer should have anticipated this. I'm sure the family going to India for a wedding should have anticipated that their cousin would be married in July. I'm sure the mother who wants to go to a NY hospital to visit her daughter who was in an accident should have anticipated that she'd need a passport. Yes, blame the victim.

Yes, blame the victim. I'm sure the woman who now wants a passport because she was just diagnosed with terminal cancer should have anticipated this. I'm sure the family going to India for a wedding should have anticipated that their cousin would be married in July. I'm sure the mother who wants to go to a NY hospital to visit her daughter who was in an accident should have anticipated that she'd need a passport. Yes, blame the victim.

Perhaps this will be their election strategy: Blame the people who have no choice but to wait and wait and wait to get their passports.

Perhaps this will be their election strategy: Blame the people who have no choice but to wait and wait and wait to get their passports.

For a party which campaigned on a platform of government accountability, it's astonishing how rapidly they've transformed themselves into a party that blames their citizens instead of takes responsibility. As minister responsible for Passport Canada, you'd think Peter MacKay would be willing to take some responsibility.

Well then, let me as a civil servant express my utter contempt for taxpayers, that mass of ignorant, bawling sheep who want everything on a platter but don't want to pay for it.
We need public service cuts.
Oh please. Could you possibly be more cliched? Why does everyone use that stupid cliche? Do you think we don't pay taxes too? Does anyone tell the mechanic at the garage "I pay your salary! You work for me!"? phht.
First of all, YES, the mechanic for the customer and the customer pays his salary. [Do you get your car fixed in some bonus public service garage???] More importantly, nobody needs to tell the mechanic anything. Everybody understands the deal.

Public servants do not have the same level of accountability.

Do you have any idea how processing of passports could be speeded up rapidly for a short period of time without enormous cost? Do you even know what is involved in processing passport applications? I can tell you that the people who actually make passports are working three shifts, 24hrs a day, and working on weekends, as well. I can tell you the equipment used is very large, very expensive, and
-- and I do not care. Do they still use punch-cards too???

Let us look outside the box. The day that a politician:

- introduces a more advanced technology

- God forbid, outsources the passport service

- Hell! even agrees with the U.S.A to share a visa

will be the day that the Canadian public servants in the passport office will be crying Boo Hoo themselves.

I used to work in a public library when they still had a card catalogue. I bet a lot of people remember thoses. Somebody was paid to update and type those cards by hand. Her job disappeared when the library moved to computers.

This:

Civil servants pay a substantial amount of their salary into their pension plan, and I highly doubt there's any legal way for the government to retroactively change the provisions of a pension plan they have gone to so much trouble and time to explain to each and every civil servant (including special classes to instruct them in what to expect and how to prepare for retirement). Furthermore, why would they? Because of whiners who don't like public servants and are jealous of them? The government makes noises to court this vote, but it knows that if it wants to function properly making their public servants hate them is unlikely to be of much assistance. It just causes every scandalous secret to be sent to the press in brown envelopes.
gives me more and more and more reasons to advocate cuts to the public service.

I remember when Mulroney started his first wave of cuts to the public service. My father was a federal public servant at the time. He laughed at the strikes because his colleagues eventually admitted that the public will realize how little they need public servants.

I remember when Mulroney started his first wave of cuts to the public service. My father was a federal public servant at the time. He laughed at the strikes because his colleagues eventually admitted that the public will realize how little they need public servants.

Why don't you suggest to Peter MacKay, the Minister responsible for Passport Canada, that he should get rid of the public servants at Passport Canada since they're not needed.

Some on this thread blamed the victims but it's good to know that the real problem is the public servants.

For a party which campaigned on a platform of government accountability, it's astonishing how rapidly they've transformed themselves into a party that blames their citizens instead of takes responsibility. As minister responsible for Passport Canada, you'd think Peter MacKay would be willing to take some responsibility.

Citizens have to be responsible as well. Trying to blame this one on the Conservatives is a bit of a stretch.

Why don't you suggest to Peter MacKay, the Minister responsible for Passport Canada, that he should get rid of the public servants at Passport Canada since they're not needed.
I will.
Some on this thread blamed the victims but it's good to know that the real problem is the public servants.
-- and some public servants in this thread clearly do not care about the tax-payers.

Citizens have to be responsible as well.

How could this citizen have been more responsible?

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/st...1d0310f&k=66359

Thanks for the link. Did you read page 2? Since there are provisons in place for people like her so they don't have to stand in line at all (no, it's not Harper's fault her family was vacationing in Australia) and if they do they can go to the front of the line, I really don't see what the big deal is about. Also, she could get her passport within 48 hours by paying an additional $70. That sounds reasonable.

Gotta wonder about some people and their fixation on blaming the CPC about everything. Think the needles stuck. Most people have known for what two years or so about this and its all Harpers fault, this is getting to be like a broken record. Who can take anyone seriously when they have such a blatent hate on for someone. No credibility there now.

Besides some one else said there are provisions for emergencies this is just another case of mountains out of molehills. Somepeople need to get a life huh

Thanks for the link. Did you read page 2? Since there are provisons in place for people like her so they don't have to stand in line at all (no, it's not Harper's fault her family was vacationing in Australia) and if they do they can go to the front of the line, I really don't see what the big deal is about. Also, she could get her passport within 48 hours by paying an additional $70. That sounds reasonable.

Read page 3 of the link and you'll see that they declined to expedite her application.

Read page 3 of the link and you'll see that they declined to expedite her application.

I did read the entire story, including page 3. Her application was expedited. She was moved to the front of the line. Her friend asked if they could expedite it even further. Basically her friend was saying "Can't you do it any faster?" This is to what the manager replied, "No." Procedure does take some time. Pure media spin.

This story could have been written very positive. A lady with terminal cancer didn't have to wait in line and was able to get a passport within 48 hours so she could see the world. That wouldn't have sold as many papers.

I did read the entire story, including page 3. Her application was expedited. She was moved to the front of the line. Her friend asked if they could expedite it even further. Basically her friend was saying "Can't you do it any faster?" This is to what the manager replied, "No." Procedure does take some time. Pure media spin.

This story could have been written very positive. A lady with terminal cancer didn't have to wait in line

But she did have to wait in line. Even though the commissionaires became aware of her at 8:15 am, she didn't get out until 10:45 am.

My wife and son just received their passports. It took less than 6 weeks to get them. Not too bad all things considering. The wait in line was approx. 2 hours.

People can pay extra to have their passport applications hurried up. I paid extra to get a 48 hour turn around on mine before.

This story could have been written very positive. A lady with terminal cancer didn't have to wait in line and was able to get a passport within 48 hours so she could see the world. That wouldn't have sold as many papers.

Its always media spin isn't it. It also sounds as if the problem was with that particular office in not accommodating her. I still don't understand why people let their passports expire or even why they don't have one, you never know when you'll need it.

You could ask the AG:

Of course not. You wouldn't ever comment on the AG paying the government a compliment.

Well then, let me as a civil servant express my utter contempt for taxpayers, that mass of ignorant, bawling sheep who want everything on a platter but don't want to pay for it.
We need public service cuts.

Because that'll speed up passport processing, right?

Do you have any idea how processing of passports could be speeded up rapidly for a short period of time without enormous cost? Do you even know what is involved in processing passport applications? I can tell you that the people who actually make passports are working three shifts, 24hrs a day, and working on weekends, as well. I can tell you the equipment used is very large, very expensive, and
-- and I do not care.

Typical

Do they still use punch-cards too???

Let us look outside the box. The day that a politician:

- introduces a more advanced technology

The equipment is actually quite modern. There just isn't enough of it, nor enough space. Passport has been underfunded for many years.

- God forbid, outsources the passport service

Right, that's a good idea. There are a lof of Sri Lankans in Toronto more than willing to work a cheap job for a private sector company creating Canadian passports. Heck, they even already have experience.

- Hell! even agrees with the U.S.A to share a visa

The USA would not agree to share a visa because we have too many foreigners in Canada. That is the entire reason for their new rule.