Passport Canada

This thread is just another 'blame the party presently in power if it's the CPC thread.

And of course no one on this board ever blamed the Liberals when they were in power.

The difference is they were in power with majorities for thirteen years, and much of the things which are being blamed on the Tory government are due to policies put in place by the previous Liberals. Certainly whatever is going on at Passport Canada in terms of budgeting, space and employees was set in place by the previous government.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An undated briefing document to Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day obtained by Sun Media under Access to Information warns that pushing the current five-year limit to 10 could compromise security of the documents.

How can other countries do it without compromising their security? Are our people incompetent in comparison? Pure bureaucratic BS out of fear that it might result in some downsizing of their little empire.

An undated briefing document to Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day obtained by Sun Media under Access to Information warns that pushing the current five-year limit to 10 could compromise security of the documents.

How can other countries do it without compromising their security? Are our people incompetent in comparison? Pure bureaucratic BS out of fear that it might result in some downsizing of their little empire.

This was questioned under previous gov'ts too, not just now under the CPC. When I asked at the passport office I was told that other countries would eventually reduce theirs to less than 10 years.

When I asked at the passport office I was told that other countries would eventually reduce theirs to less than 10 years.

Ya right. It is nearly 6 years since 9/11 and there is no talk of those other countries doing it yet. Again, Passport Canada defending their empire.

• 4 weeks later...

The U.S. is looking to extend the time passports come into use because they are having a hard time getting passports to U.S. residents.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/us_cda_passports

U.S. legislators say they'll push to include Canadian air travellers in a sweeping reprieve on passports granted Friday to Americans, the latest confusing twist to new security rules hitting tourism hard on both sides of the border.

Meantime, the bid to help irate summer flyers while clearing a huge backlog of passport applications proves the U.S. won't be ready to require the documents at land crossings next January as planned, observers say.

American officials are talking now about a "phased implemention" of that second part of the passport plan but refuse to say whether or how long if might be delayed.

Meanwhile in Canada, the government has changed the rules so that it doesn't continue to add to the backlog.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/070608/...a_passports_col

Canada will no longer require professionals, like mayors or doctors, to vouch for the identity of applicants, serving as a guarantor. Any passport holder can now vouch for anybody else.

And Ottawa will make it simpler to renew passports, no longer requiring proof of citizenship once again or another declaration from a guarantor.

It now takes as long as 10 weeks to get a passport by mail -- though only about two weeks for those who apply in person -- as Canadians who used to enter the United States with just a driver's license or a birth certificate scramble to get passports following the introduction of new U.S. entry rules.

Meanwhile in Canada, the government has changed the rules so that it doesn't continue to add to the backlog.

Canada will no longer require professionals, like mayors or doctors, to vouch for the identity of applicants, serving as a guarantor. Any passport holder can now vouch for anybody else.

And Ottawa will make it simpler to renew passports, no longer requiring proof of citizenship once again or another declaration from a guarantor.

It now takes as long as 10 weeks to get a passport by mail -- though only about two weeks for those who apply in person -- as Canadians who used to enter the United States with just a driver's license or a birth certificate scramble to get passports following the introduction of new U.S. entry rules.

Even an incompetent government eventually responds to pressure.

That's good, because that was an issue for a lot of people.

I disagree. Who doesn't know a professional? At least that means you have an established Canadian vouching for your credibility.

Now you can have a Canadian that's been here two weeks (or how about someone born in Canada, left a month later and has never returned).

The Khadrs could be signing passports.

Not a good idea at all. If we're all about scrapping all the security of the document, let's just keep them valid forever and be done with it.

Once you have one, I agree you shouldn't need a professional guarantor the second time around. But the first time? For sure.

What goes into the processing of a pasport is of no concern to me; that is Passport Canada's concern and it seems they don't know what it entails either since they are obviously not handling it well. How many of you on this board would survive at what you do if you did what Passport Canada is doing? We all know that only a government can get away with this type of behaviour.

So, everyone who has applied for a passport is an idiot? Right, that’s rational thinking. How can anyone be so presumptuous as to call all applicants idiots? I travel a great deal and, because I had to travel in mid-March, was unable to apply for my passport until the end of March…which I did. My last passport expired at the end of May. I have a travel date of June 8/2007 on my application but no one at Passport Canada cares about that; they don’t even look at it. To date, I have no passport and no documents to prove that I am a Canadian because Passport Canada has all of these documents. I rescheduled my business for June 15th…that is 2 days away and it is obvious that I won’t be receiving my passport any time soon. I called for 3 days before finally being able to get into the “hold” queue. Anyway, this person said she could not do anything to help me but gave me a fax number to send a written account of my situation….which I did. I’ve sent emails and tried calling again (can’t get through) and even sent another fax explaining that I cannot travel with my birth certificate and photo ID since I was not born in Canada. No one has called, faxed or emailed me because no one gives a crap about me and the negative effects on my business when I tell my potential clients that I cannot make the meeting as scheduled. I’ve worked on these potentials for months and months and that money and time is also down the drain because of their travel plans.

So, one thing that can be done is LOOK AT THE DAMNED TRAVEL DATE on the application; why the hell is it on there if no one is going to look at it? If you tell me that they do look at it then I’ll know that they really don’t give a damn. If there is a problem with getting the passport to the applicant by the travel date…USE THE &*(#@^% CONTACT INFORMATION ON THE APPLICATION TO CONTACT THE APPLICANT.....some people may be able to change their travel date….SOME CANNOT. It’s not rocket science.

I used to sing the praises of the Canadian Government for efficiency when compared to the US Government but now…..well, there’s egg all over my face.

That's good, because that was an issue for a lot of people.

I disagree. Who doesn't know a professional? At least that means you have an established Canadian vouching for your credibility.

Now you can have a Canadian that's been here two weeks (or how about someone born in Canada, left a month later and has never returned).

The Khadrs could be signing passports.

Not a good idea at all. If we're all about scrapping all the security of the document, let's just keep them valid forever and be done with it.

Once you have one, I agree you shouldn't need a professional guarantor the second time around. But the first time? For sure.

Lots of people actually, especially when your doctor won't sign passports (ours won't), I have a dentist who signed mine, hubby doesn't, we had to go to a J.P. and pay. Our MPP and MP didn't know us personally and neither does our pharmacist.

You make a fair point about 'Khadrs signing passports' so maybe they should include other professionals, like a nurse, but we had a real problem with signatures.

I'd like to see the passport life extended to maybe 7 years, it would help.

Actually I found the passport offices themselves very efficient, the problem is simply an overload of people because of changes, it would have happened (and was happening) under any gov't.

This looks promising, although I disagree with not having to show proof of citizenship - will they check that during the process?

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix...24-f5dea55f7d3f

he government announced a series of measures on Friday to simplify the passport application process and to cut down on the backlog that has been mounting since new travel rules were introduced by the United States in January.

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay said Canadians will be able to renew their passports without having to show proof of citizenship or getting a guarantor to sign the application.

"This will very much expediate the process," MacKay told reporters at a news conference.

Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly

Ottawa is also changing the rules on who can act as a guarantor for passport applications. The new policy will allow most Canadian adult passport holders to act as guarantors for first-time applicants.

To help reduce waiting times for passports, MacKay said the government is launching a recruitment campaign to fill new full-time positions, extending office hours, opening 65 new receiving agents, and expanding office space for existing passport offices, adding night shifts at some locations, and introducing more modern technology at some offices.

The government also plans on holding passport clinics across the country where the public can ask questions and hand in their applications.

Even an incompetent government eventually responds to pressure.

Ironically, the long line-ups at the Vancouver Office which had been there for half a year, finally disappeared

just before the Conservatives made these announcements.

From what I understand its not legal for a Professional to charge money for signing off on a passport.

Everyone knows a professional, this is a dumb move by the government. It opens the process up to abuse.

Your right they can't, but you can go to a J.P. if you don't know a professional. Don't forget, this professional has to know you personally for two years. We've been doing business with the same pharmacy for 6 years, but the pharmacist didn't know us 'personally' so wouldn't sign, same with others.

Everyone knows a professional, this is a dumb move by the government. It opens the process up to abuse.

The problem which the Conservatives were attempting to solve was the line-ups and the long processing time, not finding a guarantor. But I suppose getting rid of the professional guarantor has good optics even though it did nothing to solve the problem.

Lots of people actually, especially when your doctor won't sign passports (ours won't), I have a dentist who signed mine, hubby doesn't, we had to go to a J.P. and pay. Our MPP and MP didn't know us personally and neither does our pharmacist.

No accountant or engineer friends? No priest? No lawyer?

I admit it's possible, but it's unusual. I think the added security is worth the small cost/time to a few individuals.

You make a fair point about 'Khadrs signing passports' so maybe they should include other professionals, like a nurse, but we had a real problem with signatures.

Nurses, teachers, paramedics, firefighters, military officers, ect. ect.. All good ideas.

I'd like to see the passport life extended to maybe 7 years, it would help.

I think that there should be no guarntor required on a renewal. Ideally, a passport would last forever in my opinion. Nothing really changes, other than a photo (you could get a new document, but without the lengthy process). It's a government job manufacturing program.

This looks promising, although I disagree with not having to show proof of citizenship - will they check that during the process?

Probably spot checks, like with everything else. None of my references were called for example. How hard is it to bring your birth certificate? I can tell you that's not the bottleneck in the system.

Your right they can't, but you can go to a J.P. if you don't know a professional.

Notary public, not a JP. Either way, your right. What does that cost someone these days?

Probably spot checks, like with everything else. None of my references were called for example. How hard is it to bring your birth certificate? I can tell you that's not the bottleneck in the system.

I don't think they call references.

I believe they just call the professional society to see if the reference is good standing.

Two passports ago I renewed mine in Halifax visiting a doctor buddy who had just finished his residency and was taking a few months off before starting his practice.

The Medical society called and gave him shit for signing. But I got my passport with no holdup.

I don't think they call references.

I believe they just call the professional society to see if the reference is good standing.

I'm not talking about the guarntor, I'm talking about the personal references. I've been called a few times. I can't guarntor yet, but friends of mine have been called by Passport Canada as well.

So, how does one go about recouping losses caused by Passport Canada? I'm still without a passport and, obviously, won't make my meeting tomorrow. After much discussion with my potential clients, I was given the ultimatum.....the meeting can take place no later than Monday. I can't get in touch with Passport Canada (I have no more time to sit at a desk continually dialing that number...time is money and I can't have them helping me to lose any more). With what is going on I know I can kiss that revenue goodbye and we're not talking pocket change either....it is well worth the 9 hour drive.

So, how does one go about recouping losses caused by Passport Canada? I'm still without a passport and, obviously, won't make my meeting tomorrow. After much discussion with my potential clients, I was given the ultimatum.....the meeting can take place no later than Monday. I can't get in touch with Passport Canada (I have no more time to sit at a desk continually dialing that number...time is money and I can't have them helping me to lose any more). With what is going on I know I can kiss that revenue goodbye and we're not talking pocket change either....it is well worth the 9 hour drive.

You can still drive to the States without a passport.

And it's not like you didn't have well over a year to figure it out.

Notary public, not a JP. Either way, your right. What does that cost someone these days?

Your right, I did mean a NP...don't remember what it costs, I think around $35.00

No engineering friends, used to know a lot when I worked, do know an accountant but he is a 3 - 4 hour drive away, I suppose we could have mailed them to him. No priest or any religious people and no lawyer (not who knows us personally for two years) We know some teachers and nurses but they can't sign. I do know my current MP, but at that time it was a different one, I actually went right to their office after our family doctor refused to sign, but he couldn't help me... Hubby has since been to an opthamologist and will be going again, so next time he may have someone. They were all sticklers for the 'knowing you personally for two years or more' filling prescriptions at a drug store doesn't count, they don't know you personally.

I don't agree with a lifetime passport, too many life changes, but it should be more than 5 for sure.

cheers

Vancouver Sun

From an Editorial Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2007

"The federal government has taken a welcome step towards cleaning up the mess at passport offices, but for the thousands of Canadians who spent hours standing in Soviet-style line-ups, the measures, sensible though they are, have come too late.

The Conservative government also failed to adopt the simple measure that would have reduced by half the workload of Passport Canada and added five years to the dreaded day when the Canadians who endured those lines would have to go back again.

More than a year has passed since Public Security Minister Stockwell Day first announced the government was considering moving to a 10-year passport and taking other measures to deal with the bulge in applications it knew was coming as a result of the new U.S. border requirements. Months passed, the line-ups grew and nothing, other than feeble excuses, came forth from the government."

The Federal Government spent more than a year "considering" how to deal with the new U.S. requirements?

They finally announced solutions after the line-ups in Vancouver disappeared. How will the Harper incompetents deal with a natural disaster or terrorist attack which they're not warned about more than a year in advance?

You can still drive to the States without a passport.

And it's not like you didn't have well over a year to figure it out.

Do you think you could do some reading (my original post) before posting a sarcastic comment? First, I was not born in Canada so cannot prove my Canadian citizenship with my birth certificate....sooooo, cannot travel using my birth certificate and photo ID in lieu of a passport. AND, I also stated that I travel a lot for my job (with my passport) and was doing just that back in February of this year so I needed my passport. I thought sending my application in March would give Passport Canada enough time to get my passport to me by June 8 which is the original date I was supposed to meet with my potential clients....that would have given them 11 weeks and I was told it would take 10 for processing......it's been 12 weeks now and still no passport. I even sent the application in via UPS Express overnight at a cost of $32 and change....another waste of my money.

And why would I apply for a passport a year or more before my current passport expired? Do you really think that well over a year ago I should have figured out that Passport Canada would not be able to deliver my passport to me in a timely manner? The US requirement had been going back and forth for 2 or 3 years and Passport Canada could not figure out that they would actually stick with January 2007 so how the hell was I supposed to figure it out? As sated before, stupid me had more faith in the Canadian bureaucracy than they obviously deserve. The yolks on me!!!