Reasonable Accomodation

I find it intriguing that in a society such as Canada's we have one province that's fighting an issue of reasonable accomodation and from what I gather it's acceptable (Quebec). But if a province like Alberta or Manitoba tried to pull that off we'd be torn to shreds by the media and PC people. Why the double standard in Canada?

I find it intriguing that in a society such as Canada's we have one province that's fighting an issue of reasonable accomodation and from what I gather it's acceptable (Quebec). But if a province like Alberta or Manitoba tried to pull that off we'd be torn to shreds by the media and PC people. Why the double standard in Canada?

Gracious me oh my!!! You ninny!!

It is because it is Quebec!!

Only employed, tax paying, white anglophones can be racist. Everyone else is either tolerant to the extreme, or has an acceptable "cultural reason" for acting the way they do.

Cultural reasons allow everything from honour killing to making the English language illegal. Supported by media, governments and courts - oh, and lets not forget the various unbiased Human Rights Commissions.

Surely you knew that?

Borg

Wrong. Its because the British made a deal and Quebecers are holding them to it. If you don't like it then I suggest you petition the government to renegotiate "the deal". But don't be surprised if they end up getting more concessions during the process because they, like aboriginals will not negotiate themselves to a loss when they hold the upper hand.

Wrong. Its because the British made a deal and Quebecers are holding them to it. If you don't like it then I suggest you petition the government to renegotiate "the deal". But don't be surprised if they end up getting more concessions during the process because they, like aboriginals will not negotiate themselves to a loss when they hold the upper hand.

Now there is an analysis! Nicely done.

Actually it is correct.

Deal or not, it is acceptable to be a Kebeker and a racist. It is approved by the media, the people of Kebec, the government of Kebek and certainly by the courts of Kebek.

A white anglophone anywhere else in Canada is raked over the coals.

A white franko can say and do anything and get away with it.

Did I hurt your sensibilites or are you simply blind to the truth?

Kebek is and always has been this way - hence any cultural excuse works.

Have a nice day - and when you folks decide to leave, please be sure to close the door behind you and turn out the lights.

Borg

So the "rule of law" means nothing to you. Are you an anarchist?

If our grandparents made bad deals, then all we can do is ask to renegotiate them. Using white racism as an excuse to counter a bad deal is poorly thought out. It leaves us with a "you are a racist" taste in our mouths. Try presenting a legal or moral argument why we should try to get Quebecers to sally up to the Anglo way of doing things. My bet is there isn't one and you are only using racial inequality as an excuse to exercise your true bias.

So the "rule of law" means nothing to you. Are you an anarchist?

If our grandparents made bad deals, then all we can do is ask to renegotiate them. Using white racism as an excuse to counter a bad deal is poorly thought out. It leaves us with a "you are a racist" taste in our mouths. Try presenting a legal or moral argument why we should try to get Quebecers to sally up to the Anglo way of doing things. My bet is there isn't one and you are only using racial inequality as an excuse to exercise your true bias.

Your analysis is absolutely correct on all levels, IMV. As with the case with FN's, Quebec has historical legal signed agreements with former government bodies of Canada. Agreements that nowadays, some later immigrants to Canada do not like and would like to be broken as being non-pertinent to them it appears.

When Harper said he woudn't negotiate with a non-federalist government in Quebec and Boisclair accused him of incorrectly getting involved in the Quebec election, a cartoonist for the Journal de Montreal drew Harper, dressed in a burqa, trying to sneak into a Quebec polling station.

----

I don't think the reaction to this issue is any different in Quebec than anywhere else in Canada. Quebecers have a strong sense of who they are but other parts of Canada do too.

Isn't "reasonable accomodation" about immigrants to Quebec?

I might be confusing it with the issue of no-veil policy to vote, and the fact that a group of Quebecers were incensed when a group of Muslims in a restaurant that had live entertainment had managed to get the manager to stop the entertainment for about 10 minutes, so they could all kneel down right there in the establishment and pray. I thought it's about Quebecers fighting to preserve their culture.

When Harper said he woudn't negotiate with a non-federalist government in Quebec and Boisclair accused him of incorrectly getting involved in the Quebec election, a cartoonist for the Journal de Montreal drew Harper, dressed in a burqa, trying to sneak into a Quebec polling station.

----

I don't think the reaction to this issue is any different in Quebec than anywhere else in Canada. Quebecers have a strong sense of who they are but other parts of Canada do too.

A strong sense .......

I would agree with that statement - unfortunately they use a method of racism (disguised as culture) to segregate the two laguages and thus the perople - and then they use law to enforce it.

If it were to happen anywhere else there would be hell to pay.

What is good for the goose is definitely NOT good for the gander.

In all honesty I would like to see another province do this - but then again it might rip Canada apart - hmmm ... perhaps life would improve with a few billion extra for those in the "real" Canada instead of going to kebec. ;->

Borg