Liberal MP Expelled

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Divisions over the federal budget have claimed their first casualty. Former cabinet minister Joe Comuzzi has been expelled from the Liberal caucus for supporting the Conservative fiscal plan.

Liberal Leader Stephane Dion said Wednesday that parliamentary tradition requires MPs to toe the party line on important confidence votes such as the budget.

"He's not any more part of the caucus,'' Dion said after a caucus meeting.

This is Comuzzi's last election. He isn't going to be running again.

Dion is right though. As a matter of confidence on a budget, you can can't have a free vote.

Hmmmm, unless we expect an MP to vote his conscience and for his constituents. So where are all the screams about MPs being muzzled :D

Where is he being muzzled? He is free to vote as he wishes. He just can't stay in the party as a result.

And people get mad at the tories for keeping a tight leash on their MPs, this whole gov't the Liberals have been more "tyrannical" on their MPs than the tories. At least the tories had a reason for muzzling their MPs (to win an election)

It doesn't look good for the Liberals if they are divided on an issue and make a big stink like that about it. On the Gay marriage, tory MPs voted against. On the wheat board, Inky Mark voted against. The difference is that the tories let it go and minimized the damage done.

And people get mad at the tories for keeping a tight leash on their MPs, this whole gov't the Liberals have been more "tyrannical" on their MPs than the tories. At least the tories had a reason for muzzling their MPs (to win an election)

It doesn't look good for the Liberals if they are divided on an issue and make a big stink like that about it. On the Gay marriage, tory MPs voted against. On the wheat board, Inky Mark voted against. The difference is that the tories let it go and minimized the damage done.

Actually, if Strahl does try to dismantle the Board and Mark votes against that move as per what people in his riding wants, he will be turfed for sure.

As far as I'm concerned though, the leader of the party has to trust his people on issues of critical importance. Party solidarity is what keeps you in power or gets you tossed from power.

Just ask Jim Walding and the NDP in Manitoba about that.

Dion also had set a precedent of being different from Martin. That's probably the biggest reason for this expulsion.

He just squeeked past the NDP in the last election. Is there someone else nominated to run in the riding? Is this riding up for grabs?

The riding has bounced back and forth between Liberals and NDP over the years. There is no Liberal presently nominated there.

He just squeeked past the NDP in the last election. Is there someone else nominated to run in the riding? Is this riding up for grabs?

The riding has bounced back and forth between Liberals and NDP over the years. There is no Liberal presently nominated there.

This is probably a safe Liberal riding, if I were Dion I wouldn't fret too much. This riding doesn't scream tory blue. I don't think the whole tory idea flies out here.

This is probably a safe Liberal riding, if I were Dion I wouldn't fret too much. This riding doesn't scream tory blue. I don't think the whole tory idea flies out here.

I think the riding has been calved off a few times. The area Comuzzi is in has been fairly solidly Liberal. The NDP is strong in some parts of it and were it not for the man, may have won last election.

Hmmmm, unless we expect an MP to vote his conscience and for his constituents. So where are all the screams about MPs being muzzled :D

I agree. "Vote the party line or take a hike" doesn't sit well with me. As the sole political representative of any given region, it's an MP's' "Duty" to carry out the will of the constituency regardless of sandbox politics or party loyalties.

I agree. "Vote the party line or take a hike" doesn't sit well with me. As the sole political representative of any given region, it's an MP's' "Duty" to carry out the will of the constituency regardless of sandbox politics or party loyalties.

I see no reason for an opposition party to crack the whip on a budget vote.

Dion was right to boot him. Party discipline is key to such votes. It would have looked worse upon Dion's leadership if Commuzi stood with the Conservatives during the vote.

Commuzi also is going to end up voting for his conscience, so great, all objectives acheived.

I'd be interested in seeing if any Quebec MP's do the same coming up. I mean, Charest is giving them all a tax cut from Alberta and Ontario, who wouldn't take it? Any Quebec Liberal that stands against this budget is going to be in serious trouble come election time (well, minus the obvious Liberal ridings in Quebec).

Dion was right to boot him. Party discipline is key to such votes. It would have looked worse upon Dion's leadership if Commuzi stood with the Conservatives during the vote.

Commuzi also is going to end up voting for his conscience, so great, all objectives acheived.

I'd be interested in seeing if any Quebec MP's do the same coming up. I mean, Charest is giving them all a tax cut from Alberta and Ontario, who wouldn't take it? Any Quebec Liberal that stands against this budget is going to be in serious trouble come election time (well, minus the obvious Liberal ridings in Quebec).

So I guess this also helps Harper's master plan, now we wait for the majority...

I sympathize with Dion, I'm sure as leader he want's to seem strong instead of weak when it comes to dissent. It's not that big of a deal, however at the same time it's hypocritical to attack the government for being authoritarian, even while the opposition uses the same tactics.

The role is to respect the will of the constituency. Maintain party Loyalty when requested. Do what you analyse to be in the best interest of the community regardless of the "will of the constituency or party loyalty.

Not all MPs follow the party line. Those that do not can be turfed. That is the risk they take.

Not all MPs do the will of the people and are not re elected. That is the risk they take.

Not all MPs act in the best interest of the community. I think they must bet the ones getting re elected :)

I see no reason for an opposition party to crack the whip on a budget vote.

It has been the practice of the opposition conservatives.

Where is he being muzzled? He is free to vote as he wishes. He just can't stay in the party as a result.

LOL! :D

I sympathize with Dion, I'm sure as leader he want's to seem strong instead of weak when it comes to dissent. It's not that big of a deal, however at the same time it's hypocritical to attack the government for being authoritarian, even while the opposition uses the same tactics.

Everyone knows that the only reason Dion is opposing this budget is because he CAN. He was making wishy-washy mouth noises up until the BQ confirmed they were going to support it. Then, suddenly, he straightens his shoulders and starts attacking the budget and proclaiming how his party won't support it! Such a big, tough, brave, stern man! :D

If the BQ hadn't supported this budget, Dion would have.

If the BQ hadn't supported this budget, Dion would have.

Too bad the BQ didn't keep quiet about siding with the conservatives until AFTER Dion had his statements.It might have sounded different from Dion if he didn't know. Not wanting an election, he actually might have said he would hold his nose and support the budget.Same with Layton.