Liberal MP Expelled

Too bad the BQ didn't keep quiet about siding with the conservatives until AFTER Dion had his statements.It might have sounded different from Dion if he didn't know. Not wanting an election, he actually might have said he would hold his nose and support the budget.Same with Layton.

That would have been the key. All the opposition leaders hold out until one says they can support the budget

With the QC election coming on Monday Duceppe had to be the first one to support it and eveybody knew that. The Bloc voting against the budget would kill the PQs chances.

Conservative votes on budget issues were always whipped when they were in Opposition.

Facts, evidence, supporting information? Buehler? Anyone?

Hmmmm, unless we expect an MP to vote his conscience and for his constituents. So where are all the screams about MPs being muzzled :D

Where is he being muzzled? He is free to vote as he wishes. He just can't stay in the party as a result.

That's not 'muzzling' him LOL seems like its okay if Dion/Liberals do it but only bad when conservatives do it.

That's not 'muzzling' him LOL seems like its okay if Dion/Liberals do it but only bad when conservatives do it.

I've never said it was bad if any leader decides to expel a member over vote solidarity on a budget bill. Generally on matters of a finance, I'd expect that every party in the Commons has a whipped vote in place.

When it comes to controversial social issues, I think a leader has to be more flexible. You force party solidarity on the death penalty and you run into problems.

Comuzzi is free to vote for the budget. He was told the vote was whipped and a as a party member, he should have accepted that, absented himself, resigned the party or face eviction from the party.

If the BQ hadn't supported this budget, Dion would have.

Too bad the BQ didn't keep quiet about siding with the conservatives until AFTER Dion had his statements.It might have sounded different from Dion if he didn't know. Not wanting an election, he actually might have said he would hold his nose and support the budget.Same with Layton.

It is too bad the BQ didn't keep quiet. The Liberals may have supported the budget. The battlefield is being drawn in Quebec. The CPC are feeding the Province. The BQ or the Libs could be criticised for supporting or opposing the budget in Quebec.

As For Layton and the NDP. There is no benefit to NDP supporters and mainstream voters across this country whom don't live in Quebec. The regions where the NDP can get votes are British Columbia, Sask, Manitoba and Ontario. There isn't alot there for anyone. I don't know for a fact, but I don't believe there would have been NDP support for this budget under any circumstances.

Therefore the Libs/BQ had to determine who was going to support the government.

"Just gimme the money" won the day.

I'll be interested to see how many Liberal Quebec MP's suddenly come down with the flu.

Unfortunately when an MP is sick, they are paired off... good ol' parliamentary tradition. Being sick doesn't really say anything.

But not standing like Cotler did on the terrorism provisions would.

Comuzzi is free to vote for the budget. He was told the vote was whipped and a as a party member, he should have accepted that, absented himself, resigned the party or face eviction from the party.

Problem is he was representing his constituency, a conundrum for a politician I suppose.

representing the city of Thunder Bay, Ontario as a Liberal since 1988, was expelled from his caucus after he said he would vote in favour of the Conservative budget tabled Monday. His leader, Stephane Dion, says budget votes, like Throne Speech votes, are confidence votes and, as a result, the caucus must vote as a group.

This morning, Comuzzi released this statement:

I just want to be sure that the people are clear on my position on the budget. I have had the opportunity to represent my constituents for the past 18 years and over that time we have arrived at a point where our region is in a state of serious transition. This budget contains funds and addresses some of the critical issues we face today. For example the Molecular Medicine Research initiative is essential to this transition. The municipal government, the provincial government and private sector partners are all at the table with committed money, yet the Liberal Party expects me to be critical of a budget that can complete the funding formulae that would launch a facility that has huge economic and employment implications.

I have no desire to go against the Liberal Party however this is the right thing for the people of my riding. They are who have entrusted me to represent them for the last 18 years.

I watched Mike Duffy this evening...Joe Comuzzo was on. Mike asked Joe what he thought of the way that Dion handled his expulsion. Joe said that he's seen many leaders come and go over the years and after a bit of a delay he said: "the nicest way I can put it is - He could have been more diplomatic".

Problem is he was representing his constituency, a conundrum for a politician I suppose.

We'll see if the Tories let ones of their namely Inky Mark vote against losing the Wheat Board.

My thinking is that they have every right to do what they want with him despite representing his riding.

A whipped vote is a whipped vote.