O'Connor sorry for misinforming House

O'Connor sorry for misinforming House on Afghan detainees

Last Updated: Monday, March 19, 2007 | 1:26 PM ET

CBC News

Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor has apologized for telling the House of Commons that the Red Cross would share information with Ottawa about alleged abuses of detainees after Canadian troops handed them over to Afghan authorities.

O'Connor told MPs on Monday that his earlier comment was inaccurate, adding that he regretted any confusion that may have resulted.

"The answers I gave were given in good faith," he said, "and I take full responsibility and do so without hesitation."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/03/19/afghanaplogy.html

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. I just thought it was a rare breath of fresh air from our elected representatives.

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. I just thought it was a rare breath of fresh air from our elected representatives.

Now, let's see if he does something about it.

It wasn't a good week for O'Connor last week in Afghanistan. This is an issue that won't go away and he'll be judged by how well he deals with it.

O'Connor's apology means nothing, it was not refreshing, he is trying to squirm/slither away from his lying in the House of Commons to other MP, and to Canadians and breaking a signed agreement, plus the Geneva convention? Plus who knows what else?

If this was the Liberal government MP who did this, the apologists here who are praising this bogus action would be screaming blue murder.

And what about Afghans that have been mistreated, as his lies are not just hurting Candian military personel, if in fact they are at all?

Now, let's see if he does something about it.

It wasn't a good week for O'Connor last week in Afghanistan. This is an issue that won't go away and he'll be judged by how well he deals with it.

Do you actually think anyone cares beyond the CBC and the group of Harper haters here? Do you really think there are soccer moms and hockey fathers out there deeply worried about what happens to the Afghan's we take as prisoners and turn over to their own government?

If this was the Liberal government MP who did this, the apologists here who are praising this bogus action would be screaming blue murder.

I think this is a positive move from a government which has been stereotyped as strident and unrepentant in the mold of the Bush administration. To label me an "apologist" for suggesting so (especially if you've read any of my posts) is quite absurd.

Good for apologising for his mistakes, I can't fault him for that. In a non-partisan way, it's definitely an amazing step for a politican to even admit they are wrong, let alone ask for forgiveness.

I agree. I think when someone gets up and makes a proper apology and takes responsibility for their mistake we should be adult enough, and mature enough to accept their apology and move on.

Good for apologising for his mistakes, I can't fault him for that. In a non-partisan way, it's definitely an amazing step for a politican to even admit they are wrong, let alone ask for forgiveness.

I agree. I think when someone gets up and makes a proper apology and takes responsibility for their mistake we should be adult enough, and mature enough to accept their apology and move on.

OK, isn't it against International law to torture prisoners? So, if Canada knows this is going on, then that puts us in a very bad spotlight in the world like the US. Also, couldn't Harper and O'connor be charged with war crimes??

Do you actually think anyone cares beyond the CBC and the group of Harper haters here? Do you really think there are soccer moms and hockey fathers out there deeply worried about what happens to the Afghan's we take as prisoners and turn over to their own government?

Yes.

OK, isn't it against International law to torture prisoners? So, if Canada knows this is going on, then that puts us in a very bad spotlight in the world like the US. Also, couldn't Harper and O'connor be charged with war crimes??

Only in you dreams.

O'Connor's apology may have a lot to do with his background which I recognize from my old profession. A person who could not admit to making a mistake forfeited some of the trust and respect his piers held for him. A concept that is largely lost in partisan politics.

Well, the guy who started this all off, a University of Ottawa lawyer named Amir Attaran, has popped his head up again. He was the fellow who "uncovered" the three Afghans who appeared to have been mistreated while in Canadian hands but they could no longer find them. At the time, he claimed that he had no political axe to grind and in fact, there was no proof that anything wrong had happened. In an article from Tuesday's Toronto Star - that bastion of objectivity - here's what he had to say:

University of Ottawa lawyer Amir Attaran, who first raised questions about the treatment of detainees handed over by Canadian soldiers, said both O'Connor and Hillier should resign – O'Connor for misleading the House and Hillier for having signed the detainee agreement without monitoring ability.

Now....does that sound like someone who wants to be seen as politically neutral?

Link: http://www.thestar.com/News/article/193830

First lesson of the afternoon - international criminal law is a sad joke and doesn't really exist. It's a nice show for people to feel good hanging the bad guy at the end of a war, but there is no international police to enforce it per say. Law is nothing if it can't be enforced. No Canadian would ever be compelled to stand trial IMO.

Second lesson of the afternoon - the Liberals setup a much more lenient prisoner agreement before the Conservatives strengthed the controls, so Chretien, Martin, Graham, Eggleton, McCallum and Pratt would all be standing next to them in that trial. That said, there is no evidence (nor any reasonable suggestion) that Canadian supports a policy of interrogations beyond commonly excepted practices.

Mr. Ignatieff has some very interesting views on how Canada should step up it's use of coercive interrogations if you want the Liberal view of how things should go. His book The Lesser Evil (great book) outlines some not-quite-torture concepts that would be applicable in fighting against terrorism in Afghanistan or elsewhere in the world.

Yes.

Actually I would have to say a resounding NO jdob. Sorry, but most folks I have talked too don't even know we are in Afghanistan, let along care about Canadian troops or Afghan prisoners.

I do not think average people, soccer moms or hockey dads care about Tony Taliban. It is not on there list of concerns. We catch them, we hand them over, those are the rules. In WW2 we caught French or Dutch colaborator we handed them over. It's up to the Afghan Gov't to handle them. We cannot impose our will on the Gov't, we are there to help them, not scold them about how to run a country. We can however, make suggestions as to what they should do, but ultimatley it is up to the Afghan Gov't. remember here, they are still learning too.

Actually I would have to say a resounding NO jdob. Sorry, but most folks I have talked too don't even know we are in Afghanistan, let along care about Canadian troops or Afghan prisoners.

I do not think average people, soccer moms or hockey dads care about Tony Taliban. It is not on there list of concerns. We catch them, we hand them over, those are the rules. In WW2 we caught French or Dutch colaborator we handed them over. It's up to the Afghan Gov't to handle them. We cannot impose our will on the Gov't, we are there to help them, not scold them about how to run a country. We can however, make suggestions as to what they should do, but ultimatley it is up to the Afghan Gov't. remember here, they are still learning too.

The U.S. military thought that no one cared how the U.S. treated prisoners. They were wrong about the feeling back home.

The Canadian military does great work apprehending suspected Taliban. O'Connor rightfully said that Canada had to know where the suspects were being kept and what their treatment was. One of the main reasons for this is because it is important to know where people who represent potential hard to Canadian soldiers are at all times.

O'Connor was incorrect on his knowledge of where prisoners were and how they are being treated. Unlike other NATO nations, he doesn't seem have any system in place to check.

The U.S. military thought that no one cared how the U.S. treated prisoners. They were wrong about the feeling back home.

The Canadian military does great work apprehending suspected Taliban. O'Connor rightfully said that Canada had to know where the suspects were being kept and what their treatment was. One of the main reasons for this is because it is important to know where people who represent potential hard to Canadian soldiers are at all times.

O'Connor was incorrect on his knowledge of where prisoners were and how they are being treated. Unlike other NATO nations, he doesn't seem have any system in place to check.

I do not think the average American cared until they did stupid things as in Abu Grav (not sure how to spell it) prison.

I think we over estimate how much people really care. The average Johnny six pack out there does not even know we are in Afghanistan. There are people here in North Bay that don't even know there's a base here.

That's what truley scares me.

We do treat prisoners well, much better that they would treat one of ours. The good thing here is a deficency was discovered and corrected.

Nice to hear form you again jdob....

I do not think the average American cared until they did stupid things as in Abu Grav (not sure how to spell it) prison.

I think we over estimate how much people really care. The average Johnny six pack out there does not even know we are in Afghanistan. There are people here in North Bay that don't even know there's a base here.

We do treat prisoners well, much better that they would treat one of ours. The good thing here is a deficency was discovered and corrected.

There is a lot of ignorance about the Canadian military out there. Fortunately, there is also a lot pride in what they do.

I don't know that O'Connor has corrected the problem yet. He will be judged on how well he handles the situation now that he has seen it first hand.

Hope you are doing well, W.

There is a lot of ignorance about the Canadian military out there. Fortunately, there is also a lot pride in what they do.

I don't know that O'Connor has corrected the problem yet. He will be judged on how well he handles the situation now that he has seen it first hand.

Hope you are doing well, W.

Doing very well thanks.. Been away doing some training, leaving next month. Looking forward to it.

There is A LOT of ignorance about the CF and Afghanistan. My whole point is, I do not think as many people watch the news as we all think. I could be wrong, but for what I have seen and heard, I does apear to be the case.....