The myths of Caledonia

40 minutes ago, Argus said:

There is no indigenous legal tradition. The indigenous people are not a homogeneous group. They had a freaking wide variety of beliefs and traditions.

What matters now is Canadian law, not native law.

Canada has Indigenous law. 

Aboriginal Title.

Aboriginal Rights.

Treaty Rights. 

The Honour of the Queen, and thus  the Queen's treaties, must be upheld

by law enforcement and the military and the Justice system.

Those are Section 35 Constitutional rights. 

Every police officer and soldier every time.

Edited by jacee

It’s extremely dangerous to have double standards for different groups.  It leads to injustices such as sending Indigenous murderers to healing lodges to serve their sentences instead of prisons.  It perpetuates the lie that one or more ethnicities deserves special treatment or should be given greater privilege and authority.  Yes we have treaties that deserve protection, but these are grandfathered anachronisms.  We should no longer be creating reserves or giving away land unless it can be clearly proven that a particular group always had it exclusively.  That would be highly exceptional.  Move on from the search for freebies.  They are welfare, nothing more.  Aspire for self-determination and self-generated wealth.  

7 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s extremely dangerous to have double standards for different groups.  It leads to injustices such as sending Indigenous murderers to healing lodges to serve their sentences instead of prisons.  It perpetuates the lie that one or more ethnicities deserves special treatment or should be given greater privilege and authority.  Yes we have treaties that deserve protection, but these are grandfathered anachronisms.  We should no longer be creating reserves or giving away land unless it can be clearly proven that a particular group always had it exclusively.  That would be highly exceptional.  Move on from the search for freebies.  They are welfare, nothing more.  Aspire for self-determination and self-generated wealth.  

We have Indigenous Law, French Civil Code, British Common Law. We also have some different laws in each province. Your desire for sameness and simplicity is not reasonable, not reality.

You've mentioned one criterion that the courts apply. There are many. Law is complex.That's why we leave it to the courts to apply.

Your opinion may not be consistent with the law. That's just the way it is and will be. 

Love it or leave it! 

Edited by jacee

3 hours ago, jacee said:

We have Indigenous Law, French Civil Code, British Common Law. We also have some different laws in each province. Your desire for sameness and simplicity is not reasonable, not reality.

You've mentioned one criterion that the courts apply. There are many. Law is complex.That's why we leave it to the courts to apply.

Your opinion may not be consistent with the law. That's just the way it is and will be. 

Love it or leave it! 

Wouldn't it be much easier to just appoint  judges and have them rule over us instead of having a government that can rule?

If everything is decided by judges why not mostly dissolve government or have government powers greatly reduced so that government cannot make new laws etc?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacee said:

Love it or leave it! 

Not really.  We rejected Sharia law in the provinces.  There is no ethnic inequality permitted, but there is cultural assymetry that enshrines Canadian values.  Code Civil is basically Common Law with French accoutrements.  The Supreme Court is the final court of appeal throughout the land.  Band Councils can play the role of a municipal government.  Nunavut has unique territorial government not unlike a provincial government, though it resembles a big city council. Federal law is still federal law.  Criminal law is still criminal law, which falls under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Parliament of Canada. There are no exceptions to it on reserves or anywhere else in Canada.  First Nations are nations within Canada.  Quebec is a nation within Canada.  Under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms no ethnic group has special privileges; however, there are cultural protections for the cultures of the founding peoples with respect to language and religious education (French and English languages, Catholic and Protestant education), freedom of religion for all, as well as for First Nations peoples:

Generic rights are held by all Aboriginal peoples across Canada, and include:
  • Rights to the land (Aboriginal title)
  • Rights to subsistence resources and activities.
  • The right to self-determination and self-government.
  • The right to practice one's own culture and customs including language and religion.

6 minutes ago, Donnie said:

Wouldn't it be much easier to just appoint  judges and have them rule over us instead of having a government that can rule?

If everything is decided by judges why not mostly dissolve government or have government powers greatly reduced so that government cannot make new laws etc?

Right, so fascism.  We’re a democracy.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Right, so fascism.  We’re a democracy.  

If the left is going to run to the courts to cry constantly and have laws overturned.  Why dont they just do away with government or reduce the governmental powers?

I agree the leftists are quite fascist some of the time.  Having government enforce laws at the end of a gun is fascism.  THE LEFT IS GUILTY OF THIS OFTEN.

32 minutes ago, Donnie said:

If the left is going to run to the courts to cry constantly and have laws overturned.  Why dont they just do away with government or reduce the governmental powers?

I agree the leftists are quite fascist some of the time.  Having government enforce laws at the end of a gun is fascism.  THE LEFT IS GUILTY OF THIS OFTEN.

I would argue that the problem with the left is that it doesn’t know how to prioritize.  Liberal government (small L liberal) increasingly means saying yes to every special interest to the extent that important work such as raising employment levels and living standards for the poor gets completely overshadowed.  We’re basically all at the mercy of the whiny student radical who has never held down a real job.  We’re accepting too much at the extremes and losing the middle. I’m a centrist and not especially conservative or liberal by nature, but I find the Federal Liberals dysfunctional.  They can’t support the resource sector and now the eco warriors and special interests are taking down the party.  It’s sad because the LPC has done good work for the country at times in the past.  Trudeau cared too much about the wrong things and was naive to the downsides of the radical forces he tried to include.  My aunt used to say as a teacher you barely crack a smile in those early months of the school year, establish the rules, and then slowly let up when you have control.  Trudeau did the opposite, storming in with sunny ways and promises.  Now that he has realized he has to tighten the reins, he is becoming the hated ogre.  With Trump we knew what we were getting from the get go, so we’re not especially disappointed.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

....  With Trump we knew what we were getting from the get go, so we’re not especially disappointed.  

Not really relevant to Canada....and Trump was elected to do exactly what he is doing.

Fortunately, Trudeau is not my problem...and never will be.

28 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Not really relevant to Canada....and Trump was elected to do exactly what he is doing.

Fortunately, Trudeau is not my problem...and never will be.

Very relevant to Canada.  The guy caused shit with steel and aluminum tariffs and bullied Canada into a bad trade deal.  We will never forget.  Americans picked him, barely, and should have known what they were getting, since he was blunt.  Some knew Trudeau was naive and over-promising.  Trudeau is very much part of the liberalism internationally and is internationally known.  He has influenced some Americans, because we watched the bios on 60 Minutes or John Oliver or Bill Maher.  Whether you think it’s for better or worse depends on your ideology.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

5 hours ago, Donnie said:

You have much to learn.

13 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Very relevant to Canada.  The guy caused shit with steel and aluminum tariffs and bullied Canada into a bad trade deal.  We will never forget.  Americans picked him, barely, and should have known what they were getting, since he was blunt.  Some knew Trudeau was naive and over-promising.  Trudeau is very much part of the liberalism internationally and is internationally known.  He has influenced some Americans, because we watched the bios on 60 Minutes or John Oliver or Bill Maher.  Whether you think it’s for better or worse depends on your ideology.  

Again, Trudeau is a lesser god with zero impact on my life.   I am not impacted by any party or leader with a ruling government in Canada, or any meaningless rhetoric espoused to Canadians to win favour.    President Trump in a foreign country has zero relevance to Canada's issues with First Nations in general and Caledonia specifically.

If Canada doesn't like Bush/Obama/Trump/America's trade policies, go somewhere else for a better deal.   

7 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I would argue that the problem with the left is that it doesn’t know how to prioritize.  Liberal government (small L liberal) increasingly means saying yes to every special interest to the extent that important work such as raising employment levels and living standards for the poor gets completely overshadowed.  We’re basically all at the mercy of the whiny student radical who has never held down a real job.  We’re accepting too much at the extremes and losing the middle. I’m a centrist and not especially conservative or liberal by nature, but I find the Federal Liberals dysfunctional.  They can’t support the resource sector and now the eco warriors and special interests are taking down the party.  It’s sad because the LPC has done good work for the country at times in the past.  Trudeau cared too much about the wrong things and was naive to the downsides of the radical forces he tried to include.  My aunt used to say as a teacher you barely crack a smile in those early months of the school year, establish the rules, and then slowly let up when you have control.  Trudeau did the opposite, storming in with sunny ways and promises.  Now that he has realized he has to tighten the reins, he is becoming the hated ogre.  With Trump we knew what we were getting from the get go, so we’re not especially disappointed.  

I don't disagree with you.

3 hours ago, jacee said:

You have much to learn.

So instead of arguing my point you personally attack me.  

That is against the rules isn't it?

This is a personal attack which you cannot make because you do not have access to my education degrees, diplomas or anything else in regards to my education.

BTW it is the same reason as to why I cannot attack you or your education or intelligence level.

@mod @admin

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Donnie said:

So instead of arguing my point you personally attack me.  

That is against the rules isn't it?

This is a personal attack which you cannot make because you do not have access to my education degrees, diplomas or anything else in regards to my education.

BTW it is the same reason as to why I cannot attack you or your education or intelligence level.

@mod @admin

You have much to learn about our system of government, and the checks and balances on power that are intended to sustain democracy and avoid fascism.

Maybe check into other systems too, and then design your own. 

7 minutes ago, jacee said:

You have much to learn about our system of government, and the checks and balances on power that are intended to sustain democracy and avoid fascism.

Maybe check into other systems too, and then design your own. 

It is the left who are fans of fascism.  The left wants to compel the government to enforce laws at the end of a gun or baton.  I'd call that fascism.

• Haha 1