O'Connor on the Afghan War

I have not quoted the full article. It is available for subscribers.

---

Doer livid Quebec may get Boeing work

Thu Jan 25 2007

Winnipeg Free Press

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscribe...p-4460913c.html

By Paul Samyn

OTTAWA -- Twenty years after losing a CF-18 fighter maintenance contract to Quebec, Manitoba is again in a fight to ensure work slated for a Winnipeg aircraft plant isn't redirected to Montreal.

Premier Gary Doer fired the first salvo in a battle with Public Works Minister Michael Fortier, who reportedly won't sign the contract for new Boeing military transports unless his province of Quebec gets the bulk of the economic benefits. Up to $150 million is at stake for Manitoba.

"We don't want Fortier to take more outside of the West and therefore from Manitoba," Doer said Wednesday in an interview "And his comment that 'I am not going to sign a contract,' well, no one died and made him prime minister. He is an unelected senator, swaggering around making inappropriate comments about matters that are in the dustbin of Mulroney history."

Doer has spoken to Boeing officials about the procurement controversy surrounding their C-17 cargo planes as well as federal Industry Minister Maxime Bernier.

"I believe, the prime minister does not want to go back to the pork-barrel politics of the CF-18," Doer said.

"I think Minister Fortier has been way out of line."

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is totally crap. This is about getting the right equip for the troops, not about Quebec stealing from western Canada. Who does this ass hat think he is. I will not sign. F#^@K HIM!!

Canadians being killed overseas, and he won't sign, Ass Clown. sorry!!

That is totally crap. This is about getting the right equip for the troops, not about Quebec stealing from western Canada. Who does this ass hat think he is. I will not sign. F#^@K HIM!!

Canadians being killed overseas, and he won't sign, Ass Clown. sorry!!

He isn't the only one holding up the deal with his hand out. MacKay is involved too.

The Liberals had ended this regional policy in 1994. The Tories brought it back last year.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...PStory/National

OTTAWA -- Foreign Minister Peter MacKay has joined the intense lobbying to persuade Boeing Co. to spread out the economic benefits flowing from the military's planned $3.4-billion purchase of C-17 cargo aircraft.

Industry and government sources said U.S.-based Boeing wants to direct about 30 per cent of the benefits to Ontario and 20 per cent to the West.

Less than 10 per cent has been allocated to the Atlantic provinces so far.

While some benefits have yet to be allocated, Quebec would likely be left with 30 per cent.

The federal government largely lost the power to steer contract work to specific parts of the country in 1994 when it signed the Agreement on Internal Trade with the provinces.

But Ottawa invoked a national security exemption in the C-17 purchase, which effectively removes the contract from the agreement's reach.

Mr. Fortier, who is also the political minister for Montreal, has warned he will not sign the contract if Quebec does not obtain the largest share of the benefits.

This is why I have called this a "right wing" problem. The Liberals had removed this regional back and forthing. Paul Martin actually made sure the contracts for the military went to the company that put in the best bid.

Navy cancels NATO exercise off Canada's coast.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/st...5a-feb793efabb4

HALIFAX -- The navy's $25-million shortfall means three Canadian warships won't take part in exercises next week with a NATO squadron already in Halifax. Three Halifax-based warships -- a tanker, a destroyer and a frigate -- had been scheduled to sail with American and German ships now docked in the city. "We had planned to be there as a squadron working with the Canadians," said Cmdr. Chris Dickinson, a spokesman for the Standing NATO Response Force Maritime Group 1. "They have, as you've already been reporting, basically said, 'Gee whiz, we're not sailing because we've got no money.'

Thanks for the info,

The whole C17 things sound like political BS, 1000%. There is enough military contract work to spread out across Canada. The Navy for example, can only do work in BC & the maritimes. Very hard to move a warship to Sask.

The current C130 DLIR is done in Edmonton @ CAE. For Quebec, Bombardier does the work on the Harvad2's & Hawk trainer jets, as well as the CF18s. Bell Helicotpers in St Hubert maintains DLIR on the 85 Griffon helos. There is also a lagre DND workshop in Montreal that does all 3rd line maint on our trucks, tanks, LAV3, APCs, all small arms, arty guns, basically everything the army uses. Also, the main CF supply depot is in Montreal. Closed the ones in Edmonton & Toronto, moved everything to Montreal.

There's a company in Halifax that does DLIR on the CP140 & Seaking fleets. Not sure whose doing the CH149 Cormorant SAR helos. I know Boeing in Arnprior lost their contract when the old Lab SAR helos were retired, perhaps they are doing the Cormorants, not sure.

As for the Navy being beached next week, I don't think so. We are supposed to do a large NORAD air/sea ex next week with them & our fighters, it is still a go. It was still on when I left work tonight. These things usually go, especially if other nations are involved. They WILL find $$.

If something happened to one of those MPs it would look really bad for the government and the military. While in theory you might be correct, I've got to go with O'Connor on that one.

It's a good excuse anyways. Some people seem to buy into it; but then mostly those people will buy into anything the Steve government says.

O'Connor seems to treat Afghanistan as his own little surfdom. If Rick Mercer can get around so should these MPs be able to. Besides, I'd miss Mercer a hell of a lot more should something happen to him than I would any of the MPs.

If something happened to one of those MPs it would look really bad for the government and the military. While in theory you might be correct, I've got to go with O'Connor on that one.

I don't.

You don't what?

It's a good excuse anyways. Some people seem to buy into it; but then mostly those people will buy into anything the Steve government says.

O'Connor seems to treat Afghanistan as his own little surfdom. If Rick Mercer can get around so should these MPs be able to. Besides, I'd miss Mercer a hell of a lot more should something happen to him than I would any of the MPs.

Nobody here has any proof Rick Mercer has been allowed in any areas that the MPs weren't.

I think it's clear this is all part of the Liberal plan to undermine our mission. It is clear from the military people who post on this page that they support O'Connor. Clearly, the left would have us emulate France (a country militarily no one in the developed world should seriously emulate) in disgracefully pulling out from Afghanistan.

Nobody here has any proof Rick Mercer has been allowed in any areas that the MPs weren't.

I think it's clear this is all part of the Liberal plan to undermine our mission. It is clear from the military people who post on this page that they support O'Connor. Clearly, the left would have us emulate France (a country militarily no one in the developed world should seriously emulate) in disgracefully pulling out from Afghanistan.

"Liberal plan"?

"the left"?

Do you think there are no Liberal, Green or NDP supporters who support the war on terror, and the mission in Afghanistan?

Clearly, the left would have us emulate France

If it's clear surely you could provide proof that the lefties have said they want to emulate France? Otherwise you're just making things up.

I've seen a couple people here say they would like to see us pull out of the mission we are now on. They could be considered left but it's not a "left" thing. I know a few Conservatives that want to pull out since they don't believe the mission is worth the amount of money we are spending there. Are they left? And why reply with that to a post of mine since I've never advocated pulling out, or are you just trying to steer the conversation away from O'Connor being a little dictator?

I'm not a Liberal and I don't agree. MP's on Parliament's business should not have restrictions put on their movements by the government. This is an official all party committee sent by Parliament. There is an important principal here and as much as I like what O'Connor has done for our military, I think he is wrong on this one.

"Liberal plan"?

"the left"?

Do you think there are no Liberal, Green or NDP supporters who support the war on terror, and the mission in Afghanistan?

To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder.

Clearly, the left would have us emulate France

If it's clear surely you could provide proof that the lefties have said they want to emulate France? Otherwise you're just making things up.

I've seen a couple people here say they would like to see us pull out of the mission we are now on. They could be considered left but it's not a "left" thing. I know a few Conservatives that want to pull out since they don't believe the mission is worth the amount of money we are spending there. Are they left? And why reply with that to a post of mine since I've never advocated pulling out, or are you just trying to steer the conversation away from O'Connor being a little dictator?

It's clear that if we pulled out, we would be emulating France, the only other counrt that's pulled out.

O'Connor is supported by our military so any anti-O'Connor talk clearly, it seems to me, is an attack on our military.

We've comitted to helping the people of Afghanistan. Pulling out now would only prove of the ridiculous state of our military after decades of Liberal neglect.

To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder.

From the sounds of your post you are well past wondering.

I agree, especially considering the thought the Liberals could withdraw our troops from Afghanistan.

I agree, especially considering the thought the Liberals could withdraw our troops from Afghanistan.

Wasn't it the Liberals who sent our troops to Afghanistan in the first place?

Yes, that's true.

Good day all,

As I have said in other posts, I have been in the CF for 18 years, O'Connor is the best MND I have ever worked for. He cares about the military, and about our military people & families. He gets us what we need, and that's something the Canadian public has not seen since the '50s. For doing what's right for the armed forces, he is excellent.

That does not mean I always agree with him, I disagree with this A-stan/MPs decision. This is an awesome opportunity to show everybody what's really going on over there. This is a major opportunity missed to show all political parties, as well as the entire Canadian public what is going on, what we have accomplished and what still needs to be done. We (the military) owe the Canadian people that. We are asking for support for the people, we need to show them what they are supportting, the whole entire truth, the good, the bad, and the still to be done. There is nothing to hide, I do not understand it.

O'Connor has not always gotten it right, he is human, but he is far ahead of what we have ever had in the recent past.

I'm not a Liberal and I don't agree. MP's on Parliament's business should not have restrictions put on their movements by the government. This is an official all party committee sent by Parliament. There is an important principal here and as much as I like what O'Connor has done for our military, I think he is wrong on this one.

Absolutely correct wilber on all accounts. The commentary of the person you responded to, is a red herring argument. France has nothing to do with this at all, and the military's approval of O'Connor means little.

Absolutely correct wilber on all accounts. The commentary of the person you responded to, is a red herring argument. France has nothing to do with this at all, and the military's approval of O'Connor means little.

Yes France has a lot to do with this catchme in that if we pulled out of Afghanistan, as the left would have us do, we would be emulating France.

Yes France has a lot to do with this catchme in that if we pulled out of Afghanistan, as the left would have us do, we would be emulating France.

Again with "the left" comments. :rolleyes:

"The Left" are the ones that sent our troops to Afghanistan in the first place. Do you not think there is support among people who vote "left", and people who are "left" MP's, to remain and finish the job?

"The Left" are the ones that sent our troops to Afghanistan in the first place. Do you not think there is support among people who vote "left", and people who are "left" MP's, to remain and finish the job?

Yes I do but I also happen to know mass opposition to the war comes from the left and not from the right. That being said, I acknowledge that there are intelligent people on the opposite side of the spectrum too that recognize we need to stay there.

Yes I do but I also happen to know mass opposition to the war comes from the left and not from the right. That being said, I acknowledge that there are intelligent people on the opposite side of the spectrum too that recognize we need to stay there.

And there are also "right wing" supporters who do not support the war.

So don't you think you are doing your own arguments a dis-service by making blanket statements about "the left" being the only detractors of the war in Afghanistan?

I think the military's approval of O'Conner is huge. He is the first Defense Minister in a long time to actually put the people he is responsible for first. You can't underestimate how important that is for the people who depend on him to look after their interests. Everyone wants to work for a person like that. I just don't agree with him on this one issue.