Charest launches massive Quebec dam project

"Quebec Premier Jean Charest on Thursday announced the kick-off of a $5 billion hydroelectric project, the province's largest in a decade. "

"In order to build the stations, engineers will have to divert up to 80 per cent of the Rupert River, a feature of the project that has upset environmentalists and some members of the Cree community.

"It's very disappointing," Chief Abraham Rupert of Chisasibi, one of three Cree communities opposed to the plan, told The Canadian Press.

"We're feeling we haven't been listened to; we haven't been given a chance to speak."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder why the Cree are allowing this?

Could it be a deal was made to the tune of $3.5B, over fifty years.

Think of all the methane that will be produced by rotting vegetation and the sudden wealth developed for the impoverished Cree. What kind of situation (sudden wealth) will this present to the Cree? Where are our environmental concerned feds in all of this in a project that will no doubt destroy Cree fishing?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...dianrivers.html

I wonder if they at least harvest all the soon to be flooded woodland before flooding? That would lessen the impact of years of rot would it not?

They didn't for phase#1 of the James Bay project.

The tracks of land involved are substantial.

Phase 31 submerged 10,000 sq. kilometers, followed by a further 83,000 sq. kilometers of stream and lake banks and submerging a further 12,000 sq. kilometers of forest.

http://www.american.edu/TED/james.htm

Building coal plants makes alot more sense when you hear this stuff.

Genesee 3:

http://www.industcards.com/genesee3.jpg

Pretty nice looking plant, can't really say much you know, it's a coal plant. But it doesn't destroy 80,000 acres of wilderness.

It also creates 80,000 acres of aquatic ecosystem. Lots of wilderness in Canada, we can swing it.

This project is large but it's not massive. It will add about 900 MW to Hydro-Quebec's 35 000 MW capacity or about 3%.

The cost of this electricity is about 4 cents a kwh (compared to around 8 cents for windpower or about 5-6 cents for coal). Of course, hydro is clean and has no external effects. Coal creates CO2 and emits other contaminants such as sulphur dioxide.

Quebec residential customers pay about five cents per kwh whereas consumers in Boston pay over 18 cents per kwh. IMV, this is where the real change should take place.

The argument about flooding is odd. About 15% of Onatrio's land are is covered by water because of natural lakes. Glaciers happened to leave Quebec with rivers rather than lakes.

Is the methane caused by submerged trees really a problem?

Three of nine Cree communities opposed the project, forcing and embarrased Charest to move the announcement from the North to Montreal at the last minute. The largest Cree village is Chisasibi with a population of about 3300.

This project has been in the workd for a long time. The timing of the announcement ,means that there will be a Quebec election soon - perhaps as early as April. The Liberals were elected in April 2003.

The argument about flooding is odd. About 15% of Onatrio's land are is covered by water because of natural lakes. Glaciers happened to leave Quebec with rivers rather than lakes.

Is the methane caused by submerged trees really a problem?

This project has been in the workd for a long time. The timing of the announcement ,means that there will be a Quebec election soon - perhaps as early as April. The Liberals were elected in April 2003.

I fail to see what your argument is concerning existing great lakes in Ontario, as the lakes produce very little methane compared to the flooding of vast areas of trees and vegetation in Quebec to accommodate the James Bay project. This methane production will continue for centuries. I have not heard of any federal intervention concerning future problems from this massive project.

But another problem is the exploitation of the Cree.

Flooding of these lands will and has caused hunting, fishing and pollution problems for the Cree.

Will the end result with these natives concerning their lifestyles, end up with the responsibilities being shifted to Canadian taxpayers to look after these natives regarding housing and infrastructure and virtually everything else concerning their welfare?

Another problem is financing and saddling Quebec taxpayers with this $63-Billion dollar project and the problems that could be encountered.

http://www.geocities.com/carbonomics/MCspp...06/11sp06f.html

http://www.perc.ca/PEN/1991-12-01/ohanley.html

It seems everyone around Quebec suffers consequences from Quebec actions.

1. The exploitation of the Cree by Quebec.

2.-New Brunswick becoming 'officially bilingual' to accommodate francophone's and Quebec.

3. Newfoundland and Churchill falls hydroelectric controversy, cheating Newfoundlanders out of large sums of income.

4. Ottawa, Ontario being taken over linguistically by francophone minority with a language that does NOTHING for society but creates jobs for francophone's.

5. Even on the U.S. side states like Florida, where sections have been taken over by Quebecers and their French language.

^ I thought the Cree are recieving something like 70 million in compensation?

EDIT: opps, nevermind.

Its more like $3.5-Billion over the next fifty years.

Like I said ---MONEY TALKS!

http://www.forestnet.com/archives/July_Aug..._sawmilling.htm

It does work out to about 70 million per year. Does anyone know how many Cree their are?

Canada nationwide, there are 200,000 Cree.

In the immediate James Bay region the Cree population appears to be around 11,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cdic-mcc/21-3/e_e.html

What does this have to do with bleeding the Canadian taxpayer, who will be unjustifiably accountable for, by creating modern artificial wilderness habitat for aboriginals.

This includes everything from hundreds of millions for education to 80,000 modular homes.

What does this have to do with bleeding the Canadian taxpayer, who will be unjustifiably accountable for, by creating modern artificial wilderness habitat for aboriginals.

This includes everything from hundreds of millions for education to 80,000 modular homes.

I want a modular home and my educate subsidized! Or does my race disqualify me?

Another problem is financing and saddling Quebec taxpayers with this $63-Billion dollar project and the problems that could be encountered.

:rolleyes: The project will also add 3% to the total capacity of Hydro Quebec. The government could have fininaced wind generator farms or built a nuclear reactor for far less money. they would have gotten more than three per cent more power output! They could have sold the excess power to the states or Ontario.

I want a modular home and my educate subsidized! Or does my race disqualify me?

Sorry pal - you are the wrong colour - speak the wrong language - probably have the wrong skin colour - are possibly the wrong gender and certainly live in the wrong part of the country.

But remember - the kebekers owe you a vote of thanks for your money.

It is going to build them a dam and give those folks living in the north - jobs and pay off money.

That thank you and a couple of bucks will likely get a coffee and half a doughnut in most parts of this country. Do not hold your breathe waiting for it though. It might be a while in coming.

Borg