American Football

Just curious, why is it that there is no coverage in the Toronto Globe and Mail, any thoughts?

Time for someone to be educated!

1 - The Globe doesn't cover American Football because they choose to give in depth coverage of the CFL and the NHL. They are also Canada's 'National Newspaper' and there are no Canadian team in the NFL. The other papers are regional papers except for the National Post which has less than half of the circulation of the Globe and Mail. There are also people in Toronto and Hamilton who don't want the NFL in Canada. The NFL has stated that they will not be expanding to Canada at this time due to lack of fan support.

2 - Most other Canadian cities such as Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Hamilton,Winnipeg and Montreal strongly support their CFL teams. Many fans fear that if the NFL comes into Canada, the CFL will not be able to compete.There is no interest in the NFL except in Toronto where the Argos are losing money because they play in the Skydome. They should be playing at Varsity Stadium which is much smaller but has the proper atmosphere for football in Canada.

3 - NFL footbal is boring. I mean 4 downs to move the ball? In Canada we only use three downs which means more passes and more excitement. Who wants to see the ball being run on almost every play? We also have a larger field to play on.

4 - Did you know that the Baltimore Stallions are the only non-Canadian team to win the Grey Cup?

5 - The Grey Cup game is always more exciting than the series of blowouts called the "Super Bowl"?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, why is it that there is no coverage in the Toronto Globe and Mail, any thoughts?

Time for someone to be educated!

Remember that I live in Buffalo. If I drive in a certain direction I can see Canada. I know that the field is longer and wider. I also know about the three downs. I also know the season is over way before the NFLs. I think there were some exhibition games played between the two leagues in the past. Some players who made it big there came over to the NFL, Flutie and Moon. As far as passing vs running, that is hogwash. The pure passing teams never win the Super Bowl. Miami with Marino for one. It takes a mix of plays to be REALLY good. As far as the G&M not covering the NFL, that is fair, I doubt the NYT or the USA Today cover the CFL much, because there is no interest here, but the NFL has interest in CAnada and therefore, in a Canada/US Relations forum, I thought it to be an interesting observation of whatever. Canadian arrogance? As far as non support of Canadian football in Toronto, maybe the NFL would not find support there also. Los Angeles seems to be a large city which had problems supporting a team. Given the nonsupport of the Argos, to move or start a team in Toronto would be risky. As far as an American city having a CFL team, I say great. If the Bills were to move, which might happen someday, I would love to see CFL football here. It would be a great fit. Proximity to Canada, people love football, stadium, affordable.

As far as a Grey Cup game being more exciting, I can not comment since I have not seen one to know. I do like the idea of the earlier end to the season given the weather and the open air stadium here.

To me, by far the most interesting ad I saw on Superbowl Sunday was the Coca Cola ad which is based on the Grand Theft Auto video game series:

(the premise is that a video game character, obviously patterned after the antisocial thugs in the GTA games, drinks a Coke and has a change of heart. Rather than continue his antisocial rampage, he goes about doing good deeds-- gives his jacket to a homeless guy, extinguishes a fire, foils a purse-snatching, etc. The theme of the ad is "Give a little love and it all comes back to you.")

I thought the ad was not just entertaining, but also interesting because it gives an idea of how pervasive video games have become in our culture.

-k

There were several I enjoyed. There was the language class. When asked for a Bud, no speakie de Inglis.

Then there was the Comb Over from his beard, and the Check Out Doritos Girl, and of course the Connectile Disfunction ad so you can take care of business. Talk about how far propriety has been streached, these commercials often directly or indirectly deal with SEX, including Snickers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BGGDLdl4ycM

http://youtube.com/superbowl

I guess I was wrong, they did fire Schottenheimer, the Chargers head coach. Too much friction between him and AJ Smith.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...ers-rivera.html

By Bernie Wilson

ASSOCIATED PRESS

3:23 p.m. February 16, 2007

SAN DIEGO – Another guy with a Super Bowl ring dropped by San Diego Chargers headquarters looking for a head coaching job, and this one knows the drill pretty well.

Ron Rivera, Chicago's third-year defensive coordinator who played linebacker for the Bears' 1985 Super Bowl champion team, was the fourth candidate to interview for the job vacated by Marty Schottenheimer's sudden firing.

And now back to my favorite topic. I guess the Globe and Mail do have the NFL on their radar screen. Ted Rogers has wanted to bring the NFL to Toronto for 18 years. With the Bills in Buffalo, that chance is probably zero, but if Wilson was out of the picture...Toronto might get four-down football.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Pag...FRTGAM.20060906.

wxnfltoronto06%2FBNStory%2FSports%2Fhome&ord=1172009023887&brand

=theglobeandmail&force_login=true

"Two of Canada's most influential sports entrepreneurs continue to chase the dream of bringing a National Football League franchise to Toronto.Larry Tanenbaum, a minority shareholder of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., and Ted Rogers, chief executive officer of Rogers Communications Inc., the company that owns the Toronto Blue Jays, said yesterday that they hope to join forces to bring four-down football to Canada."

"Two of Canada's most influential sports entrepreneurs continue to chase the dream of bringing a National Football League franchise to Toronto.Larry Tanenbaum, a minority shareholder of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., and Ted Rogers, chief executive officer of Rogers Communications Inc.,

There biggest hurdle is the fact that there are no stadiums at present big enouhg to play in. I am not sure if it were these two guys, but the New Orleans Saints were very very close to being sold to Toronto investors. This was because of a lack any support post Katrina.

"Two of Canada's most influential sports entrepreneurs continue to chase the dream of bringing a National Football League franchise to Toronto.Larry Tanenbaum, a minority shareholder of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., and Ted Rogers, chief executive officer of Rogers Communications Inc.,

There biggest hurdle is the fact that there are no stadiums at present big enouhg to play in. I am not sure if it were these two guys, but the New Orleans Saints were very very close to being sold to Toronto investors. This was because of a lack any support post Katrina.

The New Orleans Saints would probably go to San Antonio, where they played for awhile. A stadium in Toronto might not be a problem if there are some billionaires involved. The Green Bay Packers play some of their games in Milwaukee, I think. Maybe we could share.

The New Orleans Saints would probably go to San Antonio, where they played for awhile. A stadium in Toronto might not be a problem if there are some billionaires involved. The Green Bay Packers play some of their games in Milwaukee, I think. Maybe we could share.

I think New Orleans will stay where they are, Last season should do that for them. Green Bay has never that I know of, played outside of Green Bay as a home game. Have you ever seen Green Bay during a ball game? The city is virtually deserted.Stores closed , shops closed nobody moving.

SHaring is a problem. I like the Bills, hope nothing happens to them , and really, since every NFL teams payroll is covered before the first game is scheduled, why would Bill leave? Okay the owner seems to be a little long in the tooth and does not know what he is doing, but he makes plenty money from the team.

But having a team here is problematic. #1-pay $1Billion dollars for a franchise #2-pay anywhere from $400 to $800 million for a stadium. Then factor in the TV rights holders that do not want to show a CDN based game and it spells trouble.

Frankly, as good as the NFL is (very good) I am not enough of a Football fan to really care. Never have been, although I am a fan, mildly, of the bills , if I need to see a game, 2 hours travel is nothing. I do however have some pride for the Argos (why??) and would not really like to see the demise of the team.

And now back to my favorite topic. I guess the Globe and Mail do have the NFL on their radar screen. Ted Rogers has wanted to bring the NFL to Toronto for 18 years. With the Bills in Buffalo, that chance is probably zero, but if Wilson was out of the picture...Toronto might get four-down football.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Pag...FRTGAM.20060906.

wxnfltoronto06%2FBNStory%2FSports%2Fhome&ord=1172009023887&brand

=theglobeandmail&force_login=true

"Two of Canada's most influential sports entrepreneurs continue to chase the dream of bringing a National Football League franchise to Toronto.Larry Tanenbaum, a minority shareholder of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., and Ted Rogers, chief executive officer of Rogers Communications Inc., the company that owns the Toronto Blue Jays, said yesterday that they hope to join forces to bring four-down football to Canada."

If the NFL is smart they won't do it. The only reason Toronto wants a team is to keep consistent in it's ongoing quest to be in the same "league" as big american city. This is Toronto's little inferiority complex and has nothing to do with the love of football.

I just can't picture a bunch of pole-up-the-ass Torontonians whooping it up with beer and ribs at a tailgate party 4 hours before kickoff - or screaming their lungs out on a third and long...they'd be too busy wondering if it was offending any cultures that might not like noise :)

If the NFL is smart they won't do it. The only reason Toronto wants a team is to keep consistent in it's ongoing quest to be in the same "league" as big american city. This is Toronto's little inferiority complex and has nothing to do with the love of football.

I just can't picture a bunch of pole-up-the-ass Torontonians whooping it up with beer and ribs at a tailgate party 4 hours before kickoff - or screaming their lungs out on a third and long...they'd be too busy wondering if it was offending any cultures that might not like noise :)

Fact is Toronto is already a bigger player than all but NY , LA, Chicago so not so sure what you are saying.There is definitely a big enough market to support a team, whether one cares or not.

As for tailgate parties that wont happen, against the law here and would be stopped.

Fact is Toronto is already a bigger player than all but NY , LA, Chicago

Now I am curious, is Toronto a bigger player than Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, and Houston. I think it might depend on how you define player. Just as in football, you have to compare by position, in cities, you have to compare apples with apples. I saw one figure of Toronto with four million. That is second to NY with eight million, and ahead of Chicago and LA.

Now I am curious, is Toronto a bigger player than Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, and Houston. I think it might depend on how you define player. Just as in football, you have to compare by position, in cities, you have to compare apples with apples. I saw one figure of Toronto with four million. That is second to NY with eight million, and ahead of Chicago and LA.

It is not an easy Q to answer.

For theatre, TO is only behind NY and London. (for instance)

But size is not the only qualifier. Look at LA, they dont have a team, but around them they do.All the cities you listed are smaller than TO. But Boston is part of that huge area along the coast, and Philly is in a very congested area.

So it would depend on how you want to measure things. Oh and according to to all our friends out west, TO is also the leader in arrogance...or so I have been told, but then again, it is a westerner saying that and that opinion doesn t count.

All the cities you listed are smaller than TO. But Boston is part of that huge area along the coast, and Philly is in a very congested area.

So it would depend on how you want to measure things.

I bought a citypass which was good for six sites. We did four in the city proper, and then went to the zoo. I was surprised how far the zoo was east of the city, and still in Toronto. My guess is that Toronto's land area is very large, much larger than these other cities. Another interesting thing is that only Denver is a state capitol, whereas Toronto is a provincial capitol with its capitol building and supporting buildings (remove them and apples to apples?). The CN Tower is very large and wonderful to visit, but it is not a building. I do not understand why it was built (tv tower?). Toronto has the stock exchange, and the U of Toronto. Boston has MIT, and Harvard, and BC. I think city ranking is tough. I think I would rank Toronto lower than it should, and you are ranking it higher than it should.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_telev...by_media_market

Click on Canada and it gives media rankings there. I can not find combined rankings.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting article about incentive.

http://www.buffalonews.com/213/story/30245.html

If Vince Lombardi was right, if winning isn’t everything but the only thing, then how come in pro sports it’s worth such a pittance?

The winner’s share in last year’s World Series? About $325,000 a man.

In the NBA Finals? A little over a hundred grand.

The Super Bowl, the event with some 40 trillion television viewers? Try $78,000, which is half what Nate Clements will make per quarter under terms of a new eight-year, $80 million contract that gives him the wherewithal, if he so desires, to do little more than shop exotic islands.

The whole system’s gone way out of whack. The Buffalo Bills just bestowed upon Derrick Dockery $49 million over seven years, $18.5 million of that guaranteed. Whether Dockery’s good or bad, enthused or indifferent, he’s been enabled to peruse the Bentley catalog (not for cars, but dealerships) along with Eric Steinbach and Leonard Davis, fellow offensive linemen who signed new deals of comparable magnitude. One can only hope Dockery’s not another Mike Williams, the former Bill who signed a mega-deal out of college and was perfectly content to settle into early retirement.

It’s no different in other sports. After last season the NBA’s Minnesota Timberwolves lured free agent Mike Jones away from Toronto with a four-year pact worth $25 million. Which got me to thinking: Who the heck is Mike Jones, is he really worth more than $6 million a season and do the T-Wolves have any chance of winning the title now that he’s wearing their uniform? Their 27-30 record answers that last question emphatically: No. And what the T-Wolves have realized for their investment is a major across-the-board drop in James’ production.

In baseball, the Los Angeles Angels secured the services of outfielder Gary Matthews Jr., a mediocrity with alleged steroid connections, for five years at $10 million per, which must have Ted Williams rolling over in his cryogenic chamber in search of the defrost switch.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying athletes make too much money. So long as ticket prices are reasonable, as is the case with Buffalo’s teams at least, I’m all for the players getting a big slab of the old revenue pie. But it bugs me when they’re quick to betray the essence of pro sports to cut themselves an oversized piece in the name of “family security,” as if the security of $6 million a year so dwarfs the security of $4 million a year that the reasons for selling out are self-evident.

Senators winger Martin Havlat didn’t bolt Ottawa for Chicago after last season to better his chances of winning the Stanley Cup. The Blackhawks have been the NHL’s most dysfunctional franchise. Havlat left Ottawa for Chicago because the Blackhawks said, “Martin, give us three years we’ll give you $18 million.”

Michael Peca went the same route during his contract standoff with the Sabres, requesting a trade not to better his chances of winning the Cup but to better his chances of fattening his wallet. Where he ended up was, to Peca, inconsequential. His take was that the Sabres were disrespecting him by not paying him enough. He wanted to play with a team that “appreciated” his value. The Islanders weren’t any good but they fit the criteria, signing the center for five years at $20 million and subsequently trading him.

There’s a remedy for a pay system that has, in this era of rampant salary escalation, made victory a matter of secondary concern, something athletes aspire to but can just as easily live without so long as the price is right. The antidote can be found in the blueprints for the old XFL, which paid its players modest salaries but concluded its season with the “Million Dollar Game.” Imagine that, putting the pot of gold where it belongs, at the end of the rainbow.

Pro sports would benefit from a variation of the XFL’s idea that might go something like this in the NFL: Players can still receive 54 percent of league revenues, but the salary cap drops by 20 percent and the excess — about $600 million — goes into the postseason pot. Making the playoffs is worth $10 million a team, for a total of $120 million. Advancing to the conference finals is worth another $20 million a team, which amounts to $80 million. That leaves $400 million up for grabs during the Super Bowl, with $300 million of that going to the champion. Win it all — which is supposed to be the objective — and we’re talking bonus checks of more than $6 million a player. Put those incentives on the table and I’ll definitely be ready for some football.

This system can work in any league with a salary cap promoting a relatively fair dispersal of players, which excludes baseball, a sport perfectly content to have its small-market teams contend once a century. Just think about it. Winning the Stanley Cup could mean individual bonuses of $5 million. It would make free agents think hard before taking an inflated offer from a deflated franchise.

The NHL ought to get right on this, become a trailblazer, put the premium on winning before the start of next season. Which just so happens to be right before Chris Drury and Daniel Briere hit the free-agent market.