American Football

I just got back from a trip to Toronto for three days. At the Airport Hilton I got to read the Toronto Globe and Mail. I turned to the sports section, and there was the coverage of hockey and the Maple Leafs, of course, and the Raptors, but what surprised me was NO coverage of American Football except for divisional standings. There was an article where it was suggested that the NHL should be reduced in size to an eventual 24 teams, that expansion has not worked as expected, and that it is loosing ground in the US AND Canada, not gaining.

Now at this time of the year, with the end of the season of American football near, there is NO coverage of it. I know there is interest up there because I have seen Canadian plates in the Bills lot, and I hear Canadians call in to the post game radio shows.

Just curious, why is it that there is no coverage in the Toronto Globe and Mail, any thoughts?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the New York Times cover the CFL?

Did you guys down there get to read that I (ME!) got to take pictures of the Grey Cup -- got to touch it and read all the names? That was in early December? Did you read about it?

No.

No kidding. Wouldn't really expect Canadian Football to be top priority in the states. Just as your football league isn't all that important to us.

Cheers and happy cheering.

No kidding. Wouldn't really expect Canadian Football to be top priority in the states. Just as your football league isn't all that important to us.

Drea are you posting high again?

OP, the NFL is huge business in Canada.

It just happens that the Globe and Mail easily has the worst sports section of all the major dailies in Canada.

The Toronto Star, National Post, Montreal Gazette, Vancouver Sun or Edmonton Journal all would have had more in-depth NFL coverage.

Drea are you posting high again?

OP, the NFL is huge business in Canada.

It just happens that the Globe and Mail easily has the worst sports section of all the major dailies in Canada.

The Toronto Star, National Post, Montreal Gazette, Vancouver Sun or Edmonton Journal all would have had more in-depth NFL coverage.

All righty then.. how come my name wasn't mentioned in even one single newspaper in the US. After all I was in the company of Lion's players with the Grey Cup. I got to touch it and you didn't -- neener neener. (You give attitude, honey, you get attitude right back)

Eff you about the "high" honey. It's 9:45 am here. Are you effin' drunk this early in the morning beanhead.

All righty then.. how come my name wasn't mentioned in even one single newspaper in the US. After all I was in the company of Lion's players with the Grey Cup. I got to touch it and you didn't -- neener neener. (You give attitude, honey, you get attitude right back)

What? How many papers were you mentioned in Canada? Touching the Grey Cup is such a newsworthy event and all. Is there a segment on the National coming up about Drea's special experience with the Grey Cup?

Eff you about the "high" honey. It's 9:45 am here. Are you effin' drunk this early in the morning beanhead.

You said the time and you swore but you didn't deny being high ...

A little wake and bake me thinks. :lol:

What? How many papers were you mentioned in Canada? Touching the Grey Cup is such a newsworthy event and all. Is there a segment on the National coming up about Drea's special experience with the Grey Cup?

You said the time and you swore but you didn't deny being high ...

A little wake and bake me thinks. :lol:

I would have been perfectly willing to discuss the fact that some newspapers cover it and some don't. But NOOO, you had to go and insult me. Why? Did that make you feel good? Does it make you feel good to insult folks?

Some people don't believe American football is that important. Obvioulsy you are not one of them. That is ok.

But I don't go around saying "you are dillusional, or you are wasted". (Unless provoked of course)

By the way, I'm going out tonight and probably will have a couple glasses of wine. Therefore I will not smoke any pot today (bad bad mixing pot and alcohol).

Just because a person admits that they like to smoke pot does not mean they smoke it 24/7. Duuuuuuuuuh.

So every time I post you will pull out "you are high!".

Sigh.

I would have been perfectly willing to discuss the fact that some newspapers cover it and some don't. But NOOO, you had to go and insult me. Why? Did that make you feel good? Does it make you feel good to insult folks?

You say that, but your response to the OP was.

Did you guys down there get to read that I (ME!) got to take pictures of the Grey Cup -- got to touch it and read all the names? That was in early December? Did you read about it?

Sounds like a real opening to discussion there ....

Gotta love hypocrisy.

Spark another one Cheech! (I'm putting you on about the weed because I know the mood swings chronics go through.)

You say that, but your response to the OP was.

Sounds like a real opening to discussion there ....

Gotta love hypocrisy.

Spark another one Cheech! (I'm putting you on about the weed because I know the mood swings chronics go through.)

You still stuck on that pot thang? Redneck can't let it go :lol:

You still stuck on that pot thang? Redneck can't let it go :lol:

Ignoring the hypocrisy of your posts.

Typical leftist reaction. Call me a redneck because I stated the truth. Sad, sad, sad.

Still haven't heard you deny you are high right now... :lol:

If you have ever read my opinion on any other topic besides America (I know how difficult it is for you, but America is NOT the only topic in the forum) you would know that I am not a lefty. Actually I lean quite far to the right in many ways.

Of course it is difficult to read when drunk.... so you are excused. ;) that you missed the part of my post that said I will be drinking some wine tonight and therefore will not be smoking any pot today. Mixing pot and booze is never a good thing.

If you have ever read my opinion on any other topic besides America (I know how difficult it is for you, but America is NOT the only topic in the forum) you would know that I am not a lefty. Actually I lean quite far to the right in many ways.

This is the Canada/US relations forum. Everything on this forum deals with the US.

Do take this opportunity to post on some of your rightist believes. You are probably to the right of me on a number of them.

I for one would love to see American Football penetrate into Canada by expansion or relocation. Who knows, perhaps the Bills might relocate to Toronto someday. I would love to see them (NFL) also go into Mexico City. American Football seems to have done fairly well in Germany.

Hey, if the Bills go to Toronto, maybe Buffalo can get the Argos. We can trade teams.

I for one would love to see American Football penetrate into Canada by expansion or relocation. Who knows, perhaps the Bills might relocate to Toronto someday. I would love to see them (NFL) also go into Mexico City. American Football seems to have done fairly well in Germany.

Hey, if the Bills go to Toronto, maybe Buffalo can get the Argos. We can trade teams.

I can't see Toronto supporting an NFL team.

The SkyDome isn't big enough to support the NFL. Don't see there being enough support to build a new stadium.

Yeah, thats a good point Ft. Niagara. A decent sports page would have some more info on the NFL. I know some football fans up here and quite a few of them like the NFL much better than the CFL. (Kramer on Seinfeld liked the CFL though...lol).

Yeah, thats a good point Ft. Niagara. A decent sports page would have some more info on the NFL. I know some football fans up here and quite a few of them like the NFL much better than the CFL. (Kramer on Seinfeld liked the CFL though...lol).

I am definitely one of those guys for a simple reason. It is better period. The athletes are better without question.

When I watch baseball I watch the Major Leagues, not AAA.

When I watch hockey I watch the NHL, not the AHL.

When I watch footbal I prefer to watch the NFL, not the CFL.

I go to the odd CFL game, but that's more for a night out than anything else.

Past NFL execs have said that Toronto in no where near ready for an NFL team. The first they look for is a football crazy town. That means high schools get crowds, university games gets crowds, CFL games get crowds.

There is a reason Baltimore got a team back. They showed they loved football at all levels.

Toronto is fixated on NFL football but they don't have the depth of love the game needs.

You can see that in hockey in Ontario but not football.

They are not going to put a team in Toronto before they put a team back in Los Angeles. And they are in no hurry to put a team in Los Angeles.

Also, Canadian teams are poor draws in the U.S. in baseball and hockey. I don't think that is lost on NFL people. The worst possible scenario for football would be a team from Toronto getting into the Superbowl and having lousy ratings.

Past NFL execs have said that Toronto in no where near ready for an NFL team. The first they look for is a football crazy town. That means high schools get crowds, university games gets crowds, CFL games get crowds.

The whole football crazy argument doesn't really play into things at all. The GTA has 5 million people. They could support an NFL team if it is run well. Depth of love of the game?

They are not going to put a team in Toronto before they put a team back in Los Angeles. And they are in no hurry to put a team in Los Angeles.

Agreed but it could be done at the same time. If the league expanded from 32 teams to 36 you *could* see LA - Mexico City - Toronto and some random fourth city.

I don't think the US will go to Europe anytime soon. Travel would be an incredible nightmare.

Also, Canadian teams are poor draws in the U.S. in baseball and hockey. I don't think that is lost on NFL people. The worst possible scenario for football would be a team from Toronto getting into the Superbowl and having lousy ratings.

The poor draw thing isn't a factor. Good Canadian teams draw well.

NFL teams only play 8 home games a year as opposed ot 41 in the NHL and 81 in MLB. There are very few cities in the league where it is even possible to walk up and buy tickets on game day. So the draw of a team isn't really consideration.

The effect of an NFL team in Toronto on the CFL might be a consideration. But the Argos are clearly one of the weakest links in the league (now that Ottawa is kaput again). The few hardcore Argos fans would still go see them play in Mississauga or elsewhere in the GTA.

But a stadium remains the one huge stumbling block which I can't see somebody overcoming.

The NFL is a rich city sport, and Toronto is a rich large city. Yes the CFL does involve national pride, and yes the stadium thing is a problem. I think that football will soon price itself out of smaller cities like Buffalo, so I can imagine relocation over expansion. No, I do not see football in Europe, but NFLEurope has done ok in Germany. Baseball got its start in Japan postWWII, so it takes time and exposure. Now the Japanese love it. I could see eventual expansion into Mexico City. They have drawn great preseason crowds down there. Language would be a problem, of course, but Mexico City has alot of people, and great weather. Their team would have the advantage of being altitude adjusted, very important in the fourth quarter.

Does the New York Times cover the CFL?

No.

Cheers and happy cheering.

That is totally incorrect. The NFL is a huge business - in the USA and in Canada. Why do you think Torontonians are falling all over themselves trying to get a team (other than a latent collective inferiority complex and desire to be on equaly footing with bigger and better American cities). But I digress.

First of all - Drea is overstating the importance of touching the grey cup. They parade that oversized tin can around every coffee shop in the country that'll take 'em. The CFL has a serious LACK of following and the CFL thinks its good PR to bring the grey cup to Tim Hortons and Zellers for photo ops.

Whereas the Superbowl is (arguably) the most widely watched SINGLE sporting event on earth. Now some will bring up the World Cup which might be fair, but the point remains that the grey cup isn't even on the world radar when compared to the NFL or (boring old) soccer.

The reason you can't find good coverage of the NFL in The Globe is that this particular paper claims to be a "National" newspaper and tries to stuff an entire country's news into 4 sections. It usually ends up with a bunch of stuff about Toronto - and the sports section (other than Toronto Maple Laugh coverage) is basically an afterthought.

I bet even the Toronto Star would have provided you with a good summary of the day's NFL news.

Anyone who tries to represent the typical red-blooded Canadian sports fan as someone who doesn't care about the NFL or thinks the CFL is a superior league is SERIOUSLY misleading you.

The NFL is without a doubt the most competitive, well marketed, exciting and well run league in the world today.

I just got back from a trip to Toronto for three days. At the Airport Hilton I got to read the Toronto Globe and Mail. I turned to the sports section, and there was the coverage of hockey and the Maple Leafs, of course, and the Raptors, but what surprised me was NO coverage of American Football except for divisional standings. There was an article where it was suggested that the NHL should be reduced in size to an eventual 24 teams, that expansion has not worked as expected, and that it is loosing ground in the US AND Canada, not gaining.

Now at this time of the year, with the end of the season of American football near, there is NO coverage of it. I know there is interest up there because I have seen Canadian plates in the Bills lot, and I hear Canadians call in to the post game radio shows.

Just curious, why is it that there is no coverage in the Toronto Globe and Mail, any thoughts?

Never watch it myself......and BTW, it is not called the Toronto Globe and Mail anymore than USA Today is called the Atlanta USA Today......

The NFL is without a doubt the most competitive, well marketed, exciting and well run league in the world today.

Three out of four ain't bad.

Its a matter of opinion I suppose. But it's been my experience that most people who don't like football don't truly understand it. It's much more complex than soccer with a whole lot going on, both mentally and action-wise on every play - which is why football teams have so many coaches.

Alot of people who like more simple-minded one-dimensional sports like soccer or hockey often don't get it and don't see what's happening on each play all over the field. I used to be like that until I learned alot more about the game.

I certainly favor hockey over football, but there is no way it has even a fractino of the complexity that football does. Once I learned that I started to enjoy the NFL immensely.

Hockey has more immediate gratification - chance after chance after chance. Football is a more well thought out and deliberate plan, attack, defend type of game - which is probably why alot of Americans dig it so much - it kind of resembles war with the ground attack, the air attack, the wide outs, the ground pounders....

Soccer ...well, soccer is often exclipsed by another activity - watching paint dry.