How alike are Canadians and Americans

In my opinion, Montreal will always be the true cultural capital of Canada. If it weren't for the separatists, we still would be today. Montreal was the business and cultural capital of Canada. While the banks may have moved to Toronto, Montreal remains in many ways the best part of Canada.

Toronto is just another city and frankly, it isn't that impressive.

I think it was , and likely will be soon enough , so in fact I agree with you. But the anti sentiment has to go.

Ok, I dont agree with you on the last sentence.;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Canada even have a cuisine that we can call our own,

or are we just a repository of culinary arts that come into our country

from the various ethnic groups that make Canada their home,

just like every other country with any kind of immigration population?

In my opinion, Montreal will always be the true cultural capital of Canada. If it weren't for the separatists, we still would be today. Montreal was the business and cultural capital of Canada. While the banks may have moved to Toronto, Montreal remains in many ways the best part of Canada.

Toronto is just another city and frankly, it isn't that impressive.

I think it was , and likely will be soon enough , so in fact I agree with you. But the anti sentiment has to go.

Ok, I dont agree with you on the last sentence.;)

I don't dislike Toronto as a city and if I were judging it against Pittsburgh, I would rank it fairly high. The only problem is Torontonians judge their city against New York, a city that is just way out of their league.

Does the United States? Other than fried gator maybe?

Does the United States? Other than fried gator maybe?

Apple pie!

For the most part, Canadian, American and (to a lesser extent) Australian food has British cooking as its primary influence (roasted meats, potatoes, etc.), so our foods are probably 80% similar. We each then got the same immigrant groups that added their cuisine (bratwurst, pasta, vindaloo) to our national diets. Where we differ is the inclusion of French food as being native among a significant number of your population. The US got Mexican and Latin influences (e.g., Tex-Mex), you got French. But for that 20% difference, I'd say US and Canadian cuisine is nearly identical.

The US got Mexican and Latin influences (e.g., Tex-Mex), you got French. But for that 20% difference, I'd say US and Canadian cuisine is nearly identical.

New Orleans and Cajuns may take exception to that. When Canada kicked out the Acadians, they went to the US with their cuisine.

What's the name of that big Ukrainian place in Winnipeg... you can buy practically tubs of perogies? Winnipeg is nearing the bottom of my list of Canadian places I'd live (right above Taktauktuk), but that one resturant nearly bumps it up a spot. It's a one namer resturant... I wish I could remember the name grrr.

Is it

Alycia's
???

I always though Canada's national cuisine was beer and back bacon, eh? Otherwise, pretty much every nationality is represented in the restaurant scene, even here in Calgary. It's wonderful. North America is pretty young, culture-wise, so of course most every recipe is imported.

I had some wonderful bannock made by a nice elderly woman while on the Tsu'u T'ina Reserve, but oddly, she was German (actually a German-speaking Sudeten Czech whose family lost their land to the Nazis) who was the widow of a former Chief.

Canadian cuisine is a hard one to nail down.

We have so many different nationalities that came to to this country and brought the food from home.

For instance one can get excellent perogies in Barry's Bay, smack dab in the middle of nowhere on the way to Ottawa from Huntsville. As mentioned earlier I suspect Winnipeg is grand for them too. Icelandic cuisine (whatever that is) is found in Manitoba due to settlement.

Travel up north and things are entirely different due to lack of fresh produce for much of the year (historically that is) Go even further north and seal blubber and plenty of other god awful (suspected that is) things are available.

NFLD cooking is something I have never had. I pride myself on the many countries I have enjoyed the cuisine yet not even all of my own country. I look forward to trying Salt Cod and Cod cheeks....I think.

Poutine , Tortiere , Perogies, Headcheese , Peameal Bacon .

Look at Italy , a country famous for food. They can argue like no other on how a pasta dish is supposed to be. Even they dont agree on what goes in it or on it. Because there are regional variations in everything.

In NJ I could not get a pop. Only a soda.

In Indiana (Perdue days) I was looked as strange that I wanted Malt vinegar on my fries.

In the US south I opined what is so good about eating a large metal bin full of hot ashes ? (they said they wanted to eat bbq)

But I f I were asked what one thing is uniquely CDN, I would have to say Maple Syrup, Maine and Vermont notwithstanding.