Apocalypto

betsy

Unfortunately I have not seen the movie yet, and it will probably be after the holidays that I would be able to do so. From what I've read so far, it's getting some excellent reviews....especially the luscious vistas ....and recommended to be seen on wide screen.

It is a very brutal and violent movie but the violence is said to be the way it was during those times.

And it seems the previous scandals about Mel Gibson did not hurt it at the box office. It was number one on its first week, way ahead of another action/adventure by Leonardo Di Caprio.

"Speaking of a story, “Apocalypto” does actually have one, and it’s surprisingly simple at that. The majority of the film revolves around one young hunter’s trek back home to save his pregnant wife and son after he has been captured and their village ransacked by a dominant tribe. Although a specific time frame is never addressed, the movie obviously takes place well into the decline of the Mayan civilization. The disappearance of the Mayan culture has always been a mystery to archaeologists. Presumably, European explorers and disease might have caused their abrupt dissolution; however, “Apocalypto” also addresses a theme of corruption from within. A civilization must start to crumble on its own before others can pick away at the pieces. Whether or not Mr. Gibson intended this theme to apply to current worldly situations is open for interpretation."

"A great civilization is not destroyed from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

http://movies.yahoo.com/mvc/dfrv?mid=18092....0wrvviJbQiUg--

What happened to the Mayan civilization? Does it mirror the current society in some ways?

Unfortunately I have not seen the movie yet, and it will probably be after the holidays that I would be able to do so. From what I've read so far, it's getting some excellent reviews....especially the luscious vistas ....and recommended to be seen on wide screen.

It is a very brutal and violent movie but the violence is said to be the way it was during those times.

And it seems the previous scandals about Mel Gibson did not hurt it at the box office. It was number one on its first week, way ahead of another action/adventure by Leonardo Di Caprio.

"Speaking of a story, “Apocalypto” does actually have one, and it’s surprisingly simple at that. The majority of the film revolves around one young hunter’s trek back home to save his pregnant wife and son after he has been captured and their village ransacked by a dominant tribe. Although a specific time frame is never addressed, the movie obviously takes place well into the decline of the Mayan civilization. The disappearance of the Mayan culture has always been a mystery to archaeologists. Presumably, European explorers and disease might have caused their abrupt dissolution; however, “Apocalypto” also addresses a theme of corruption from within. A civilization must start to crumble on its own before others can pick away at the pieces. Whether or not Mr. Gibson intended this theme to apply to current worldly situations is open for interpretation."

"A great civilization is not destroyed from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

http://movies.yahoo.com/mvc/dfrv?mid=18092....0wrvviJbQiUg--

What happened to the Mayan civilization? Does it mirror the current society in some ways?

is this to be a violent as brave heart? yay!

Perhaps even more! Apparently this movie did show some brutal practices (like human sacrifices) at the time.

But compared to other movies (SAW, Hostel, are just some of the most horrifying I'd ever seen), that depicted gratuitious violence, several reviews had stated that the violence in this film was for realism.

Perhaps even more! Apparently this movie did show some brutal practices (like human sacrifices) at the time.

But compared to other movies (SAW, Hostel, are just some of the most horrifying I'd ever seen), that depicted gratuitious violence, several reviews had stated that the violence in this film was for realism.

well all those movies show hoplessness, dispair, and rotten gore, (booooring...) i liked the glory of the fight! to the death in the battle feild, with honor! ... well that was short lived, i get that feeling from my home based halo 2 tournements... hail to the king baby! B)

or as mel brooks would say:

'its good to be the king...'

for a sec i thought you where talk'n about me...

i do say dirty jew from time to time <_< , but as a joke,

as far as mel gibson, he has distributed signs of a religously related problem, and did divulge in his feelings, a mass depression and atempt at suicide, which were later speculated as unproven, as he only provided sub-standard stories of self delusion, and qeustional witness accounts with no definite situation to base it of from.

on a brighter note, i'm watching it and am going to ruin the ending to all the mel gibson nerds i know!

and my spelling sucks today, i apoligize, no sleep and lots'o'coffee :blink:

LLLLLLOOOOOOTTTTTSSS OOOOOOOFFFFFF CCCOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFEEEEEE!!!!!!!

i do say dirty jew from time to time <_< , but as a joke,

Yeah, that one always cracks me up...

<_<

Aha! I always wondered how people quoted entire posts, for I have always hit the 'add reply' button and only quoted the pertinent bits...DarkAngel, everyone has been asked to refrain from quoting entire posts, please don't clutter the forum with repetitive bits.

What? explain....

When you used the "quote" button in replies, it is better practice to leave in (of course without taking words out of context) the parts of the prior post you are responding to, and omit the rest. I personally will break a quote into its parts, copy the original internal header at the beginning of a quote portion and put a [/ quote] manually at the end of each quoted portion.