Rush Limbaugh

This is definitely a blow to his conservate far right views with his correlation between being a black QB and being hyped up by the media to look successful.

I guess Elway, Montana, Young, etc over their long NFL careers all sucked too and it was only their defense that made them look good.......oh wait, those QB's are white.

This is about as ignorant of a statement and shows his credibility and views for his conservative party.........NICE GOING RUSH, I knew we could count on ya!!

He should have been fired but, they let him resign...........he had it coming to him.........HOW PATHETIC IS HE NOW!!!

Didn't he try to blame it on the left as if they made him make those remarks??

I love how Rush forgot who is audience was....

His two (2) co-workers, Tom Jackson and Mike Irvin are black along with 87%+ of the NFL football players are too and he wants to go racial......

If it wasn't "racial," then why bother bringing "race" into someone's performance on national T.V.????

This is the same crap he iterates on his radio show brainwashing half the red necks into believing this garbage.......

This is the same crap he iterates on his radio show brainwashing half the red necks into believing this garbage.......

Sad thing is, people who listen to Rush and his ilk already believe the garbage. That's how Rush, Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and a legion of other shrill soldiers of the punditocracy have become so successful: by telling people what they want to hear.

Anyone got a link to give? Not up on this topic at all, although I got to admit I used to watch Rush's show and even bought a book (The way things should be???) by him. I was a teenager when he impressed me, as I grew up I realized what a moron he was. Funny how so many US conservatives still adore him. Says something I think.

• Forum Admin

Does this thread have a point? If so, I'd appreciate someone getting to it as quickly as possible.

If there isn't something of value here by morning, I'll be deleted it permanently.

This is definitely a blow to his conservate far right views with his correlation between being a black QB and being hyped up by the media to look successful.

I guess Elway, Montana, Young, etc over their long NFL careers all sucked too and it was only their defense that made them look good.......oh wait, those QB's are white.

This is about as ignorant of a statement and shows his credibility and views for his conservative party.........NICE GOING RUSH, I knew we could count on ya!!

He should have been fired but, they let him resign...........he had it coming to him.........HOW PATHETIC IS HE NOW!!!

Didn't he try to blame it on the left as if they made him make those remarks??

To take a conservative who made a statement that was unintentially racist and draw the conclusion that ALL conservatives are racist is discriminatory. Although racism isn't a factor, discrimination is your crime, just like Rush's. Rush wasn't exactly smart in what he said, but accusing every conservative of racism is just as bad.

How old are you? That sounds like an argument a kid would present? (btw, if you ARE under 18, keep your age private for your own safety, the internet is a big scary place)

Did you notice how, on the news programs tonight, they made fun of him.

ABC:Rush was trying to point out that the media, excuse me (chuckle) the left-wing media.....blah blah blah

He didn't mean for it to be taken that way, and that was one of his "mild" comments.

Why did he get hell for it?

Its because the Liberal media mostly controls television.

The Lib. media has gone overboard with this story about rush.

He "messes up" once and he gets hell from the Left-wing press.

Pathetic

Thats the one and only word that can describe it

Plus im not a redneck, so don't call me it, thats stereotyping, and thats what....RACISM.

This is the type of situation that disgusts me. Rush Limbaugh has his own independent opinion, and announces it to millions and millions of people via Television. Since society is frightened of harming the minority we appear disgusted of this action while mentally we tell ourselves "This man might be right....".

I can't force my opinion on anyone, nor would I if I could. Yet, I can introduce you to logic. Logically, we as logical concious indivduals, should not be forced into a viewpoint with which we disagree. Yet, we believe anything a minority controlled leadership has to tell us. It would almost seem as if we are experiencing "Reverse Evolution", in which we digress from the superior human the the babbling chimp.

Have a Nice Day.

This is the type of situation that disgusts me. Rush Limbaugh has his own independent opinion, and announces it to millions and millions of people via Television.

thats exactly right.

and the US citizens used their influence to react to that opinion. if rush wants to sit on the street corner and questions blacks atheletes abilities, he has every right to do so. but he does not have a right to work on tv, its a privalege granted by an employer. the employer is at the mercy of its audience, and obviously the audience didnt like it. so it damaged the employer and rush left.

simple as that.

i dont know why people who say stupid things think its a right to get to a wide audience. it isnt. its a right to speak,and if lots of people agree, they will find you.

sirriff

• 3 weeks later...

You all speak as if you know Rush Limbaugh or listen to him on the radio regularly. I'd say from the sound of it, all you people know of Rush is what you're told by those on the left who absolutely despise his influence.

By the way, Rush never said McNabb sucks because he's black or any other RACIST statement. He did make a RACIAL statement by saying that McNabb is celebrated and given more credit that he deserves because the media wishes to see a black quarterback succeed. It was more a commentary about the media than it was about McNabb. And besides, he was right. All you have to do is look at the stats. As quarterback, he is ranked 31 out of 33 in the leauge in passing yards. While his defense on the othed hand is ranked in the top 5. It pretty clear that this guy is mediocre at best.

Liberals in this country have lowered the level of discourse so far that they are willling to completely destroy people they don't agree with. Liberals are always preaching tolerence while at the same time using dispicable tactics to silence those they disagree with at any cost. You Democrats today are a new breed. The Robert Kennedy's, FDRs, and Scoop Jacksons have got to be rolling in their graves.

Yeah, he was as right as a left turn you bigot!

You right wingers can never confess to your own demons, the reasons for everything wrong for you guys is because the leftist media made you do it or whatever bolony you like to tell.

Was it the leftist media that lost nearly 3 million jobs since Bush took office?

Was it the leftist media that helped GWB record the largest Federal Deficit in History, surpassing his father's record and not to mention, inherited the largest federal surpluss from Clinton, was it leftist media that had NO exit strategy in Iraq?

I don't believe this. Read my last paragraph liberal. You actually went out of your way to prove my point. You have just attacked my character because you disagree with my views. Tolerent my ass.

This is exactly the reason why your party is in complete shambles. You comdemn and demonize everything and every one on the right yet you offer no solutions of your own. Typical liberal demagoguery.

And stop regurgitating this liberal crap about the biggest deficit in history. The current deficit as a percentage of GDP, which anybody in a freshman ecomonics course will tell you, does not even come close to the largest in history. Listen closely smartness, you cannot compare 2003 dollars with 1990 dollars or 1980 dollars, OK? Get this through you thick skull.

i dont know why people who say stupid things think its a right to get to a wide audience. it isnt. its a right to speak,and if lots of people agree, they will find you.

This is exaclty why Rush is sydicated on 600 radio stations nation wide and has an audience of roughly 20 million listeners. And this is also why liberals are totally unable to compete in the free market realm of radio broadcasting.

Liberals in this country have lowered the level of discourse so far that they are willling to completely destroy people they don't agree with. Liberals are always preaching tolerence while at the same time using dispicable tactics to silence those they disagree with at any cost.

I fear you're confused. If you want to point fingers, aim them at the shrill army of neoconservative pundits that fill the airwaves of the so-called "liberal" media. Like Ann Coulter, whose book "Slander" was itself so filled with fabrications, half-truths, personal attacks and outtright lies that you could make a career out of ripping it to pieces (oh wait: someone has.). Like Bill O'Reilly, who censored the son of one of the victims of 9-11 for signing the "Not In Our Name" petition:

O'REILLY: You are mouthing a far left position that is a marginal position in this society, which you're entitled to.

GLICK: It's marginal -- right.

O'REILLY: You're entitled to it, all right, but you're -- you see, even -- I'm sure your beliefs are sincere, but what upsets me is I don't think your father would be approving of this.

GLICK: Well, actually, my father thought that Bush's presidency was illegitimate.

O'REILLY: Maybe he did, but...

GLICK: I also didn't think that Bush...

O'REILLY: ... I don't think he'd be equating this country as a terrorist nation as you are.

GLICK: Well, I wasn't saying that it was necessarily like that.

O'REILLY: Yes, you are. You signed...

GLICK: What I'm saying is...

O'REILLY: ... this, and that absolutely said that.

GLICK: ... is that in -- six months before the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan, starting in the Carter administration and continuing and escalating while Bush's father was head of the CIA, we recruited a hundred thousand radical mujahadeens to combat a democratic government in Afghanistan, the Turaki government.

O'REILLY: All right. I don't want to...

GLICK: Maybe...

O'REILLY: I don't want to debate world politics with you.

GLICK: Well, why not? This is about world politics.

O'REILLY: Because, No. 1, I don't really care what you think.

GLICK: Well, OK.

O'REILLY: You're -- I want to...

GLICK: But you do care because you...

O'REILLY: No, no. Look...

GLICK: The reason why you care is because you evoke 9/11...

O'REILLY: Here's why I care.

GLICK: ... to rationalize...

O'REILLY: Here's why I care...

GLICK: Let me finish. You evoke 9/11 to rationalize everything from domestic plunder to imperialistic aggression worldwide.

O'REILLY: OK. That's a bunch...

GLICK: You evoke sympathy with the 9/11 families.

O'REILLY: That's a bunch of crap. I've done more for the 9/11 families by their own admission -- I've done more for them than you will ever hope to do.

GLICK: OK.

O'REILLY: So you keep your mouth shut when you sit here exploiting those people.

GLICK: Well, you're not representing me. You're not representing me.

O'REILLY: And I'd never represent you. You know why?

GLICK: Why?

O'REILLY: Because you have a warped view of this world and a warped view of this country.

And Rush himself, the pill-head who railed against drug addicts, the multiple divorcee who espoused "family values" and never missed a chance to befoul the character of anyone he disagreed with by stooping to the lowest personal attacks.

This is exaclty why Rush is sydicated on 600 radio stations nation wide and has an audience of roughly 20 million listeners. And this is also why liberals are totally unable to compete in the free market realm of radio broadcasting.

You neocons really need to get your messaging straight. See, I was under the impression that the media was controlled by liberals. So how is it that Rush and his ilk are so successful if there's such an overwhelming bias against conservative voices?

Ocham's Razor has us look for the simplest solution. In this case, it's that the "liberal media" is a myth, a bogey-man invented by conservatives to hide behind, even as they continue to assert the dominance of right-wing voices in the mainstream media.

aim them at the shrill army of neoconservative pundits that fill the airwaves of the so-called "liberal" media

Look, you can believe what you like but the reality is that the mainstream television and print media, which are by far the primary means of decimination, have an undeniable liberal slant. Some liberal news personalities admit this while the vast majority live in a state of denial. Bill Oreilly and Fox News are an aberation in television news media. Radio broadcasting, unlike liberal controlled network television, operates in a free market environment, meaning that sydicators will air what ever brings in ratings regardless of ideology. The list of failed liberal talk shows is long and distinguished. Consevatives dominate the internet, again, because it is a free market for ideas. The traditional liberal establishment controls 90% of newspapers in the America, a trend that has been unchanged for 50 years. Papers such as the Washington Times and the Wall Street Journal are some of the few exceptions. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but is irratates the hell out of me day after day to see opinions from the op-ed sections bleed into the news pages.

You, as a partisan liberal, are simply unable to see the bias because from your perpective, you consider your views, which are vastly represented in the mainstream media, to be the "mainstream" of political thought in this country. In fact, your views, represented by the mainstream press, are far to the left from that of most Americans. This also serves a dual purpose of appearing to marginalize conservative views.

But, these trends are rapidly changing as Americans realize that the news reported by the mainstream press is often inaccurate. This is highlighted by decreased network new viewership, and decreased subscriptions to liberal slanting newspapers. Accompanying this trend is the tremendous growth of Fox News and radio talk shows, and successful internet newpapers such as World Net Daily which are alternative sources of information.

Don't be so arrogant as to tell me I'm "confused" and that I'm seeing a phantom, because it's you who can't properly determine where your views fit on the political spectrum.

Look, you can believe what you like but the reality is that the mainstream television and print media, which are by far the primary means of decimination, have an undeniable liberal slant.

Sorry snookums. Your "reality" is way off.Click.

But hey! Don't let the facts get in the way of a good paranoid rant.

You, as a partisan liberal, are simply unable to see the bias because from your perpective, you consider your views, which are vastly represented in the mainstream media, to be the "mainstream" of political thought in this country. In fact, your views, represented by the mainstream press, are far to the left from that of most Americans. This also serves a dual purpose of appearing to marginalize conservative views.

Au contraire. I recognize (indeed, am proud to say) that my views are quite left of the mainstream here in Canada and even beyond that of the States. What I see is an increasing trend towards the centralization of media power in the hands of a small group of individuals and megacorporations. Ten multinational corporations own virtually all broadcast, internet, or print media in the US—General Electric, Viacom, AOL/Time Warner, Disney, AT&T, News Corp, Liberty, Sony, Bertelsmann, and Vivendi. Now, that doesn't make these media outlets conservative, per se, but what are the odds of CBS launching into a serious criticism of G.O.P policies, when it's mothercorporation is one of the biggestv recipients of government largesse through its massive defense contracts? Slim. Very slim. Indeed, even the most cursory comparson of the media coverage of the last two presidents shows the undeniable conservative slant. Clinton was vilified, hounded and almost driven out by a right-wing backed media establishment, the same establishment that has handled Bush with kid gloves (though that seems to be shifting somewhat).

Don't be so arrogant as to tell me I'm "confused" and that I'm seeing a phantom, because it's you who can't properly determine where your views fit on the political spectrum.

As I said abopve, I recognize where I'm coming from. It seems you suffer from the same malady that you accuse me of: you believe your views are indicitive of the mainstream and are unable to acknowledge that your own bias colors your interpretation. Of course, as William Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard and former Chief of Staff for Dan Quayle said:

"I admit it: the liberal media were never that powerful, and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures."

Blackdog,

If you think there's no left wing bias in the media based on information from a 1998 report generated by an academic and an undated, off hand, out of context comment by a political commentator, I suggest you read the up-to-date information at the following sites/reports:

The Fraser Institute's October 2003 report, entitled "Freedom in the Press", has several chapters on how media bias shapes the news:

http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared/readm...?sNav=pb&id=583

CanStats Bulletins frequently tracks media mis-reporting due to liberal bias.

http://www.canstats.org/bulletins.asp

For instance, this short article in CanStats Bulletins is a perfect example of how CBC mis-reported the events surrounding the California recall based on left wing editorial bias:

http://www.canstats.org/readdetail.asp?id=584

October 8, 2003 The CBC’s War on California

Ongoing tracking of inaccuracies in media due to left wing bias in the USA:

http://www.aim.org/

AND

http://www.mrc.org/

The upcoming Reagan hit piece produced by CBS is but one example that illustrates the intensifying nature of liberal media bias as those in contol become increasingly desperate as they see their power slipping away. This particular example shows that not only does their bias penatrate news reporting, but also Hollyweird and entertainment.

Polls show that journalists in the news media vote overwhelmingling for democratic cadidates, some 85% percent. Its ridiculas to assume that these people possess a level of objectivity that prevents their bias views from bleeding into their reporting. The radicalized nature of Hollyweird is self-evident.

Conservative television and radio broadcasters, unlike liberals, do not attempt to conceal their political leanings. And in fact they understand that it is impossible for them to be completely objective in reporting and analysing news. This is why conservatives in media are more apt to provide balance to their own views and consequently, this is what Americans find so refreshing about "new" media such as Fox News and conservative talk radio.

As I said abopve, I recognize where I'm coming from. It seems you suffer from the same malady that you accuse me of: you believe your views are indicitive of the mainstream and are unable to acknowledge that your own bias colors your interpretation.

I never implied that my views were indicative of the "mainstream". I am simply decrying that fact that because liberals in the media portray themsleves as moderate, it has the effect of marginalizing conervatives. In other words, liberal try to shift the politcal spectrum so that liberals appear moderate and conservatives appear in the margin. While certainly a conservative by definition is not moderate, the typical conservative sit much closer to the middle than the average modern liberal.

as William Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard and former Chief of Staff for Dan Quayle said:

"I admit it: the liberal media were never that powerful, and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures." 

Bill Kristol is a brilliant conservative, and while he has never denied the existence of liberal bias, I disagree with this statement.