Photo ID for Voters

The way it stands now has always been a loophole in the Elections Act that was open to abuse.

As the law sits now somebody can walk into any polling station. Claim to live in the riding and be sworn in to vote. No iD required. IIRC Elections Canada workers at polling stations can't ask for ID....

How come I had to produce ID when I voted? Is it because I voted early?

Elections Canada uses a lot of temporary help who aren't always aware of the rules.

You could have made a big deal about it. Not many people who aren't really into politics are aware of the rules.

By law you didn't have to show ID.

Good thread topic, Dobbin.

I have to show photo ID for the city election in Winnipeg tomorrow.

I've got a better idea. Purple, indelible ink on a finger.

When Canadians vote, they should dip their thumb in ink that lasts for a day or two.

First, this would show to others around the world that we are a democracy. (I'd make plain that the ballot was secret and anonymous before getting the ink. The inkpot could be behind the booth. Voters dip their own thumb.)

Second, if Canada did this, we'd share solidarity with other democracies around the world.

Third, the symbol of democracy - a symbol of status if other rich countries did as Canada - would become a raised purple finger or just a purple finger.

Fourth, everyone (family, neighbours, friends, colleagues, anonymous people in the street) would know whether you voted in the election. This would shame people into voting. Voter turn out rates would rise. We'd all know whether you believed in democracy.

Fifth, you couldn't vote twice.

We wear poppies on November 11. We should have purple thumbs for a day or so after an election.

I've got a better idea. Purple, indelible ink on a finger.

When Canadians vote, they should dip their thumb in ink that lasts for a day or two.

First, this would show to others around the world that we are a democracy. (I'd make plain that the ballot was secret and anonymous before getting the ink. The inkpot could be behind the booth. Voters dip their own thumb.)

Second, if Canada did this, we'd share solidarity with other democracies around the world.

Third, the symbol of democracy - a symbol of status - would be a raised purple finger.

Fourth, everyone (family, neighbours, friends, colleagues) would know whether you voted in the election. This would shame people into voting.

Fifth, you couldn't vote twice.

We wear poppies on November 11. We should have purple thumbs for a day or so after an election.

Do you think there are a lot of people who vote more than once?

I don't mind the photo ID. That makes sense. I just don't know about the ink.

Dunno. But why are they checking the photo ID?

Anyway, that's not really my point.

If voters in a sophisticated, rich country like Canada have purple fingers, then voters elsewhere in the world can take double pride in their fingers too.

I don't mind the photo ID. That makes sense. I just don't know about the ink.

I think the ink is a bad idea. Photo IDs are a good idea, but it is more symbolic than anything. No real fears of many people voting twice, still there were six ridings in the last election won by less than 250 votes. Wouldn't take 'a lot' of people to influence the outcome in those ridings.

The thumb ink is good in new democracies and helps prove the legitimacy of the election process. Canada is a first-world nation. The integrity of our elections is never seriously called into question.

Part of the rights in a democracy is the right not to vote. People shouldn't be 'shamed' into voting. If they don't want to vote that should be their choice.

Dunno. But why are they checking the photo ID?

Anyway, that's not really my point.

If voters in a sophisticated, rich country like Canada have purple fingers, then voters elsewhere in the world can take double pride in their fingers too.

The reason the city of Winnipeg is doing it is because people often don't come to vote because they don't have their voters card. They'd like people to show so long as they have photo ID and an address.

How many countries have purple fingers except the ones where democracy was imposed?

I think the ink is a bad idea. Photo IDs are a good idea, but it is more symbolic than anything. No real fears of many people voting twice, still there were six ridings in the last election won by less than 250 votes. Wouldn't take 'a lot' of people to influence the outcome in those ridings.

The thumb ink is good in new democracies and helps prove the legitimacy of the election process. Canada is a first-world nation. The integrity of our elections is never seriously called into question.

If voting twice is not the fear, then why check the photo ID?

Ricki, you don't seem to get my points. What better way to encourage new democracies and the legitimacy of the election process than to adopt the same procedure in Canada?

And when you bought a coffee at Tim Horton's, everyone would know that you voted.

A purple finger held aloft is now a symbol of democracy.

Ricki, you don't seem to get my points. What better way to encourage new democracies and the legitimacy of the election process than to adopt the same procedure in Canada?

And when you bought a coffee at Tim Horton's, everyone would know that you voted.

A purple finger held aloft is now a symbol of democracy.

You think the voters card is sufficient?

I think proof of citizenship is a good place to start. You don't even need a voters card if you have some utilities bills and stuff. Such BS. I can promise you that there are many areas in Canada where many non-Canadians vote (there was a yankee reporter that did this, no?)... why wouldn't they, they'd never get caught or questioned.

What about all those people registered to their office buildings in downtown Edmonton to get landslide Annie in?

There is alot of questionable stuff happening in Canada at elections, I think mandatory proof of citizenship (equal to applying to the RCMP or military) is not an unreasonable thing to ask for.

If your too lazy or bothered to find your birth certificate then I'd rather you not vote.

I guess you could vote in a different riding from where you live. And I suppose non-Canadians could vote too although Geoff notes that we could check for citizenship as well as residency papers.

Wherever you vote, and whatever your status, a purple finger would eliminate the chance of voting twice. But far more important, I think it would do much else in Canada and around the world.

Like wearing a poppy, I think many Canadians would be proud to have a purple finger.

I guess you could vote in a different riding from where you live. And I suppose non-Canadians could vote too although Geoff notes that we could check for citizenship as well as residency papers.

Wherever you vote, and whatever your status, a purple finger would eliminate the chance of voting twice. But far more important, I think it would do much else in Canada and around the world.

Like wearing a poppy, I think many Canadians would be proud to have a purple finger.

I'm ok with the purple finger. It'd be kind of neat.

Though voting might become a fashion trend and turnout would increase. I, unlike most in this thread apparently, dislike higher turnouts. It should be a burden to vote, then we only have the most informed and interested out voting. If the cool thing is to have a purple finger, then all the uninformed would wear it like the latest Gucci.

The way it stands now has always been a loophole in the Elections Act that was open to abuse.

As the law sits now somebody can walk into any polling station. Claim to live in the riding and be sworn in to vote. No iD required. IIRC Elections Canada workers at polling stations can't ask for ID....

The local verger is one of the election officials at my polling station.....I wave and say, How's it going eh?

Some people do wind up voting twice, or on multiple lists anyway, and there have long been suggestions that immigrants have been voting when they have no right to do so.

Could I come to vote in a Canadian election that way?