AIDS conference delegates claim refugee status

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ds-refugee.html

There are 40 million of people suffering from AIDs in world - all of who are subject to some form of persecution because of they live in poorer societies. According to the refugee rules we should accept every last one of them. I am tired of this hypocracy where we allow selected individuals who are able to access a lottery ticket like an invitation to an international conferance to jump the immigration queue and claim refugee status. It makes a mockery of our immigration system and the thousands people who immigrate here by following the rules.

I remember a few years back a wealthy Hong Kong business magnate wanted to move to Canada. He was denied entry because of health problems even though he was willing to sign a promise to pay all of his own medical expenses. Yet we think nothing of committing to pay millions of dollars for the medical costs of people who would not likely qualify to immigrate even if they were not sick. Immigration is not a way to bring social justice to world - it only exists because it benefits Canadians who are already here.

I don't know why Canada had gotten into this corner when suddenly it is the mecca for all those who need medical help and social assistance. World-wide!

It remind me of those very old cartoon that showed a raft in the middle of the lake and all the hordes of drowning rats trying to clamber on it. Of course the raft eventually submerged. Everyone ended up in the water.

It was totally foreseeable that a number of the conference attendee's would show a desire to stay here in Canada. Many of these refugees are HIV+ and the countries where they are from do not have the drugs and for many where the drugs sre available, many can not afford them. So having them come to Canada for a conference, and then see that here we do not have the stigma associated with aids that many other countries have, they would be crazy not to want to stay here. The problem though is the costs to Canadians will be very high and lets face it, those with HIV+ are not going to be long term contributors to our system.

The 140 people now wanting to remain in Canada will put approx $14,000,000.00 burden on the people who pay taxes. This is like forcing us to donate this money to the cause, and that while morally compelling, it is not something we should have to burden ourselves with. I believe that Canada would do itself a big favour in denying them refugee status, as the aids conference was not and should not be a medical payday for those who believe it is they right to stay here. Once we start letting this happen there will be millions more just waiting to do the same.

I'll venture to propose a solution: create a list of countries which are considered "stable" (but not necessarily safe). The only way to apply for a refugee status from a stable country is to submit application locally, in that country (kind of like immigration). Anyone else who sneaked in here for any reason whatsoever and tries to claim gets a one way ticket back (Canada's courtesy), instantly. It'll be fair to real refugees (who have one heck in the hell to buy a ticket here) and to the taxpayers of this country.

Wait till the Olympics comes and there are a whole new group of refugees.

The Conservative government approved all of the visas for people who travelled to the conference. If people want to place blame, place it there.

Just listening to the flatulence concerning Harper's failure to attend the conference, imagine the sulphorous outcry if he denied visas?

They interviewed this guy representing the refugee-claimants on CTV Newsnet yesterday. The anchorguy ask about his comment regarding the outrage among Canadians about this people jumping the line!

The guy said: I don't know what the outrage is all about. This group is just a very small percentage...and Ontarion will not shoulder everything.

Duh. He must mean, a small percentage in the first load!

Anyway, explaining what they have to go through....such as he has to show them how and where to get social assistance they can access right now WHILE WAITING FOR THEIR REFUGEEE STATUS HEARING, which could take up to 8 months of waiting....means, we're already footing the bill somehow!

It makes me very angry indeed, of this unfairness towards those who had contributed and given their productive years for this country.

I am still blistering from the fact that simple free eye check-ups had been nixed by the government...when this should be part of a simple routine. Everybody needs this!

Those elderlies...and a lot of them have not retired with good income...struggle to make ends meet. These folks had worked to support the system! And yet here they are, denied a simple medical check-up they need to keep on enjoying life independently...and yet we encourage, support and provide for just about anyone other than those who had made some contributions!

I will start supporting all these herculean effort at helping everyone off the face of this earth.....after we've ensured that our very own are all well taken cared of.

Charity begins at home!