Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land

This is an excellent video on a complicated subject - media bias in the coverage in the Middle East. Partisans will no doubt slam it for the inclusion of so-called 'liberals' like Chomsky - what should be made clear is that this is a academic exercise.

As thinking persons, watch it and decide yourself.

While sometimes highbrow, it does speak a great deal on an aspect of the conflict that is near-taboo to mention in North America. For many, it will be eye-opening - since honest discussions of the conflict in context are not typically seen by North American audiences.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...e+Promised+Land

This is an excellent video on a complicated subject - media bias in the coverage in the Middle East. Partisans will no doubt slam it for the inclusion of so-called 'liberals' like Chomsky - what should be made clear is that this is a academic exercise.

As thinking persons, watch it and decide yourself.

While sometimes highbrow, it does speak a great deal on an aspect of the conflict that is near-taboo to mention in North America. For many, it will be eye-opening - since honest discussions of the conflict in context are not typically seen by North American audiences.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...e+Promised+Land

It looks like quite a lot of people are watching it. It is taking forever to load. Who commissioned it?

This is how the New York Times describes this documentary:

This pro-Palestinian documentary attempts to prosecute Israel in the court of U.S. public opinion, with a condensed argument that blames Ariel Sharon, Israel's prime minister, for his allegedly aggressive tactics and the U.S. news media for its allegedly misled viewpoints. Whether or not the film convinceingly casts Mr. Sharon as the decisive destabilizer, viewers will have no doubts that the region is seriously, murderously out of balance. The tough-talking documentary is helmed by Sut Jhally, a professor of communications at the University of Massachusetts, and other academics and advocates come on camera to complain that Palestinians are largely ignored, mischaracterized or even demonized in American broadcast reports. The lack of sympathy is described in conspiratorial terms as the masterstroke of Israeli image-makers...

I suspect this documentary says alot more about the US Left's perceptions of the US media than it does about Palestinians.

Just finished watching it. Good peice for sure. It also does alot more than talk about the news media. But if you don't consider the news media an important peice in the whole government/military propaganda machine, then you really are just going along for the ride.

It talks plenty of the Palestinians. On that same argument, August1991, why doesnt the main stream american press talk about the Palestinian victims? Even in Canadian MSM, it is the same way. And that PR support of Israel by our Prime Minister just adds to what this film is getting at. Wake up and read more. Do not take what is given to you at face value, if something does not look or feel right to you about what is givin to you. Ask the damn questions. If you don't get them in one spot, go to another.

why doesnt the main stream american press talk about the Palestinian victims?

:rolleyes:

You serious?

Very serious actually. This documentary shows just that. Show me MSM articles that talk about the Palestinians plight in an un biased light and then I will eat my words.

Correction .. Show me AMERICAN MSM article hat talk about the Palestinians plight in an un biased light and then I will eat my words.

With the Lebanon issue, I haven't heard anything about the innocent Israeli victims to be honest. Press coverage in this case is definitely overwelmingly pro-Lebanon at least from CanWest and CBC.

I have been watching CBC and they have reported the death toll on both sides, last I checked I think it was 2 dozen or so Israelis and 300 or so Lebanese. I have not seen anything more in-depth about the victims than that, so how is it imbalanced?

With the Lebanon issue, I haven't heard anything about the innocent Israeli victims to be honest. Press coverage in this case is definitely overwelmingly pro-Lebanon at least from CanWest and CBC.

I have been watching CBC and they have reported the death toll on both sides, last I checked I think it was 2 dozen or so Israelis and 300 or so Lebanese. I have not seen anything more in-depth about the victims than that, so how is it imbalanced?

Actually, 2 kidnapped israelis = 300 death, +1000 wounded and countless deportations.

Looks like lebaneses stocks are pretty low at wallstreet vs the israelis stocks...

Actually, 2 kidnapped israelis = 300 death, +1000 wounded and countless deportations.

Looks like lebaneses stocks are pretty low at wallstreet vs the israelis stocks...

Last time I checked, hezbollah was still launching rockets, so how can you only count the 2 israeli soldiers (not to mentioned the 8 that were killed) and not the dozens that have died since? If we're talking about total deaths, then I believe my numbers are more or less accurate. If we are talking only about the initial deaths/kidnappings in this conflict as you have done, then it's actually 10 israelis to 0 lebanese.

Dear August1991,

This is how the New York Times describes this documentary:

This pro-Palestinian documentary attempts to prosecute Israel in the court of U.S. public opinion

Gee, the NYT (and the 'main stream media) has been accused on this forum of being blatantly 'leftist', to the point of treason. A load of poppycock, I say, but where does this rating leave them? Obviously, to the right of anything that might suggest that the Palestinians have been wronged in any way, and therefore imples that they bear sole blame for any conflict or loss of life in the entire region, in the past, in the present, and in perpetuity.

I disagree with that.

Gee, the NYT (and the 'main stream media) has been accused on this forum of being blatantly 'leftist', to the point of treason. A load of poppycock, I say, but where does this rating leave them?
Uh, that was the point of choosing a NYT review.

I figured that if the NYT described the doc as pro-Palestinian, then God knows what Fox News would say.

I watched the start of it and realized that like many American docs, it was primarily about America.

I have seen good docs about the intricacies and stages of the Lebanese Civil War. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict usually winds up being two docs intermeshed: "They are all wrong and we are going to push them into the sea." "If anybody tries to take my land, I'll kill them."

Gee, the NYT (and the 'main stream media) has been accused on this forum of being blatantly 'leftist', to the point of treason. A load of poppycock, I say, but where does this rating leave them?
Uh, that was the point of choosing a NYT review.

I figured that if the NYT described the doc as pro-Palestinian, then God knows what Fox News would say.

I have seen good docs about the intricacies and stages of the Lebanese Civil War. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict usually winds up being two docs intermeshed: "They are all wrong and we are going to push them into the sea." "If anybody tries to take my land, I'll kill them."

Glad to see it has people talking.

If you actually watch it, perhaps you can formulate your own opinion. I find thats usually the best way to digest something - first hand. If you rely on an interloculator, you always pick up some of their inherient bias. As your quote suggests, the NYT is far from 'left-wing' on Israel. In fact, it's lock-step with all the mainstream media. So, does that perhaps suggest a pro-Israeli bias in the media?

You seem to have missed that, most obvious, conclusion.

I watched the start of it and realized that like many American docs, it was primarily about America.

Welcome to the new century - America is the modern Rome, if you will. Time to adjust to that.

Glad to see it has people talking.
Are you one of those PR-types who believes "It doesn't matter what people say about me as long as they spell my name right"?

Well he is no mAnne Coulter, but I would say yes. And I am glad people are talking too. Learning what both sides report. You all get your new media fitlered and slanted bias and everything is worded to support Israel. From Israeili civilians getting killed, rocket attacks, suicide bombings. Always it is portrayed that Israel is the victim when there are more victims in Lebanon right now. But American MSM and Canadian MSM(from what I have noticed recently) cleary slant things to make Israel look like the good guys. Wrong.