Canadian media trying their best to bury Harper.

It's funny listening to the big lib media in Canada trying their best to bury Harper.

What to you makes more of a newsworthy story?

"Montreal Woman Blames Harper For Her Family Dying"

or,

"Montreal Widow Announces: "Hezbollah is our protector"

Which way would you spin the story? Make an unfounded Harper attack based of sour grapes? Or a real, more serious issue that we have a woman in Canada who has been let into our great land only to support Hezbollah, an Islmaic terrorist organization.

Naturally, the media made an issue out of Harpers late response (despite the fact that France, USA, and Canada had their ships arrive on the same day).

Also, a controversy has been made over Harpers phrase of 'measured attack'. A few people got offended in Montreal. However, the CBC radio IS STILL till this very afternoon making this a major issue anbd asking each panalist their opinion on the word 'measured'.

Even Jack Layton didn't think much of that. But the CBC! Look out! They are on the spin to destroy Harper.

Maybe THAT'S the reason why Harper doesn't talk to the media.

(use your head).

Regardless of the media, Harper is the 'peoples champ' right now.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radio-Canada in Alberta announced that 42% of Canadians were upset at the Harper response!! It's a sign that he's doing a bad job.

Doesn't mention the other 58% that think he didn't do a bad job. :)

I don't know why I listen to French radio, it couldn't be more liberal friendly out here.

The CBC long for their Liberal handlers.

The media is fighting a rear-guard action. Personally, I go to the forums for the real story. I use the main stream media for the headlines knowing full well, that it will have a bias, and indeed may be even outright propaganda.

Most of the forums use the main stream media for supplying the particular topic for discussion. Seldom is a story created outside the main stream media. People are conditioned to think, that the media are capable of supplying news of interest, which I believe eventually will simply not be the case.

The main stream media still has tremendous power to inform or more likely mis-inform, or at least decide what the masses should be exposed to. Many stories are begging for an answer to an obvious question that arise in a reader's mind, but is simply ignored. Hence, the forums.

I find it is possible to learn more from a good forum than from the main-line media about most specific stories.

After that ramble. Harper is doing a good job, even though I didn't vote for the party.

Durgan.

The main stream media still has tremendous power to inform or more likely mis-inform, or at least decide what the masses should be exposed to. Many stories are begging for an answer to an obvious question that arise in a reader's mind, but is simply ignored. Hence, the forums.

I find it is possible to learn more from a good forum than from the main-line media about most specific stories.

After that ramble. Harper is doing a good job, even though I didn't vote for the party.

Durgan.

Durgan,

Agree with you 100%. That's why I'm here.

To learn. I learn more from (most)people here regardless of their politics ....except those that feel it's necessary to linger off topic.

Main media is getting what it deserves from Harper....nothing.

You didn't vote for Harper's party,but will all of this Lebanon stuff change your mind in the next election?

-CES

The CBC long for their Liberal handlers.

They worry, correctly IMHO that a majority CPC government may limit CBC's role to Upper Gopherhole, Saskatchewan.

By the way, I had a part in causing the shutdown of www.cbc.ca/forums. Me and a Canadian real estate broker sourced an adverse National Post article. PM me for the PDF (will send via e-mail).

The Conservatives are now in charge. They can get rid of the CBC. Why don't they?

It has a place drastically reformed. Where else would I practice my French in Calgary besides arguing with the radio on the way home?

Not to mention, the average voter could be swayed to think negatively of a government that killed hockey night in Canada.

It has a place drastically reformed. Where else would I practice my French in Calgary besides arguing with the radio on the way home?

Not to mention, the average voter could be swayed to think negatively of a government that killed hockey night in Canada.

Even some CBC supporters are saying they should get rid of TV commercials and sports.

What to you makes more of a newsworthy story?

"Montreal Woman Blames Harper For Her Family Dying"

or,

"Montreal Widow Announces: "Hezbollah is our protector"

Those are both positive to Harper.

The ridiculousness of your perceived bias is stunning. You're basically complaining because you're not seeing rightwing bias. I read the news and watch TV, and I've seen in both mediums that woman saying Hezbollah is a protector. It's not being missed. You complain that it's not the headline.

Making the title about the woman blaming Harper is not negative to him, that's actually the most newsworthy piece of information. And what does the average Canadian think when they read that? Even those of us who think Harper had a big mouth last Friday and has the wrong attitude in general about the conflict recognize that such an accusation has no credibility and the woman loses credibility by making it.

Crying about bias over that shows a lack of understanding of people and attitudes

I've seen a lot in the last few days (including CBC, btw) about Harper flying people back from Cyprus and how it's being painted as a humanitarian gesture and how he's stayed on the tarmac to avoid any perceptions of a photo op.

It never ceases to amaze how the rightwing complains about bias if they don't see enough bias to the right. Straight-up news makes them cry about bias!

And what is the "big lib media" in Canada, btw? Would that be SunMedia? BellGlobe media? Winnipeg Free Press? National Post? Talk Radio? CTV? Stop me when I get to it... :)

I would love to see them try. That would be the end of the CPC.

Right now it the death by a thousand cuts. I support the CBC but has suffered under both Liberal and Conservative governments.

The Conservatives cancelled a widesweeping review that might have helped focus the CBC on what it should and what it could do to become a better network. In my opinion, that would be to restore their one hour local news across Canada and to have a 11:00 local news restored as well.

And what is the "big lib media" in Canada, btw? Would that be SunMedia? BellGlobe media? Winnipeg Free Press? National Post? Talk Radio? CTV? Stop me when I get to it... :)

I think the media is guilty of being lazy a lot of the time. I don't know about other regions but take a look at this site:

http://blackrod.blogspot.com/

It exposes the "crappy" reporting in Manitoba across several media platforms. The focus is on quality reporting rather than politics but politics plays a role.

This Blackrod site has its good qualities, but a 'Blog' is just a one-man-band and can't hope to approach the fairness, responsibility and intelligence of a forums like MapleLeafWeb. I dislike the word 'blog' as it strikes me as a goofy word that MSM uses to discount the threat of new media upon them.

This Blackrod site has its good qualities, but a 'Blog' is just a one-man-band and can't hope to approach the fairness, responsibility and intelligence of a forums like MapleLeafWeb. I dislike the word 'blog' as it strikes me as a goofy word that MSM uses to discount the threat of new media upon them.

I agree that the blogs are just one point of view. But it is one more outlet to assess what is happening out there.

I wish there were some sites like that one for national media. If anyone knows of something like that in Toronto, I'd be happy to hear it.

As for bulletin boards/forums like this, the limitations are that they are not really news oriented and often re-inforce previously held beliefs about something. I can honestly say that a site like Blackrod has forced me to re-examine a news story and change my thinking on it.

Regardless of the media, Harper is the 'peoples champ' right now.

Huh? What purpose does Harper serve anyway. He literally just repeats whatever Blair and Bush say, effectively reducing himself to the lapdog status of John Howard in Australia.

There was a protestor in Edmonton a couple days ago who had a sign: It was a picture of a miniaturized Harper sitting on Geroge Bushs shoulder with the caption, "Harper needs a cracker!" That pretty much says it all.

The absolute failure of Harper to present any sort of plan for a solution to this crisis is pathetic. He should be at the UN calling for immediate aid to lebanese refugees and for an end to the indiscriminate bombing on both sides. He should be a neutral leader, not a mere parrot of US and Israeli militancy. It makes me wonder why he would even bother to say anything if he is only going to fall lock-step in line with the US on foreign policy issues. Seriously, why would he even bother with any statements whatsoever, he could just ask people to watch a theatrical white house news conference for Canadas position on international relations.

And you call him a champion of the people? How so? He is showing a total lack of leadership, a total disregard for international law and values, a total uncaring for the collective punishment being dished out by the Israelis, and he is a total failure in his first challenge in the face of international crisis. If anything he is revealing his true colors as a champion of failed american policy, and for that one has to wonder if he has any brains at all.

I say we need to consider getting rid of this maniac before Canada becomes totally irrelevent on the world stage. If not we might as well lower the flag and start pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, for all the difference it makes to be Canadian.

Andrew

I wish taxpayers wouldn't have to fund CBC anymore.

Yes, especially now that they have lowered themselves to the level of reality TV broadcasting. What a disgrace. Of course I bet the more the CBC produces 'programming for the stupid' the less conservatives would complain about it.

Speaking of taxes, i wish i didnt have to fund an army tasked to protect a buch of islamic religious wackos in Afghanistan.

The government of President Hamid Karzai said Tuesday that it will re-establish something like the Taliban religious police, which systematically banned education for girls, anything remotely like free expression, the employment of women, the trimming of beards by men, even card-playing and kite-flying. The price of such "vice" was often beating or summary imprisonment, sometimes worse.

The announcement was the latest of Karzai's efforts to mollify religious hardliners and some tribal leaders, all of them eager to reduce the authority of the central government and to slow or reverse the progress of dangerous ideas such as equality before the law.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...23-e841f10322a4

Why should my taxes go to fund these people? Fuck em' Id rather fund the CBC.

Andrew

You would still have to deal with the rest of the Liberal media.

You can ask the Conservatives to end protection of the media industry in Canada and let American companies buy TV, radio and newspapers. Then, Canadian television and radio and newspapers could be affilates of U.S. companies like FOX. Then news would be fair and balanced.

You can ask the Conservatives to end protection of the media industry in Canada and let American companies buy TV, radio and newspapers. Then, Canadian television and radio and newspapers could be affilates of U.S. companies like FOX. Then news would be fair and balanced.

Are you serious, or are you actually that ignorant?

Andrew

=

Huh? What purpose does Harper serve anyway. He literally just repeats whatever Blair and Bush say, effectively reducing himself to the lapdog status of John Howard in Australia.

Mindless blather. The Left seems highly indignant at any political leader who does not express their open hatred of George Bush (who, btw, I have scant regard for myself). So Blair, Howard and now Harper, because they happen to agree on certain things have to be labelled as "puppets". Absurd. Bush has no control over any of them nor do any of them garner any real political capital (quite the opposite) in supporting him. They support some of what he believes in because they also believe in it, because they are men of principle.

The absolute failure of Harper to present any sort of plan for a solution to this crisis is pathetic.
Hey, neither has the Pope! Neither has Lorne Calvert! Or David Miller! Where is Japan's plan? What about India's?

In other words, in what strange alternate reality do you come up with the idea that it is the job of Canada's prime minister to come up with solutions for middle east fighting?

He should be at the UN calling for immediate aid to lebanese refugees and for an end to the indiscriminate bombing on both sides.

Because that would be, like, real useful. It would probably not only end the fighting in Lebanon but all war forever. I mean, being how noble and righteous and downright holy Canada is. I mean, sure, scores of other world leaders have called for that, but if Harper does to it will REAllY COUNT!

He should be a neutral leader,

You can't be a leader and be neutral. Didn't that phrase confuse you when you read it?

not a mere parrot of US and Israeli militancy. It makes me wonder why he would even bother to say anything if he is only going to fall lock-step in line with the US on foreign policy issues.

And yet you just called for him to go to the UN and parrot what a bunch of people have already said. Would you like to explain that?

And you call him a champion of the people? How so? He is showing a total lack of leadership,

On the contrary. He is giving leadership. You just don't agree with his position. Saying wishy washy things which comes down in the middle of things is not exactly being a leader.

I say we need to consider getting rid of this maniac

So we can get someone who'll be, like, neutral, a neutral guy who doesn't ever take strong stands against one side or another, a real LEADER, eh? :rolleyes:

before Canada becomes totally irrelevent on the world stage.

Canada has been totally irrelevent on the world stage for a generation .What kind of dream world have you been living in?

The tories won't touch the CBC until they have a majority.

As to my desires, I'd like to see the CBC done away with, and stringent new ownership laws put in place which limit media ownership to no more than, oh, let's say 20% nationally, 10% provincially.

The Conservatives are now in charge. They can get rid of the CBC. Why don't they?

Becuase they don't have a majority gov't. If the house votes, they will vote against the PC's motion because all parties except the PC are very left wing and are more or less in bed with the CBC. It's also too soon to do drastic things like take away the brainwashing of the Canadian people.

I don't feel they should eliminate the CBC, but rather just fund it down to 200 million. The CBC can then decide where to cut the fat (ie: spending horrendous amounts of money on International correspondents to run 5 min radio clips of 'The Unmarried Pregnant Women in Sudan'. Or 'A Small Russian Town's Power Shortage.'