Harper's French

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/11072006/2/nati...e-thoughts.html

Interesting. And not surpising that he might like to get the tough part of news conference done first.

What is sad is that so many people in the west hate that he always begin in French. I wonder if they feel the same way about Dion starting his speeches in English.

Very funny. Some good quotes:

Harper was also asked about a recent news conference in Washington, where U.S. President George W. Bush surprised him by calling him "Steve," a diminutive used only by a few close friends.

"My mother doesn't like that, and I'm sure President Bush will be getting a letter," Harper said with a laugh.

"But I've been called a lot worse than that - including by people who say they like me."

As PM of Canada seeking votes in Ontario, he said this well:

Harper also said he saw no sign for concern over a recent comment by Quebec Premier Jean Charest that the province has the financial means to be an independent country. Sovereigntists took the remarks as a point for their cause, but Harper said he believes Charest remains a staunch supporter of Canadian unity and the comment might have been taken out of context.

"Truth of the matter is, if you get talking about Quebec's economy under separation, we don't know. Nobody knows," he said.

"What we do know is that Quebec and this entire country will be better off economically if we stay together. That's a certainty."

He's a good diplomat in English-Canada:

"Westerners know I'm from here, English-speaking people know I'm an anglophone, so we have to remind the other part of the country that I'm their prime minister, too, and they seem to appreciate it."

Harper also referred to French as Canada's first national language.

"We have to remember that the original word 'Canadian' meant the French-speaking inhabitants of North America, so it's our first national language. So I say it first and then I say it in English."

And this is sure to attract attention in Quebec:

Dave Rutherford told Harper that his listeners have complained about the way the prime minister starts all his news conferences in French.

"Because I'm not as proficient in French and English, I have to think much more carefully, in a much more structured sense, about what I'm going to say and how I'm going to answer questions, and it actually helps me in a press conference to do it that way," Harper explained.

Harper knows how to schmooze when he wants to.

What is sad is that so many people in the west hate that he always begin in French. I wonder if they feel the same way about Dion starting his speeches in English.

The problem is Dion is NOT the prime minister, Harper is.

Stehen Harper is showing a definite disdain for the majority language of Canada and a lack of respect concerning the history of Canada.

It is obvious Mr. Harper continues to pander to Quebec which is his choice but will be remembered by some Canadians come election day.

Stehen Harper is showing a definite disdain for the majority language of Canada and a lack of respect concerning the history of Canada.

It is obvious Mr. Harper continues to pander to Quebec which is his choice but will be remembered by some Canadians come election day.

Given that the choice is Harper or a real hater of English Canada, which would you prefer?

heh. I can't correct the typo in the header. Should read Harper.
Greg, the moderator can fix it if you ask him politely. "Report" the first post and explain the problem.

Reported it. Didn't realize I couldn't correct typos in titles until too late.

Guest Warwick Green
I'm an anglophone and I don't give a rat's patute which language he starts in as long as he uses both. Some people spend their whole lives looking for an excuse to be offended.

Halleluliah!! My feelings exactly. When people concern themselves about which language he starts with they don't have much in life to worry about.

I'm an anglophone and I don't give a rat's patute which language he starts in as long as he uses both. Some people spend their whole lives looking for an excuse to be offended.

Halleluliah!! My feelings exactly. When people concern themselves about which language he starts with they don't have much in life to worry about.

If it were as simple as you put it out to be I wouldn't give a damn either.

But after 139 years of disunity I would presume Mr. Harper would know better.

If he wishes to swallow hook, line and sinker all over again it's his choice and I will look for an alternative party. If all federal national parties still want to play the Quebec game then I will simply join the ranks of the disgruntled and simply not vote at all.

Guest Warwick Green

If he wishes to swallow hook, line and sinker all over again it's his choice and I will look for an alternative party. If all federal national parties still want to play the Quebec game then I will simply join the ranks of the disgruntled and simply not vote at all.

Our unity problems will be resolved if Harper speaks English first instead of English?

It is as simple as that. You just make it more complicated. It's the chicken or the egg. Have we had 139 years of disunity because we are so easily offended or are we so easily offended because we have had 139 years of disunity?

What, please tell me, is the "Quebec game"?

And as for disunity, within four score and seven years of founding the United States, the states were not united and were embroiled in a bloody civil war that killed millions and took a hundred years or so to put into the past.

Keep this all in perspective.

Our unity problems will be resolved if Harper speaks English first instead of English?

In reality there is no unity problems concerning all provinces of Canada excluding Quebec..

It is Quebec that is the continual source of rejecting Canada's Constitution, albeit their behavior has rubbed off on other provinces some demanding the political attention Quebec receives from the federal government.

This is despite our federal government making French an official language and creating and utilizing that language within the federal concept of ' federal official bilingualism' which in fact has distorted or slanted federal employment in favour of Quebec and it's minority French language with employment numbers that exceeds Quebec's fair share to federal employment which has diluted access to federal employment utilizing the majority language English concerning employment opportunities from all all other majority English Canadian provinces.

Changing our countries flag to accomodate Quebec.

Repatriating our Constitution to accomodate Quebec and adding special constitutional powers no other province has.

Giving it a multitude of federal programs and transfering federal real estate to the Quebec side including generous equalization payments and including being part of a free democratic country (which strangely it must take for granted) in which it chooses to discriminate against it's English minority.

With all of this Quebec still refuses to be officially part of Canada by NOT signing the Constitution of this country and continues to make an ass out of Canada.

And as for disunity, within four score and seven years of founding the United States, the states were not united and were embroiled in a bloody civil war that killed millions and took a hundred years or so to put into the past.

What is the Quebec game?

It's called constitutional blackmail.

Concerning the U.S. and their civil war .

They bit the bullet and called a spade a spade.

They are united and we are not.

In Canada their is NO excuse for the behavior exhibited by Quebec.

The ball is always in their court and if they had an ounce of fortitude they would have separated years ago but rather they choose to drag the country down with problems mainly caused by their own hand.

Canada has no legal obligation (as far as I know) to create or give Quebec a country.

This is ridiculous:

What is the Quebec game?

Re-defining your own ambiguous (Quebec game) term with a second nebulous (constitutional blackmail) term does not answer the question.

Can you explain what your terms "Quebec game" and "constitutional blackmail" mean with an actual explanation?

This is ridiculous:
What is the Quebec game?

Re-defining your own ambiguous (Quebec game) term with a second nebulous (constitutional blackmail) term does not answer the question.

Can you explain what your terms "Quebec game" and "constitutional blackmail" mean with an actual explanation?

For Quebec to hold a provincial referendum to separate from Canada is bad enough.

But to continue this procedure with no limit on how many times it can do this because of previous failure or failures to separate thus becomes a novelity or a game as each time it is federally rewarded some way to stay in Canada.

Since national federal parties are basically dysfunctional and helpless when Quebec (who has never signed the Constitution) continues to play this "Quebec game" the name "constitutional blackmail" is a very appropiate name to describe exactly how Quebec uses 'a referendum pertaining to separation' to acquire additional federal favouritism in the way of powers or programs or financial assistance to continue to pad it's voracious appetite to sustain it's nationalistic aspirations as a soverign country totally separate from Canada, the way many Quebecer's presently see the province.

Why should any more federal Canadian money, powers or programs flow into a province that is trying it's best to separate from Canada and is using time and political manovering (referendums) to build up that province at the expense of Canadian tax payers.

The US was, by the time of WW I, pretty much a unified country. Racial divides continued, and continue to this day. The US had several baptisms by fire that Canada has been blessed, or cursed, not to have.

In reality there is no unity problems concerning all provinces of Canada excluding Quebec..

Must be from Ontario. I know out here we've felt left out for the last 130 years too. Of course there are no unity problems other than Quebec from Ontario's perspective, their politik ends at how far they can see from the CN Tower.

There unity issues with the Maritimes, with the West (all provinces of the west) and even the North with the Inuit. How about all the aboriginals that want self-government?

The Second World War taught us an important lesson, people only wish to be governed by those like themselves. The best system of government will allow individual communities to do as they please, within a co-operative context.

This is what your missing Leafless. I am as frustrated as you are with Quebec demanding more and more everyday. They are lobbying to rob my province with a Carbon Tax, we have far more to lose from Quebec than Ontario or anyone else does. All Canadians, other than those from Ontario, wish to have more 'self-governance', a term I'll use losely. Quebec, Alberta, BC, Nova Scotia... all the same, in that they are all different than the government that sits in Ottawa, always.

You can solve the unity problem by giving the provinces the power to do what they wish within, like I said, a co-operational context. This way Quebecois and we in Alberta can do as they please, and we all reap the economic strength that staying together brings.

Must be from Ontario. I know out here we've felt left out for the last 130 years too. Of course there are no unity problems other than Quebec from Ontario's perspective, their politik ends at how far they can see from the CN Tower.

There unity issues with the Maritimes, with the West (all provinces of the west) and even the North with the Inuit. How about all the aboriginals that want self-government?

The Second World War taught us an important lesson, people only wish to be governed by those like themselves. The best system of government will allow individual communities to do as they please, within a co-operative context.

This is what your missing Leafless. I am as frustrated as you are with Quebec demanding more and more everyday. They are lobbying to rob my province with a Carbon Tax, we have far more to lose from Quebec than Ontario or anyone else does. All Canadians, other than those from Ontario, wish to have more 'self-governance', a term I'll use losely. Quebec, Alberta, BC, Nova Scotia... all the same, in that they are all different than the government that sits in Ottawa, always.

You can solve the unity problem by giving the provinces the power to do what they wish within, like I said, a co-operational context. This way Quebecois and we in Alberta can do as they please, and we all reap the economic strength that staying together brings.

There are many new constitutional problems that have arisen since the introduction of the 'Constitution Act 1982' that has given Quebec and Aboriginals powers including rights to individuals and groups that in my IMO have played havoc with federalism.

Maybe like you say these new conditons have created for some provinces 'feelings for self governance' mainly tiny Alberta (pop. 2,974,807) who has struck pay dirt in the way of black gold and is 'awed by greed' in the same sense Quebec is but with the emphasis on 'lust for power' utilizing what can be described as corrupt and dangerous politics.

But we are off topic as this thread concerns basically Quebec and it's effect on destabilizing the country utilizing a small obsolete residential language.

Now we know why Harper starts off public speeches in French, it's Conservative policy.

He is off the mark although when he tries to justify this strange policy by stating "French is Canada's first national language and the original word "Canadian" referred to the first French speaking settlers of North America."

Of course this is distorted logic and does not make sense.

If he feels this way then it would be perfectly justifiable to allow Quebec to form their own country with federal blessings.

It's clear Mr. Harper has no respect for the true history of Canada and would probably sell off his own mother for a handful of votes.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/politics...2a627d8&k=28515

Sorry I completely disagree. I think Harper is being consistent and treating Quebec exactly how the West wants the federal government to treat it. Harper is practicing what he preaches. He is not paying lip service to Quebecers. He is practicing a style of federalism that Joe Clark offered as an alternative to Trudeau's nd one which respects regional differences and is sensitive to regional alienation. I challenge you to find one thing in a Harper speech or policy where he has offered Quebecers anything different then he has any other Canadian.

I am a Liberal by tradition so don't paint me as a Harper groupy but this man deserves some credit. He unlike Chretien has not madse a mockery of the French and English languages and put down either side of the equation. He is treating people as he wants to be treated and in my books that makes him a man of integrity and its refreshing.

Speaking French first or second means nothing. If you are that petty then so be it. I am glad Harper is not and if I were Westerners be proud this man has shown a Westerner can lead the nation because he may not be French but he knows what its like to come from a region forgotten by central Canada. If anything he is taking away the steam from the seperatists. Quebecers can not look this man in the face and say he is anti-French. His actions speak louder then his words. He has Canadian balls.

Sorry I completely disagree. I think Harper is being consistent and treating Quebec exactly how the West wants the federal government to treat it. Harper is practicing what he preaches. He is not paying lip service to Quebecers. He is practicing a style of federalism that Joe Clark offered as an alternative to Trudeau's nd one which respects regional differences and is sensitive to regional alienation. I challenge you to find one thing in a Harper speech or policy where he has offered Quebecers anything different then he has any other Canadian.

I am a Liberal by tradition so don't paint me as a Harper groupy but this man deserves some credit. He unlike Chretien has not madse a mockery of the French and English languages and put down either side of the equation. He is treating people as he wants to be treated and in my books that makes him a man of integrity and its refreshing.

Speaking French first or second means nothing. If you are that petty then so be it. I am glad Harper is not and if I were Westerners be proud this man has shown a Westerner can lead the nation because he may not be French but he knows what its like to come from a region forgotten by central Canada. If anything he is taking away the steam from the seperatists. Quebecers can not look this man in the face and say he is anti-French. His actions speak louder then his words. He has Canadian balls.

No, he is not following the steps of Joe Clark or Trudeau.

If anything he is following the footsteps of Brian Mulroney and will try to revive Mulroney's FAILED Meech Lake Accord in order to give Quebec an alternative to the distinct society that has previously failed.

He will try to accomplish this IMO with his PROMISE of giving Quebec AUTONOMY which could result in the same light as a distinct society which is also compounded by Trudeau's 1982 Constitution which favouably gives Quebec additional constitutional powers which has nothing to do with equality.

I for one do not want to see federal powers diluted any more than what they are presently as then Canada could face the extreme danger of other provinces separating as federalism becomes totally dysfunctional creating the same conditons initially as why the U.S. had it's civil war from states having to much power and in our case provinces having to much power.

BTW you have a strange definiton of integrity which is 1.- moral uprightness, honesty.

If this was the case Mr. Harper would be adhering to the definition of Canadian federalism and treating all provinces equally and not selling out the country to separatist who compose around 50% of the population of Quebec.

Mr. Harper continues to play the game of traditional Canadian politics while Quebec is loyal to their provincial government and gears up to be their own country.

Mr. Harper is not standing up for the country of Canada.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/04...1543170-cp.html

http://www.conservative.ca/EN/2692/41617