Six Nations Crisis- “Canada’s Pandora’s Box?”

This is what a lot of non-Natives fear. They think that they will have no standing in land that goes to First Nations and they will be evicted. You have said just now that they receive no standing. They are not likely to be granted membership in a First Nation either for fear that they might ask to become part of the province where they are located.
I have said many times that Natives are asking for an Aparthied system in Canada. People have called me a rascist for even suggesting that is the case yet here we have a Native poster that more or less confirms that is exactly what they what.

Race is a red herring ... a twisted attempt to dismiss legitimate claims to land by denigrating people ... and denying their title to the land.

It is not about race per se ... it is about the people who lived here before us and shared their land with us through treaties ... that we have not honoured and now must, for we did not successfully assimilate or destroy them as we tried to do and their spirit is stronger every day now that the residential school holocaust has been ended ... Those who were directly affected are now elders. Their children are strong. Dismiss, denigrate and deny does not work ... it does not distract them from their purpose ... they have seen it all and their eyes are open now.

Canada will NOT just say no ... not going to happen ... we DO care how we are seen by the world.

We do not have the firepower of the US that causes them to ignore the opinions of therest of the world ... and then they wonder why no one likes them and they sew canadian flags on their kids backpacks so they will not be vilified as US citizens are everywhere else in the world. The US is NOT a model of international relations that Canada follows.

Archaic Treaties .... What date would you suggest as a cutoff for not honouring the archaic treaties ...

If you dismiss the The Haldimand Proclamation of 1784, would that not also make the Treaty of Paris (1783) archaic ... our American friends might not be happy becoming British subjects again...

The bad cop routine ... creates strife where none is necessary.

As for your inflated talk of terrorism ... the most powerful weapon that the Haudenosaunee Six Nations have in defending themselves and their territory is ... that they have no firearms. They are unarmed, by command of the Clan Mothers. The police have shown no stomach for shooting unarmed people. It was the women who faced the police down and retook the land after the attack.

They simply stand, women, children and men (warriors) ... and Canada has no force that can overcome that. They are awesome!

Of course, this is all hypothetical talk anyway because whether you like it or not ... Canada has negotiated agreements and recognized aboriginal titles and is continuing to do so ... for Haldimand now.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are a nation under our own authority and the exercise of reclaiming our lands IS a statement of that fact.
The lands belong to the people that live on them. Today that is mostly non-aboriginal Canadians. You can whine as much as you want about historical agreements, however, you cannot change that fact.
What you really fear is that we will do to you what you have been doing to us for 500 years.
I have not been doing anything to you. All I care about is the future and your vision of the future has a lot in common with the vision of White Afrikaners. Any reasonable person would be concerned.
That really frightens you. Good thing we were founded on the Principles of Peace and the Good Mind, our personal Righteous Peacefulness holds as much significance as our assertion of our authority for self-determination.
Sorry, you word is not good enough. The only system acceptable to majority of people living in Six Nations territory is a system where every Canadian citizen is entitled to vote and otherwise participate in the activities of gov't.

You fears - a construct of your anglo-european Christian worldview - have no basis. Your cry of victimization is a typical Canadian response to change. Get over it. You injure yourself by maintaining a dogmatic position.

ummm .... a typical right wing extremist Canadian response (which I am sure is most of what you get) ... but not a typical Canadian response, Tsi. The majority want to see justice for indigenous people. My stepfather ... conservative but not extreme and not a man to anger ... was angry throughout his life at the pension discrimination against Indian veterans that he fought with. The majority of Canadians are silent, perhaps not helpful ... but not extreme like Riv here ... and they will support making it right. Treaties need to be honoured.

Riv and other extremists are American wannabes ... I wonder if there is a connection between UEL folks and this extremism ... perhaps ... still pissed they had to leave ... !! :) NEWSFLASH ... the border is open!

Race is a red herring ... a twisted attempt to dismiss legitimate claims to land by denigrating people ... and denying their title to the land.
You are the one twisting words trying trying to disguise race based rights as 'legitimate' inheritances.

If this was simply a matter of an inheritance then the following things would be true:

1) There would be no discussion of aboriginal rights or sovereignty. It would simply be a discussion of how much the land is worth and how much compensation is deserved.

2) Any land transferred as part of a settlement would still held under fee simple terms and subject to local laws, regulation and taxation.

3) The gov't would be able to legislate caps on any compensation if it was in the public interest to do so.

The aboriginals cannot have both ways. If they want a sovereign nation they should claim their borders, hold a referendum that includes _all_ current citizens of Canada living within those borders and then be prepared to pay for of the costs of assuming statehood.

If aboriginals want to be part of the country called Canada then they have to accept that they all they can get is some compensation for past wrongs and negotiate some local autonomy. However, denying people the right to vote for their local gov't because they are not members of their 'nation' is simply not an option.

Archaic Treaties .... What date would you suggest as a cutoff for not honouring the archaic treaties ...If you dismiss the The Haldimand Proclamation of 1784, would that not also make the Treaty of Paris (1783) archaic ... our American friends might not be happy becoming British subjects again...
Speaking red herrings. The UN is founded on the principal that the status quo is consider 'just' no matter how it came to be. This was an absolutely necessary compromise because it was the only way to stop wars between states over historical grievances.

Treaties are the same. They were not honoured and retroactively honouring them now would create hardship for many. Therefore, there is no obligation to honour them.

The majority of Canadians are silent, perhaps not helpful ... but not extreme like Riv here ... and they will support making it right. Treaties need to be honoured
Support for native land claims in this country is a mile wide and an inch deep. The majority of Canadians live in ignorance and do not think that honouring treaties will affect them so it makes them feel good about themselves to say that historical wrongs should be righted.

However, once people understand the true implications of honouring treaties you will find that opposition to these treaties will grow. Politicians know this and that is why treaty talks have dragged on so long. Politicians know that they would never get elected again if they agree to a deals that are anything close to what posters on this forum are suggesting.

We are a nation under our own authority and the exercise of reclaiming our lands IS a statement of that fact.
The lands belong to the people that live on them. Today that is mostly non-aboriginal Canadians. You can whine as much as you want about historical agreements, however, you cannot change that fact.

That fact has already been changed. The Mississaugas Nations currently hold title to Toronto (2003). The government is developing an offer to purchase, and no doubt there will be no ill effects for people living there ... but the title is not currently theirs.

What you really fear is that we will do to you what you have been doing to us for 500 years.
I have not been doing anything to you. All I care about is the future and your vision of the future has a lot in common with the vision of White Afrikaners. Any reasonable person would be concerned.

You have been dismissing, denigrating and denying aboriginal rights and titles. If you argue extremely, as you do, you get extreme responses. It is just a game you extremists play to justify your fears of anything out of your control. Do not worry ... No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

That fact has already been changed. The Mississaugas Nations currently hold title to Toronto (2003). The government is developing an offer to purchase, and no doubt there will be no ill effects for people living there ... but the title is not currently theirs.
http://www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/nr/prs/m-a2003/02332bk_e.html
Negotiators for the parties will be trying to reach an agreement on what constitutes fair cash compensation for the losses to the First Nation as a result of the 1805 Toronto Purchase. The current ownership of that land is not in question and is not at issue in this claim.

In other words, your statement is false.

As a Canadian you have no standing concerning Haudenosaunee issues. We have no dual citizenship requirements. You could petition to become a citizen of one of the Nations but you would have to spend some time with them and see if they would sponsor you. Even still, because your thinking is obtusely colonial you would have limited say in national politics. You could participate in the community politics, however.

So you are saying that if the Six Nations had land granted to them that had a majority of non-Natives on it, they would have title to the land the occupy but no vote on larger issues of who is, for lack of a better word, is "making the buses run on time?" For some people community politics *is* national politics. And what you describe *is* dual citizenship.

You are the one twisting words trying trying to disguise race based rights as 'legitimate' inheritances.

If this was simply a matter of an inheritance then the following things would be true:

1) There would be no discussion of aboriginal rights or sovereignty. It would simply be a discussion of how much the land is worth and how much compensation is deserved.

Treaties are the same. They were not honoured and retroactively honouring them now would create hardship for many. Therefore, there is no obligation to honour them.

... speaking only for yourself, of course ... your intentions may not be honourable, but you do not speak for Canadians and you most certainly do not speak for me.

The rest of what you said is just control crapola ... still trying to run their lives ... they do not care what you think they should do.

So ... in your mnd ... aboriginal rights and titles are invalid because they are race based ... even though it is in the Constitution ... and the treaties are invalid because it would be difficult to live up to them ... so then ... in your mind ... if neither of these is valid ... why IS Canada negotiating settlements...

Info related to earlier discussion with Riverwind:

Mortality rates in residential schools

http://canadiangenocide.nativeweb.org/mort_rate_index.html

Dr Bryce was commissioned to do this study in 1907, but the results were hidden. Subsequently, in 1922, Duncan Campbell Scott made his infamous statement that all was on target for ... the final solution to the Indian problem.

Dr Annett has likewise been vilified ... but not silenced, and there are two other authors who have just published ... A Little Matter of Genocide ...

I do not think the information can be suppressed any longer.

Many Canadians know ... Catch the CBC movie Butterbox Babies sometime, about a home for unwed mothers.

The movie was not explicit, but my mother was around when that story broke and she knew that these were mostly babies born to aboriginal girls from residential schools, through sexual assault by staff. The babies were murdered and buried in butterboxes. That was the east coast ...

Annett was the west coast ... stories there of pregnant girls being taken away and coming back without their babies ... a story of baby skeletons found when a school was being torn down ... a story of hidden graves - children, not babies, quickly dug up when the school was closing in 1972. Records dumped in the ocean...

It happened on the east coast ... and the west coast ... want to guess about the middle ...! It was standard procedure. Canada mandated, funded and supervised and is responsible ... and the story is yet to be heard by the public because it has been suppressed.

It was, of course, traditional indigenous people targeted for their failure to give up their culture who experienced the most severe treatment.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY WANT TO BE CANADIAN !!

As a Canadian you have no standing concerning Haudenosaunee issues. We have no dual citizenship requirements. You could petition to become a citizen of one of the Nations but you would have to spend some time with them and see if they would sponsor you. Even still, because your thinking is obtusely colonial you would have limited say in national politics. You could participate in the community politics, however.

So you are saying that if the Six Nations had land granted to them that had a majority of non-Natives on it, they would have title to the land the occupy but no vote on larger issues of who is, for lack of a better word, is "making the buses run on time?" For some people community politics *is* national politics. And what you describe *is* dual citizenship.

I think Tsi is pulling your chain a bit ... Riverwind is an extremist and he is returning in kind.

There is no answer to these questions at present. As you saw above, the government has recognized that the surrender of Toronto was invalid, and is negotiating a settlement, and has assured people that their titles are intact.

At Six Nations ... they are in negotiations too, for land, and I am quite sure that at this point, they are conceding nothing and revealing nothing of their position.

Obviously, the Canadian government will do whatever it can to protect private property titles.

The one to watch ... that is complete ... is Pelee Island. The surrender of the Walpole band was deemed invalid so they resume title. It remains to be seen whether they will reclaim the island or parts of it.

I think Tsi is pulling your chain a bit ...
No he is completely serious. Other native posters have said the same thing in different ways and they were not simply saying it to be provocative. Many natives firmly believe that non-aboriginals are useful sources of income on their land but are absolutely opposed to any system that would give non-aboriginals a say in aboriginal gov't.
Obviously, the Canadian government will do whatever it can to protect private property titles.
That is the point that you don't seem to understand. The gov't is trying negotiate a settlement but there are certain points that it cannot give in on. Unfortunately, many native groups are refusing to give ground on their demands. The net result is negotiations are stalled and are not likely to conclude anytime soon.

You call me an extremist but I am simply saying stating truth. We cannot give the natives what they want which means we are going to have to tear up the treaties whether we like it not. The gov't is trying to be more diplomatic than me but negotiations that never end are the gov'ts way of saying the same thing.

I think Tsi is pulling your chain a bit ...
No he is completely serious. Other native posters have said the same thing in different ways and they were not simply saying it to be provocative. Many natives firmly believe that non-aboriginals are useful sources of income on their land but are absolutely opposed to any system that would give non-aboriginals a say in aboriginal gov't.
That is the point that you don't seem to understand. The gov't is trying negotiate a settlement but there are certain points that it cannot give in on. Unfortunately, many native groups are refusing to give ground on their demands. The net result is negotiations are stalled and are not likely to conclude anytime soon.

You call me an extremist but I am simply saying stating truth. We cannot give the natives what they want which means we are going to have to tear up the treaties whether we like it not. The gov't is trying to be more diplomatic than me but negotiations that never end are the gov'ts way of saying the same thing.

Well you have not provided a source for that information so I can not really comment, but I think the government has other reasons for stalling too ... to allow development of land and removal of resources ... and I think Indigenous people are furious about that. It is to bad the government did not move its butt years ago when they may have settled for money. Either way, it is the governments problem. They have known for at least 30 years this was coming. It is time to pay the piper, and not through that silly specific land claims process but through the treaties.

I do not see the need for offensive statements like you have made. I call you extremist because you use insults to shut people up and impose your views.

If you understood Canadas residential schools genocidal campaign, you would understand the people better. They are trying to regain their lives after a century long attack against their very existence. A little compassion is warranted, and reason rather than threats.

Perhaps you are also not aware that we criminalized their religion at the same time as their sovereign governance (1924). These things do not sit well with them, and Canadas committments and Canadas problems are of little concern to them.

There will be no treaties torn up. Why would we tear up only treaties made with Indigenous people and not others ... that would be a racially based initiative ... or does that only matter to you when they get a benefit ...

I think Tsi is pulling your chain a bit ... Riverwind is an extremist and he is returning in kind.

There is no answer to these questions at present. As you saw above, the government has recognized that the surrender of Toronto was invalid, and is negotiating a settlement, and has assured people that their titles are intact.

At Six Nations ... they are in negotiations too, for land, and I am quite sure that at this point, they are conceding nothing and revealing nothing of their position.

The one to watch ... that is complete ... is Pelee Island. The surrender of the Walpole band was deemed invalid so they resume title. It remains to be seen whether they will reclaim the island or parts of it.

Since no one knows what the outcome would be in such a transfer of land, I have to ask.

The entire city of Winnipeg is claimed by the Metis. No one is certain what it means if they win in the Supreme Court.

Since no one knows what the outcome would be in such a transfer of land, I have to ask.

The entire city of Winnipeg is claimed by the Metis. No one is certain what it means if they win in the Supreme Court.

Are they asking for the land or compensation...

I do not see it on the land claims website

http://www.indianclaims.ca/english/claimsmap/claimsmap.html

I do not see it on the land claims website

http://www.indianclaims.ca/english/claimsmap/claimsmap.html

Re Pelee Island, which is inhabited, the government did not transfer the land ... they simply acknowledged the title and closed the file. It is now up to the band whether they try to reclaim, etc.

Toronto ... is being settled for compensation, except the Toronto Islands which are in the same status as Pelee Island and will likely be reclaimed.

She:kon!

That sounds more like a statement than a question....

Under the new rules of reclamation and aboriginal ownership no one knows for sure how it will all work out. Rather than trying to promote your own personal agendas, it might be appropriate to hold a little more faith.

New citizens of the Confederacy do not have a say at the national level. How could anyone rationalize violent and subjegative thinking with peace and freedom. As settlers with a settler mentality you would be a threat to not only us and the Great Peace but to yourselves. You have shown in the past that settlers are prone to greed when offered freedom and stoop to manipulation for their own gain when offered charity. In order to qualify as a citizen under the Great Law you would need to demonstrate that you can and are willing to adhere to the principles of peace. At this point in your lives few of you are capable of even understanding "what" they are let alone their importance to the Haudenosaunee way of democracy and life.

We have contained in the Great Law a method to "extend the rafters" of the law where we feel it would be beneficial to the people and the Great Peace. Perhaps if enough of you were to sincerely join the Confederacy we could make room for you. We did for the Tuscaroras a while back. But for only one or two we must fall back on the wisdom of the Great Law.

We're not interested in making slaves out of you. Riverwind, the more you talk the more you just repeat the same thing over and over again. I wondering if you really are just trying to convince yourself that the lies you present as truth are believable? I can see why some would consider you to be a racist, given your desire for an inequitible relationship with us. Given our proper recognition as the owners of the Haldimand Tract, and other lands belonging to the Haudenosaunee, we would have no trouble generating income. You forget we are the Iroquois - the capitalists of the ancient and modern worlds. We are relatively prosperous even compared to many of your rural towns of similar size. When I say self-determining that also includes self-sufficieny and self-reliance. The offer of allowing settlers to stay on our lands and using their taxes means that we would take over the infrastructure and operate Conservation Authorities, roads departments and water and sewer services within the tract. We have the ability to operate health and welfare systems as well. Certainly by living on our land you wouldn't think that people would want to live for free - and get handouts from us? I mean you are too caught up in a Canadian corporate welfare scheme as it is now. We would attempt to restore some dignity to your poor victim-playing Canadian mentality and make real men and women out of you. We taught your Canadian ancestors how to survive in this world and by evidence of our being 500 years after the genocide commenced should should be sufficient for you to believe that we can still teach you about survival in the modern world without the aid of your corporate welfare state.

The negotiations will progress at a substantial state. If the government stalls they will be potentially faced with a confrontation to move them along. We have always understood that peaceful means like negotiation and honest dialog are the path to resolving our differences. However, when government officials attempt to sabatouge the talks, or delay them unreasonably our only recourse is to start talking by digging in and turning off something important. You must understand by now that while Oka was a catastrophe for the Surette du Quebec, the Canadian government and the Army, it was only a test. The reclamations at Caledonian and other places along the Haldimand Tract are just the beginning of the real thing. We are not about to cave because your government tries dishonesty as a tactic. And unfortunately Canadians will suffer the uneasiness and inconveniences those at Caledonia complain about by our constant and vigilant presence. And don't discount the support from other nations across North America blockading bridges, rails and other infrastructure to demonstrate the seriousness of these talks and the eventual return of lands to us. A couple of days with block bridges, one day rail line blockade and a 3 day power outage wreaked havoc at Caledonia. Can you imagine what a couple of months would do? People in cities and towns couldn't survive more than a week without power.

I'm not suggesting that I advocate any form of violence to resolve our differences. However, there are many youth frustrated with the inaction and Warriors who might resort to anarchy whom we cannot control without a sincere effort demonstrated by Canada. We can certainly try to let peaceful and calm minds prevail, but there are a number of itches waiting to be scratched by less calm people. This is the reality and the result of injustice and inequity. The lands are ours, no question. The only quandry is about what we will do with the millions of settlers that occupy our territories without authority. That is what your government begs for on your behalf.

Riverwind.... Since as a Canadian subject you without standing in your own government and without a true democracy that allows you to participate in the resolutions that will affect you, this discussion really is useless. On the other hand I can afford to offer you the infromation since my opinion does count and will bend the final outcome. So if you can return to your polite demeanor and stick to decent discussion without continually repeating yourself I may consider continuing offering you our position for your entertainment purposes. But really I find your whole racist being a mild form of retarded development and hope that through our discussions I can enlighten you to the point that you can be free from your bias and prejudice and be enlightened to the Truth. That is my hope. Open your mind. Anything is possible.

O:nen

It is time to pay the piper, and not through that silly specific land claims process but through the treaties.
How much would you pay personally to solve these issues? What percentage of your annual income would you be willing to donate to solve this problem? I know you would not give up 100% of your personal income so you must have a limit somewhere between 0% and 100% where you to would say screw the treaties. What is your limit?. Remember we are talking about paying money in addition to any taxes you already pay.

Would you be be willing to surrender your property with no compensation if you discovered it was on land claimed by native groups?

That sounds more like a statement than a question....

Under the new rules of reclamation and aboriginal ownership no one knows for sure how it will all work out. Rather than trying to promote your own personal agendas, it might be appropriate to hold a little more faith.

It is a little hard for people who may suddenly be evicted from their home to have faith. You are dealing with fear and it usually trrumps faith.

Your ideas of how non-Natives may or may not become citizens does not inspire hope.

It is time to pay the piper, and not through that silly specific land claims process but through the treaties.
How much would you pay personally to solve these issues? What percentage of your annual income would you be willing to donate to solve this problem? I know you would not give up 100% of your personal income so you must have a limit somewhere between 0% and 100% where you to would say screw the treaties. What is your limit?. Remember we are talking about paying money in addition to any taxes you already pay.

Would you be be willing to surrender your property with no compensation if you discovered it was on land claimed by native groups?

I think you are being silly.

What is the size of the federal surplus now ...

Where are the EI funds ...

What are the terms of payment ... over how many years ...

No ... I would expect compensation from the government that made the mistake in the first place ... and yes, I know that means I would be paying it through my taxes.

Maybe we just will not be able to afford corporate welfare for a while...

I can see why some would consider you to be a racist, given your desire for an inequitable relationship with us.
From my perspective you are the one seeking an inequitable relationship with other Canadians. You are the one insisting that aboriginal groups deserve special rights because they happened to be here first. An equitable relationship between all people in society starts with the presumption that everyone has the same rights no matter what their genetic heritage.

I realize that you prefer to use the term 'inheritance' instead of 'race base rights' and I will concede that there is a subtle difference. A Haida visiting from BC would have no more rights on Six Nations land than a non-aboriginal. However, I don't believe that anyone has an absolute right to any inheritance no matter who they are. The fact that most egalitarian democracies have some form of inheritance tax is evidence that I am not the only one that believes that future generations have do not have an absolute right to everything that their parents want to give them. That is why I don't really make a distinction between 'race base' rights or 'inheirited' rights.

I think you are being silly.

What is the size of the federal surplus now ...

Where are the EI funds ...

What are the terms of payment ... over how many years ...

No ... I would expect compensation from the government that made the mistake in the first place ... and yes, I know that means I would be paying it through my taxes.

Maybe we just will not be able to afford corporate welfare for a while...

...and do not most people have title insurance these days ... I do!