60 Minutes Reports On Domestic Terrorism Threat

No silly, not that kind of terrorism.

Ed Bradley Reports On Extremists Now Deemed Biggest Domestic Terror Threat

When they first emerged in the mid-1990s, the environmental extremists calling themselves the “Earth Liberation Front” announced they were “the burning rage of a dying planet.”

Ever since, the ELF, along with its sister group, the Animal Liberation Front, has been burning everything from SUV dealerships to research labs to housing developments.

In the last decade, these so-called "eco-terrorists" have been responsible for more than $100 million in damages. And their tactics are beginning to escalate.

Some splinter groups have set off homemade bombs and threatened to kill people. As correspondent Ed Bradley first reported last November, things have gotten so bad, the FBI now considers them the country's biggest domestic terrorist threat.

Let's see: home-made bombs, plot involving guns, radical religious type beliefs...all there. Throw in people like Eric Rudolph and Ted Kaczynski and you've got a very serious problem.

Multinational Monitor estimates that white collar crime in the US accounts for around $200 billion a year. Something to keep in perspective.

You should all read Patrick Parnaby's study on the squeegee kids of Toronto. Framing certain "problems" as menaces to our society in the hopes that we forget about the bigger problems. It’s a great way to divert attention.

Multinational Monitor estimates that white collar crime in the US accounts for around $200 billion a year. Something to keep in perspective.

You should all read Patrick Parnaby's study on the squeegee kids of Toronto. Framing certain "problems" as menaces to our society in the hopes that we forget about the bigger problems. It’s a great way to divert attention.

I'm afraid I can't make the jump from squeeqie kid problems to groups burning SUV dealerships. Destroying property is the same mentality that blowing up property is from. Dangerous and stupid.

Something to keep in perspective
This thread IS perspective.
I'm afraid I can't make the jump from squeeqie kid problems to groups burning SUV dealerships
No need to worry, either can I. I'm not really sure what one has to do with the other. What I do know, is that this threat is a thousand times greater then any nut against abortion. There's no denying that fact.

Something to keep in perspective
This thread IS perspective.
I'm afraid I can't make the jump from squeeqie kid problems to groups burning SUV dealerships
No need to worry, either can I. I'm not really sure what one has to do with the other. What I do know, is that this threat is a thousand times greater then any nut against abortion. There's no denying that fact.

I apologize for making this thread veer a bit of course.

What I'm trying to convey here is that while 3-4 billions dollars is lost to eco terrorism (which includes PETA members picketing in front of your local KFC by the way) every year over $200 billions dollars is lost due to while collar crime. I mentioned Patrick Parnaby's study on the squeegee kids of Toronto because in his study he demonstrates how a relatively harmless "problem" was turned into a threat to the very fabric of society by the media ignoring much bigger problems.

Some splinter groups have set off homemade bombs and threatened to kill people. As correspondent Ed Bradley first reported last November, things have gotten so bad, the FBI now considers them the country's biggest domestic terrorist threat.

And here's why:

Ever since, the ELF, along with its sister group, the Animal Liberation Front, has been burning everything from SUV dealerships to research labs to housing developments.

Crimes against property, crimes that specifically target the American Way of Life will rate higher than others and will draw more political attention.

Let's see: home-made bombs, plot involving guns, radical religious type beliefs...all there. Throw in people like Eric Rudolph and Ted Kaczynski and you've got a very serious problem.

How do those two fit in the mix? Are you associating Rudolph and the Unabomber with ecoterrorism?

What I do know, is that this threat is a thousand times greater then any nut against abortion. There's no denying that fact.

Except we're not talking about "any nut against abortion": but the dangerous merger between far-right movements against abortion and white superemacist organizations.

Its all hot air, nothing more. Doesn't mean a thing to me. Mainstream media has zero credibility with me. I don't believe it.

ALF and ELF are Terrorist groups, their no different than Al Qaeda. True they haven't killed 3,000 people but they still commit acts of Terrorism. When it comes to Terrorism you can't split hairs..

ALF and ELF are Terrorist groups, their no different than Al Qaeda. True they haven't killed 3,000 people but they still commit acts of Terrorism. When it comes to Terrorism you can't split hairs..

Sure you can.

Anyway, this seems like a good venue for this: Hate Groups Are Infiltrating the Military, Group Asserts

A decade after the Pentagon declared a zero-tolerance policy for racist hate groups, recruiting shortfalls caused by the war in Iraq have allowed "large numbers of neo-Nazis and skinhead extremists" to infiltrate the military, according to a watchdog organization.

The report said that neo-Nazi groups like the National Alliance, whose founder, William Pierce, wrote "The Turner Diaries," the novel that was the inspiration and blueprint for Timothy J. McVeigh's bombing of the Oklahoma City federal building, sought to enroll followers in the Army to get training for a race war.

The report quotes Scott Barfield, a Defense Department investigator, saying, "Recruiters are knowingly allowing neo-Nazis and white supremacists to join the armed forces, and commanders don't remove them from the military even after we positively identify them as extremists or gang members."

But hey: at least they aren't gay. :blink: