Charges laid in Boxing Day shooting

The Star: 8 charged in gunfight

I am offering a prize of 10 Kimmy-Points to the first person who can link to an editorial citing these arrests as proof that dismantling the gun registry is a mistake.

And I offer a further 10 Kimmy-Points to the first person who finds news-story in which a Toronto Jamaican-community activist blames the arrests on police needing suspects because the victim was white.

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I've just got a hunch. Get to it, gang! Valuable Kimmy-Points are up for grabs!

-kimmy

Guest Warwick Green
The Star: 8 charged in gunfight

I am offering a prize of 10 Kimmy-Points to the first person who can link to an editorial citing these arrests as proof that dismantling the gun registry is a mistake.

And I offer a further 10 Kimmy-Points to the first person who finds news-story in which a Toronto Jamaican-community activist blames the arrests on police needing suspects because the victim was white.

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I've just got a hunch. Get to it, gang! Valuable Kimmy-Points are up for grabs!

-kimmy

Are you presuming that the accused are Jamaicans (or Jamaican-Canadians)?

As for your two contests - it will be the Star where you will find both. :(

This case is simply sad, and while I suppose the police can be satisfied that they have layed charges, it took them almost six months to do it.

Two adults and one youth have been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the case. As well, four adults and one youth face charges of manslaughter.
G&M

The youth offender act is a travesty. It must be changed. These kids know full well that if caught, they will suffer little penalty. They are old enough to respond to incentives.

“All the accused in this case are members or associates of street gangs active in the city of Toronto,” he told reporters.

He didn't identify the gangs alleged to have been involved.

Without this information, there will simply be more innuendo and gossip. Moreover, the police themselves use coded terms to speak. The time for this PC language is over. Being blunt does not mean being prejudicial.
Two men were arrested at the Castle Frank subway station shortly after the shootout, but until this morning neither was charged with the death of Ms. Creba.

Since then, police have expressed frustration over an apparent reluctance on the part of those with information about the shooting to come forward. They have also said at least some people are now in the witness protection program in connection with the case.

Translation: The police have no contacts and don't know what is going on within a community racked with violence. The police fail at the one job they are supposed to do.

----

“We've had many sleepless nights and actually have been going for the last 36 hours,” he said. “We've had approximately 20 investigators [working on this].

“We had a team of investigators that sometimes reached 20 officers, however, we were assisted by a number of units from active service. It was a very complex investigation. A dedicated team of detectives worked tirelessly, very long days, very long nights away from their families.”

It took the murder a 15 year white girl in a public location in broad daylight for the police to devote all these resources. And still it took them six months.

In all likelihood, this will happen again unless a radically different approach is taken.

Do I get 5 'kimmy point's' for asking why there aren't a ton of people out there saying that these guys are a picked-on ethnicity...arrested to appease Bush...who's freedoms are being infringed and who are probably, right now as we type, being tortured by a room with those awful florescent lights?

Do I get 5 'kimmy point's' for asking why there aren't a ton of people out there saying that these guys are a picked-on ethnicity...arrested to appease Bush...who's freedoms are being infringed and who are probably, right now as we type, being tortured by a room with those awful florescent lights?

Well, change "appease Bush" to "appease suburban white voters" or something along those lines, and that's pretty much what I was thinking of when I said "10 Kimmy-Points to the first person who finds news-story in which a Toronto Jamaican-community activist blames the arrests on police needing suspects because the victim was white." So if you find one, that'll win you the Kimmy-Points. :)

And yes, Warwick, you are correct that I shouldn't have said "Jamaican." I am sure that some self-appointed guardian of black Torontonians will come out swinging on this, but I was wrong to narrow it down to Jamaican.

-kimmy

Guest Warwick Green

:)

Tortured? I thought we only tortured Muslims. :)

It took the murder a 15 year white girl in a public location in broad daylight for the police to devote all these resources. And still it took them six months.

Are you trying to earn Kimmy points? This is cheating!

CBC: courtroom chaos.

Audette Shepherd said she hopes Creba's family finds some solace with the arrests announced Tuesday.

But watching the events unfold on TV, Shepherd wondered whether the same kind of resources were applied in the unsolved killing of her son, Justin, five years ago.

"I listened to the press conference and the chief talked about dedicated resources," she said. "It sort left a bitter taste in my mouth wondering where were these dedicated resources in order to solve Justin's case?"

Shepherd wonders whether the fact that her son was a young black man affected the amount of attention devoted to his case.

close... but not quite. I'm not sure that Mrs Shepherd is a community activist, and while she figures the police gave the case extra attention because the victim was white, I'm still expecting somebody to claim that the young suspects are being made scapegoats. The Kimmy-Points are still up for grabs, so stay sharp people!

-k

This isn't for Kimmy points but I liked the quote - along the lines of "honour student":

A neighbour of Andrew Smith said she can't believe that the young man she's known since birth could have been involved with criminals.

"He's a good kid. He and his mother are churchgoing people," Mary Pootosh said. "Just last night, I was sitting up in the food court with a nice young girl and he waved to me like he always does. He seemed happy."

At Oakland Ave., near Wilson Ave. and Weston Rd., where other arrests took place, the young men coming and going from the townhouse were tight-lipped about the arrests. Women yelled obscenities out the windows at reporters and cameramen staking out the scene.

Toronto Star

It is truly unfortunate that this becomes an "us" vs. "them" confrontation.

Are you presuming that the accused are Jamaicans (or Jamaican-Canadians)?
I suggest a WG Prize for the first mention of the origin/race(s) of the accused. So far, I've seen nothing.

It's not even in the urban areas anymore. I live on the outskirts of Calgary and in my area we've had a shooting, two stabbing and a sex offender flashing kids within the last week. It's out of control, and all of the violent actions were by ethnic minorities, all new additions to what used to be a predominately white area.

The problem is becoming more apparent not because its new, but because rising house prices level the neighbour playing field between the rich and poor. More poor recently immigrated ethnics are living in the rich areas, and this creates a clash between classes. And we see it in more robberies, more violence, more gangs and a lot more drugs.

It's not racist to say our crime is an ethnic problem, in Calgary anyways... it really is an ethnic problem. All of our gangs are Asian or black in descent. I don't see white people out on 7th ave and 10 street cooking up heroin in big glasses to shoot up in what I've described as a drive-thru.

• 6 months later...

We have had several threads on this topic and so I chose this one.

"May peace and joy be with you."

With those seven words, the family of Jane Creba closed a two-paragraph statement released yesterday -- five days before the first anniversary of the brazen shooting of the 15-year-old near Yonge and Dundas Streets.

Jane's family also expressed gratitude to supporters, the police and public officials.

"The family wants to express our sincere thanks to the countless Canadians for the continued messages of warmth and goodwill as the holiday season approaches. We feel they express true warmth, compassion and spirit in our community and city," the statement read.

Police have charged four young men with second-degree murder in the teenager's death and have arrested more than two dozen people in connection with the incident, which has been described as a war over drug-dealing turf.

G & M

One year later, the police have charged and arrested people - four young men. Second-degree murder. No convictions.

Everyone, the Toronto police, the Crown prosecutors and these Jamaican boys, view this as an accident. A young girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Justice denied is no justice at all. What sentence will any of these four young men ever serve? What are other young men with guns now thinking?

Canada's judicial system is a lottery. Young men go to prison if they're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Everyone, the Toronto police, the Crown prosecutors and these Jamaican boys, view this as an accident. A young girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Like "collateral damage". When you pull out a gun and shoot it at someone, it is not an accident if someone gets shot, even if it is not the one you were aiming at.

Like "collateral damage". When you pull out a gun and shoot it at someone, it is not an accident if someone gets shot, even if it is not the one you were aiming at.

Exactly. They made a decision to kill by firing a gun... you don't fire a gun into a crowd for shits and giggles. They need a first degree murder sentance.

Justice denied is no justice at all. What sentence will any of these four young men ever serve? What are other young men with guns now thinking?

Canada's judicial system is a lottery. Young men go to prison if they're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You think they will be released?

Jamaican gangs in Toronto is a valid issue. We need to do more research on immigrants from there... and from Sri Lanka for two examples, before we allow them into our country.

Lol.. that would be a dream come true for me.. unfortunately, it's too un politically correct and won't happen. If we allowed people in on worker permits only, you would see the end of Jamaicans entering into Canada.

I was reading a paper from the frasier instatute with recommendations on our immigration crisis. It basically attributes all our problems we're experiencing to immigration. He suggests moving to a worker permit system and expelling people after their permit expires. This was presented to Monte Soleberg for recommendation to fix out immigration crisis.

To be perfectly honest, I knew that the immigratoin we're seing today was draining us, but I could not actually prove it. This reports prove it. And I actually underestimated the problem. It's much bigger than I realized.

It's called "Immigration and the Welfare State in Canada: Growing Conflicts, Constructive Solutions" sept 2005.

"The paper proposes the creation of a new immigrant selection process that would reduce the burden on Canadian taxpayers and reduce the hardships imposed on immigrants who cannot find employment to which their education qualifies them."

Meanwhile, we have ignatieff wanting even more immigrants by allowing them to come over by web applications. He's a fcking retard and I hope he never gets in power.

Permit workers and immediate family only sounds acceptable to me.

Were these kids immigrants or Canadian born gangsters? Are we dealing with problems the Jamaicans are bringing to Canada, old rivalries that now have Canadians slain the crossfire?

Jamaica is a failed culture. When you bring a culture like that into Canada you also import all their cultural failings. Most of the street crime in Toronto and many other urban centres is due to Jamaican and other ethnic gangs.

Permit workers and immediate family only sounds acceptable to me.

Were these kids immigrants or Canadian born gangsters? Are we dealing with problems the Jamaicans are bringing to Canada, old rivalries that now have Canadians slain the crossfire?

These kids were born here, or brought here at an early eage. Some get adopted as teens. It's a mix. Man aren't even teens. Either way, the parent's are in poverty, single mothers, kids, eating away our social system. I don't think it's old rivals though. We've had these problems of poverty since the beginning of time, it's the natre of people that are coming here. If they have a murden gun culture back home, it's going to come here.

One thing is for sure, this community is not here in Canada to work. They have not been sponsored in by a company to be here.

If we had a normal immigration system, this wouldn't be a problem.

It's not racist to say our crime is an ethnic problem, in Calgary anyways... it really is an ethnic problem. All of our gangs are Asian or black in descent. I don't see white people out on 7th ave and 10 street cooking up heroin in big glasses to shoot up in what I've described as a drive-thru.

Now all we need is proof. Numerical, statistical proof that crime rate in ethnic communities, per capita, is significantly higher than in the local population. Please note that without such evidence your statement does border on hardcore racism (i.e they are for blame for all my problems).