The NHL playoffs

Dear Black Dog,

A fantastic game, and a very entertaining series.

* No team has ever come back from a 3-1 deficit in the Cup finals. There's a first time for everything.

That's bullshit.

Colorado and Edmonton did. In 2001 and 2006 respectively.

Speaking of bullshit,...from the 2001 series...
Sat., May 26, Avs 5, Devils 0 Recap | Summary

Tue., May 29, Devils 2, Avs 1 Recap | Summary

Thu., May 31, Avs 3, Devils 1 Recap | Summary

Sat., June 2, Devils 3, Avs 2 Recap | Summary

Mon., June 4, Devils 4, Avs 1 Recap | Summary

Thu., June 7, Avs 4, Devils 0 Recap | Summary

Sat., June 9, Avs 3, Devils 1 (Avs win 4-3) Recap | Summary

and from the '2006' series...
Edm 4 Car 5 Story Box

Edm 0 Car 5 Story Box

Car 1 Edm 2 Story Box

Car 2 Edm 1 Story Box

Edm 4 Car 3 (OT)

I realize you aren't 'feeding the troll' on purpose, but he seems to be eating the peanuts out of your turds and calling it food!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* No team has ever come back from a 3-1 deficit in the Cup finals. There's a first time for everything.

That's bullshit.

Colorado and Edmonton did. In 2001 and 2006 respectively.

The '42 Leafs are the only team in history to have come back from a 3-1 deficit in the cup finals.... yet.

Sorry, my mistake. I looked and you're right, Colorado only came back from a 3-2 deficit.

And with Edmonton I should have waited until it becomes public knowledge, I suppose.

Why are Calgary fans such whiners? During the Flames run, Edmontonians cast aside tribal loyalties to root for the Flames. There were Flames flags everywhere. Is Calgary reciprocating this year? By all accounts, no. And geoffery's attitude would seem to indicate why. Flames fans only care about the Flames (and only when they are winning). IOW, they are the quintissesntsial bandwagon-jumpers.

Mr. Dog, this is simply not true my friend. Many, many Calgarians have been cheering for the Oilers since our team lost. Its always been this way and always will.

You seem to find any opportunity to slam Calgary and Calgarians so I will just file this under "has nothing to do with hockey" and leave it at that!

GO OILERS!!!!!!

I'm utterly confused. Did Edmonton win? Lose? (On a side note, did Croatia beat Japan?)

Edmonton Oilers, 4-3 winers in OT. And Japan and Croatia don't play till Sunday.

Stop complaining!

You guys should be grateful that you do not have any Toronto Maple Refugeefs fans in your city.

Oh but we do. Hell, my boss is one such speciemen.

GOILERS!!!!

I suspect that Bush is dying to give Harper a very special gift. And I cannot think of a better gift for a hard core hockey enthusiast than handing him this year's Cup on a platter.

That requires a few things to happen.

To tell you the truth, I'm not AT ALL sure if Bush is ready to go all the way, but I can safely say that if Prime Minister Stephen Harper will be at Rexall Place today to watch the game.... George Bush will make sure that Stephen doesn't go home disappointed.

And you can take that to the bank!!!

BTW - That is my best bet of the year.

You're welcome!

BTW - Stephen is there, I saw him.

The first period was scoreless.

When asked what the Oilers should do in the second period Stephen's advice was to shoot more when they go for the net.

And that is precisely what they are doing in this, the second period.

Did they score yet, you ask?

Of course they did, don't be ridiculous!

Dear August1991,

Does this mean that the Oilers won because they followed Harper's advice? (Uh, I gather the Oilers won?)
No, I am firmly convinced that they won tonight because I beat up that little fat kid in Grade 3.

Either that, or they are demonstrating what it means to be Canadian. You can defeat any obstacle, be it size, fatigue, injury or any kind of odds, as long as you are fuelled by grit and determination.

4 - nuttin'honey!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Where are all the doom-talkin knobs now? I wanna honestly thank every one of them because they just make this all the sweeter! HAHAHA!!

"Oh yeah, eh? They'll be out by game 5"

Oh yeah. Anyone from Edmonton knows better than that. We can do ANYTHING! Nothing's impossible.

And all those guys who tried to sound like they knew what they were talking about or like they don't care about hockey and "Oh look what we got here -- the World Cup. I'm going to pay attention to that for as long as I can stay wake" ect ect. WE knew just like you did that was loser talk and loser talk can only lose.

Not really much different than Afghanistan: "Oh no...it's like impossible, eh?"

Well don't worry yourselves ladies....cover your eyes or hide your head under the pillow if it gets too scary for ya....no worries: we got a bunch of Edmontonians out there too and they're gonna get it done instead of wallowing about timidly whining about all the obstacles and how it's "impossible".

Edmonton's gonna bring the Cup home to Canada, FOR Canada, where it belongs and no one's going to remember the posers who were pretentiously cheering for soccer when everyone knows they don't know soccer any better than they know lawn bowling.

Dear August1991,

Seems we might have a three way tie for the cause of Edmonton's win...from...

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/Natio...rc=n061802A.xml

Charlotte Wolters said she knew the Oilers were going to win because she had on her lucky socks.

"I knew when I put them on Carolina was not going to score and I was right," she said.

Wolters plans to sleep in those socks before Monday's night game so the magic won't wear off.

It could be because Harper told them what to do, it could be because I beat up that little fat kid in Grade 3, or some girl's lucky socks. One of them has to be right. ;)

It could be because Harper told them what to do, it could be because I beat up that little fat kid in Grade 3, or some girl's lucky socks. One of them has to be right. ;)

Don Cherry knows as well as I do that the fix was on, and he always tells it like he sees it, and he can't keep a secret. That's why, during the intermission, he brought out the highlights showing the Canes players ducking and getting out of the way of the Oilers shots on goal, wondering aloud why in hell would the team that's one of the best at blocking shots do that all of a sudden.

Grapes cannot keep a secret, that's what I like about him.

Edmonton's gonna bring the Cup home to Canada, FOR Canada, where it belongs and no one's going to remember the posers who were pretentiously cheering for soccer .....

Czechs have time for both, hockey and soccer. And I bet you any money that come Tuesday morning they'll be watching the game and singing .... "Nothing could be finer than one more win over Carolina, in the morning."

Czechs always cheer for Canada in hockey when their national team is not playing in the series.

I wish Canadians would reciprocate come Thursday morning (4pm in Hamburg] when the Czech Republic plays Italy.

Rue, Edmonton has Chris Pronger and three forward lines that can run and gun with anything the 'canes throw out there. And the reason Ward had to step up is because the Carolina D is brutal.

Yeah, losing Roloson is a bitch. But it's too damn early and the Oilers played too damn well to call this one just yet. This. Ain't. Over.

Oh Black Dog I am reading back your post today!!! Man you just got to cheer these Oy-lers on. Last night theywere just awesome refusing to die and this with no supposed goalie. Since they lost Rollie man have they stepped up their game to protect their goalie.

Its awesome man. And I am a Habs fan. Man you have to love Chris Pronger.

Tonight! God, this has been a helluva ride. I have to wonder if Carolina has anything left in the tank. They looked gutted on Saturday. But I'm nothing if not cautious and I expect they'll fight like cornered rats tonight.

GOILERS!!!

(And a big "eff you" to Harpo: ain't the PM supossed to represent the entire country?)

HARPER NEUTRAL

EDMONTON -- Prime Minister Stephen Harper was among the Rexall Place crowd on Saturday, but there was no way he was going to put on an Oilers jersey.

Harper, a Calgary MP, said he was rooting for the Flames' provincial NHL rivals -- he just didn't want any photographic evidence to prove it. "That picture would be used against me in Calgary," Harper told TSN

How typically Calgarian....

Dear Black Dog,

I have to wonder if Carolina has anything left in the tank
I don't think so. I think their lacklustre performance Saturday spoke volumes about the fatigue they must have. Still, the finish line is right before both team's eyes. If the Oilers come out pounding, they should hoist the cup. The Oil have shown they have what it takes to win...heart. Not to belittle Carolina, for they are in the cup final too, no easy feat, and they played well enough to win 3 games this series. However, the gruelling pace of the games, and the travel involved, should favour the Oilers, who are more apt to show up with their lunchpails game in and game out. Just one more time...
How typically Calgarian....
Nonsense. I am an 'Oiler fan' even though I live in Calgary (a product of growing up in Lethbridge...back in the early 80's, it seemed the kids were evenly split-50% Flames or Oilers), and I don't mind if Harper doesn't wear an Oilers Jersey...provided he wears none at all.

(And a big "eff you" to Harpo: ain't the PM supossed to represent the entire country?)
HARPER NEUTRAL

EDMONTON -- Prime Minister Stephen Harper was among the Rexall Place crowd on Saturday, but there was no way he was going to put on an Oilers jersey.

Harper, a Calgary MP, said he was rooting for the Flames' provincial NHL rivals -- he just didn't want any photographic evidence to prove it. "That picture would be used against me in Calgary," Harper told TSN

How typically Calgarian...

- BD ... Harper is supposed to be the one totally lacking a sense of humour but clearly he takes second place to you in this category. I realise, of course, that your obvious and obsessive animus and bile to anyone not well to the left of Che Guevera's ghost renders you unable to appreciate a sense of humour or anything else about conservative politicians like Harper and Bush. But clearly, Harper was MAKING A JOKE when he observed that a picture of him wearing an Edmonton jersey would be held against him by Calgary hockey fans.

- The reason he didn't wear an Edmonton jersey is because he is the prime minister not the head male cheerleader or Don Cherry's understudy and he is less likely than your previous heros Jean Chretien and Paul Martin to indulge in cheap and classless publicity stunts.

- Obviously, he is NOT NEUTRAL about the Cup finals which is why he took time out of his busy schedule to fly to Edmonton and cheer the Oilers on in person. Obviously, he understands and appreciates good hockey no matter what team is playing which is why he is writing a history of hockey in Western Canada as a hobby and a labour of love. But to expect him to comport himself like a Don Cherry stand in attired in a hockey jersey and maybe one of Don's nifty hats and multi-coloured jackets is simply stupid and not like the man.

- He was also MAKING A JOKE when he recently observed in Parliament that the Liberals in 13 years in power failed to deliver a Stanley Cup to Canada, that the last Canadian team to win (Montreal in 1993) did so with the Conservatives in power, and that his administration aimed to bring the Cup back home to Canada after the long Liberal drought.

- Just as obviously, he was also MAKING A JOKE recently on the steps leading up to his Centre Block office when he responded to a reporter's question as to whether he was concerned about the alleged terrorists' plot to kidnap, torture and behead him by saying, "Those things don't bother me as long as they're not coming from my own caucus."

- You know, the more I see of Harper's coolness under pressure, his obvious mastery of the complex files he recently took custody of, the focused, businesslike, effective way he and his cabinet do the nation's business, the remarkable progress he has made in mere months in keeping his campaign commitments, AND YES, HIS DRY, UNDERSTATED SENSE OF HUMOUR, the more I see Harper and his government deserving and earning at least a couple of terms as a majority government. This, if nothing else, will lead to partisan lefties like you desperately dregging up anything no matter how absurd to discredit Harper, even whether he wears a certain hockey jersey.

- The more I see of you, on the other hand ....