Harper on TSN Tonight

Word is that the PM is really knowledgeable about hockey. Goes to as many of his son's games as he can. When he was OLO the other dads were shocked at how many games he made it to.

- Shoop ... PM Harper is such an avid hockey fan and has such a knowledge of the game that he has for some time been researching and writing a history of professional hockey in Canada that he hopes to have published some day. While Harper started this book as a hobby a few years ago and never expected to make much money on it (what Canadian writer of Canadian books other than the late Pierre Berton ever did expect to make real money in Canadian publishing?), I daresay his recent elevation to the political catbird seat will do wonders for the sales and profits of his book when he finishes it.

BTW - The opening hockey dad reference here reminds me that perhaps the most normal, representatative, middle class, middle aged Canadian federal party leader we have had in decades is none other than the supposedly "scary" Stephen Harper. Compare his family background, early career and recent financial status and tastes and lifestyle with such bizarrely untypical leaders as the spoiled multi-millionaire snotty kid and long time rootless playboy Trudeau and the born into politics and privelege and preferential access to things like bank money Paul Martin and others to see my point.

- This normality is, I think, a useful thing if one wishes to properly understand and represent and lead that critical mass of Canadians known as the middle class, working, tax paying majority. It is those phony representatives of the middle class like Trudeau and Martin whom I find "scary" or at least in danger of being too out of touch. Harper, it seems, knows and understands the middle class because this is where he comes from. He also has shown an enduring honesty that I hope he will not lose in the artificial and sycophantic Ottawa environment. For example, when the young child grabbed him by the nose in that now famous picture from the other day, Harper did not try to hide his reaction which was a combination of suprise and annoyance. Now if the same kid went for Captain Panama Paul Dither's honker, you can be sure that Martin would instantly go into full charm offensive mode with a big laugh and a broad, sh#t eating grin plastered all over his face. Of course, he wouldn't mean any of it but it would help to con the rubes who buy into the rest of his horsepucky stuff including his 56 "very, very, very important priorities".

Well since we don't have a non-political forum, I shall post this here.

Kiraly's bold predictions for the upcoming Stanley Cup playoffs:

Round One.

Detroit versus Edmonton

Seems like every year Edmonton finds themselves in this situation – facing off against the best club in the west. I think Edmonton will do better than expected, but goaltending ultimately will hurt them. Detroit in six.

Dallas versus Colorado

The Stars and Av’s are always a great matchup, I don’t think that will change this year. Colorado didn’t have their best year by any stretch of the imagination, but I find it difficult to write them off easily. If Theodore can find his game, I think Colorado can upset here. Colorado in seven.

Calgary versus Anaheim

Goaltending is so important in the playoffs and Kiprusoff is one of the best. Coupled with perhaps the best defensive core in the league, Calgary will prevail over Anaheim. Calgary in five.

Nashville versus San Jose

With the loss of Vokoun for the playoffs, I predict this to be the most lopsided first round encounter. The dynamic duo should lead the first round in scoring putting quite a few biscuits past Mason. Toskala will frustrate Kariya and friends. San Jose sweeps.

Ottawa versus Tampa Bay

Unfortunately for Tampa Khabibulin isn’t in net, Grahame is. I think Ottawa has too much firepower for the Lightning to handle. If Hasek was playing at 100%, I would put money on Ottawa to go all the way. But even with Emery in net, Ottawa should take this easily. Ottawa in five.

Carolina versus Montreal

Huet wil be starting the series. The young goaltender recorded 7 shutouts playing in less than half of the games. Huet also has the league’s best save percentage. Although he is young and unproven, I still feel the Habs have the edge in goal. Carolina’s finish was less than stellar. Some suggest that they had the division locked up and coasted the last month of the season. Can they turn it back on? I say they don’t. Montreal in six.

New Jersey versus New York

I like the young Ranger goaltender, but the edge has to be given to the much more experienced Brodeur. Although the Rangers have a great first line, can the rest of the team contribute. The Devils, a more balanced squad will give New York fits. New Jersey in five.

Buffalo versus Philadelphia

I like the Sabres tandem of Biron and Miller much better then Phlllie’s Esche and Nyittimaki. I don’t believe Forsberg is 100%, which will seriously jeopardize their chances in this series. I think Buffalo’s speed trumps Philadelphia’s brawn. Buffalo in five.

Round Two

Detroit versus Colorado

Another classic matchup. I find if very difficult to predict an upset over the President trophy winning Wings. Colorado should be quite beat after their first round battle the with Stars. Detroit in five.

Calgary versus San Jose

Kiprusoff versus Toskala/Nabokov. Kiprusoff may be better, but the Sharks have more firepower. San Jose in six.

Ottawa versus Montreal

Building upon the confidence after beating Tampa, Ottawa should have little problem with Montreal, especially if Hasek is back – although I doubt he will be the Hasek of old. Ottawa in five.

New Jersey versus Buffalo

My heart says Sabres, but I don’t think they are “there” yet. Experience over youth shall prevail in this series. New Jersey in seven.

Round Three

Detroit versus San Jose

Conventional wisdom would suggest that Detroit should prevail. Call me unconventional as I’m going with Thornton, Cheechoo and Toskala to come out on top. San Jose in seven

Ottawa versus New Jersey

See above re conventional thinking. New Jersey in seven

Stanley Cup Finals

New Jersey versus San Jose.

It’s a pick ‘em to be decided in overtime in game seven. Prediction: Langenbrunner scores in the second overtime frame: Devils win the Cup.

Here's my take on the Western Conference.

My beloved Oilers are in for big trouble. Look for the Detroit sweep.

I can't see Theodore finding his game. Dallas is too good anyways. Dallas in five.

Calgary is in for a very tough series. Calgary in seven.

I'll give you the San Jose sweep.

I don't follow the East closely enough to venture a guess...

Geoff's picks:

Western Conference

Detroit vs. Edmonton

- Detroit is too skilled for lackluster Edmonton, who's goaltending is streaky at best.

- Edmonton will grind old Detroit into the ice though, and will hurt any chance of Detroit succeeding later

- Detroit in five

Dallas vs. Colorado

- Dallas has staying power and durability. Their strength will give them an advantage over Colorado, despite the greater skill I think Colorado has.

- Dallas in six

Calgary vs. Anahiem

- Kipper, enough said.

- Anahiem was whining about the Flames being too physical in the two games leading up to the playoffs. How will they be able to survive a series?

- Calgary in six

Nashville vs. San Jose

- Nashville is a great balanced team. They are missing Vokoun, but I think they have the ability to push through San Jose, who I think its highly over-rated. None the less, it will be a drawn out very close series.

- Nashville in seven (with lots of overtime)

Eastern Conference

Ottawa vs. Tampa Bay

- Is there even a challenge here?

- Ottawa sweeps

Carolina vs. Montreal

- Montreal is on a roll sort of right now, and they have the better goalie, who has proven himself in some high stress situations. That being said, Carolina has a major advantage in skill.

- Montreal in seven

New Jersey vs. New York R.

- New York has always been the one hit wonder line. I just don't think they have the ability to play that one line out against a gritty (for the East) Devil's team.

- Jersey in six

Buffalo vs. Philadelphia

- Philadelphia's strength will crush buffalo. Esche is enough to get them by, they have a diversified team now, all capable of dealing out a physical game. Also, they have the scoring to get by even if Forsberg isn't 100%. When is Forsberg ever 100%?

- Philadelphia in six

Round two

Detriot vs. Nashville

- Detriot and Nashville are both teams I don't think have much enforcement and hard hitting power. So I'll give it to the more skilled team.

- Detroit in five

Dallas vs. Calgary

- Kipper has got the Flames this far, and this will be the biggest test. Dallas is the only team as strong as Calgary. This will be one of the best series in years if you like rough, gritty hockey with plenty of fights. Calgary has picked up the scoring as of late, from secondary sources... add in Iginla's playoff brilliance and we've got a winning team.

- Calgary in seven bloody, hard fought, trench war games

Ottawa vs. Montreal

- What a rivalry series, going to be good to watch, hopefully it alternates with the Calgary/Dallas series haha. Ottawa has too much firepower and overall ability for Montreal though, I don't expect the habs to put up a fight.

- Ottawa in five

New Jersey vs. Philadelphia

- Another great series, more gritty than most you'd see from the wimpy East. Brodeur is far superiour to Esche, so he'll take it.

- Jersey in six, low scoring

Finals

Detroit vs. Calgary

- Detriot is bruised and battered from Edmonton, too fragile and old to recover, the Flames finish the job and grind them into the ice.

- Calgary in six

Ottawa vs. New Jersey

- Ottawa's firepower will be an interesting match against Brodeur in net. I don't think Ottawa has the goaltending to pull through, even if Hasek pulls through (which he won't, or will get re-injured, the guy is a flake).

- Jersey in five

Stanley Cup

Calgary vs. New Jersey

- Brodeur vs. Kipper. Kipper is better. If Calgary can gain scoring from the likes of Kobasew and Lombardi and maintain scoring from Phaneuf, they will win.

- Calgary in six

-----

Kiraly,

You value that scoring touch too much. These playoffs will be decided on physical play and who can beat the other team into submission. We saw it last playoffs with much less physical teams. The strongest will win.

Round One.

Detroit versus Edmonton

It seems that Detroit always needs to be reminded that they're in the playoff and are often caught sleeping in the first round. I think if Roloson plays even OK that Edmonton can stretch this one to seven. Detroit in Seven

Dallas versus Colorado

This is a great matchup, that much is true. I also think that Colorado is a shadow of what it was the last time they won anything and they have a slumping goalie to boot. Dallas in 5.

Calgary versus Anaheim

Goaltending, goaltending, goaltending. Kiprusoff is a good one too. But even with perhaps the best defensive core in the league, Calgary will prevail over Anaheim only if they can score. Calgary in seven.

Nashville is overrated. They racked up most of those points playing 8 games apeice against

3 of the worst 4 teams in the league. San Jose in four.

Ottawa versus Tampa Bay

I think that the defenders of Lord Stanley's Cup will prove to be scrappy if nothing else. They will lose, but only because Ottawa out-goals them. Ottawa in six.

Carolina versus Montreal

Hip, Hip, Huet! I think this kid steals a long hard series for Montreal. That combined with a Carolina team that is coasting into the post season will produce a Montreal win. Montreal in seven.

Marty Brodeur. Need I say more? I think the kid in net in New York finally finds out what pressure really is and chokes. New Jersey in six.

The Sabres power play and penalty killing is going to give the Flyers fits like they've never seen. Combine that with one goalie with a case of playoff asphixiation, and another unproven in the Flyer net and that translates to a Buffalo win. Buffalo in six.

Kiraly,

You value that scoring touch too much. These playoffs will be decided on physical play and who can beat the other team into submission. We saw it last playoffs with much less physical teams. The strongest will win.

In 2001, the faster Buffalo team handily defeated Philadelphia. I'm hoping to see a similar result this year. :)

I think if the officials continue to call the game in the playoffs as they have in the regular season, then quicker teams will fare better than slower/bigger squads. The bigger teams can still lay out the hits, but the real advantage is when they're allowed to clutch, grab, and interfere. Take that weapon away from their arsenal and guys like Afinogenov, Briere, and Connoly will have the ability to fly on the ice...

...something they had a hard time doing in the "old" NHL.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. TSN will be broadcasting the Flyers/Sabres game tomorrow at 7:00 local time. I'm really looking forward to it.

CBC has Flames vs. Ducks tonight. I wish I didn't have an exam (in a course that I'm failing) at 8am tomorrow. Wish I could hit the mile tonight but it's just not in cards.

I agree with you, in game 1, in game 2, yes, the faster teams will prevail. But alot of the faster teams can't stand up to 7 straight games of punishment. Do you actually think Detriot could stand 7 games in a row getting hit by Phaneuf and Simon? No way. That's how the big teams are going to win, just bruising the others late into the series to the point where they can't play their game.

Detroit versus Edmonton

Best team in hockey gets a scare, but still just to much for the Oil. Detroit in 6

Dallas versus Colorado

Colarado in one of the major western upsets in 6. Just feels right.

Calgary versus Anaheim

The western upset. Calgary's already planning the parade; Giguere's heroics and a resurgent Selanne spoil the party on the Red Block-And-A-Half. This one goes the distance.

San Jose has too much firepower for the Vokun-less Preds. Sharks in 5

Ottawa versus Tampa Bay

The Cup favorite and Cup champ match up come sdown to who's goaltending is worse. Ottawa squeaks by in 6.

Carolina versus Montreal

Montreal can go with two solid goaltenders, but their offence is spotty and defense is suspect. Still, Gainey is not to be underestimated and if the Habs find a groove they could make this one a upset. Best series in the east ends with the Habs itaking it in six.

Jersey is good, but a shadow of their former glory. The Rangers, playing with nothing to lose, find a way to win in seven.

Too much Forsberg. Flyers fnd their groove at the Sabres expense. Philly in 5.

Detroit versus Edmonton

Best team in hockey gets a scare, but still just to much for the Oil. Detroit in 6

Dallas versus Colorado

Colarado in one of the major western upsets in 6. Just feels right.

Calgary versus Anaheim

The western upset. Calgary's already planning the parade; Giguere's heroics and a resurgent Selanne spoil the party on the Red Block-And-A-Half. This one goes the distance.

San Jose has too much firepower for the Vokun-less Preds. Sharks in 5

Ottawa versus Tampa Bay

The Cup favorite and Cup champ match up come sdown to who's goaltending is worse. Ottawa squeaks by in 6.

Carolina versus Montreal

Montreal can go with two solid goaltenders, but their offence is spotty and defense is suspect. Still, Gainey is not to be underestimated and if the Habs find a groove they could make this one a upset. Best series in the east ends with the Habs itaking it in six.

Jersey is good, but a shadow of their former glory. The Rangers, playing with nothing to lose, find a way to win in seven.

Too much Forsberg. Flyers fnd their groove at the Sabres expense. Philly in 5.

I agree with that almost 100%. I feel that Buffalo is gonna get by Philly though. Too much speed, if the refs call the game tight, big Hatcher and Co. will be toast.

As for everyone calling for a sweep in Ott vs TBay, I'm a rabid Sens fan, in Ottawa, and I don't think that is in the cards. I agree we have a ton of firepower, but so does Tampa. Emery will be shaky and nervous for at least one game, and one of the Tampa goalies are bound to be hot for at least one game.

My conclusion basically is, this will be tighter than people expect. Ottawa in 7.

CBC has Flames vs. Ducks tonight. I wish I didn't have an exam (in a course that I'm failing) at 8am tomorrow. Wish I could hit the mile tonight but it's just not in cards.

I agree with you, in game 1, in game 2, yes, the faster teams will prevail. But alot of the faster teams can't stand up to 7 straight games of punishment. Do you actually think Detriot could stand 7 games in a row getting hit by Phaneuf and Simon? No way. That's how the big teams are going to win, just bruising the others late into the series to the point where they can't play their game.

I agree with you to a point, but when the skill is up 3-0 the braun really doesn't matter.

Calgary versus Anaheim

Giguere is injured tonight, hopefully for a few more games. No Giguere.. flames win hands down.

Admit it, you just hate Calgary. <_<:lol:

Calgary versus Anaheim

Giguere is injured tonight, hopefully for a few more games. No Giguere.. flames win hands down.

Admit it, you just hate Calgary. <_<:lol:

Hmm that wasn't a cake walk for Calgary.

Good game to Kipper for saving his teams bacon.

Anaheim is no push over.. Calgary better call off the parade and make sure they get down to buisness.

I think I know the rules of hockey but the teams mentioned are completely meaningless to me. Carolina? Is there a hockey team in South (North?) Carolina? Why?

Some time ago, I was driving in the southern United States, listening to the radio and there was call-in sports programme discussing (I think) college basketball. The discussion made absolutely no sense to me but the announcer was humourous so I listened.

Then, he brought on a 7 year old girl to make predictions of which team would win which game on the weekend. He'd read the two college names, and she'd pick one of them in her childish voice. It was a long list.

So, in a similar spirit, here are my predictions:

Western Conference

Detroit vs. Edmonton

Detroit (Motown!)

Dallas vs. Colorado

Dallas (JFK died there)

Calgary vs. Anahiem

Anaheim (that's where Disneyland is)

Nashville vs. San Jose

Nashville (Elvis)

Eastern Conference

Ottawa vs. Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay (Is that the Tampa in Florida? Ice hockey?)

Carolina vs. Montreal

Montreal (Chauvinistic)

New Jersey vs. New York R.

New York, New York

Buffalo vs. Philadelphia

Philadelphia (Cheese)

Round two

Detriot vs. Nashville

Detroit (Diana Ross is better than the King)

Dallas vs. Anaheim

Donald Duck gets the nod

Tampa vs. Montreal

Tampa (warmer)

New York vs. Philadelphia

New York (Philadelphia is ugly compared to Manhattan)

Finals

Detroit vs. Anaheim

Toughie - the prima donna beats the duck - Detroit

Tampa vs. New York

Tampa (the idea that Florida has a hockey team is so, uh, cool)

Stanley Cup

Detroit vs. Tampa

Detroit (didn't Gordie Howe play in Detroit? They must have a good hockey team.)

So, there you have it. You can make bets with the certainty that my predictions are based on the best available information. And remember you heard it here first.

[Did I mix up any of those cities?]

- I'm still grieving over the failure of my Maple Leafs to make the playoffs. Of course, it wasn't a total surprise. The Leafs this year suffered from a serious drug problem - formaldahyde. For most of the season, the busiest red light district in Toronto was the area directly behind the Leafs' goal. Maybe this was because the sign "anyone caught interferring with the play will be ejected from the stadium" was interpretted by the Leafs' defencemen as applying to them. And the team especially at the start of the season was just too old. After all, when they need a second trainer just to deal with the varicose veins you know the team is too old.

- Oh well, there's always next year and the forty years after that.

- I'm still grieving over the failure of my Maple Leafs to make the playoffs. Of course, it wasn't a total surprise. The Leafs this year suffered from a serious drug problem - formaldahyde. For most of the season, the busiest red light district in Toronto was the area directly behind the Leafs' goal. Maybe this was because the sign "anyone caught interferring with the play will be ejected from the stadium" was interpretted by the Leafs' defencemen as applying to them. And the team especially at the start of the season was just too old. After all, when they need a second trainer just to deal with the varicose veins you know the team is too old.

- Oh well, there's always next year and the forty years after that.

That was one of the most satirical and depressing posts made by a Leafs fan I've ever seen.

Cheer up mate, you're no fun to make fun of if you don't defend your Leafs with unbridled , unjustified vigor and zeal like the rest of the Leaf Nation :(

The Mighty Oil played a solid game two to win in Detroit.

Now they are going back home with a confident Dwayne Roloson, the pandemonium of Rexall Centre fans seeing their first playoff game in three weeks, last change to take advantage of line matchups and the bonus of younger legs for a serious that looks like it is going to last for a while.

Could a Flames Oilers match up in round two be in the offing?

Now they are going back home with a confident Dwayne Roloson, the pandemonium of Rexall Centre fans seeing their first playoff game in three weeks, last change to take advantage of line matchups and the bonus of younger legs for a serious that looks like it is going to last for a while.

I certainly hope so. I'm curious to see if Gigure starts tonight, if he doesn't, Flames have the series.

Admit it, you just hate Calgary

Well...yeah! :P

There's nothing I'd like more than to see the Flames crushed and driven from the Saddledome and to hear the lamentations of their fans.

Isn't it amazing what taking the worst player in the entire league (Georges Laraque) out of your lineup can do? That said, I really don't like them leading me on like this. I know teh crushing dissapointment is coming.

How 'bout those Habs, eh?

I certainly hope so. I'm curious to see if Gigure starts tonight, if he doesn't, Flames have the series.

He did and look what happened. :D