Member Number

Greg, is there any way to suppress this information?

Does it help anyone to know the order in which we first registered on Maple Leaf Web? Is this useful information?

Vladimir Lenin was apparently Member #1 in the CPSU. Subsequent members attentively compared the number written in their party book. Sad, and bureaucratic.

Dear August1991,

Does it help anyone to know the order in which we first registered on Maple Leaf Web? Is this useful information?

It isn't much more than a factoid, I don't see why it would need to be hidden.
Vladimir Lenin was apparently Member #1 in the CPSU. Subsequent members attentively compared the number written in their party book. Sad, and bureaucratic.
Evidently Hitler was #7 in the NSDAP, and the party badgeswith low numbers became desirable, to show how 'faithful' one was to the party. Some of the lower numbers were saved and given out later to favoured Nazis.

I don't think this is possible here, nor would it mean anything if it happened.

Meh!...

....newbies.

:D

I keed, I keed.

Evidently Hitler was #7 in the NSDAP, and the party badgeswith low numbers became desirable, to show how 'faithful' one was to the party. Some of the lower numbers were saved and given out later to favoured Nazis.

Greg. you don't have any spare numbers in the low to mid 20's do you?

It seems to me like there would be better things to do then find a way to take down the listing of member numbers. It seems a bit like Political Correctness gone awry, especially to suggest a parrallel to the Communist Party and subsequently the Soviet Union. Its a bit like saying Adolf Hitler had a dog, you know who else had a dog... Anyways I promise not to go around gloating that I am member 151, which has two ones in it making me twice as good as number one, a person who subsequently doesn't exist. Making me twice as good as no one. That there displays the importance member numbers have, none. So why then should we waste valuable time to take down something of no importance. Maybe then we might say we should get rid of the post count, perhaps the search function should go after all itc ould be used to find the oldest member, perhaps maybe we are just looking for problems that don't exist or don't need to be found.

hmm...after posting this I just noticted that we both joined on the 15th of Febuary, never noticted that before.

• Forum Admin
Greg,

We know you're number 2, and that's why you try harder.

But who is(was) number 1?

Suprislying enough, there isn't a number one! If you take a look at the list of members (in order of registration - you'll need to sort the list by join-date), you can see I'm on top of the list. The first six people to join the forums are former employees of the project (except for Harold - he's our senior editor).

When I originally installed the forum, it assigned me the member number 2 automatically. However, we're not even using the same forum software that I originally installed (which was Ultimate Bulletin Board), so messing with the member numbers now might be difficult.

I am in the process of rebuilding the templates so that the forums have the same look as the rest of MLW. I meant to do this long ago, but other projects (policy.ca, my masters's thesis) and a new family member have been taking up a great deal of my time lately. I am also considering a redesign of MLW, which means even more work.

Perhaps I will use the MLW forums as a testing group for a new look for MLW.

Possibly - I will consider this when I complete the redesign.

I'll keep everyone notified!

• Forum Admin
Greg, if you don't mind, can you explain your thesis? I would love to know what it is on.

My thesis was on the use of the Internet during elections - or more precisely, how political parties use the Internet during their campaigns.

The thesis examined the differences between what voters wanted from a campaign website and what political parties were actually providing on their campaign websites. I conducted a series of focus groups and the results of those discussions provided insight into what potential voters wanted from a campaign website. I then followed up with an analysis of the Conservative, Liberal, Bloc Quebecois, Green and New Democratic Party campaign websites during the 2004 federal election. The results provided a glimpse at what the political parties were providing during the campaign.

The results of my research show that was a significant imbalance between what the political parties in Canada were providing and what the focus groups mentioned they wanted from a campaign website. The participants wanted more engaging and mobilizing features, while the campaign websites used during the 2004 election lacked these types of features. I then finish the thesis with some recommendation for improving the use of the Internet for campaigns.

Also, what was the reason to starting this forum? Was is a project as well?

This forum was started soon after Maple Leaf Web was created. Originally, Maple Leaf Web started out as a links directory, but after a year of simply linking to other sources of information, we decided that we need to produce our own content. This forum, much like this site, started small and has gone through many changes.

Let us know, we are inquiring minds!

Feel free to ask questions and I'll try my best to answer them!

Cheers,

Greg

Why is the sky blue???? :D:D:D

Here in Lotus Land we say "why is the sky grey" ... rains all the time ... we don't tan, we rust.

Pretty depressing. Add to that Teddy's suspension and it's enough to make you sing the blues. Greg should put up a karaoke forum.

Anyhow, in solidarity with Teddy Ballgame I'm OUT OF HERE. Not a peep until he's allowed back. Unless I break down while using my listening handle, of course.

Auf Wiedersehen!!!! :angry: :angry:

Dear PocketRocket,

Cool. Here goes.

Why is the sky blue????

You had one question to ask and that is it??? Not 'What is the meaning of life"? Does Satan wear underpants? How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Well, as I understand it, the atmoshere acts as a prism, and the refraction of the sun's rays through this medium sends forth the blue part of the spectrum.

A more appropos question might have been, "Why is this forum blue?", but I like it. Non-offensive, easy on the eyes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Admin
Precisely a month ago (give it a day or two) you gave my friend, Teddy Ballgame, a month's suspension (unwaranted, imho), and I was wondering whether you contacted him yet with the good news that the suspension is now up?

No, Teddy Ballgame was told that he could return in 30 days. There is no need to invite him back.

Dear PocketRocket,

Yes, T-BAG. Always a pressure, um, pleasure.

You had one question to ask and that is it???

Yeah. Wanna make somethin' of it??? Huh??? Do ya??? LOL

Not 'What is the meaning of life"?

Nope. The meaning of life is Peppermint Schnapps with beer chasers.

Does Satan wear underpants?

Yes. Fruit of the Loon(ies).

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

All of it, given adequate time. Or QCW=wxT/(HW) (Whereas QCW=quantity of "chucked" wood, w= number of woodchucks, T=alotted time, HW=hardness of said wood)

Well, as I understand it, the atmoshere acts as a prism, and the refraction of the sun's rays through this medium sends forth the blue part of the spectrum.

This is the reason commonly accepted by the scientific community. But we all know that in this, a political forum, science, facts, etc, have only a cursory place.

So, the REAL reason the sky is blue is because if it was green, we wouldn't know when to stop mowing.

A more appropos question might have been, "Why is this forum blue?", but I like it. Non-offensive, easy on the eyes.

Blue. Hmm. Which political party's colour is blue???

Must be that good old Conservative bias that a few of the members regularly insist is displayed here.

This is, of course, only when a few other members are not complaining about the Liberal bias shown here.

• Forum Admin

No conspiracy here - the forums are blue because this is the default template/skin for this forum software. When I upgraded the forums early last year, the templates/skins that were originally used in this forums (which matched the rest of Mapleleafweb.com) had to be discarded due to compatability problems with the upgrade. Unfortunatley, with my duties as Project Manager for both Mapleleafweb.com and Policy.ca, along with my Masters's thesis, I was unable to complete the required modifications to the new templates - hence why we're stuck with the default.

However, look forward to a complete redesign of these forums (and all of mapleleafweb.com) in the next month or so. It will still be slightly blue, but a whole lot prettier ;)