Show me the Homeland Security and I will show you..

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/28/...in1444696.shtml

Thompson said the public opposition in Dillingham comes from a misunderstanding. The cameras, all of which won’t be fully operational until summer, take still pictures every 15 minutes. They have no audio. The images will be stored only if there is a crime, he said.

Every 15 minutes? That seems not long enough, unless they all take a pic one after another. From the article it is a camera for every 30 residents there, and 200,000 dollars was spent to install these bad boys. Looks like they are installing the basic camera there.

http://www.independis.ca/products/models They should be using the M10M-Basic from that chart. The only one without a microphone.

How comfortable are you with having cameras everywhere?

Very.

As long as the evidence gathered can only be used in crimes that are above the misdemeanor level, I'm fine with it.

Would we have a problem hiring policemen to stand everywhere if we could afford it ?

Think of the cameras as automated policemen.

Very.

As long as the evidence gathered can only be used in crimes that are above the misdemeanor level, I'm fine with it.

Would we have a problem hiring policemen to stand everywhere if we could afford it ?

Think of the cameras as automated policemen.

Think "1984."

Why, its not 1984, we have no massive government beating us into political submission. How silly.

Walking around downtown at night or leaving the office or university late, I'd love to have cameras. Discourages people from mugging me or whatever else. If I were a woman, I'd be even more in favour of having them in urban places.

Why, its not 1984, we have no massive government beating us into political submission. How silly.

Walking around downtown at night or leaving the office or university late, I'd love to have cameras. Discourages people from mugging me or whatever else. If I were a woman, I'd be even more in favour of having them in urban places.

So I would guess they are using the cameras for more domestic spying than anything. Seems to me the government does not trust it's own citizens. But then again this is all for fighting international terrorism.

I love waiving to the cameras at the US Embassy here in downtown Ottawa. Even smoking a joint in the park behind the Embassy. Take mah picture!!

More cameras means more security right?

1984 was written in 1948, and described a lot of the controls the USSR was implementing at that time.

In 2006 we're in a totally different world. The cold war is yesterday's news and societal controls such as the ones described in the book only appear in science fiction, or backwaters like North Korea.

Oh right. Domestic spying how could I forget.

Well, best be removing all cameras from stores, all that 'corporate spying.' Or from high crime areas... I mean, wouldn't want to offend someone, I'd rather them get raped or murdered.

Sheesh, what are you afraid of? No one is out to get you.

1984 was written in 1948, and described a lot of the controls the USSR was implementing at that time.

In 2006 we're in a totally different world. The cold war is yesterday's news and societal controls such as the ones described in the book only appear in science fiction, or backwaters like North Korea.

It was meant as sarcasm. But with the amount of info out there on everyone of us, I'm not totally comfortable with even more surveillance. What's next, the bathroom stall?

Oh right. Domestic spying how could I forget.

Well, best be removing all cameras from stores, all that 'corporate spying.' Or from high crime areas... I mean, wouldn't want to offend someone, I'd rather them get raped or murdered.

Sheesh, what are you afraid of? No one is out to get you.

Stores are private property and they can have all the cameras they want in there.

Those other cameras are on public property, owned by everyone.

So we need all these cameras?

This is not for international terrorism. All these cameras are for domestic terrorism.

Loss of faith and trust in it's own citizens.

I don't mind security cameras in some places, but London was spooky. There were govt security cameras everywhere.

I hope Canada never gets like that.

I hope so as well. I used to live in the Market of downtown Ottawa, and there are quite a few cameras down there. There are cameras at every embassy (granted) a few for the New RO (local channel) and some just for trarffic. Overall not bad for the capitol of Canada. I don't feel like my privacy is being invaded. I can clearly see a few cameras, but other than that, they are hard to find downtown.

Monty, how many cameras could you point out at a glance? Got any nice pictures of London?

There used to be a couple cameras on building-tops in downtown Sudbury (my home).

Over the course of a few years, they were directly responsible for several arrests for offenses ranging from assault and battery to prostitution to mugging.

The cameras were outdoors, on public property (or at least recording the action on public property).

They did not catch any images which could not be seen by any passer-by.

They were removed for financial reasons a couple years ago.

Too bad, really.

They had become an effective deterrent, and a good tool for the police, and far less expensive than having a couple cops permanently assigned to walking a beat in the area.

There used to be a couple cameras on building-tops in downtown Sudbury (my home).

Over the course of a few years, they were directly responsible for several arrests for offenses ranging from assault and battery to prostitution to mugging.

The cameras were outdoors, on public property (or at least recording the action on public property).

They did not catch any images which could not be seen by any passer-by.

They were removed for financial reasons a couple years ago.

Too bad, really.

They had become an effective deterrent, and a good tool for the police, and far less expensive than having a couple cops permanently assigned to walking a beat in the area.

My hometown!! :) I used to have a DJ shop downtown where hooker alley was. Fun times.