SCC allows kirpans

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Canadians are protected by Charter in matters of religious beliefs, that all but the most wanton bigot, can accept without difficulty. By your standard there is no limit by which Canada can address issues of public safety if it potentially infringes on an individuals right to carry a lethal weapon.

The Supreme Count UNANIMOUSLY DISAGREES with your assessment that the kirpan is a "lethal weapon".

I highly doubt you've ever even seen one.

The court has ruled. Get over it.

You might not be familiar with the saying 'you give an inch, they take a mile'.

You might not be famiiar with the saying "slippery-slope arguments are for fools and the intellectually dishonest" (though that's probably because I just made it up myself--good saying though).

I'm quite disappointed with people willing to sell off our values under the thin veil of public safety. If we can't live with tolerance, peace and understanding between cultures in the greatest country in the world, how do we expect people in other parts of the world to do so?

There has never been a public safety issue with kirpans, save the account cited about lunatic terrorists; however, as I hope everyone is well aware, they don't need to be carrying kirpans to cause death and destruction.

I can't believe people actually use the line, "go to their country and see how you're treated," as if that's a valid argument. We're not trying to be like those countries, we're trying to show that we're the most civilized country on the planet. We're trying to be a place where EVERYONE can live in peace, and that's never going to happen if people continue to be ignorant and intolerant of other cultures.

The way some of you are reacting, you'd think the supreme court just ruled that Sikh's are allowed to murder school children. It's too bad some of you can't see how patently absurd that is.

Do you honestly think the majority of people in our secular society could ever relate to an orthodox sikh with those big turbans, ridiculous beards, costumes and knives? They are curious relics of another age from a land where goat herding is still considered high technology.

Keep bringing it on. This is an interesting insight into the ignorance and intollerance that exists - sadly - in our society.

Oh gee, but not all of us can be so extraordinarily broad minded and tolerant and noble as you are. I mean, some of us have, like, standards and stuff.

I have Sikh neighbours.

Wow, really? I bet you even eat curry and stuff. I bet you're just the most wonderful guy who is open and loving to all cultures and religions and gets a warm, gooey feeling inside every time he spots an ethnic person!

My neighbour is a member of modern day Canadian society. Get used to it.

Your neighbour is a transplanted Indian goat herder who won't cut his hair because God told him not to.

It's interesting you call Sikh Canadians "curious relics".

Yes, I'd say the same of anyone who wore ancient costumes everywhere they went.

Because its ridiculous! Just like these Sihks.

Sihks aren't ridiculous. They are proud and noble and worthy Canadians.

Roll out some more hate and intollerance....this is fun.

If these people don't want to be Canadians like the rest of us,

I think you should re-consider. I don't see a person with intollerant and hateful attitudes like your own to be truely Canadian.

All these quotes remind me of people saying, "if black people would act more white they'd be respected."

You mean if they weren't involved in violent crime about ten times as often as Whites?

Yer probably right.

Do you honestly think the majority of people in our secular society could ever relate to an orthodox sikh with those big turbans, ridiculous beards, costumes and knives? They are curious relics of another age from a land where goat herding is still considered high technology.

Keep bringing it on. This is an interesting insight into the ignorance and intollerance that exists - sadly - in our society.

Oh gee, but not all of us can be so extraordinarily broad minded and tolerant and noble as you are. I mean, some of us have, like, standards and stuff.

I have Sikh neighbours.

Wow, really? I bet you even eat curry and stuff. I bet you're just the most wonderful guy who is open and loving to all cultures and religions and gets a warm, gooey feeling inside every time he spots an ethnic person!

Your neighbour is a transplanted Indian goat herder who won't cut his hair because God told him not to.

That's their choice. What's your problem with them having the freedom to choose their own religion and the courage to practice it in the face of ignorant people who choose to mock them?

When in Rome do what the Romans do. When in Canada, do what we do. I was really upset they allowed the turbans in the RCMP. That is NOT, I repeat NOT discrimination.

Oh yes it is. It's intollerant and hateful also. But most importantly, it's extremely ignorant also. Many of those people wearing turbans ARE CANADIAN.

Bullshit. Only guys like you consider them Canadian. Most of us just consider them wierd, walking along in their big turbans and costumes and carrying knifes. They are outsiders, and deliberately keeping themselves as outsiders.

If you don't like Canada and what it is I invite you to move someplace else.

Seen this sort of thing before. Obvious answer is that you and your ilk would be happier if YOU left Canada. Just think of all the delightful ethnics you'd get to meet! "Ooo! Oooo! Gloria! Look, a little black boy! Get the camera, Gloria! Get a picture of me hugging the little black boy! Just wait until the gang at the United Church see me! They'll be so jealous!"

My Canada is multi-cultural. That doesn't mean we allow immigrants and expect them to conform and become "Canadian" in some shape or form after we've given them citizenship.

No, of course not, because like, Canada is a boring place and has no culture and we wouldn't want to deprive these goat herders from their wonderful backward society of the benefits of remaining living museum pieces so bleeding hear liberals like you could get a mushy feeling every time he gets to rub an ethnic's head or something.

It means they ARE CANADIAN after they get thier citizenship and we are HAPPY to see them keep all of who they are when they arrived in this nation.

Of course. It's not like there's anything special or admirable about Canada. Why would they want to give up a foreign culture of violence and brutal patriarchial interollance to become Canadian? By all means, beat your women and kill them if they get out of line! We do so admire your lovely, ancient culture! Say, can we come over and watch you set fire to your wife some night!?

Because its ridiculous! Just like these Sihks.

Sihks aren't ridiculous. They are proud and noble and worthy Canadians.

Roll out some more hate and intollerance....this is fun.

So let's piss on them because we don't understand them. Good idea.

If you have no interest or ability or willingness to blend in with the mainstream and adopt our culture and value system then we definitely should not be bringing you to Canada. We should be encouraging them - strongly - to adapt our ways, not cling to their own barbaric cultures.

I've asked a couple of Sikhs about this issue and have been ensured that children are taught that improper usage of the kirpan would be sacreligious and would not be tolerated. Sikh children are taught that the kirpan is a symbol and as such has no other actual use. The day I see a Sikh child peeling an apple with a kirpan I will start to worry for my childrens safety.

It's unfortunate this post went unnoticed because it hits the nail right on the head.

Because everyone knows if you teach your child it's not right to hit others, or bully others, or grope girls, or swear, then they will always obey. That's why there are no fights in schools, no bullying and no sexual assault.

Okay, I'm being facitious. Everyone knows that this WOULD be the situation except for those parents who actually tell their kids its okay to hit and bully and grope people, darn them!

You might not be familiar with the saying 'you give an inch, they take a mile'. Do not sell your Canadian values short and bow to the religious pressure. the RCMP is purley a Candian Icon.

What would you know about things Canadian? You're not Canadian.

Would someone like you, who clearly hates everything about Canada, be the one to make that judgement?

I have Sikh neighbours.

That's their choice. What's your problem with them having the freedom to choose their own religion and the courage to practice it in the face of ignorant people who choose to mock them?

My problem is with a government which brings relics like this to Canada, along with other religious wackos in turbans.

All Canadians are protected by Charter in matters of religious beliefs, that all but the most wanton bigot, can accept without difficulty. By your standard there is no limit by which Canada can address issues of public safety if it potentially infringes on an individuals right to carry a lethal weapon.

The Supreme Count UNANIMOUSLY DISAGREES with your assessment that the kirpan is a "lethal weapon".

I didn't vote for the Supreme Court. I don't care what they say about anything. Fire all of them and replace them with better judges and the decision would be different.

I have Sikh neighbours.

My problem is with a government which brings relics like this to Canada, along with other religious wackos in turbans.

I guess if black people just stayed in Africa, all the US problems would be solved too, right?

I'm quite disappointed with people willing to sell off our values under the thin veil of public safety. If we can't live with tolerance, peace and understanding between cultures in the greatest country in the world, how do we expect people in other parts of the world to do so?

Is anyone saying we should shoot them? What people are saying is that you don't let religious wackos carry weapons, especially religious wackos from a religion very well-known for commiting acts of violence in the name of their religion. These people attacked each other with swords and knives over the momentous controversy of whether they could have chairs in their temple. We all have to get to the airport an hour earlier than previous because Sikhs like to blow up airplanes. We have metal detectors in court houses because Sikhs like to shoot people.

No one is saying they shouldn't be able to wear their funny costumes if they want to, but there are hundreds of religions in this country. We now have a precedent which says they can carry weapons if their religion says they should. What happens when one of the smaller and wackier cults decides this means they can carry larger blades, or firearms, and their local Diety writes that into his "laws"? Do we say no to them because there aren't as many of them as there are Sikhs, or because their religion is funnier and wierder than Sikhs?

And btw, respecting Sikhs should not include, as it has now, being so afraid of causing offense we let them murder their children for acting against their wishes.

I guess if black people just stayed in Africa, all the US problems would be solved too, right?

Maybe you could tell us about all the Sikhs dragged over here against their will in slave ships.

And everyone's saying, "well they might use it if their life is in danger."

No crap they'd use it if their life was in danger.....and they'd be completely justified to do so as would anyone in Canada.

Except I'm not allowed to carry a weapon. They are!

No need for weapons to be carried in cities in Canada. Thats the bottom line. They can practice their religion until it impedes on the well being of others. And public safety is compromised with people with daggers walking the streets. No weapons in our streets!

Yes you are.

You can't just carry a large dagger or sword down the streets.

If I, being non-Sihk, carried a dagger into a school or on downtown streets, I'd definitely be arrested ASAP. Why the double standard? Religion shouldn't give people special consideration.

Walk down the street with a dagger in a sheath, sewn into a pouch, sewn onto your clothing. Let me know how long it takes the cops to stop you.

Is that what he did? No? Then why do you bring it up?

Is anyone saying we should shoot them? What people are saying is that you don't let religious wackos carry weapons, especially religious wackos from a religion very well-known for commiting acts of violent in the name of their religion. These people attacked each other with swords and knives over the momentous controversy of whether they could have chairs in their temple. We all have to get to the airport an hour earlier than previous because Sikhs like to blow up airplanes. We have metal detectors in court houses because Sikhs like to shoot people.

No one is saying they shouldn't be able to wear their funny costumes if they want to, but there are hundreds of religions in this country. We now have a precedent which says they can carry weapons if their religion says they should. What happens when one of the smaller and wackier cults decides this means they can carry larger blades, or firearms, and their local Diety writes that into his "laws"? Do we say no to them because there aren't as many of them as there are Sikhs, or because their religion is funnier and wierder than Sikhs?

And btw, respecting Sikhs should not include, as it has now, being so afraid of causing offense we let them murder their children for acting against their wishes.

What we shouldn't allow is people to strap bombs on airplanes, shoot other people, stab other people, or any other way you can think of murdering someone. Completely outlawing someone from carrying something with them that is required by their religion and instilled in their culture, is denying someone their freedom and outcasting them.

Sikh's do not blow up airplanes, shoot judges or murder their children. Sick people do.

The supreme court did not rule that Sikh's should be allowed to murder someone. They ruled that the school board could not lay a blanket ban on them carrying their kirpans.

You might not be familiar with the saying 'you give an inch, they take a mile'. Do not sell your Canadian values short and bow to the religious pressure. the RCMP is purley a Candian Icon.

Ever check my profile? That would have proved you wrong in one single second.

He's implying that native canadians were here first and they didn't treat you with the same, "follow our culture or get the f*** out," theory you claim the Sikh's should follow.

He's implying that native canadians were here first and they didn't treat you with the same, "follow our culture or get the f*** out," theory you claim the Sikh's should follow.

Really? That's even dumber than what I thought he was implying.

The natives didn't do that. Right! And look what happened to them! So much for their culture, eh!?

I was born and raised here in this country we call Canada. I think that makes me a native of this place. Regardless of my ethnic background, but I really have no idea what he is implying. And that is the thing, follow or get the f**k out. If you do not like our rules/ways of life, then Canada is NOT for you then. Simple as that. I am asking them to respect a Canadian tradition/icon/establishment. Wear the hat.

Continue if you must, but this if my final stance on it.

I was born and raised here in this country we call Canada. I think that makes me a native of this place. Regardless of my ethnic background, but I really have no idea what he is implying. And that is the thing, follow or get the f**k out. If you do not like our rules/ways of life, then Canada is NOT for you then. Simple as that. I am asking them to respect a Canadian tradition/icon/establishment. Wear the hat.

Continue if you must, but this if my final stance on it.

So true. If you don't want to wear the uniform, find a different job.

You don't apply for a job and have them re-create the uniform around your tastes. Unbelievable.

Oh boo hoo they will feel like outsiders. They should be lucky we let them come to this country because most of them come from evil tyranical murdering governments, so when they come to Canada they should shut up and be happy they are aloud to vote and live in a free country.

One word: Assimilation

You see that's the thing about our charter of rights. Either everybody has them or no one has them. If you are allowed to force these people to assimilate, what happens when someone bigger and stronger (or more populous) comes along and forces you to change your ways?

I will assume you oppose the language laws in Quebec. The funny thing is, what you are recommending is pretty much the same thing. You feel your society is threatened by this display of religion and diversification (english language in PQ). The only way you know how to fight back against it is to ban it. Again, I don't think Canadian values are going to fail simply because of Kirpans and turbans. And if it is so fragile, is it worth saving?

No I don't oppose the language laws of Quebec I just think if you come to Canada you should have to learns either French or English both (both official languages) Than once you assimilate be like rest of Canada not wearing dress wear that date back to 1200 AD than we will talk abou tyour rights and freedoms in Canada! Am I right? When a person from another foreign country comes to Canada for a day and tells a person like me whoes family has lived here for decades it kind of pisses me off. Especially since I wouldn't get away with wearing a Kirpan if I was a white turban bearer.