Canadian Jewish Congress on Cartoons

August1991

I am quoting below the entire CJC press release (which I'm sure infringes no copyright):

TORONTO – Canadian Jewish Congress National President Ed Morgan made the following statement regarding the controversial publication of cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed in newspapers in a number of countries including Canada:

“We are saddened by a situation that has gotten entirely out of hand. The decision by all those who chose to publish the cartoons is inexcusably provocative, insensitive and disrespectful of Muslim believers. At the same time, we strongly denounce the verbally and physically violent reaction to their publication by so many of those same believers.

“We commend Canada’s Muslim community for the civility with which it has protested and those media who have decided not to republish the cartoons. We regret that there are some in the media and elsewhere who have taken the misguided step of using these cartoons as a means to defend freedom of expression.

“We join those Muslims and non-Muslims who have been appalled by the response to the publication of the cartoons and condemn those groups and regimes that have fanned the flames for their own political ends. We stand in solidarity with the Danish people whose institutions are being attacked and whose products are being boycotted, and with whom we have a special historic connection. We remember with gratitude the exceptional role Denmark played in rescuing its Jewish citizens from the Holocaust.

“Freedom of expression and the protection of vulnerable minorities from group vilification are fundamental values of a secular, pluralistic democracy. These two values must be delicately balanced against one another. We hope that that calm re-establishes itself so that this issue can be discussed in an atmosphere of mutual respect, without intimidation.”

-30-

The CJC calls the decision to publish the cartoons "provocative, insensitive and disrespectful".

Then, the CJC also says that a debate about the balance between "freedom of expression" and "protection of minorities" should take place in a calmer environment.

I think these words are sensible. The CJC is entitled to its opinion about the publication of these cartoons. As a religious organization, it understandably finds the cartoons disrespectful. The CJC says we should discuss these issues when nerves are calmer.

Like most people (most Canadians?), I have usually tried to be respectful when faced in person with other people's religious beliefs - even if privately, I have a tendency to view all religion as mumbo-jumbo. To assuage my sense of hypocrisy, I have sometimes said to myself, "Religion is so much part of some people's being that how can one not respect it?"

Out of simple human respect, I cannot imagine showing these cartoons to some people I have known.

In the debate about same sex marriage, I was bothered that gay activists referred to those against SSM as "bigots". Surely, someone is entitled to a traditional opinion without being vilified. The same applies here.

Too many cruel words are being said about too many people now. Let us be more respectful, and calm down.

I am quoting below the entire CJC press release (which I'm sure infringes no copyright):

Out of simple human respect, I cannot imagine showing these cartoons to some people I have known.

In the debate about same sex marriage, I was bothered that gay activists referred to those against SSM as "bigots". Surely, someone is entitled to a traditional opinion without being vilified. The same applies here.

Too many cruel words are being said about too many people now. Let us be more respectful, and calm down.

Good post.

Calling people names is simply a club to stifle dissent, and while we need to show respect for other people's beliefs, even if we find them simply ridiculous. However, there is more at work here, particularly in Europe. This is a very good article

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financi...55-3904297e45de

Cultures collide: Muslim immigrants will be expelled from Europe unless they reverse the growing perception of them as a social threat

Young Muslims protest French government policy. French tolerance is waning.

Published: Friday, February 17, 2006

The Muslims refused to assimilate. They were expelled. This was the story in Europe 400 years ago. We are watching the sequel today.

-snip-

In the clash of cultures between secular Europeans and extremist Muslims, there can ultimately be no compatibility or compromise, only loss by one side or the other of the absolute values it holds dear. European capitulation on European soil, where they remain the dominant majority, is unlikely: Europeans revel in their liberty to mock religion, to poke fun at sacred cows, to be outrageous, even to offend.

European leaders have reacted to the Muslim upset over the cartoons two ways. Publically and to buy time, they seek to calm the protesters by deploring the abuse of freedom of speech. More significantly, they seek to preserve their societies by legislating Western norms, by tightening or ending immigration from Muslim countries, by enabling the expulsion of radical imans and other Muslim activists, and by raising the spectre of mass deportations.

In France, hard-line Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy, who in October characterized France's urban rioters as "rabble," will require non-European immigrants to sign a new "Contract of Welcome and Integration" that spells out their obligations. Among other reforms, the French government will be free to expel immigrants after 10 years. Insular Muslim communities -- commonplace today -- are outlawed. For immigrants to stay, they will have to demonstrate respect for French norms, such as equality between men and women. "If a wife is kept hostage at home without learning French, the whole family will be asked to leave [the country]," said Mr. Sarkozy, who proposes to rank countries to determine the desirability of their immigrants.

The Danes have brought in immigration laws that are stricter still, all but ending their liberal refugee program and discouraging even temporary workers. In the wake of the cartoon riots, many in Denmark, including those in government, want to see an outright ban on Muslim immigration and to have radical leaders stripped of citizenship and deported. To preserve home-grown values, Danish Minister for Cultural Affairs Brian Mikkelsen recently called for the creation of a "canon of Danish art, music, literature and film." Last summer, he stated that, "In Denmark we have seen the appearance of a parallel society in which minorities practice their own medieval values and undemocratic views," adding that, "This is the new front in our cultural war."

In Germany, which pioneered the guest-worker program in Europe, a sea change has occurred. "Multicultural societies have only ... functioned peacefully in authoritarian states. To that extent it was a mistake for us to bring guest workers from foreign cultures into the country at the beginning of the 1960s," said former German chancellor Helmut Schmidt. Germany's new Chancellor, Angela Merkel, shares his view: "The notion of multiculturalism has fallen apart," she said prior to her election. "Anyone coming here must respect our constitution and tolerate our Western and Christian roots."

more on page 2

"Multicultural societies have only ... functioned peacefully in authoritarian states. To that extent it was a mistake for us to bring guest workers from foreign cultures into the country at the beginning of the 1960s," said former German chancellor Helmut Schmidt.
Did Schmidt really say that? And in what context did he say it?

If Schmidt is accurate, what does that say about Canada?

----

STUTTGART, Germany, December 31, 2005 (IslamOnline.net & News Agencies) - A German state has said that Muslims applying to immigrate would be singled out for tougher questioning from January 1, in a decision blasted in Berlin as discriminatory.

The interior ministry of the southern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg said in a statement Friday, December 30, that potential Muslim immigrants would face a lengthy interrogation including 30 questions on their political and cultural views, reported Agence France-Presse (AFP).

Subjects would include their opinions on equal rights for men and women, religions freedom, honor killings and the attacks in the United States on September 11, 2001.

Islam Online