Frank McKenna won't run for Liberal leadership!

shoop

First Manley, then McKenna.

Just announced that he won't be running for the *big* job.

Supposed reasons: worried about how he would be seen in Quebec, huge Liberal Party of Canada debt, looking for balance in his life.

Seems like it is all coming down to lifestyle. Cool decision, but take a look at the list of potential candidates from CTV.

1. Scott Brison (Uhhhh, didn't he run for the Progressive Conservative leadership?)

2. Belinda Stronach (Uhhhh, didn't she run for the Conservative leadership?)

3. Bob Rae (Uhhhh, wasn't he the *NDP* Premier of Ontario?)

4. Michael Igantieff (Uhhhh, he hasn't even been sworn in as an *MP* yet, has he?)

5. Brian Tobin (Uhhhh, the *big name* on the list?)

Wow, what a sad list.

Natural Governing Party of Canada? Whatever?

Does anybody else want this job?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is definitely a big hit for the Lib's to take. When all the people one would expect to run for leader are fleeing the ship (or refusing to board in the first place), its a sure sign that the Liberals haven't hit bottom yet.

Ignatieff: Tough for someone to be away for several decades and say he has his finger on the pulse of the nation. Also no leadership experience whatsoever.

Stronach and Brison: Shoop is dead on. Difficult (if not impossible) (if not comical) to run for leader of 2 different party's.

Rae: Interesting thought. I don't think his NDP ties are fatal. Its worked (regrettably) for Ujal Dosanjh.

Tobin: Sadly a good politician, but lacks the vision for Canada that anyone who aspires for this job must bring. (case in point Martin's failure).

I think only McKenna and Manley had the potential to even start revitalizing the party. When these heavyweights are pulling out, they must smell defeat in the next federal election, most notably in Quebec where the Tories will be even stronger next election.

Bob Rae carries baggage with him from his time as an NDP Premier, however, he was disliked not hated as many politicians are when defeated. When you look at the alternatives, Rae looks good, plus he doesn't have Liberal baggage. He's an engaging man and very active in charitable work, managing to just keep his name in the news since leaving public life. If I were a Liberal, he would be my first choice amongst this early crop of wannabees.

I can't see the bulk of the Liberal party supporting someone who is not "established" by any measure. Even Ignatieff brings credibility through his tenure at the JFK School of Government in Harvard.

I don't see Dryden having any popularity outside of Toronto. I would consider myself a very politically engaged guy, and the only thing I knew about Dryden before searching his name on google was that he was a goalie. Not sure if that's the name recognition the party will be looking for.

Just announced that he won't be running for the *big* job.

It would be a big mistake to assume this is McKennas 'final answer'.

Since there are no other heavy favorites out there, a winning strategy would be to bide his time, then walk over water as the Liberal saviour. FRank wqill be keeping his hand close to the pulse from now on, he has an ego and wants the job (as PM)How many times have we seen 'declare early, lose momentum'? Plenty of time before any leadership convention.

Brian Tobin is a likely choice if McKenna doesn't descend from the heavens in a few months.

Wow, that is bitter.

I honestly believed McKenna when he said he didn't want to commit the time to it.

He is *not* posturing. He honestly doesn't want to spend the time required to get the Liberal ship righted ... a decade.

Can't say as I blame him....

FRank wqill be keeping his hand close to the pulse from now on, he has an ego and wants the job (as PM)How many times have we seen 'declare early, lose momentum'? Plenty of time before any leadership convention.

Dear shoop,

Dryden's name has come up. Maybe his missteps as a rookie MP and Cabinet Minister will be forgotten. Hmmm, that could work for them, but is he ready for the big job this fast?
I can't see Dryden going anywhere soon. I am old enough to remember seeing him play in the NHL, so when I heard him speak on television a couple of years ago, I thought "What a humourless lump." He seemed very 'conservative', and he actually reminded me of Conrad Black, but without the personality.

I was mildly relieved that Manley did not succeed Chretien as leader, because I thought that if Canada had two PMs in a row with facial deformities, the rest of the world might think were were a nation of circus freaks. (j/k, Manley)

Ignatieff, Tobin or Rae have the only credibility that the Liberals are presently in dire need of having.

Agreed, how about this for a fourth *credible* name? Allan Rock.

So you end up with three guys (Igantieff, Rae and Rock) having a serious shot at it.

Then you have Tobin running *just* to screw Brison out of a ton of maritime support.

Leaving Stronach and Brison as *other* candidates. Odds are one, or both, don't even make it to the convention.

What a sad race when Brian Tobin is one of the few names everyone seems to agree to be a contender.

Of all the commentators one had to watch during the election, Tobin was continually the one who contributes the least to public discourse. No matter the question, tow the party line. No matter the issue, everyone else is wrong.

What a refreshing site when on election night you had Hugh Segal, Ed Broadbent, John Manley speaking frankly about one another's party's and positions. Sad when the only people who can be honest are one's not vying for election.

If Tobin does win the Liberals will have themselves another Martin. One who wants to be prime minister, though only for the sake of being prime minister.

It would be a big mistake to assume this is McKennas 'final answer'.
I tend to agree. At the moment, this is a non-leadership race leadership race. No one wants to appear too ambitious. The feeling is that the apearance of too much ambition did in Paul Martin.

And potential leaders want to be "asked" to run.

"Contrary to the belief of some, being prime minister of Canada has not been a burning ambition for me," he said.
CanWest

----

Don't forget, the Liberals are looking at a leadership convention about a year a way. I almost feel sorry for these potential leaders because they are forced to answer now about their intentions.

Some points:

The party debt is not an issue. tml said it best: "The brand name is worth more than the debt."

The Liberals will not commit suicide with Stronach or Brison.

A long time ago, I predicted Stephane Dion and I'll stay with that now. Ignatieff will run, and although he might win, I think he is too untested.

The Liberals know that they need political operator smarts and substance. That rules out Tobin.

The Rae idea is weird.

I agree with TheloniousMonk about Dryden. He's one Dry Den.

More than anything, the Liberals need a real race - like in 1968.

Wow, that is bitter.

I honestly believed McKenna when he said he didn't want to commit the time to it.

He is *not* posturing. He honestly doesn't want to spend the time required to get the Liberal ship righted ... a decade.

FRank wqill be keeping his hand close to the pulse from now on, he has an ego and wants the job (as PM)How many times have we seen 'declare early, lose momentum'? Plenty of time before any leadership convention.

"Bitter"???

I'm not sure what you mean.

I simply outlined a very plausible political strategy. McKenna is a young and clever man. He is easily the most electable candidate, and he knows it. he Also knows the effectiveness of waiting waiting waiting. Let the Liberal executive get the Party finances sorted. Let the Tories have a little time to hang themselves. Let the lesser candidates declare too early, and never peak. Give the Liberal executive time to relaize he is the best choice. Give Canadians time to calm down after a couple of tumultuous years, when they'll be anxious and ready for a new face- McKennas face.

Then ride up the middle on a white horse and claim the prize. It has been done before, what was that guys name - Bill Clinton?

If you don't think this is possible, why did McKenna invest so much time in 2005 quitely cultivating support for a leadership bid? Do you really believe he suddenly changed his mind? Why?

Why do you think he took the Ambassadors job in the first place? Isn't it the perfect place to be visbile but not too accountable, as he would be in Parliament? It was a terrific spot to be seen but not blamed.

McKenna is a smart guy, and would be a formidable opponent for Harper.

We have not seen the end of him, not nearly.

Wow, that is bitter.

"Bitter"???

I'm not sure what you mean.

I simply outlined a very plausible political strategy. McKenna is a young and clever man. He is easily the most electable candidate, and he knows it. he Also knows the effectiveness of waiting waiting waiting. Let the Liberal executive get the Party finances sorted. Let the Tories have a little time to hang themselves. Let the lesser candidates declare too early, and never peak. Give the Liberal executive time to relaize he is the best choice. Give Canadians time to calm down after a couple of tumultuous years, when they'll be anxious and ready for a new face- McKennas face.

Then ride up the middle on a white horse and claim the prize. It has been done before, what was that guys name - Bill Clinton?

If you don't think this is possible, why did McKenna invest so much time in 2005 quitely cultivating support for a leadership bid? Do you really believe he suddenly changed his mind? Why?

Why do you think he took the Ambassadors job in the first place? Isn't it the perfect place to be visbile but not too accountable, as he would be in Parliament? It was a terrific spot to be seen but not blamed.

McKenna is a smart guy, and would be a formidable opponent for Harper.

We have not seen the end of him, not nearly.

Ah, Stephane Dion is said to be giving it a seriosu run...

What about Hedy?

McKenna's announcement increased Hedy's chances five fold. She's now 1000 to 1 instead of 5000. Poor Hedy, she still doesn't realize that thousands in Vancouver Centre held their noses to vote for her over her light fingered opponent. It's the holding of the noses part she can't come to grips with.

I'm surprised posters on this thread discount Brian Tobin's leadership possibilities. An extreme partisan, yes, a Chretienite, yes, but tenacious, well informed and with a national profile. I would guess he is the new favorite.

What about Hedy?

McKenna's announcement increased Hedy's chances five fold. She's now 1000 to 1 instead of 5000. Poor Hedy, she still doesn't realize that thousands in Vancouver Centre held their noses to vote for her over her light fingered opponent. It's the holding of the noses part she can't come to grips with.

I'm surprised posters on this thread discount Brian Tobin's leadership possibilities. An extreme partisan, yes, a Chretienite, yes, but tenacious, well informed and with a national profile. I would guess he is the new favorite.

I unfortunately agree. A co-worker referred to Tobin as a "political tiger" and I agree. He generally avoids the misfortune that brings other politicians to their knees.

Again however, should Tobin ever actually attain power we would have a Chretienesque dictatorship to contend with yet again.

Maybe they can ask Shelia Copps to run :blink::P

As Manley goes he was nothing more then a Chretien yes man, and has very little in the way of ideas unless told what ideas to have. I just can not see him even being considered, as his past ties would guarantee the liberals would soon be down to less then NDP seats.

What the ;iberals need is a completely fresh face but one with personal dynamics. Also he should not come from the province of quebec but he must speak both languages. I laughed the other night when Scoot Brisson talked about having some interest show to him running, but even he did not take it seriously. I guess they will have to find someone with the want ads :D

What about Hedy?

Tobin has no profile in the West. Then again, when did the Liberals ever care about the west?

Allan Rock is their best chance at winning an election in the next 6-8 years.

Dear fellowtraveller,

Sure he does. he is still remembered for his part in the cod wars, where our navy stared down a emitre fleet of Spanish fishing dories.
Indeed, Tobin did get some press out west for that. Besides, Alberta has the largest 'Newfie ex-pat' population, in Fort McNewfoundland.

I was under the impression that the turbot was also central to the 'fishy imbroglio'.

Tobin has no profile in the West. Then again, when did the Liberals ever care about the west?

Allan Rock is their best chance at winning an election in the next 6-8 years.

I recall his "Captain Canada" performance when, as Fisheries Minister, he threatened the Spanish turbot armada with an archived memo if they didn't desist. :D

Other mentioned contenders are hardly household names: Michael Ignatieff ... Martin Cauchon? Who are these people?

Tobin has no profile in the West

Sure he does. he is still remembered for his part in the cod wars, where our navy stared down a emitre fleet of Spanish fishing dories.

Though it is true that many Westerners don't know what a cod is, and would be very suspicious of the critter if they did know.

Oh! Oh! I know what a cod is. Acutally its pretty tasty, too bad those Easterners ate them all on us.

Tobin will no be able to make any gains in Saskatchewan or Alberta and probably not in BC. That leaves the Liberals still in minority status forever and ever amen.