Portugal swings right

6 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Europe is moving to conservatism. The woke bullshit is failing and the people know it.

I have been a liberal my entire life. 

I drew the line at being told having a penis now made you no different than a biological woman as long as you felt you were a woman.

People thinking questioning this is a crime

Victimhood. Punching up or punching down. You're still punching someone. Erosion of free speech. So many other things, and not forgetting the erosion of critical thought.

I think any intellectual or person who cherishes thinking, will not be able to stomach a very woke politician, devoid of logic and any sense of pragmatism to me which should be essential for the position.

I won't be surprised that in the next three years, the world over sees a massive push towards the right. If correct, that would be the woke hard leftist reality check that they had been drinking their own Kool Aid for far too long, and forgot to check in with the common folk on what they needed vs imposing it onto them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I have been a liberal my entire life. 

I drew the line at being told having a penis now made you no different than a biological woman as long as you felt you were a woman.

People thinking questioning this is a crime

Victimhood. Punching up or punching down. You're still punching someone. Erosion of free speech. So many other things, and not forgetting the erosion of critical thought.

I think any intellectual or person who cherishes thinking, will not be able to stomach a very woke politician, devoid of logic and any sense of pragmatism to me which should be essential for the position.

I won't be surprised that in the next three years, the world over sees a massive push towards the right. If correct, that would be the woke hard leftist reality check that they had been drinking their own Kool Aid for far too long, and forgot to check in with the common folk on what they needed vs imposing it onto them.

Agreed. And it looks like the farmers agree too.

On 3/12/2024 at 8:00 PM, Nationalist said:

Europe is moving to conservatism. The woke bullshit is failing and the people know it.

Just about the whole planet is embracing conservatism - out of desperation not hope.

When it's finally dashed there as well is when things get really interesting.

Conservatism is burdened under an enormous amount of expectation, and I doubt the desperados banking on them will have much use for patience.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

Just about the whole planet is embracing conservatism - out of desperation not hope.

Conservatism is burdened under an enormous amount of expectation, and I doubt the desperados banking on them will have much use for patience.

Patience?

I would say people are turning to conservatism, hopeful that the methods improve things.

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Patience?

Yes that's what I said. Both hope and expectations are running high and there also seems to be a sense that time is running out and that's its now or never for conservatism.

If it doesn't work out the way you hope there's always MAID.

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

Cite?

the polls are pretty clear that people are very hopefull about PP for example - what evidence do you have that they're not hopeful?

Of course - it's fair to say that the disasterous leadership of the left HAS left many people desperate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, eyeball said:

Yes that's what I said. Both hope and expectations are running high and there also seems to be a sense that time is running out and that's its now or never for conservatism.

If it doesn't work out the way you hope there's always MAID.

Well not to worry li'l buckaroo. Just killing the gas tax will makes people happy. Having a rational male as leader will be a bonus.

Have an apple. You'll feel better.

Edited by Nationalist

15 hours ago, eyeball said:

out of desperation not hope.

Not so sure its desperation. I think its literally being fed up with the alternatives. 

My views used to be highly liberal, not even 10 years ago. Now they are highly conservative. 

Alt right and unnacceptable even, if you asked Justin Trudeau.

15 hours ago, eyeball said:

Whether you like or Hate Trump, he delivered and then some, when it came down to pushing through tons of policies that helped people.

His atrocious PR, is where he truly failed, as his opponents could easily pick him apart. 

He doesn't seem to care that there is a reason why politicians are notoriously careful with their words. 

Poilievre in Canada is a more measured person. He's also highly articulate and intelligent.

I don't doubt he will improve our economy. 

He doesn't have the looks, so he understands he will be expected to deliver results.

He even openly says it. That will be the key to his survival.

Stay out of the press, and just do your job.

If he sets that standard, I don't see how Trudeau even can touch him or any similar liberal.

I don't expect the politician to change Canada. He is in over his head with issues.

But him just improving the cost of living, is massive.

Should he also be able to make massive gains in terms of lower cost apartments, he puts himself into legend status in doing in one term or two what Trudeau failed to do in two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

He doesn't have the looks, so he understands he will be expected to deliver results.

He even openly says it. That will be the key to his survival.

Funny side note -  he does not have the 'looks'.   I mean he doesn't look bad at all but he's not GQ.  BUT - his WIFE is.  And she's obviously in love with him, you can see it when she looks at him.  And there's a weird phenomenon among women especially where they'll look at the hot wife and say "well - if someone like HER is letting him bang her and she really likes him then he MUST have something going on  and i wish  i had some of whatever that is in my life " :)

Most guys know that putting on a wedding ring tends to get you hit on. Women want a guy who other women want.

So while his socks may not be particularly exciting he can still appeal to women because his wife is more involved in his campaign visibly than any other prime minister's wife in many years.

And the female vote HAS swung to him in recent months since justin broke up with his wife and PP started touring with his.

4 hours ago, CdnFox said:

And the female vote HAS swung to him in recent months since justin broke up with his wife and PP started touring with his.

She will be his not so secret weapon. 

My wife softens me, and you can see the same with what she does to him.

Trudeau just can't compete with that as a bachelor, and I don't even know how he would married.

They had that Trump and Melania energy.

27 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

She will be his not so secret weapon. 

My wife softens me, and you can see the same with what she does to him.

Trudeau just can't compete with that as a bachelor, and I don't even know how he would married.

They had that Trump and Melania energy.

Yeah, it's definitely having an effect.  And so is the whole family dynamic - she's there holding their baby who's doing baby things and they look at each other and they're so obviously a sincere family, everybody who's over the age of 30 looks at that and is going to find that entirely relatable,  like they're "one of us", not some sort of elite.

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

Yeah, it's definitely having an effect.  And so is the whole family dynamic - she's there holding their baby who's doing baby things and they look at each other and they're so obviously a sincere family, everybody who's over the age of 30 looks at that and is going to find that entirely relatable,  like they're "one of us", not some sort of elite.

Obama and his wife had the same effect. They were the only presidents I can recall, that felt like a genuine couple, and could be one of us. Not surprised when he got elected, as a result.

1 minute ago, Perspektiv said:

Obama and his wife had the same effect. They were the only presidents I can recall, that felt like a genuine couple, and could be one of us. Not surprised when he got elected, as a result.

Yes - many politicians try but most fail to give that sense.  We all remember the rather disasterous "handshake" harper sent his kid to school with, or justin making his son dress in pink with him to go see barbie which went over like a lead balloon.  But when you've got it it's very very powerful and it's hard to fake.

8 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

But when you've got it it's very very powerful and it's hard to fake.

A happy couple doesn't usually need to prove to anyone they are happy. Their energy is genuine. 

I think Pierre should do more work with his wife, showcasing his more playful side that she brings out of him.

That will make up for his nerdy appeal, to female voters.

Its painful to watch politicians try to play off that they are hip and with current times, but moving along like a piece of s*** car, letting out black soot along the way.

23 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

A happy couple doesn't usually need to prove to anyone they are happy. Their energy is genuine. 

I think Pierre should do more work with his wife, showcasing his more playful side that she brings out of him.

That will make up for his nerdy appeal, to female voters.

Its painful to watch politicians try to play off that they are hip and with current times, but moving along like a piece of s*** car, letting out black soot along the way.

Well - he walks a bit of a line. There comes a point where your wife isn't just your wife who's with you while you're running for office but rather a valid political target for others. I'm sure they've got that in the back of their minds.  But for sure - more of her is good for him.

11 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well - he walks a bit of a line. There comes a point where your wife isn't just your wife who's with you while you're running for office but rather a valid political target for others. I'm sure they've got that in the back of their minds.  But for sure - more of her is good for him.

Sophie Gregoire ditched her ex, and likely cheated on her husband. I think Poilievre's wife has little to worry about, regarding public perception.

Gregoire tried so hard to steal the show. There was a massive power struggle in that relationship.

You can tell Poilievre's wife is more traditional, in giving her husband all the light. Lets not kid ourselves, she's the boss, but she's smart enough to know that he's the one who will be running the country, and doesn't want to take a thing away from him, in doing so other than ensuring he has her full support.

Most Canadians will notice this, and will make them seem more "of the people", than an out of touch elite even if they may be the latter.

Edited by Perspektiv
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 3:46 AM, Nationalist said:

Just killing the gas tax will makes people happy.

And scrapping the CBC will fix everything else.

PP should have Canada back on track within a week. I'll be looking for a big income tax cut by the end of his 1st month.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

No, but it'll certainly be a good start :)  

PP should have Canada back on track within a week. I'll be looking for a big income tax cut by the end of his 1st month.

An overripe avocado as a prime minister would move us closer to being back on track.  Your buddy trudeau and the left are that bad.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

No yet, why keep it? Is there a reason? I know a lot of folks like the radio but...what purpose does CBC TV serve? It's expensive and does not even try to be neutral.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

why keep it? Is there a reason? I know a lot of folks like the radio but...what purpose does CBC TV serve?

The Crown corporation, the CBC, serves the same purpose as any other public broadcaster in a modern developed democracy.  To provide publicly owned and funded as opposed to privately and commercially funded - sources of content that are unique to a country and its national perspective - that is not dominated by the uniqueness of another country and often slanted towards the interests of their private owner(s).  The CBC has served that purpose for almost 90 years now and I've seen little to no sign our peers around the world are planning on scrapping their public broadcasters, especially for the mundane yet extraordinary reasons Canadian Conservatives hold dear.  

It's expensive.

It's $35 per taxpayer per year.  It's peanuts FFS.  It's been a multi-generational part of our culture for a long time now.  You people should listen to yourselves pissing and moaning about how Canadian traditions that have bound us together are being destroyed in this country sometime.

and does not even try to be neutral.

You mean like Fox? Get a grip.

Just because you people don't know how to use the bullshit filter you were born with doesn't mean the rest of us can't.  Your filters are completely clogged up with the same ideologically-driven paranoia about MSM propaganda conspiracies that has come to dominate American airwaves and that are flooding our's.

The CBC is cheap at twice the price if it helps mitigate that.

In any case, I still haven't got an answer about why PP shouldn't keep the CBC to fill the airwaves with the stuff he wants everyone to hear.  If that's what its really for then WTF is he thinking?

17 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The Crown corporation, the CBC, serves the same purpose as any other public broadcaster in a modern developed democracy.  To provide publicly owned and funded as opposed to privately and commercially funded - sources of content that are unique to a country and its national perspective - that is not dominated by the uniqueness of another country and often slanted towards the interests of their private owner(s).  The CBC has served that purpose for almost 90 years now and I've seen little to no sign our peers around the world are planning on scrapping their public broadcasters, especially for the mundane yet extraordinary reasons Canadian Conservatives hold dear.  

It's $35 per taxpayer per year.  It's peanuts FFS.  It's been a multi-generational part of our culture for a long time now.  You people should listen to yourselves pissing and moaning about how Canadian traditions that have bound us together are being destroyed in this country sometime.

You mean like Fox? Get a grip.

Just because you people don't know how to use the bullshit filter you were born with doesn't mean the rest of us can't.  Your filters are completely clogged up with the same ideologically-driven paranoia about MSM propaganda conspiracies that has come to dominate American airwaves and that are flooding our's.

The CBC is cheap at twice the price if it helps mitigate that.

In any case, I still haven't got an answer about why PP shouldn't keep the CBC to fill the airwaves with the stuff he wants everyone to hear.  If that's what its really for then WTF is he thinking?

It serves no purpose other than to promote the libs.

And if it's peanuts - then YOU pay for it.  No problem right? No need to demand MY peanuts.

Defund it and watch it burn  - it's utterly useless and we can spend the billions we waste on it much better.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

It serves no purpose other than to promote the libs.

If it says that in the law that created it then why on Earth doesn't PP simply edit out references to the Libs and insert Cons instead?

It makes no sense to scrap such an effective tool when it would be so easy to avail himself of it.  Is this the sort of acumen we can expect from him on other issues?  What if its actually something important?