Political infantilism: the curse and demise of democracy

myata

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

Sure, it's more a statement of mine, but I think it certainly set the stage for prosperity.  It gave people hope without which it might have been far more difficult to get Americans interested in going to fight the war that's cited as actually having been responsible for the prosperity that followed.

Can you cite a country that became prosperous by mostly forgoing taxation and eschewing public spending?  How about one where everyone thrived in lieu of  regulations for even better measure?  I've heard it said many times this is the true path to prosperity. Any examples where its actually happened?  And by prosperous I mean where just about everyone is living a better quality of life than people in advanced democracies.

So it's you're opinion. Notice I didn't cite my opinion but offered evidence by economists who know more than either of us.

Every country that is prosperous didnt achieve that prosperity with taxes and public spending. You've been spoon fed lies. That prosperity was built on what people like you consider to be "greed". 

4 hours ago, Yakuda said:

So it's you're opinion. Notice I didn't cite my opinion but offered evidence by economists who know more than either of us.

I'd say your evidence is closer to opinions of people who know more than us and as such, 

In the short term, New Deal programs helped improve the lives of people suffering from the events of the depression. In the long run, New Deal programs set a precedent for the federal government to play a key role in the economic and social affairs of the nation.

https://www.loc.gov/classroom-materials/united-states-history-primary-source-timeline/great-depression-and-world-war-ii-1929-1945/franklin-delano-roosevelt-and-the-new-deal/#:~:text=In the short term%2C New,social affairs of the nation.

Every country that is prosperous didnt achieve that prosperity with taxes and public spending. You've been spoon fed lies. That prosperity was built on what people like you consider to be "greed".

Our prosperity was built on there being a desire of countries to expand and grow by encouraging their people to exploit their natural resources.  You just needed a little ambition and luck to succeed. You were only greedy by choice and then greed became more of a requirement when other people's greed started getting out of control. Now that things are even tighter...greed is now a rapidly self defeating motivator.

What constitutes prosperity needs to be reassessed in terms of what's sustainable because once things become too unsustainable you end up with war.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I'd say your evidence is closer to opinions of people who know more than us and as such, 

In the short term, New Deal programs helped improve the lives of people suffering from the events of the depression. In the long run, New Deal programs set a precedent for the federal government to play a key role in the economic and social affairs of the nation.

https://www.loc.gov/classroom-materials/united-states-history-primary-source-timeline/great-depression-and-world-war-ii-1929-1945/franklin-delano-roosevelt-and-the-new-deal/#:~:text=In the short term%2C New,social affairs of the nation.

Our prosperity was built on there being a desire of countries to expand and grow by encouraging their people to exploit their natural resources.  You just needed a little ambition and luck to succeed. You were only greedy by choice and then greed became more of a requirement when other people's greed started getting out of control. Now that things are even tighter...greed is now a rapidly self defeating motivator.

What constitutes prosperity needs to be reassessed in terms of what's sustainable because once things become too unsustainable you end up with war.

No country ever created prosperity through taxes. 

56 minutes ago, Yakuda said:

No country ever created prosperity through taxes. 

Prosperity was never created in any country without taxes. Or regulations. You can't have one without the other, not for long anyway.

Edited by eyeball
  • Thanks 1